IMG_7041.jpeg
IMG_7042.gif
aa4 (resized).jpg
aa3 (resized).jpg
aa1 (resized).jpg
20240318_205059 (resized).jpg
omg3 (resized).jpg
omg1 (resized).jpg
There are 5,474 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 110.
#3801 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

he swapped out a perfectly good button (THAT SAYS START) and put a goofy flipper button there and WROTE “start” on the cabinet.

I generally add this to all my pins.

5DA5AF4B-5AF9-4C3C-A7A1-7247B43AB2C7 (resized).jpeg5DA5AF4B-5AF9-4C3C-A7A1-7247B43AB2C7 (resized).jpeg
#3802 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

you should also add: repeatedly

#3803 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

This is herbertbsharp’s game he just picked up.
This local op complained that the Stern start buttons don’t always flash.
It was explained to him that they only flash when you have credits and can start a game.
So this genius decided that sucks and he swapped out a perfectly good button (THAT SAYS START) and put a goofy flipper button there and WROTE “start” on the cabinet.
An absolute WTF moment because we coached this guy through the concept several times before he “modified” it anyway. You can’t make it up

Operators….can they get any dumber?

#3804 2 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

you should also add: repeatedly

To be absolutely clear, I would suggest "here" before "repeatedly" as well.

#3805 2 years ago
Quoted from gac:

To be absolutely clear, I would suggest "here" before "repeatedly" as well.

Push here repeatedly here. Just to be safe.

#3806 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

[quoted image]

Take a trip down Memory Lane

bronco3 (resized).jpgbronco3 (resized).jpg

#3807 2 years ago

So….I have not really been keeping track of the crazy that has been rolling thru the door the last few years but this one just pissed me off.

I grab boards on the cheap when I can either for repair or parts if I don’t think they can be saved. This one was just because I didn’t have a spare wpc95 mpu laying around so I thought what the hell. It came in with 5 jumpers run across the back of the board and 3 chips “redone”. Well I pulled all the jumpers, replaced the empty u20, and checked all the chips. they reflowed all the pins on the ASIC socket and I didn’t trust them so I pulled the socket……

14BF5258-BDF3-410C-87D1-028A50A1ED99 (resized).jpeg14BF5258-BDF3-410C-87D1-028A50A1ED99 (resized).jpeg

#3808 2 years ago

Went to Santa Monica Pier arcade and, ho boy, these on location pinball machines are rough.

DBEB6DEC-DC67-4225-9746-0065CA4DB69A (resized).jpegDBEB6DEC-DC67-4225-9746-0065CA4DB69A (resized).jpeg

“Very nice Addams. Minimal mansion wear”
F759D2B5-7F1B-4813-AFF1-BB9310C656C4 (resized).jpegF759D2B5-7F1B-4813-AFF1-BB9310C656C4 (resized).jpeg

Sexy shooter lane

42A6481B-C0CE-4AE6-BB97-1682D36D1217 (resized).jpeg42A6481B-C0CE-4AE6-BB97-1682D36D1217 (resized).jpeg

How many balls have travelled from flipper to scoop to forge this canyon on Harley Davidson?

07946AD2-9639-4651-AE24-BED671C5A6B5 (resized).jpeg07946AD2-9639-4651-AE24-BED671C5A6B5 (resized).jpeg

Shoulda used a Cliffy

7823BB77-50E3-452D-BEEF-F860FB4DE7F2 (resized).jpeg7823BB77-50E3-452D-BEEF-F860FB4DE7F2 (resized).jpeg

A little buffing and this lockdown bar will be good as new.

939F483C-1EE2-4A13-9FF4-8260C6C44A09 (resized).jpeg939F483C-1EE2-4A13-9FF4-8260C6C44A09 (resized).jpeg

My innocent son asks, “Dad, how can someone let this happen?” I could only bow my head and say, “I don’t know, son. I don’t know.”

On the bright side, the pier was beautiful at dusk

5FD18CE8-5754-4EC7-B617-BAECB71B5ED8 (resized).jpeg5FD18CE8-5754-4EC7-B617-BAECB71B5ED8 (resized).jpeg

#3809 2 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Went to Santa Monica Pier arcade and, ho boy, these on location pinball machines are rough.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Sexy shooter lane
[quoted image]
How many balls have travelled from flipper to scoop to forge this canyon on Harley Davidson?
[quoted image]
Shoulda used a Cliffy
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
My innocent son asks, “Dad, how can someone let this happen?” I could only bow my head and say, “I don’t know, son. I don’t know.”
[quoted image]

They are location pins. To help with paying the rent. How well do they play?

My OP friend would go for those beaters. His logic is high wear suggest those pins take in lots of quarters. They are his money makers. His bread and butter. To him, a pinball machine is nothing more than a tool. And tools that get used show wear.

#3810 2 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Sexy shooter lane
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Shoulda used a Cliffy
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

The same location was used for the strangest musical interlude in a film I've ever seen.

