20160430_182232 (resized).jpg
20160501_144444 (resized).jpg
20160501_130626 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210826_172327856 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210826_172351266_BURST010 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

There are 3377 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 68.
#3301 61 days ago
Quoted from boagman:

Not trying to run salt in the wound or anything, but was there anything in particular that you did, in terms of mods or added technical stuff (shaker motor, for example...), that caused these boards to "pop", as you say? I guess what I'm getting at is this: was it honestly your fault, or is/was it just bad stuff from the factory?

Hi boagman, no, nothing. No mods. Just straight from the factory. Not even a topper. CPU board lost the 5v after it had been on for 2 hours during a party. Just unlucky, I suppose. I installed the extra insulation under the plastic next to the library scoop to prevent the short.

#3302 61 days ago

Interestingly (and annoyingly) the node boards failed in different ways. 9 had a solid red LED, and 8 had a blinking amber LED - some sort of error code? In both cases, the message on the DMD was something like 'Node Board Not Found'; can't remember the exact message. I contacted Stern tech support and they told me I would have to replace the boards, which I did. It's working now. I hope it keeps working. There are other node boards in there!

#3303 61 days ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

1-1/16", same as standard.

Mmmm, interesting... I could have sworn they were smaller... maybe it varies depending on manufacturer... the photo I posted is from a Gottlieb Spirit... I'm going to have to pull one out now and compare it with a standard ball...

Quoted from ajfclark:

I'm rapping my hands almost vertically down on the lockdown bar so the movement of the machine front to back is very slight.

That sounds a bit peculiar... wouldn't it be less painful to the hands to provide a more gentle nudge it the direction you want the machine to move?

Quoted from FlippinJB:

the very second Batman craps a node board out, the whole machine's going out the nearest window.

My suggestion would be to find a kind gentleman to purchase the Batman before this happens... these things can be a bugger to get through windows without scuffing the frame!

#3304 61 days ago

Been sitting outside for a while.

94B51DE7-A55E-4CB9-8560-3283AF02F470 (resized).jpeg
#3305 60 days ago
Quoted from ajfclark:[quoted image]
1-1/16", same as standard.

It's actually an up nudge, but I'm rapping my hands almost vertically down on the lockdown bar so the movement of the machine front to back is very slight.

This looks like it could possibly be a Bally slam-tilt assembly. Or maybe Williams. That is not a Stern style tilt strike plate. Plus, the Sterns I am familiar with have the tilt switch located at the end of the tilt trough, where the switch in this pic is located on the bottom of the channel.

42781181794a32f0f8d48be41ac04a1dc7482400 (resized).png

IMG_7088 (resized).JPG

Quoted from pinballslave:

Mmmm, interesting... I could have sworn they were smaller... maybe it varies depending on manufacturer... the photo I posted is from a Gottlieb Spirit... I'm going to have to pull one out now and compare it with a standard ball...

Two of my Sterns that still had the slam tilt ball installed when I bought them.

They measure .93 diameter. That equates to 15/16". And you can see the anti-corrosion coating partially removed from one of them.

IMG_7086 (resized).JPG

Here it is installed.

IMG_7087 (resized).JPG

#3306 60 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

They measure .93 diameter. That equates to 15/16".

We're getting technical so, I took one of the balls out of the Spirit tilt mech and it's diameter is 1.0643", whereas the 1 1/16 ball is 1.0625", so the Spirit tilt ball is actually 0.0018" bigger... I was surprised because I expected it to be smaller!
20210728_213704 (resized).jpg

#3307 60 days ago

Maybe it has a 0.0016 inch rust coating.

#3308 60 days ago

All those balls were in there to mimic that clacker thing from the early 70's.
One hits the next one and so on until the swith opens.

#3309 60 days ago

More a wtf than horror...
[quoted image]

Long time ago I saw a kid put the front legs on top od his feet to try and slow the ball down so he could try to beat the machine. With that many balls loaded in the tilt channel it might make it harder for someone to raise the front legs up. It looks like the balls would immediately close the switch. Maybe.

#3310 60 days ago

We're getting technical so, I took one of the balls out of the Spirit tilt mech and it's diameter is 1.0643", whereas the 1 1/16 ball is 1.0625", so the Spirit tilt ball is actually 0.0016" bigger... I was surprised because I expected it to be smaller![quoted image]

Maybe the ball roll tilt mechanisms were a good place for slightly out-of-spec pinballs as delivered by the supplier.

