IMG_7041.jpeg
IMG_7042.gif
aa4 (resized).jpg
aa3 (resized).jpg
aa1 (resized).jpg
20240318_205059 (resized).jpg
omg3 (resized).jpg
omg1 (resized).jpg
There are 5,474 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 110.
#3951 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The rust can come back. A cheap way to help slow it down is to spray on some spray can clear.

I'll leave that to whomever needs the parts for their machines. Once they are cleaned up a bit, I'll rinse them off and ship them to the new owners.

EDIT: Ad for the parts here.

SOLD!
Parts - For Sale
Used, fair condition - “I'm parting out a cabinet I picked up. It was from a Kings & Queens. I'm not even sure what the parts are called, but there is quite a bit here. I'm cleaning up some parts wi...”
2022-03-14
San Ramon, CA
1 (OBO)
Archived after: 42 days
Viewed: 322 times

#3952 2 years ago

Good thing glue is still cheap

spirit2 (resized).jpegspirit2 (resized).jpegspirit3 (resized).jpegspirit3 (resized).jpegspirit4 (resized).jpegspirit4 (resized).jpegspirit5 (resized).jpegspirit5 (resized).jpeg
#3953 2 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I'll leave that to whomever needs the parts for their machines. Once they are cleaned up a bit, I'll rinse them off and ship them to the new owners.
EDIT: Ad for the parts here.

ThatOneDude

1 (OBO)

Nice! Presume you already put them aside, but make sure you grab those coin chutes as well.. I know a lot of that era are missing those.

#3954 2 years ago
Quoted from koji:

Nice! Presume you already put them aside, but make sure you grab those coin chutes as well.. I know a lot of that era are missing those.

Currently stewing in evaporust.

#3955 2 years ago

Don’t forget the ball trough. A very hard part for many to find.

0022E7EA-2185-480F-A929-99FA8DE2BEE4 (resized).jpeg0022E7EA-2185-480F-A929-99FA8DE2BEE4 (resized).jpeg
#3956 2 years ago

Chicago Coin under playfield seen a tad bit of heat. Guessing an overvalued fuse....
No damage to the topside thankfully. Game on.

feelthepower.JPGfeelthepower.JPG
#3957 2 years ago

That's really amazing

#3958 2 years ago
A65BA5E0-13BE-43B3-8EFE-5435B8959C66 (resized).jpegA65BA5E0-13BE-43B3-8EFE-5435B8959C66 (resized).jpeg
#3960 2 years ago

A couple weeks ago I spent a few hours poolside and on the beach in Cancun, reading through this entire thread. The warm sea breeze, a steady stream of Modelo and Corona, and pinball gore. Now THAT is livin'.

Seeing the horrors here has me REALLY wanting to restore a dumpster fire game like some of y'all have, and it has motivated me to fix up my games a bit. Whenever I start to think "man, my games aren't really WORTH fixing up for X, Y, and Z reason", I can always look here and realize my games are actually in pretty good shape!!

Here is the only thing I'd consider a "horror" in either of my pins. I picked up a Gorgar from a buddy of mine about a year ago. Complete, seemingly all original. He had the receipt from where he bought it from an op for a few hundred bucks in 1996, and it has been in his possession ever since. After replacing a few IC sockets, it lived for a while - I think I need to go through and start replacing connectors though because it's resetting a lot. Or, maybe the resets are PSU related....

This is the bodge that likely the op who sold it 25 years ago put in place when J2 on the PSU when up in smoke:

IMG_4755 (resized).JPGIMG_4755 (resized).JPG

Three random bits of wire connecting that one pin on J2 into the power supply wiring.

Also note the piggy-backed cap just kinda hanging out there.

Pretty tame compared to most of the posts here, but at the same time - "technically", this works as it sits as the pin will fire up and play a few games. It only starts resetting when sitting idle. I'm ordering parts now to fix this mess, and will continue reading into the reset issue, thanks to this thread!