Guessing some of those pins have been there since this was filmed.

#3811 2 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

The same location was used for the strangest musical interlude in a film I've ever seen.
Guessing some of those pins have been there since this was filmed.

Big Southland Tales fan. I’ll buy this game day one if it ever gets built.
Fight Club as well.
SpookyBug …. I’m talking to you.

#3812 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

My OP friend would go for those beaters. His logic is high wear suggest those pins take in lots of quarters. They are his money makers. His bread and butter. To him, a pinball machine is nothing more than a tool. And tools that get used show wear.

A pinballs kinda like a bird dog-just a tool to get a job done. I’m an op. I look at old machines in the warehouse and think about what they used to earn. My pointer isn’t a pet, I look at him and think about how many coveys of quail he’s found.

#3813 2 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Sexy shooter lane
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Shoulda used a Cliffy
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

You're complaining about wear on game on location (and some that are thirty-ish years old)? For their age (and the number of quarters they've taken in) they look reasonably good and mostly clean.

Quoted from ryanbrooks:

A pinballs kinda like a bird dog-just a tool to get a job done. I’m an op. I look at old machines in the warehouse and think about what they used to earn. My pointer isn’t a pet, I look at him and think about how many coveys of quail he’s found.

^^ This! ^^

#3814 2 years ago

I get it that a pinball machine isn't a pet. I don't get the bird dog thing.
Why would anyone want to play those worn out pinball machines?

#3815 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I can only imagine how much those machines have taken in. I have an RFM that took in $16k and it's been in home on free play for more than 10 years. The playfield has some clear separation from a few inserts from old incandescent heat but otherwise looks good.

#3816 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I get it that a pinball machine isn't a pet. I don't get the bird dog thing.
Why would anyone want to play those worn out pinball machines?

Worn out? Was there a different set of pictures? I saw pictures of a worn scoop area (which could eventually get a cliffy), some worn inserts, and games due for cleaning. Nothing with large areas of art missing or heavy planking. How did they play? That is a more important question. If those games are dialed in with strong flippers, lights that all work, and switches that all register) then that's what is about. Many locations will have dim lighting and most people may not notice some cosmetic flaws. If it works and plays well then a few blemishes aren't going to ruin the fun factor. I'd rather play games like this with a bit of wear than one that is perfect but has one of those horrid color bombed overly bright LED kits off ebay that turn every machine purple. Those I would have an issue playing and sort of ruins the fun factor playing.

#3817 2 years ago

The biggest operator told me many years ago about EBD on location with totally worn out playfield that made lots of coin at a bar. They installed a new playfield & returned it to the bar. The customers did not like how it played (too fast & hard). So after the serious decline in revenue they pulled the pin. Lots of people will still enjoy a worn out pin if it plays ok!

#3818 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Worn out? Was there a different set of pictures? I saw pictures of a worn scoop area (which could eventually get a cliffy), some worn inserts, and games due for cleaning. Nothing with large areas of art missing or heavy planking.

Looks pretty bad to me.

ef8ee618b9606676bf9c77c2f53468eb360a21fd (resized).jpgef8ee618b9606676bf9c77c2f53468eb360a21fd (resized).jpg
#3819 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Looks pretty bad to me.
[quoted image]

Definitely overdue for cleaning and probably should have had the balls replaced much more often. That may look a bit worse than the others but on location unless it is in a well lit area many people may not focus on that or notice. How bad does it look when you are playing and not zoomed right on that area? If it plays really well and everything is functioning then many players may not notice that or focus on that.

#3820 2 years ago

If it plays really well and everything is functioning then many players may not notice that or focus on that.

With few exceptions (The Sanctum in CT for example or WMPC!) most pinball machines I have played on location have issues, some major. Anyplace which has more than just pinballs doesn't seem to care about keeping them running correct and clean.

Seeing those on the pier I'm not the least bit surprised and I'd not even bother dropping coin in them.

#3821 2 years ago

Worn out? Was there a different set of pictures? I saw pictures of a worn scoop area (which could eventually get a cliffy), some worn inserts, and games due for cleaning. Nothing with large areas of art missing or heavy planking. How did they play? That is a more important question. If those games are dialed in with strong flippers, lights that all work, and switches that all register) then that's what is about. Many locations will have dim lighting and most people may not notice some cosmetic flaws. If it works and plays well then a few blemishes aren't going to ruin the fun factor. I'd rather play games like this with a bit of wear than one that is perfect but has one of those horrid color bombed overly bright LED kits off ebay that turn every machine purple. Those I would have an issue playing and sort of ruins the fun factor playing.

For real. People are way too hung up on cosmetic issues. Wear on scoops and even playfields has to be pretty bad to really affect gameplay. Even on that Harley Davidson, the travel of a slow moving ball could be affected by that wear line in the mylar. But even then, you can probably adjust to it real quick, especially when you are just playing a few games on location. If the flippers, switches, mechs, and insert lights work, you can have a ton of fun on a machine that doesn't look great. Its meant to be played, not looked at and inspected.

