IMG_7041.jpeg
IMG_7042.gif
aa4 (resized).jpg
aa3 (resized).jpg
aa1 (resized).jpg
20240318_205059 (resized).jpg
omg3 (resized).jpg
omg1 (resized).jpg
There are 5,474 posts in this topic. You are on page 83 of 110.
#4101 1 year ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Looks like someone was trying to throw their starving artist kid some money

I was just thinking the same thing. Most likely a relative.

#4102 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Oddly yes; went out and purchased a Firepower and Space Shuttle and for some unfathomable reason I love the Blackout better then the other two. I never get bored playing it and love the sounds it makes. Getting Blackout is maddening to pull off and I'll keep hitting the start button till I pull it off most of the time.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's not odd, Blackout is an absolutely fantastic game, one of my favorites. Yours looks great

#4103 1 year ago

Nothing to see here, just an aluminum foil backglass and cardboard coindoor.

pin1 (resized).jpegpin1 (resized).jpeg
#4104 1 year ago

Might be trying to keep out the alien waves.? Similar to aluminum cap.

#4105 1 year ago
Quoted from ClarkGriswold:

[quoted image]

Needs one of those metal locking bars across the coin door.

#4106 1 year ago

[quoted image]

Good to see its got a coin slot…

#4107 1 year ago

[quoted image]

They killed a fairly decent game for it too.

#4108 1 year ago

Very lucky indeed.

0613220945 (resized).jpg0613220945 (resized).jpg0613220954 (resized).jpg0613220954 (resized).jpg0613220954a (resized).jpg0613220954a (resized).jpg
#4109 1 year ago

I really wish people would learn what connectors are for. Apparently the easiest way for them to remove the head was cut the wires! At least the color coding and lots of shrink tubing will help fix it.

motordome (resized).jpgmotordome (resized).jpg
#4110 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Only had a pin with one or two, still shuddered at the thought.
Everything turned out all right and its my favorite SS Williams pin.
[quoted image]

Best orbit shot ever!

#4111 1 year ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

They killed a fairly decent game for it too.

Hokus Pokus.

Maybe not. If the appearance of the cab could be an indication of the rest of the machine, it might have been completely wasted play field wise.

33c7551f88c998f0f75c5a8d4422521b8b0edeae (resized).jpg33c7551f88c998f0f75c5a8d4422521b8b0edeae (resized).jpg

#4112 1 year ago

i gotta horror story for ya

PXL_20220617_040311293 (resized).jpgPXL_20220617_040311293 (resized).jpg

...could also be comedy, i suppose

#4113 1 year ago
Quoted from SonOfaDiddly:

i gotta horror story for ya
[quoted image]
...could also be comedy, i suppose

...Fixed their typo.

d6da35844ea88e037a6d5f7850fadb819a0a0914 (resized).jpgd6da35844ea88e037a6d5f7850fadb819a0a0914 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#4114 1 year ago

Went to an auction today, 90 miles round trip. Selling a Bally Star Trek and Gottlieb Qbert's Quest which is a rare widebody. I was expecting parts machines till I got there. This was the picture from the listing:

700941798_zm (resized).jpeg700941798_zm (resized).jpeg

#4115 1 year ago

I would not of taken them if free. So rotted the bottoms fell out and components were hanging by the wires. The Star Trek was so rotted that the display board latches were frozen and I almost ripped the head off pulling on them just to see if the transformer was there. Multiple mouse nests on the PF, met the brother of the deceased and these were stored in a leaky shed.

20220625_120550 (resized).jpg20220625_120550 (resized).jpg20220625_120553 (resized).jpg20220625_120553 (resized).jpg20220625_120618 (resized).jpg20220625_120618 (resized).jpg
#4116 1 year ago

Yikes. I’ve always wanted to try a Qbert’s Quest in good shape. Looks interesting.

#4117 1 year ago

Ugh, that's a shame. Such a hard game to find. I can't imagine that there's more than just a small handful of examples floating around.