Richard

#3311 60 days ago

it's diameter is 1.0643", whereas the 1 1/16 ball is 1.0625", so the Spirit tilt ball is actually 0.0016" bigger.

Pretty damn technical...the difference is less than the thickness of a human hair!

#3312 60 days ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

Maybe it has a 0.0016 inch rust coating.

Good thought, but I did specifically choose spots with no rust... I also measured a standard ball and it was exactly 1.0625", so the calibration of the mic was spot on... maybe its the anti-corrosion coating...

Quoted from cottonm4:

saw a kid put the front legs on top od his feet to try and slow the ball down so he could try to beat the machine.

Was he wearing steel-toed shoes?? I'd have thought that you'd loose more by reducing your nudging ability standing like that than you'd gain by having a slower ball!

#3313 60 days ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Big Top only has one pop and it’s an older style. Wico’s only commercial game Af-Tor came out a several years later and had the plastic pop rings. Nothing of value on that gnarly Big Top.

Technically that's true but Century/Cisco made Circus Circus which uses a Big Top playfield and is a cocktail like Af-tor. Circus Circus uses a Williams metal ring pop bumper assembly. I've wondered why people don't use a metal Williams pop bumper assembly in Big Top aside from the game not being worth anything.i mean it's not like originality would matter on these turds. What's funny is that someone would think anyone would pay to play it! It's an extremely basic playfield but kids do seem to like it.

My hats off to Colson. You're a sick man! I'd seen pictures of your Big Top before but somehow the more recent posted ones look more stunning.

I'm looking for a right sling Plastic for a Big Top if anyone has one.

#3314 60 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Long time ago I saw a kid put the front legs on top od his feet

Was he wearing steel-toed shoes?? I'd have thought that you'd loose more by reducing your nudging ability standing like that than you'd gain by having a slower ball!

The operative word is "kid". I'll modify that and say "dumb kid".

I'll give him credit for at least trying, though. Just like any engineer has to move his idea from paper into the real world, he found out what sounds good on paper can fizzle out in 3-D.

#3315 60 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

he found out what sounds good on paper can fizzle out in 3-D

I'm guessing he found this out after about 5 seconds when the weight of the machine on his feet got too much for him to bear...

#3316 60 days ago

I'm guessing he found this out after about 5 seconds when the weight of the machine on his feet got too much for him to bear...

The details are lost to 55 years of history.

#3317 59 days ago

My dad used to do that as a kid, front legs on feet. Woodrails were much lighter. It must have made the slope like nothing as they were only 3 degrees slope anyway.

#3318 59 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Long time ago I saw a kid put the front legs on top od his feet to try and slow the ball down so he could try to beat the machine. With that many balls loaded in the tilt channel it might make it harder for someone to raise the front legs up. It looks like the balls would immediately close the switch. Maybe.

Quoted from slochar:

My dad used to do that as a kid, front legs on feet. Woodrails were much lighter. It must have made the slope like nothing as they were only 3 degrees slope anyway.

When I was a kid in the 70's, smoking was in big and I would find two ash trays of the same size (about 1" tall) and put them under the front legs. This did slow the ball down and with some machines the ball would get stuck on a lane switch causing the score to continue to add up. I would let this continue until I got enough free games and play until I used them all up and/or was finished playing.

#3319 59 days ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

When I was a kid in the 70's, smoking was in big and I would find two ash trays of the same size (about 1" tall) and put them under the front legs.

If the game was in a pub I'd use beer-mats to jack the front up if the game was too steep... more often than not I'd find that the locking nuts on the leg levellers wouldn't be tight and I could simply wind the levellers out.

#3320 59 days ago

I used to do this as a kid by putting the legs on the end of my tennis shoes and curling up my toes.

#3321 58 days ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

I used to do this as a kid by putting the legs on the end of my tennis shoes and curling up my toes.

I bet you weren't playing Haunted House...

#3322 58 days ago

Check out the cool meteor backglass I just bought at pinest!

20210730_101819 (resized).jpg
#3323 58 days ago

Is that the "easy to ship" version?
Sorry man.

#3324 58 days ago
Quoted from sataneatscheese:

sucks !

#3326 58 days ago

At least repros are available.

#3327 58 days ago

[quoted image]

Nooo......

#3328 58 days ago

[quoted image]

Just needs a little triple thick right???

#3329 58 days ago

As seen at pinfest.

