(Topic ID: 253651)

Pinball in Dentist Office?

By ktrain315

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Pinball in Dentist Office?”

• YES 55 votes
      67%
    • NO 27 votes
      33%

(82 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E0C6C7C3-22B5-4A77-A707-A749C90146AC.jpeg
    19D1C3CE-CBF6-45A4-A759-7664A7A9B483.jpeg
    A8C9092D-EFBA-4170-A263-2FF629A5239E.jpeg
    3EDFE358-0F09-49B8-B984-C993665CE1A1.jpeg
    25E43C80-2C19-44DE-A1DF-D45A9047DC2F.jpeg
    619CA6A1-A9FB-493E-B4D6-A84B98C684D9.jpeg
    FA9F1E60-EE60-4BA5-98EC-2B497F2728D0 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    20190906_130923 (resized).jpg
    20190906_130907 (resized).jpg
    20190906_130857 (resized).jpg
    20190906_093512 (resized).jpg
    20190906_093505 (resized).jpg
    20190906_093410 (resized).jpg
    20190906_093400 (resized).jpg
    20190906_093342 (resized).jpg

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

As a fellow Fairview Park resident, are you accepting new patients?

Absolutely!

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I thought about putting a pinball machine in the lobby at my veterinary office.
    I did not for several reasons. . . the mostly so as not to scare the dogs and cats waiting out there. Its not fun to try and examine a cat that is freaked out, let me tell you.
    The other significant reason is the lack of control some parents have over their children. Between the kids stomping on the animal scale, scattering fliers across the lobby, and running around while screaming (all without much concern from the parents) I thought a pin might not fare very well.
    I still brought one into work. . . I just put in in MY office though!

This is great! I may do this!

#53 4 years ago

There was a dentist out near Syracuse that had a bunch of arcade games and pins in her waiting room. She was a kids dentist but still that’s super cool. Only issue was they bought them and nobody knew how to maintain them so they ended up selling them when they broke down

#54 4 years ago

I don’t know if I dig the idea. A lot of my patients freak out with the loud sudden noises, so unless you can isolate the noise from going back into the operatories, you might find yourself rx’ing a pile of anxiolytics
    If you bring a game to a dental conference though, that’s a different story, and I’ll be heading that way.

#55 4 years ago

Have you considered Gameshow with Keith McTeeth?

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
    #56 4 years ago

My father was a dentist and he had wanted to install a tv/display in the ceiling above the chairs and hook up a game system (for ex - Atari, Intellivision, Nintendo) so that patients could play a game while having work done. I bet patients would move around too much, but if there was a dentist near me that had that set up, I'd become be a patient of that dental office .

He did a lot of reconstructive work (long procedures) - he had a redwood (circular) hot tub outside on the deck and sometimes patients would take break and sit in the tub for a while and then resume treatment. This was back in the early 80's - good times!

edit: I meant to add: a pin would be cool. I like the idea of a multicade a little better due to noise concerns, especially for other patients who might be waiting and who might be on edge...

#57 4 years ago

My dentist in the early 80's had a Haunted House pin.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from ktrain315:

I'm a dentist and I'm thinking about putting one of my pinball machines (on free play) in my patient waiting room. Maybe like an EM because its simple and has the ding and dong and all that. My staff isn't too thrilled. What do you think, is it a dumb idea?

Do it. One of my friends is a dentist and is hugely into pinball. He has an EM in his office for his clients to play.

#59 4 years ago

I would say absolutely go for it. You have an opportunity to expose people to pinball who might not have the chance. I wouldn't worry too much about the game getting beaten up. I mean these things regularly go in bars for crying out loud.

Maybe you'll encourage some kid to start playing regularly.

#60 4 years ago

To dampen EM chimes for someone whose ears are sensitive, I put a doubled rubber band around one end of each chime, and that softened them while allowing a tone, albeit a bit clunkier.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

Maybe you'll encourage some kid to start playing regularly.

...or to say “Mommy, lets always go to THIS dentist!”

#62 4 years ago

growing up my orthodontist had a 4 banger neogeo cabinet in his waiting room. There was a donkey kong before the neo geo.

i loved it.

#63 4 years ago

I briefly had the perfect machine for you...

0F20CEB6-6F28-4613-B2C7-3FF155B61B54 (resized).png0F20CEB6-6F28-4613-B2C7-3FF155B61B54 (resized).png
    #64 4 years ago

I have a friend who owns a dental office and I helped him aquire 2 pins to put in the waiting area. Its a huge hit and constantly gets positive compliments. He also has a video game cocktail table that rarely gets used.

#65 4 years ago

Do it!!

An Orthodontist here has a MB he bought from Slash, a multicade, and his rock n roll memorabilia, most of it in the waiting room. He plans to add a rock pin soon. I recently serviced the MB.
    20190906_093512 (resized).jpg20190906_093512 (resized).jpg
    20190906_093505 (resized).jpg20190906_093505 (resized).jpg20190906_093342 (resized).jpg20190906_093342 (resized).jpg20190906_093400 (resized).jpg20190906_093400 (resized).jpg20190906_093410 (resized).jpg20190906_093410 (resized).jpg20190906_130857 (resized).jpg20190906_130857 (resized).jpg20190906_130907 (resized).jpg20190906_130907 (resized).jpg20190906_130923 (resized).jpg20190906_130923 (resized).jpg

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

An Orthodontist here has a MB he bought from Slash, a multicade, and his rock n roll memorabilia, most of it in the waiting room. He plans to add a rock pin soon. I recently serviced the MB.

That is an impressive collection.

If I did not see the dental chair sitting in the middle of everything I'd think that was his man cave at home. . . wonder if there is a Mrs. that does not want his stuff in the house.

#67 4 years ago

Get a Ghostbusters. That scream will go over really well.

#68 4 years ago

Looks like Todd sold a Time Warp to a Dentist for this very reason... at 3:25..."he's a dentist, he has 4 or 5 games in his office..."

#69 4 years ago

Do it!!
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice. You can listen to NIN while getting your teeth drilled.

" You let me penetrate you"

#70 4 years ago

Do it!!

Wow, that’s crazy!

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from ktrain315:

Wow, that’s crazy!

He doesn't think so. Patients love the stuff.

#72 4 years ago

I've repaired video games, miss pac, paper boy,galaps Mario for local children's dentist. They are in small room off main waiting room. Kids love it. Keep telling dentist he needs to schedule regular check ups for games just calls when games have toothache.

#73 4 years ago

Ok, so I posted this same question on a Facebook dentist group and most responders are all for it, except the noise. I’ll see if I can dampen the chimes a bit.

#74 4 years ago

Free crown to the person who has a new high score?

#75 4 years ago

If a podiatrist's office can have an EM pin, so can a Dental office.

#76 4 years ago

Im 39 and I still remember my childhood dentist. He had a Astroids and a EM pin. Cant remember which one but enjoyed playing it. My first introduction to pinball.

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from rad:

My father was a dentist and he had wanted to install a tv/display in the ceiling above the chairs and hook up a game system (for ex - Atari, Intellivision, Nintendo) so that patients could play a game while having work done. I bet patients would move around too much, but if there was a dentist near me that had that set up, I'd become be a patient of that dental office .
    He did a lot of reconstructive work (long procedures) - he had a redwood (circular) hot tub outside on the deck and sometimes patients would take break and sit in the tub for a while and then resume treatment. This was back in the early 80's - good times!
    edit: I meant to add: a pin would be cool. I like the idea of a multicade a little better due to noise concerns, especially for other patients who might be waiting and who might be on edge...

My kids dentist has a PlayStation above each chair for them.

#78 4 years ago

Despite being a pinhead, I think I'd rather chill and watch HGTV and read Pinside while I wait.

I think a lot of it might depend on the size of the waiting room. Big or small?

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I think I'd rather chill and watch HGTV

Haha! No shit. Laying back in that chair with the remote in hand while the narcotics take affect.

I don't see why the waiting room can't be more traditional.

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg
    #80 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Haha! No shit. Laying back in that chair with the remote in hand while the narcotics take affect.
    I don't see why the waiting room can't be more traditional.[quoted image]

Gallant folds his clothes and places them in the proper dresser drawer.

Goofus throws his shit on the floor.

#81 4 years ago

I don't like going to the dentist that much, but if there would be a pin in his waiting room it would be a loud nicer

#82 4 years ago

I bought an Addams family out of a dentists office who was retiring last year. Definitely my vote yes.

#83 4 years ago

No way, don’t do it. Not in the waiting room.

I’m in hundreds of dental offices every year and I’ve never seen it...not once. Always wanted to for my own personal satisfaction, but I would advise against it.

Not professional at all unless your a pin head.

———-

In your office or the break room? Then go for it.

Maybe you can pull it off, but I guarantee most patients will not like it.

#84 4 years ago

My Uncle was an orthodontist on the late 80 and 90s and he had a stern trident and a few arcade games in his home office waiting rooms. I would spend summers up there and would play Trident all day. It is now why I have my current pinball affliction. Go for it his patients loved them.

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from ktrain315:

The wait times are pretty short usually

It sounds like you are a family dentist office that runs a tight ship. Every time I visit my dentist I sign in at the front and then sit down and open up a magazine. Usually I am called back within 5 minutes or so after arrival, unless I arrive early. As much as I want to say yes because I am a pinhead, I would have to say no for the waiting area but yes to your personal office space. Your receptionist and office staff should not have to be bothered with the interruption of a pinball in the waiting room. "Ok Charles we are ready to take you back now-ok hold on I am almost done with my game." Or just the banging on a pinball in a small area would get annoying really quick for your staff. If you want to share the pinball with your patients then ask certain patients that you think would dig it-to come in your office and check it out.