#3961 2 years ago
Quoted from aamauzy:

A couple weeks ago I spent a few hours poolside and on the beach in Cancun, reading through this entire thread. The warm sea breeze, a steady stream of Modelo and Corona, and pinball gore. Now THAT is livin'.
Seeing the horrors here has me REALLY wanting to restore a dumpster fire game like some of y'all have, and it has motivated me to fix up my games a bit. Whenever I start to think "man, my games aren't really WORTH fixing up for X, Y, and Z reason", I can always look here and realize my games are actually in pretty good shape!!
Here is the only thing I'd consider a "horror" in either of my pins. I picked up a Gorgar from a buddy of mine about a year ago. Complete, seemingly all original. He had the receipt from where he bought it from an op for a few hundred bucks in 1996, and it has been in his possession ever since. After replacing a few IC sockets, it lived for a while - I think I need to go through and start replacing connectors though because it's resetting a lot. Or, maybe the resets are PSU related....
This is the bodge that likely the op who sold it 25 years ago put in place when J2 on the PSU when up in smoke:
[quoted image]
Three random bits of wire connecting that one pin on J2 into the power supply wiring.
Pretty tame compared to most of the posts here, but at the same time - "technically", this works as it sits as the pin will fire up and play a few games. It only starts resetting when sitting idle. I'm ordering parts now to fix this mess, and will continue reading into the reset issue, thanks to this thread!

I'm looking at that capacitor and thinking: Who ever worked on this last didn't want to spend time to remove the board to swap out a bad capacitor so they thought "I'll just leave the bad part here and just do a hack job and place a second cap on the bad part!"

#3962 2 years ago

If I was on a beach in Cancun, I’d be looking at something other than a pinball thread.

#3963 2 years ago

Went to look at this Wizard.......
Machine looked and played great for its age but looked under the hood and saw this lol so I looked at the guy and asked him if the Longer bolt took in more volts than the smaller lol.....
I’m 65yrs old and remember when this machine came out and had to wait in line to play it at the bowling ally.....
We put the quarters on the glass back then but anyway I took it and am happy o did

B05491B1-1405-47B1-AB60-0DFF1B9EA60B (resized).jpegB05491B1-1405-47B1-AB60-0DFF1B9EA60B (resized).jpeg
#3964 2 years ago
Quoted from vinnypeppers:

asked him if the Longer bolt took in more volts than the smaller

#3965 2 years ago

Machine looked and played great for its age but looked under the hood and saw this lol so I looked at the guy and asked him if the Longer bolt took in more volts than the smaller lol.....
I’m 65yrs old and remember when this machine came out and had to wait in line to play it at the bowling ally.....
We put the quarters on the glass back then but anyway I took it and am happy o did

These are the sorts of images I like to point to when people say "if it's stupid and it works, it's not 'stupid'". Incredible.

#3966 2 years ago

Fuses are for pussies!
Once had a guy at my small town hardware store tell me I could use a piece of chewing gum since he didn't have the right size fuse available. Thought he was crazy, but it worked.

#3967 2 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Fuses are for pussies!
Once had a guy at my small town hardware store tell me I could use a piece of chewing gum since he didn't have the right size fuse available. Thought he was crazy, but it worked.

Hide this post from the insurance company, lol

#3968 2 years ago

We put the quarters on the glass back then but anyway I took it and am happy o did [quoted image]

Bad enough to see one bolt or some foil...

Now I am awaiting the full on mix of new "fuses" to be found....

#3969 2 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Fuses are for pussies!

I wouldn’t recommend trying this, and don’t ask how I know, but it’s possible to use yourself in place of a fuse…probably only hurts for a minute or two

#3970 2 years ago

I doubt those nails worked without some serious arching. The diameter is to small even if you tried to crimp the holders.

#3971 2 years ago

looked under the hood and saw this

That’s what happens when fuse prices hit $80 an amp.

#3972 2 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Once had a guy at my small town hardware store tell me I could use a piece of chewing gum since he didn't have the right size fuse available.

With the foil wrapper on or off?

#3973 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

With the foil wrapper on or off?

Foil removed and chewed up, that way you can shape a wad into a fuse shape, don't want to be a hack. Keep in mind this was 25 years ago on a space shuttle machine. You probably wouldn't want to do this with one of the precious snowflakes that we play with today. I still have the space shuttle and before you ask, yes it's properly fused.

#3974 2 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Foil removed and chewed up, that way you can shape a wad into a fuse shape, don't want to be a hack. Keep in mind this was 25 years ago on a space shuttle machine. You probably wouldn't want to do this with one of the precious snowflakes that we play with today. I still have the space shuttle and before you ask, yes it's properly fused.

We used to blow fuses for radios and brake lights so in a pinch we chew the gum but wrap the foil around a blown fuse,today you probably dont have more than paper wrapping the gum so I doubt it would work.P S just buy a fuse this isnt 1969

#3975 2 years ago
fuse (resized).pngfuse (resized).png
#3976 2 years ago
Quoted from aamauzy:

!

I'm not documenting a simple repair here or anything, but I pulled this board today and the cap carnage is WAY worse than I expected. The trail of "cap goo" running down from it in the initial pic I posted didn't even register when I first saw it. I'm also fairly certain the piggybacked cap isn't even the right replacement value...