#3822 2 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Sexy shooter lane
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Shoulda used a Cliffy
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I played that AF 7 years ago and the flippers were week, but still had fun with it. I was just happy to see a row of pinball machines.

#3823 2 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I was just happy to see a row of pinball machines.

This.

#3824 2 years ago

I should have taken pictures of the cocktail arcade I saw today! Wasn’t thinking I just wanted to leave without buying it. Felt too much pressure to buy his garbage! He thought it was the holy grail of Arcade machines! Lol

#3825 2 years ago

Virginia Beach, IIRC one of the flippers didn't work

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3826 2 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Holy moly. I’ve never seen a scoop that large since the gobble hole on South Park. (Credit: Jake )

#3827 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Holy moly. I’ve never seen a scoop that large since the gobble hole on South Park. (Credit: Jake )

There’s an original MB on route in Paris like that at a bar I go to.
Been constantly operated since the 90s and the OP rebuilds the scoop hole with bondo when it gets too blown out. Dudes machines seem to play 100% and are well maintained, just really heavily played.

#3828 2 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Yep. Flipper McCoy’s. Believe it or not, that place was a pinball Mecca back in the 70s and early 80s. Now they can’t be bothered with cleaning and maintaining the few pins that they still have. Sad.

#3829 2 years ago

What I like about this pic is that despite the however many thousands of shots to that scoop that it took to wear away all that wood, this plastic isn’t even cracked.

69D984CB-9E04-4C7C-BF51-932BE4C976AA (resized).jpeg69D984CB-9E04-4C7C-BF51-932BE4C976AA (resized).jpeg
#3830 2 years ago

RUSH pro after 24 days on location in a grocery store.

20220223_132030 (resized).jpg20220223_132030 (resized).jpg
#3831 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

[quoted image]

Yikes!

#3832 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

There’s an original MB on route in Paris like that at a bar I go to.
Been constantly operated since the 90s and the OP rebuilds the scoop hole with bondo when it gets too blown out. Dudes machines seem to play 100% and are well maintained, just really heavily played.

You can't imagine how many MB and MM I've seen in that shape. Those pins should be closed to one million's play.... never been stored...

#3833 2 years ago

[quoted image]

Looks like an opportunity for a cliffy that covers both those scoops.

#3834 2 years ago
Quoted from Asmig:

Looks like an opportunity for a cliffy that covers both those scoops.

Yeah, I'm scratching my head. Why is there no Cliffy from the factory? Stern trying to save some money?

#3835 2 years ago

[quoted image]

Holy crap. 3 weeks of play in a grocery store? That’s crazy. Is Stern using balsa wood to solve supply chain issues? Where are the Cliffys standard on new pins? Stern, JJP, etc., should be contracting with Cliff to design and produce these for all new pins. That’s sad to see.

#3836 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

What I like about this pic is that despite the however many thousands of shots to that scoop that it took to wear away all that wood, this plastic isn’t even cracked.
[quoted image]

I think its funny that the hole is so large you can see the wiring under the playfield

#3837 2 years ago

[quoted image]

Wow, that's bad. Does Stern have a QC department or does every machine just get loaded on a truck once it's assembled on the production line? Man, they don't make things like they used to these days. One way to kill off demand.

#3838 2 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

You can't imagine how many MB and MM I've seen in that shape. Those pins should be closed to one million's play.... never been stored...

I’m impressed with how many of them there are in France.
France had to be the biggest foreign buyers of these titles in the 90s.

#3839 2 years ago

This issue is common on the first run of RUSH pro. It is reported everywhere (podcasts/pinside) that they have some fix applied to the LE and future runs.

#3840 2 years ago

Just a little wood glue and Novus, it'll be good as new

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3841 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

[quoted image]

Please don't use #44 bulbs or Novus on the playfield, it will ruin it!

#3842 2 years ago

At least it’s not a fuse.

#3843 2 years ago

It just needs leg protectors.

DD904EF7-33BF-4D0D-9FD9-ED0AA0B34F6C (resized).jpegDD904EF7-33BF-4D0D-9FD9-ED0AA0B34F6C (resized).jpeg
#3844 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

It just needs leg protectors.
[quoted image]

... and new legs to go wit them ...

#3845 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

That looks like the one I went to look at....the lady was asking $250. Wish I had seen pics before I went there. I didn't even take it for free.

#3847 2 years ago

$12,345 seems about right!

#3848 2 years ago
Quoted from Zartan:

$12,345 seems about right!

The inside of the back-box seems to be okay though. pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3849 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

It's just a flesh wound.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 39.50
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 119.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

€ 7.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
There are 5,474 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 110.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-horror-pics/page/77?hl=ryanbrooks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.