That rock and roll dental office looked cool, but all I could think about was that it is not ideal to mix collectables in an environment full of contaminants. Trying to keep a sanitized environment that looks professional is key to a successful dental practice.

Pinball in waiting area-No
    Pinball in personal office space-Yes

#86 4 years ago

Ghostbusters.
    And when the lady screams while you are drilling a hole, i think it would be funny.

#87 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

My kids dentist has a PlayStation above each chair for them.

Just so happens they have a appointment today so here’s a picture of the set up. Tvs are attached to the overhead light pole

FA9F1E60-EE60-4BA5-98EC-2B497F2728D0 (resized).jpegFA9F1E60-EE60-4BA5-98EC-2B497F2728D0 (resized).jpeg
    #88 4 years ago

Shocked that many people voted yes.

I would certainly not want to see one in my doctors office. For one, I would just not find that to be a very professional setting imo and two, it would be so annoying lol.

#89 4 years ago

Only thing I want to see besides the doctor or dentist are some hot receptionists and assistants.

Totally distracted me as they were drilling away my perfectly good molars when I was a kid was a super hot assistant rubbing her orbs on my arm telling me she wanted me to be her boyfriend.

#90 4 years ago

Will the conversation go like this...

The bad news is.... I'm going to have to pull all your teeth out. The good news is.... We're currently running a special offer, you get a free game of pinball with every extraction.

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jakers:

My wife is a dental hygienist. They have a pin in their kids waiting room. Unfortunately, it's a Hurricane. lol

I wonder if your wife works at the one my nephew is a patient of! My sister in law messaged me the other day to tell me that my four year old nephew has been asking to go play "pingball" every day since they played a Hurricane in the kids waiting area at their dentist. (A^2 area)

#92 4 years ago
    Quoted from adania:

I wonder if your wife works at the one my nephew is a patient of! My sister in law messaged me the other day to tell me that my four year old nephew has been asking to go play "pingball" every day since they played a Hurricane in the kids waiting area at their dentist. (A^2 area)

That’s the one! I give it a wipe down and make sure it’s working right whenever I go get my teeth cleaned. Here’s what it looked like the first time I went into the office. It was a wreck, but not anymore!

25E43C80-2C19-44DE-A1DF-D45A9047DC2F.jpeg25E43C80-2C19-44DE-A1DF-D45A9047DC2F.jpeg3EDFE358-0F09-49B8-B984-C993665CE1A1.jpeg3EDFE358-0F09-49B8-B984-C993665CE1A1.jpeg619CA6A1-A9FB-493E-B4D6-A84B98C684D9.jpeg619CA6A1-A9FB-493E-B4D6-A84B98C684D9.jpeg
    #93 4 years ago

Someone waiting in the wait room to get their wisdom teeth pulled out, or a root canal won't appreaciate the loud sound. While I love pinball I would say like a few other have said put a 60 in 1 cocktail table and bring the volume down. It will be fun without being aggrevating with the sound of the flippers.

#94 4 years ago

My wife is a dental hygienist and she says DO IT!

#95 4 years ago

When I said that, I should have mentioned put in a solid state game, not an EM.

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jakers:

That’s the one! I give it a wipe down and make sure it’s working right whenever I go get my teeth cleaned. Here’s what it looked like the first time I went into the office. It was a wreck, but not anymore![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, how was the playfield under all that grime? Did the "Diamond Plate" live up to it's name?

#97 4 years ago

My daughter's orthodontist has a couple of arcade machines. She said she wishes it was a pinball machine instead. Go with a SS to control volume and I think it'd be awesome.

#98 4 years ago

..or get one of the Virtual ones. I know the object was to thin your home collection out, but the virtual ones don't have noisy bumpers or slings. You might even be able to pause a game so your patients won't mind stopping to get their work done.

#99 4 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

I bought my SM many years ago from a dentists office. I think an EM might be too loud. You can't control the volume like you can on a modern SS game.

Agreed. I see an EM possibly irritating allot of people

#100 4 years ago

I run a low volume, high quality practice. Most of my patients are 60+ and I'm in my early 30s. I've been successful by not worrying about what everyone else thinks. Do good work, spend time with your patients and treat them like you would want to be treated.
    I don't wear a tie or dress shoes, I listen to loud classic rock all day on my sonos, I'm out by 3:30 every day, I have casual Fridays, etc, etc, but I always take the ethical high road. Most importantly I talk pinball to anyone who will listen, lol.
    Just because someone who runs their office like a corporation says its a bad idea, doesn't mean that it is. March to the beat of your own drum and people will respect that.
    People don't need stuffy dental and medical offices any more. People appreciate knowing you are a normal human being. I am a referral only based office and having a conversation piece like pinball, hunting, family, hiking, etc is invaluable.
    If someone is upset that you have a pinball machine in your office, maybe you are better off letting them go elsewhere.

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-in-dentist-office/page/2?hl=dwightheinink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.