Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by heckheck
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is it worth it?”

• Yes 11 votes
      48%
    • No 12 votes
      52%

(23 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8065.jpg
    IMG_8064.jpg
    IMG_8062.jpg

#1 10 years ago

Hello all!

I am considering putting my WCS94 into a laundromat just down the street. I was wondering how much you think it would make in a month. Our town population is about 5,000. I also would like to know how I would split the profits with the owner of the laundromat. Would it be 50/50? The price for three balls would be $0.50

Thank you

#2 10 years ago

$4.50...so 2.25 for u and 2.25 for the laundromat owner...maybe $14 on a good month

#3 10 years ago

50/50 seems to be the average split operators in NH use. Keep in mind you may also have to purchase a permit to vend depending on town ordinances. Do some research before you have to pay fines > than what you bring in.

#4 10 years ago

Read up on RGP about games in laundromats. Disappear ( brand new Corvette ) or what a pin looks like after a gallon of bleach is dumped on it.

Consider checking into what you need for a license. The city hall in the city where you want to do this has a license division. They may require none to on you, your company, and game. They can guide you on any zoning ordinances to find out if it's allowed or not.

No matter the size of the city, they all have planning commissions now.

And get your own insurance. Might be a one in a million shot but if your number comes up, kiss away everything you own.

Not trying to scare you off. Just trying to encourage you to do your homework so you have the best chance at success.

LTG : )

#5 10 years ago

There used to be a CFTBL in the laundromat down the street for years. When I went in to ask the owner if he still had it, some drunk got on my mountain bike and started riding away. He lost.

#6 10 years ago

Tough to make money this way nowadays...with all you can do on cell phones while you wait. They may not be able to afford a washer and dryer, but will pay 100+ a month for an Iphone

#7 10 years ago

Lloyd, do you just copy/paste that message because it seems like you explain that every week to someone thinking of puting a game on location.
    They always think its hassle free easy $$$$

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallz:

Lloyd, do you just copy/paste that message

No.

I just try and give a quick run through of things they should consider before they discover them the hard way.

#9 10 years ago

I'd say go for it, we have 4 pins and a Baby Pac at a laundromat and they make about $30 a week each.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallz:

Lloyd, do you just copy/paste that message because it seems like you explain that every week to someone thinking of puting a game on location.
    They always think its hassle free easy $$$$

Lots do, the majority of people who find out I have pins right away say that I can probably make a lot of money if I let other people play them on location.

#11 10 years ago

Is it worth it?

#12 10 years ago

$14 a month? That's really all it'd make per party?

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I'd say go for it, we have 4 pins and a Baby Pac at a laundromat and they make about $30 a week each.

Probably the Pac man makes the most. Sad... Probably be better off just putting older arcade games than pinball.

#14 10 years ago

Try if for a month and let us know how it goes. Maybe it is easy money these days cause pins are so hard to find.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

There used to be a CFTBL in the laundromat down the street for years. When I went in to ask the owner if he still had it, some drunk got on my mountain bike and started riding away. He lost.

Okayyyyyyyyy!

#16 10 years ago

I used to go to a laundromat to just to play a no good gophers.

#17 10 years ago

I've seen pins that come from laundry mats and the humidity in there with cause the mdmf board on the backbox swell. I would just see if you can put a megatouch in there those seem to do good.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from Miknan:

Probably the Pac man makes the most. Sad... Probably be better off just putting older arcade games than pinball.

Addams Family makes the most.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Okayyyyyyyyy!

Ok, I ran out the door, did the hundred yard dash and hit him like Dick Butkus. He became separated from the bike.

#20 10 years ago

That depends. If you're asking if it's financially worth it, probably not. If you're asking whether it's worth it to do your part in supporting the hobby, it's priceless. No better way to support the hobby. Karma points out the wazoo. Granted, most banks don't currently accept karma points, but it could keep you off the highway to hell on judgement day. You would be making people (like me) happy.

50/50 split is normal. 50 cents a play is too cheap for a clean and working game. 75 cents/ 3 for $2 is better. Every location is different. There's a laundry mat with pins near me that does just fine. Good luck.

#21 10 years ago

No, don't do it. I played a Gottlieb Tee'd Off at a laundromat, and I regret even dropping by that place.

#22 10 years ago

The more pinball on location the better.
    I know that when I used to go to a laundromat, I would always make the trip to one that had pins.
    WCS is a game that appeals to casual players. Good luck.

#23 10 years ago

Ah, the good old days, when that laundromat in San Clemente acquired a brand new AFM.

#24 10 years ago

three words: hidden security camera. If you don't have security footage of every douche that decides a lost quarter, or a lost ball wasn't worth his 50 cents, he'll take it out on your machine, and it'll be your word against the owner of the laundromat (who also doesn't care, because he has his own problems to figure out how he's going to fix the heater on 3 of his dryer machines and how to unjam the dimes out of the slots that clearly say quarters only)

#25 10 years ago

I recently went to a laundromat not to do wash clothes but to play a few pins, so maybe list your game/s in one of those iphone pinfinder apps and people may just search the pinball out.