#4118 1 year ago

Yeah too bad, however would have been worth getting the rare Q-Bert’s pop bumper caps and backglass in any condition. Also playfield plastics were probably good too. I came across a Gottlieb Black Hole one time that had been sitting on an open porch for years. It was really bad as well, but I basically saved a lot of parts. I just took the playfields out and some of the boards actually worked too. The cabinet was rotted, but surprisingly nice playfields, playfield glass, lockdown bar, etc…

#4119 1 year ago

I posted this in the Blackout group but it also deserves to be here, I picked this up for 60.00 even though I had 3 pinball friends with me at the time and they said don't touch it leave it there. The cabinet, head and playfield are trashed but I am going to save it. I have already found a replacement cabinet, head and a playfield that's good enough for a Hard Top and have tumbled all the metal parts and dumped the post and other odds and ends in the ultrasonic cleaner. The backglass and boards look decent but my plan is to get it back together for now and next year start a high end restore on it once my new worksop is done.
Jeff

bo1 (resized).jpegbo1 (resized).jpegbo5 (resized).jpegbo5 (resized).jpegbo2 (resized).jpegbo2 (resized).jpegbo4 (resized).jpegbo4 (resized).jpegBO19 (resized).jpegBO19 (resized).jpegBO20 (resized).jpegBO20 (resized).jpegBO21 (resized).jpegBO21 (resized).jpegBO22 (resized).jpegBO22 (resized).jpegbo playfield (resized).jpegbo playfield (resized).jpeg

#4120 1 year ago

Wow that backglass looks really good! Is that the one that was on the game? Nice save there

#4121 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

I would not of taken them if free. So rotted the bottoms fell out and components were hanging by the wires.

I would have put on the paint mask, some gloves, and loaded up ( I will allow I spent some time growing up on my grandparents who raised livestock, where shoving shit was part of the job ). And then cleaned it up.

Only 884 units produced !

Assume the cabinet is trash. Build another cab. Assume the cab can be cleaned up. Replacing a bottom in a cabinet is perhaps a 4 hour affair---at the most.

Here is a guy who is looking for Qbert's Quest plastics.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/qbert-s-quest-plastics

I was at the warehouse clean-out 2 winters ago where a Game Plan Cyclopes was sitting with no play field glass and 3 inches of cat shit covering the entire play field. The guy who had the warehouse deal kept the Cyclopes. The play field cleaned up nicely and was going to need only minor touch up.

Sometimes there is gold under all the shit.

Star Trek ? 17,000 units produced. Not really worth the time. But a lockdown bar and receiver have some value.

#4122 1 year ago
Quoted from Classics_Master:

Wow that backglass looks really good! Is that the one that was on the game? Nice save there

Yeah that's the backglass that was on the machine, I knew it was still worth more in parts than the 60.00 but I will have more fun rebuilding it than parting it out
Jeff

#4123 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Sometimes there is gold under all the shit.

And sometimes there is more shit under shit.

#4124 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

I would not of taken them if free. So rotted the bottoms fell out and components were hanging by the wires. The Star Trek was so rotted that the display board latches were frozen and I almost ripped the head off pulling on them just to see if the transformer was there. Multiple mouse nests on the PF, met the brother of the deceased and these were stored in a leaky shed.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Did the Q*Berts Quest sell?

#4125 1 year ago
Quoted from wildwillys:

I posted this in the Blackout group but it also deserves to be here, I picked this up for 60.00 even though I had 3 pinball friends with me at the time and they said don't touch it leave it there. The cabinet, head and playfield are trashed but I am going to save it. I have already found a replacement cabinet, head and a playfield that's good enough for a Hard Top and have tumbled all the metal parts and dumped the post and other odds and ends in the ultrasonic cleaner. The backglass and boards look decent but my plan is to get it back together for now and next year start a high end restore on it once my new worksop is done.
Jeff
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Personal opinion - please don't hardtop that second playfield. It's in far better shape than many, and just needs minor touch-up to be really nice.

Richard

#4126 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

And sometimes there is more shit under shit.

Sometimes.

#4127 1 year ago

I'd by them for $60 and strip them down for every last nut and bolt.

#4128 1 year ago
Quoted from someotherguy:

Personal opinion - please don't hardtop that second playfield. It's in far better shape than many, and just needs minor touch-up to be really nice.
Richard

That play field would restore and clear coat nicely.
Or for a little over $100.00, a play field protector could be installed. I like play field protectors. I have made 3 of my own. They smooth out the bumps and cockeyed inserts. They play fast. And they are available for Blackout.

https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/rAT3vCJbr0eDNORcmmnPKQ?catgoryid=22&name=Blackout%20%7C%201980%20%7C%20Playfield%20Protector

#4129 1 year ago

I have one on my White Water. It came with it, always wondered where it came! I will be ordering for 2 of my pins. I can’t find one for Superman.

