IMG_20240408_081205893.jpg
Mata Horrible (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240404-001917_Google (resized).jpg
jesus1 (resized).jpg
WP_20161110_23_18_52_Pro (resized).jpg
IMG_1629 (resized).png
hop6 (resized).jpg
IMG_7041.jpeg
There are 5,483 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 110.
#3452 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

If someone insists on cutting off the chip rather than desoldering, a nipper tool is a much better option.

I always nip the chip leads as close to the chip as possible and then remove the pins, one at a time. Seems like the risk of board damage is much less this way, but YMMV.

#3453 2 years ago
Quoted from someotherguy:

Dremel can be quite an effective way

Thats how i do it

#3454 2 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Someone tried to repair a WPC95 CPU-board and used a Dremel to remove the old ICs and then used a 300W solder iron to remove the remains of the traces and solder pads. Then placed sockets on it, making multiple shorts.
as you can imagine, the CPU didn't boot.[quoted image]

What is the proper temperature to use in this scenario?

#3455 2 years ago

For this I used a temperature controlled solder iron, set to about 250℃/480℉ and a fixed 12Watt iron that is perfect for the small traces.

btw, the board does boot now after ~20 stitches. Tomorrow test all I/O signals.

front (resized).pngfront (resized).png

back (resized).pngback (resized).png

#3456 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

What is the proper temperature to use in this scenario?

Temperature is dependent on the solder alloy you use.

https://www.kester.com/knowledge-base/alloy-temperature-chart

#3457 2 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Back in my early board repair days, I tried the dremel method.

I did a DMD board with a 4 sided surface mount chip, it takes a steady hand.

Someone suggested heating one pin at a time and bending the leg back and moving to the next which sounds like a safer course of action next time.

#3458 2 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

What's the spinner from? Looks Myan

That spinner is from a Williams Aztec, odd that was used as a replacement.

#3459 2 years ago
Quoted from Classics_Master:

That spinner is from a Williams Aztec, odd that was used as a replacement.

It cracked me up. Not sure why they had it in storage.
Does anyone stock the proper one so I can convert it to original? It looks like it uses a strange skinny spinner.
This OP did some crazy hacks to his games. I’m restoring them back now and routing them. He was shocked they actually earn money when they’re working properly!

#3460 2 years ago

It cracked me up. Not sure why they had it in storage.
Does anyone stock the proper one so I can convert it to original? It looks like it uses a strange skinny spinner.
This OP did some crazy hacks to his games. I’m restoring them back now and routing them. He was shocked they actually earn money when they’re working properly!

#3461 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Seller has two other in box games that were "In Storage" for sale, @$10K and $12K (Avengers and Avengers "Hulk").

In 2019 I bought a NIB X-Men Magneto and a NiB Hulk LE for $6k each. Things sure have changed!

#3462 2 years ago

Kicking myself for not getting any pictures of the Bally Vector at the Houston area arcade show last weekend. Covered top to bottom with a glued on puke green fabric. Cab, legs and even the legbolts. Hilariously horrific!

#3463 2 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Kicking myself for not getting any pictures of the Bally Vector at the Houston area arcade show last weekend. Covered top to bottom with a glued on puke green fabric. Cab, legs and even the legbolts. Hilariously horrific!

It's in the Pinball News article on the show --
https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2021/11/12/houston-arcade-expo-2021

Almost looks guacamole-like...

B-V-green_cab.jpgB-V-green_cab.jpg
#3464 2 years ago

How many games were played (without a rubber tip) to “mushroom” this bad?

0C20ADE7-73B8-4A19-B914-FD4043922DE4 (resized).jpeg0C20ADE7-73B8-4A19-B914-FD4043922DE4 (resized).jpeg55A4306A-AD43-4E38-935E-38DAE186AED4 (resized).jpeg55A4306A-AD43-4E38-935E-38DAE186AED4 (resized).jpeg
#3465 2 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

[quoted image][quoted image]

What did the ball in the game look like??

#3466 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

What did the ball in the game look like??

mg20227131.700-3_300 (resized).jpgmg20227131.700-3_300 (resized).jpg

#3467 2 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

Looks like a jacketed hollow point.

#3468 2 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Looks like a jacketed hollow point.

Somebody was getting really pissed off about not making the skill shot.

Richard

#3469 2 years ago

The playfield must have been worn to the wood

#3470 2 years ago

Pretty close to the rock pic!

Can’t wait to get this one cleaned up and back together!

6DB820AB-CF60-4FA6-AC9F-14B9E0C3EBCB (resized).jpeg6DB820AB-CF60-4FA6-AC9F-14B9E0C3EBCB (resized).jpeg
#3471 2 years ago

Should shine right up !

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#3472 2 years ago

Beltmann did this one!

2285C747-CA55-490C-A009-61B558DCA014 (resized).jpeg2285C747-CA55-490C-A009-61B558DCA014 (resized).jpeg68FDD2FD-4346-4C7E-A44A-B065B2AD34FF (resized).jpeg68FDD2FD-4346-4C7E-A44A-B065B2AD34FF (resized).jpeg
#3473 2 years ago
Quoted from surfsidedetail:

Beltmann did this one!

How?! And why always Elviras?

#3474 2 years ago

They’re too top heavy.

#3475 2 years ago

Beltmann did this one!

That one made my rusty old balls cringe!

#3476 2 years ago
Quoted from mackey256:

They’re too top heavy.

elvira or the pinball machines

#3477 2 years ago

Beltmann did this one!

I don't buy it, there's no shard of glass on the ground.

#3478 2 years ago

From a gottlieb Cinderella.

Resized_20180503_212057 (resized).jpegResized_20180503_212057 (resized).jpeg
#3479 2 years ago

Beltmann did this one!

Looks like a nice game from that angle/ sorry Man.

#3480 2 years ago
Quoted from FlipperFix:

From a gottlieb Cinderella.
[quoted image]

Consider yourself lucky they didn't use longer screws.

#3481 2 years ago

Beltmann did this one!

#3482 2 years ago

Beltmann did this one!

That's the main reason you should never, ever, ship games standing up on their legs!!! They should always be blanketed and wrapped and strapped to a pallet. Sure, they can damage it that way, too, but it's much less likely.
I will move a pinball machine with a pinjack across a room, but if it's going to another floor or another location, the legs come off and it gets dollied around safely and securely.

I have several games including a TZ and a Road Show that both need new leg reinforcing plates because the old ones are all stripped out from the previous owners MOVING THE GAMES ON THEIR LEGS!!!

I think that's also the main reason cabinets split at the corners, on newer and older games. Nobody tilts games hard enough to do that kind of damage. It happens because the game was moved around everywhere with its legs on.

Friends don't let friends ship pinball machines with the legs on!

#3483 2 years ago
Quoted from DCP:

Nobody tilts games hard enough to do that kind of damage.

challenge-accepted.gifchallenge-accepted.gif
I've seen someone shove a machine against a wall so hard the front legs lifted about 6". I wouldn't be surprised if people have done worse.

#3484 2 years ago

I was gonna say shipping on legs
RED FLAG

People don’t know how to move games with legs on let alone with a forklift!!

One guy I met had an entire football team move a game out of his basement completely in tact

YOU REALLY THINK thats how these were intended to be moved??

I took the head and legs right off and it was Oh didn’t know they did that….

#3485 2 years ago

These are the same geniuses that don't realise a Jones connector is... a connector...

#3486 2 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

These are the same geniuses that don't realise a Jones connector is... a connector...

I bought a Freedom 76 with the harness cut 5cm from the Jones plugs... that was the definition of tedium putting it back together.

#3487 2 years ago

Beltmann did this one!

No shrink wrap, straps with protectors. Just that moving blanket.

I shipped an AIQ Pro with legs on across the country - the guy that picked it up was delivering about 6 pins to berk, so he knew how to properly protect machines in transit.

I'm in the legs off and strapped to pallet club myself but if the buyer wants to take the risk... at least Beltman did a great job with our last legs on transaction.

#3488 2 years ago

I have been shipping games for over 20 years on legs It’s perfectly fine. I’ve seen pictures and heard stories of crated games with the fork driven through them so I don’t imaging one method is better than the other….

#3489 2 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

I bought a Freedom 76 with the harness cut 5cm from the Jones plugs... that was the definition of tedium putting it back together.

My first pin was a Duotron with the head removed and all wiring neatly cut. Beltman brought my Bobby Orr with legs on and a blanket around the head which was wobbling like a drunken sailor. Had to rebuild the neck but it wasn't bad from the move. Was already rotten.

Shawn

#3490 2 years ago
Quoted from Pintopia:

I have been shipping games for over 20 years on legs It’s perfectly fine.

It's "perfectly fine" except that it causes hidden damage to the machines that eventually causes problems. Someone else in the future ends up having to deal with it.

I'm sticking with my slogan - "Friends don't let friends ship pinball machines with the legs on!"

#3491 2 years ago
Quoted from DCP:

It's "perfectly fine" except that it causes hidden damage to the machines that eventually causes problems.

I agree that shipping on the legs is generally less secure than heavily wrapped on the back and on a pallet. I’ve shipped them both ways many times, and I’ve twice had the legs arrive bent. What isn’t as obvious is all the strain on the leg brackets and cabinet from the game being slid, dragged or snagged when the game is improperly moved. It’s not that shipping on the legs is always wrong, but I would say it requires care that shippers aren’t always able or willing to provide. Whenever I ship a game on the legs, I’m always relieved when the game appears to arrive safely. A game can get hurt either way, but I agree the heavily-wrapped and on a pallet method feels safer when it’s possible. These are two I’ve shipped recently.

A477DC5D-E18C-47D2-BC48-424F516726DF (resized).jpegA477DC5D-E18C-47D2-BC48-424F516726DF (resized).jpegF8BEE583-F762-4E06-8270-494B962CC691 (resized).jpegF8BEE583-F762-4E06-8270-494B962CC691 (resized).jpeg
#3492 2 years ago

I've seen so many cracked corner joints due to people moving them with the legs on. That can be a deal breaker.

#3493 2 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

I've seen so many cracked corner joints due to people moving them with the legs on. That can be a deal breaker.

Yes it is a deal breaker

#3494 2 years ago

I would be very concerned about accepting a game with the cabinet split at the corner. I agree. I generally replace those old school little leg brackets that look like a stick of gum with 2 holes in them with the modern version that spans both sides in each corner. Much sturdier I imagine.

#3495 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I would be very concerned about accepting a game with the cabinet split at the corner. I agree. I generally replace those old school little leg brackets that look like a stick of gum with 2 holes in them with the modern version that spans both sides in each corner. Much sturdier I imagine.

This is why Bog invented wood glue and bar clamps.

But yes, the modern leg bolt plates are far better, especially in terms of thread engagement for the leg bolts. The extra surface area and screws into the wood are side-benefits.

Richard

#3496 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Will they work on older games? I’ve got to replace all the brackets on my WCS I got from an operator would moved them with the legs on, and boy watching him “help me” move was horrifying and I had to tell him to stop.

#3497 2 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

With good quality felt pads and a hardwood/laminate floor mine slide around easily.

#3498 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

With good quality felt pads and a hardwood/laminate floor mine slide around easily.

Moving around the room with the legs on shouldn't be too much of an issue. I have a set of skates that I can put under the legs and wheel the who machine around. That is typically and easy and smooth move. The issue is more if it is loaded on a truck and bounced around while on the legs. That can get pretty violent and with all the weight up a couple feet off the ground acting as a lever that has a lot of potential for damage. Shouldn't be an issue carefully moving one within a room.

#3499 2 years ago

You still have to be careful moving a game around on carpet with the legs on. The weight of the game causes the legs to sink into the carpet (even with pin footies). Trying to shove or slide the game over the carpet sink-holes can damage the cabinet at the cabinet/leg connection plates if you’re not taking proper precautions.

#3500 2 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

You still have to be careful moving a game around on carpet with the legs on. The weight of the game causes the legs to sink into the carpet (even with pin footies). Trying to shove or slide the game over the carpet sink-holes can damage the cabinet at the cabinet/leg connection plates if you’re not taking proper precautions.

Definitely. But, if you're careful that shouldn't be a problem. Helps to have a second person and go slow. Still a lot different than having one take a trip on the legs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 25.00
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 9,695.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Alley

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.99
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,483 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 110.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-horror-pics/page/70?hl=ajfclark and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.