I went just to suss out a Flintstones as never played one and it was a nice looking pin with all the fancy mods and trim and no vandalism in a high rental area. The Jordan was a bit sad but that was mainly the playfield, hadn't been cleaned in ages, needed a heap of bulbs but surprisingly no vandalism as there was reason to be annoyed at putting money in to a very poorly lit / poor running game.

This place must of have had pins for many years, notice the tiles are worn all the way to the concrete floor.

IMG_8062.jpgIMG_8062.jpg IMG_8064.jpgIMG_8064.jpg IMG_8065.jpgIMG_8065.jpg

#26 10 years ago

I say go for it, that's the first place I ever got into pins I had played them when I was younger in arcades but didn't quite get them I just thought you hit the ball around with no objective. When I was 18 (39 now) a roommate and I would go to a laundromat just to play the Funhouse in there and that's when I got the bug. You may get others into the hobby the same way.

#27 10 years ago

Keep in mind, the machine will probably end up w/ severe sun fade. Most laundry mats have nothing but windows.

#28 10 years ago

I have had pinballs in laundromats for 20 plus years with mixed results. Some can do really well others not. I would not operate new locations on 50/50 anymore. The op should get 70 percent on pinballs now due to expense of upkeep.
    Wcs is a nice choice. Try for a larger percentage. Always market it to the location owner that they get a 30percent commission. If operate in laundromats make sure they are attended and have cameras.
    Good luck and with every new business venture some risk is involved. Pinball will only survive if new games are introduced for public play by people like yourself.

#29 10 years ago

I used to play pinball in a laundromat years ago. I'd go wash my clothes for fun sometimes. To this day, I still like to do laundry and play pinball at the same time. They just go together...the mind-numbing waiting for machines to run, and the time-killing wonder of pinball!

#30 10 years ago

I used to go play a TZ in a laundromat before it was moved and another pin didn't replace it. There is a BOP in a nother one that I've gone to play a few times. Nowhere close to home, but I've made a few trips just to play it.

#31 10 years ago

I first played pinball w/ friends at laundromats back in the mid 70's in West Lafayette, IN.
    I still hit up laundromats on occasion to play some pinball, but there is usually only 1 or 2 machines, and may or may not be in decent working condition.

It would be very disappointing if you put a machine out on location, and some jerk destroys it or steals it.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

It would be very disappointing if you put a machine out on location, and some jerk destroys it or steals it.

There will always be risk.

Part of the glorious world of operating.

#33 10 years ago

Laundromat humidity kills pins. Nasty environment for pinball.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Quoted from o-din:

Ok, I ran out the door, did the hundred yard dash and hit him like Dick Butkus. He became separated from the bike.

O-din - I have to say man, thanks for always entertaining me with your brand of humor. I really enjoy it.

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from heckheck:

Laundromat humidity kills pins. Nasty environment for pinball.

I disagree. Not all laundromats are bad about humidity, the main thing is keeping the game clean externally because dryer lint likes to settle.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from cireone:

O-din - I have to say man, thanks for always entertaining me with your brand of humor. I really enjoy it.

This is a true story. I always lock my bike, but I only walked 10 feet in the door. I was sidetracked trying to understand what the owner was saying when I turned around and saw my bike gone. It is an old Univega, but top of the line when new. Something inside me just snapped. I do not steal, and damn those that do.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

This is a true story. I always lock my bike, but I only walked 10 feet in the door. I was sidetracked trying to understand what the owner was saying when I turned around and saw my bike gone. It is an old Univega, but top of the line when new. Something inside me just snapped. I do not steal, and damn those that do.

Amen to that.

#38 10 years ago

From a karma standpoint, I say most pins should be put back on location.

From a business standpoint, I think the best way to make money on a pin in today's market is to buy a run down game, in need of repair, for an inexpensive price. Fix it up and sell it. You potentially could own a pin for 2 to 3 weeks and make what you would in 2 to 3 years with it on route after expenses. Your risks are minimized too.

#39 10 years ago

Epilog- In the end, I saved my 20 year old bike and ended up with a much nicer creech.

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Tough to make money this way nowadays...with all you can do on cell phones while you wait. They may not be able to afford a washer and dryer, but will pay 100+ a month for an Iphone

Lol! No shit! Isn't that the truth!

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from Tom_in_NoVA:

From a karma standpoint, I say most pins should be put back on location.
    From a business standpoint, I think the best way to make money on a pin in today's market is to buy a run down game, in need of repair, for an inexpensive price. Fix it up and sell it. You potentially could own a pin for 2 to 3 weeks and make what you would in 2 to 3 years with it on route after expenses. Your risks are minimized too.

Good advice here! If your handy (not handsy) & put time in on Craigslist, eBay, & estate/auctions you can flip pins make $ & enjoy yourself doing it.

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I disagree. Not all laundromats are bad about humidity, the main thing is keeping the game clean externally because dryer lint likes to settle.

Maybe not all, but I had a WH2O once that lived its life in a laundromat, and it did see some nasty conditions. The playfield had swelled, causing some severe planking (actual veneer splitting and curling), and lots of the chrome and galvanized parts were pitted.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-in-a-laundromat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.