Quoted from cottonm4:That play field would restore and clear coat nicely.
Or for a little over $100.00, a play field protector could be installed. I like play field protectors. I have made 3 of my own. They smooth out the bumps and cockeyed inserts. They play fast. And they are available for Blackout.
https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/rAT3vCJbr0eDNORcmmnPKQ?catgoryid=22&name=Blackout%20%7C%201980%20%7C%20Playfield%20Protector

#4130 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'd by them for $60 and strip them down for every last nut and bolt.

These needed seen to be believed. The rust on the components under the PF's was extreme. I found the head keys and pulled the BG on Star Trek. Half the ink immediately fell off. The display board latches on Star Trek were so rusted they couldn't be moved. I felt the head was going to tear off as I yanked on them. Even the lock down bar was wasted. The lock down bar release lever was frozen. Plus my machine tear down kit doesn't include a Haz-Mat suit.

#4131 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

These needed seen to be believed. The rust on the components under the PF's was extreme. I found the head keys and pulled the BG on Star Trek. Half the ink immediately fell off. The display board latches on Star Trek were so rusted they couldn't be moved. I felt the head was going to tear off as I yanked on them. Even the lock down bar was wasted. The lock down bar release lever was frozen. Plus my machine tear down kit doesn't include a Haz-Mat suit.

I still would have paid $60, I have plenty of PPE

#4132 1 year ago

Kudos then. If you would of driven 10+ hours roundtrip to salvage them, my hat is off to you. I was 2 hours roundtrip and that seemed like a total waste of gas and time.

Isochronic_Frost confirmed games sold and shipped out of state. I pity the buyer who bought these sight unseen.

#4133 1 year ago

Here's a fun one... This Dancing Lady don't dance no more. Probably salvageable with some work, but make sure to keep that dust mask on, that's a lot of mouse shit...

iuSwhhi (resized).pngiuSwhhi (resized).pngR4x9bBm (resized).pngR4x9bBm (resized).png4fxxl44 (resized).png4fxxl44 (resized).pngkDShiaY (resized).pngkDShiaY (resized).png

#4134 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Only 884 units produced !

Assume the cabinet is trash. Build another cab. Assume the cab can be cleaned up. Replacing a bottom in a cabinet is perhaps a 4 hour affair---at the most.

1983 was the dimmest time for pinball when Qbert was made. The highest selling game that year was Williams FP II at 3,400 units. Qbert is rare because they didn't sell. No one cared after the 1982 video to pin game crossover, Bally Baby Pac-Man which hit 7K units and was the best seller Bally had to it's demise with Williams.

"Build another cab."

Why? To save a rusted out POS whose highest price ever sold was $4K when near mint? With a roached out PF with mouse piss and nests for what? The satisfaction of restoring a "rare" game nobody wanted when new and now a select few want?

Reality rules.

#4135 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

and now a select few want?

You would be surprised at how many people seem to want that title these days.

I could see someone spending big money on a restored example.

It's not like you would be manufacturing a whole line of them.

But I get that not everyone wants to tackle a game that needs that much help.

#4136 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

But I get that not everyone wants to tackle a game that needs that much help.

How it started.

1d73b436f844e49dfd4c4bd8be92d52a34af663b (resized).jpg1d73b436f844e49dfd4c4bd8be92d52a34af663b (resized).jpg
#4137 1 year ago

How it ended 90 days later.

I'd try and save Qbert for the hell of it.

2dff402f13c68f59f7905b81dcf2d42e373ece9d (resized).jpg2dff402f13c68f59f7905b81dcf2d42e373ece9d (resized).jpg37538611ef2d21c6c1a4a15d76db55c85fc13af6 (resized).jpg37538611ef2d21c6c1a4a15d76db55c85fc13af6 (resized).jpga464eaefb4bf6e9241bf3c427e3e7a68236c0abc (resized).jpga464eaefb4bf6e9241bf3c427e3e7a68236c0abc (resized).jpgpintastic_2021_12 (resized).jpgpintastic_2021_12 (resized).jpg
#4138 1 year ago
Quoted from wildwillys:

Jeff
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from someotherguy:

Richard

Quoted from cottonm4:

That play field would restore and clear coat nicely.

Quoted from gdonovan:

How it started.
[quoted image]

So that is 2 playfields I've had hanging on my wall or destined for my wall that people have brought back to life. I'm still amazed at how many people thrown these out or just want to get rid of them. My Space Shuttle wall hanger and Lethal Weapon 3 wallhanger are now destined to go back into games when people are ready. My old Attack From Mars overlay isn't finished by the recievee but is going into a homebrew. I'll keep throwing stuff up on my wall people are getting rid of but have a personal rule that if people will actually use them they are theirs at cost.