20210730_182441 (resized).jpg
#3330 58 days ago

[quoted image]

I bet your glass cheaper to replace then mine!

Rock kicked up we guess on 95, neither my wife or I even saw it. Sounded like a gunshot inside the truck.

$623 for Mopar glass. Wish I still had the dash cam in the truck but the mount broke a few weeks ago.

It happens.

20210730_065601 (resized).jpg20210730_070019 (resized).jpg

#3331 58 days ago

[quoted image]

It's probably just a fuse.

#3332 56 days ago

The story from the guy I bought it from is the owner before him lost the keys and had to drill out the lock, well he didn't drill the lock, he hacked the cabinet and attempted to patch up the hole. Not entirely sure what I'm going to do yet as I don't have any of the inner lock mechanism and don't really need it at home, so may just clean it all up, smooth it out and paint it to match.
PXL_20210801_175243286 (resized).jpgPXL_20210801_175418816 (resized).jpg

#3333 56 days ago

My black Knight backglass needs some triple thick.

597E5845-4E74-49D1-80E0-9D711085FAC5 (resized).jpeg
#3334 56 days ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

The story from the guy I bought it from is the owner before him lost the keys and had to drill out the lock, well he didn't drill the lock, he hacked the cabinet and attempted to patch up the hole.

I can't fathom that.

#3335 56 days ago
Quoted from AMBoggs:

My black Knight backglass needs some triple thick. [quoted image]

Tis but a flesh wound.

#3336 56 days ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

he hacked the cabinet

That is an understatement.
Maybe he drilled it out with a 3" hole saw.
IMO, the hole would have looked better than the entire container of plastic wood he jammed in there.

#3337 56 days ago

i have never seen another game with such a short lifespan for the backglass.Although I am sure they exist.

#3338 56 days ago
Quoted from AMBoggs:

talking about Black Knight above post

#3339 56 days ago

Yes they usually are all blown out
Thankfully repro available

#3340 56 days ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

i have never seen another game with such a short lifespan for the backglass.Although I am sure they exist.

I saw a Space Shuttle backglass in similar shape. It came out of an unconditioned warehouse in Hawaii. The combination of temperature swings and humidity will do that to a backglass.

#3341 56 days ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I saw a Space Shuttle backglass in similar shape. It came out of an unconditioned warehouse in Hawaii. The combination of temperature swings and humidity will do that to a backglass.

I believe that is what happened to mine. I just picked it up last week and it definitely has a smell about it. The upside is that the playfield has very little wear.

#3342 56 days ago

Worst thing like that I saw was a space station translite. It crumbled into pieces when I touched it.

#3343 56 days ago
Quoted from JethroP:

I can't fathom that.

Robert Downey Jr eyeroll.gif
1 week later
#3344 48 days ago

Maybe not the most horrific thing, but someone needs to explain to me the value of installing a remote battery holder, only to have it mounted or dangling above the MPU. You're almost there, go the extra inches and mount it below the boards. I've had a few come in this way.

20210808_143335 (resized).jpg
#3345 48 days ago
Quoted from AMBoggs:

Tis but a flesh wound.

Quoted from roffels:

Maybe not the most horrific thing, but someone needs to explain to me the value of installing a remote battery holder, only to have it mounted or dangling above the MPU. You're almost there, go the extra inches and mount it below the boards. I've had a few come in this way.
[quoted image]

I saw one with a battery holder mounted on standoffs. Like.. what is the point? Still close enough to lay waste to the MPU should the batteries start puking. I have a single pin with batteries and the holder is screwed to the floor of the backbox well away from anything.

System 9 boards don't grow on trees and I'm not sure I love the title enough to socket and NVRAM yet.

#3346 48 days ago
Quoted from AMBoggs:

My black Knight backglass needs some triple thick.

Nah... it only needs some very light scraping to become a perfectly good window glass.

#3347 47 days ago
Quoted from roffels:

[quoted image]

Most likely the goal wasn't to get the batteries away from the board, just that the original holder crapped out and that's the only replacement they had. "Fixed"

Richard

#3348 47 days ago

I always used to put the remote battery holder down by the coin door. Simply easier to get to.
Now i just nvram them.

#3349 47 days ago

Broken contacts? No worries little bend fix it right up!

483ADD64-608E-457E-B3B7-DAEC19B6AAAF (resized).jpeg
#3350 46 days ago

Classic

There are 3377 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 68.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside