Mata Horrible (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240404-001917_Google (resized).jpg
jesus1 (resized).jpg
WP_20161110_23_18_52_Pro (resized).jpg
IMG_1629 (resized).png
hop6 (resized).jpg
IMG_7041.jpeg
IMG_7042.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gornkleschnitzer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1505 5 years ago

All four legs seem to be still on it in the photo though!

3 years later
#4347 1 year ago
Quoted from songofsixpence:

The story goes, the previous owner was aware the head folded down, but either didn't care, or was not inclined to remove the head bolts first.

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Unlike an old post where they bought the body but the head was thrown in the dumpster for some bizarre reason!

Hey, personal experience! I was given a Jungle Queen that someone had tossed in the dumpster after a very careful head removal - much like the photos above, although they also made sure to make the job complete by cutting the harnesses just a few inches away from the plugs.

I *STILL* haven't gotten around to restoring it yet, however the basement mildew covering the playfield cleaned up surprisingly well. One of these days I'll get working on it. The backbox went back together decently enough with some clamps and Titebond.

4 months later
#4655 12 months ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Can't tell if the "artist" was seriously attempting to restore this Mata Hari or did this as a joke. Either way, yikes. Reminds me of that botched restoration a few years ago of the 1930's painting in Spain that was all over the news.[quoted image]

The more I look at that face, the harder I laugh.

11 months later
#5460 15 days ago

Goddammit.
IMG_20240408_081205893.jpgIMG_20240408_081205893.jpg

During trailer unloading this morning after MGC, there was a... mishap.

If you know what a backbox is supposed to be shaped like, you can probably tell this was bad. Goodbye, nice repro backglass. I am, however, very relieved that the bottom panel held strong enough to protect the display and the electronics. Gory as it may look, the damage is cosmetic, and having built cabinets from scratch, I promise the Black Knight WILL rise again.

#5464 14 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Very sorry. Glad you can bring it back without too much effort. Would you mind telling how it happened so someone else does not do something similar?
Thanks.

I guess the best all-around advice is "don't be stupid." But here's an itemized list of things that could have prevented this accident.

1. Have another person. Anyone else on the ground behind the trailer could have pushed back and prevented the game from falling.
2. Lower angle on cart. This would have been fine alone had I watched how steep I was holding the cart when lowering it off the trailer. For the other games - particularly the ones I nervously unloaded after this one - I had the cart standing at about a 45-degree angle, possibly less, which put its center of gravity close enough to my end to stabilize the games. This one, I wasn't thinking, and had it steep enough that the game's weight carried it over the wheels upon hitting the ground, thus letting it roll completely over.
3. Weigh more than 150 pounds. Or rather, don't spend the 1/10th of a second wondering if it will stick the landing, and instead grab anything fastened down to pull it back in my direction before the game's own force is heavier than me.

#5467 14 days ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

4) Strap the game to the cart, especially if it's getting raised, lowered, going over rough ground, or going up/down a ramp/stairs.

4A) Don't be too tired and impatient to bother with straps. Turns out those extra few minutes might actually be worth it. Even when you're moving five games and want to be done with it.

#5469 8 days ago

In the immortal words of Sinistar, "BEWARE! I LIVE!"

IMG_20240414_135819331.jpgIMG_20240414_135819331.jpg

Display is fine, phone camera just doesn't like the scan rate. Vacuumed up most of the glass. There were a few things that seemed oddly loose or out of place on the playfield, which is a bit odd because playfield seemed mostly untouched. Could've had things come loose just as a result of show use, not really going to worry about that right now.

The most important thing is, somehow the insert panel managed to support the weight of the entire machine (without damaging the bulbs???) and the electronics are fine. After taking this photo, I turned the volume down to pre-convention levels and played a full game with minimal troubles. It's definitely not pretty, but the parts that matter have survived. I keep reminding myself that this was always one of my worst cabinets and I'd had restoration on my mind for a long time.

Am considering throwing on some brackets and a stupid-looking printout of the backglass just to get this thing marginally good enough to join the other three games going to a local convention this coming weekend.

#5473 6 days ago
Quoted from Coyote:

That knocker goes off though, and it's going to get embedded into the ceiling.

Haha, that was the first thing I thought of when I saw it hanging there!
Honestly, I wish I could leave it that way for the time being just for the potential hilarity of a rocket launch. But unfortunately I will have to resist that urge and remove that plunger until the game as a roof again. I could easily see it come right back down and either shatter my playfield glass too, or bounce its way back into the backbox and short something on the MPU.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 9,695.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Alley

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lodi, WI
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gornkleschnitzer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-horror-pics?tu=gornkleschnitzer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.