Long story short... never throw out pinball stuff as someone is always looking for it.

20220627_053350 (resized).jpg20220627_053350 (resized).jpg
#4139 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

You would be surprised at how many people seem to want that title these days.

I'm sure of that, pinball people gravitate what is considered "rare" even if they never played the title and just look at production numbers. Good for them. Hercules is "rare" but horrible to play. Gottlieb's last EM's are "rare" but many are crappy players. But rarity makes them desirable to a certain group.

Bally EM Evel and Mata Hari are "rare" and they are unique because they are so few from the SS versions.

Qbert was a poor playing game and even though "rare" isn't a game you'll see PF's from CPR (unless Stu owns one). I will be proved wrong when someone ponies up to have HEP do one.

#4140 1 year ago

There was a Q*bert's Quest at FPF about 5yrs ago. It was fun to play a few games on that strange figure 8 layout and get the hang of saving the ball with those flopped flippers all the way at the bottom.

Fun? its OK. Do I need one? enjoy a few plays at a show and keep waking.

Example video-

#4141 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

I'm sure of that, pinball people gravitate what is considered "rare" even if they never played the title and just look at production numbers. Good for them. Hercules is "rare" but horrible to play. Gottlieb's last EM's are "rare" but many are crappy players. But rarity makes them desirable to a certain group.
Bally EM Evel and Mata Hari are "rare" and they are unique because they are so few from the SS versions.
Qbert was a poor playing game and even though "rare" isn't a game you'll see PF's from CPR (unless Stu owns one). I will be proved wrong when someone ponies up to have HEP do one.

Lots of people buy games for the theme alone, not just because they are/aren't a good player or are/aren't rare.

Lots of people want Gottlieb Mario Bros just because of the theme, even if it's not a wicked good playing game.

Different collectors are interested in different things.

Yes, some collectors go bananas over rare EM versions of SS games, while others have little interest in them.

#4143 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Yikes. I’ve always wanted to try a Qbert’s Quest in good shape. Looks interesting.

The Galloping Ghost Pinball in Brookfield, Il has one. Played it last november.

https://gallopingghostpinball.com/games

They must not have updated their page - they had more pins than listed last trip there.

Quoted from Neal_W:

Fun? its OK. Do I need one? enjoy a few plays at a show and keep waking.
Example video-

^This- fun for a few games, but then time to move on.

#4144 1 year ago

Saw on f book

9DA8358E-2168-4E5D-82B1-144C0C6046D9 (resized).jpeg9DA8358E-2168-4E5D-82B1-144C0C6046D9 (resized).jpeg

94DF33DC-C09D-496B-8818-81DC09A79DA6 (resized).jpeg94DF33DC-C09D-496B-8818-81DC09A79DA6 (resized).jpeg

#4146 1 year ago
Quoted from rollinover:

Saw on f book
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

"*Not recommended for households with small children"

Richard

#4147 1 year ago

I like the "key to back" wire hook with the missing key. And the kitchen cabinet grade magnetic catch is a nice touch.

#4148 1 year ago

Before the dishwasher:
22A62B08-9FED-45AD-A296-CCB86E92BF60.jpeg22A62B08-9FED-45AD-A296-CCB86E92BF60.jpeg
After! Look at that!
E4DE8B42-E863-4AED-8150-56EED102A421.jpegE4DE8B42-E863-4AED-8150-56EED102A421.jpeg
Dang…D9CC2F2A-5AB5-4082-BEEC-56662B55EBD4.jpegD9CC2F2A-5AB5-4082-BEEC-56662B55EBD4.jpeg

(Doesn’t really matter, I’m gonna use this wire to recreate a different harness on a scratch build so these connectors weren’t ever going to be used).

#4149 1 year ago

I know most pinheads don’t like pinball coffee tables (I kinda dig the idea of its not saveable) but this one is worse… the pinshelf?
Bingo games aren’t my thing, but a shelf?

seattle.craigslist.org link

E328ED34-E869-4F97-B7A9-21EF9543B5D3 (resized).jpegE328ED34-E869-4F97-B7A9-21EF9543B5D3 (resized).jpeg
#4150 1 year ago
Quoted from jeep-mustang:

Bingo games aren’t my thing, but a shelf?

At least there's a place to put your Bingo cards and chips

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Myers, FL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 25.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
There are 5,474 posts in this topic. You are on page 83 of 110.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-horror-pics/page/83?hl=jethrop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.