EDIT: When enlarging, there MAY have been a "1" before the "2000" on the piggybacked cap. I may also just be seeing what I SHOULD see. Regardless...

IMG_4756 (resized).JPGIMG_4756 (resized).JPGIMG_4758 (resized).JPGIMG_4758 (resized).JPG

#3977 2 years ago
Quoted from aamauzy:

and the cap carnage is WAY worse than I expected

I noticed this one too, not sure if it’s an issue or not. Worth looking at.

10E786C3-2E67-4E3D-829A-75894C9F1395 (resized).png10E786C3-2E67-4E3D-829A-75894C9F1395 (resized).png
#3978 2 years ago

That one is just flux - I'm replacing all four caps while I'm in there, anyhow.

#3979 2 years ago

Shrinkage of cap wrapper plastic is usually a sign of overheating caused by partial internal short. Replacing all is the thing to do.

#3980 2 years ago

Not a pinball, but this should go well with the pinball coffee table that some other idiot made. SMH!

ms pac man chair (resized).jpegms pac man chair (resized).jpeg
#3981 2 years ago
Quoted from ClarkGriswold:

Not a pinball, but this should go well with the pinball coffee table that some other idiot made. SMH![quoted image]

I actually kinda like that. LOL. Wouldnt be a bad addition to a game room.

#3982 2 years ago

Not a pinball, but this should go well with the pinball coffee table that some other idiot made. SMH![quoted image]

Put it around the shitter in one of y’all’s mancaves…

#3983 2 years ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

Ms pis man?

#3984 2 years ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

how bout a new OUT-HOUSE cover

#3985 2 years ago

Started to plug this one in, then looked closer. A lil duct tape and she’ll be fine.

900FFC0B-E5CA-4A4A-AC36-30117877FE02 (resized).jpeg900FFC0B-E5CA-4A4A-AC36-30117877FE02 (resized).jpegE94BAC29-684B-4041-84CC-480B97BE7D85 (resized).jpegE94BAC29-684B-4041-84CC-480B97BE7D85 (resized).jpeg
#3986 2 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

Started to plug this one in, then looked closer. A lil duct tape and she’ll be fine.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Especially watch out for the knot, that will definitely restrict the flow.

#3987 2 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Shocking.

#3988 2 years ago

Not really horror, more of a WTF…guess they work this way too, so hey, WTF do I know-I’m just a dumb fat kid

8752B46D-F9DA-42C5-BB6C-9FBF8E316F23 (resized).jpeg8752B46D-F9DA-42C5-BB6C-9FBF8E316F23 (resized).jpeg
#3989 2 years ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

Not really horror, more of a WTF…guess they work this way too, so hey, WTF do I know-I’m just a dumb fat kid
[quoted image]

Actually, I can see that working quite well.

#3990 2 years ago

The horror is the awful pillows.

#3991 2 years ago

Some closure for this old beast.

20220326_144348 (resized).jpg20220326_144348 (resized).jpg
#3992 2 years ago

Couldn’t save that coil or spring?

#3993 2 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

[quoted image]

If that is real plywood, someone with a table saw could perhaps use it. Especially since a sheet of new 4 x 8 5/8" ply wood costs around $60.00 a sheet.

#3994 2 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

[quoted image]

never want to see a classic go out that way.....that side would make a nice coffee table....any luck getting the parts sold

#3995 2 years ago

never want to see a classic go out that way.....that side would make a nice coffee table....any luck getting the parts sold

Hell yeah, artwork! That’s what I did with my Swiss-cheese termite Meteor cabinet!

#3996 2 years ago

Some of the plywood is salvageable, but some is dry rotted and crumbling.
If anyone wants it, they have a day to claim it(or have someone local claim it).

#3997 2 years ago

Left flipper doesn’t work, GI is barely there, and there’s no rubber on the right flipper.

New game: Spot the Broken Flipper Rubber.

C36E66AE-0E67-4798-B48B-16C5AAAEF77E.jpegC36E66AE-0E67-4798-B48B-16C5AAAEF77E.jpeg
#3998 2 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Left flipper doesn’t work, GI is barely there, and there’s no rubber on the right flipper.
[quoted image]

No clue how it got up there. Wow!

#3999 2 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Where the rubber meets the road?

My bet is on the old rubber! Go old rubber!

#4000 2 years ago

Result of careless moving. Not as bad as it looks though.

roy_clark_busted (resized).jpgroy_clark_busted (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
€ 68.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 119.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 5,474 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 110.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-horror-pics/page/80?hl=jethrop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.