omg2 (resized).jpg
IMG_0314.jpeg
IMG_0385.jpeg
IMG_0386.jpeg
FB_IMG_1710102812674 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240306_163243759 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240306_163129457 (resized).jpg
x2 (resized).jpg

There are 5,449 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 109.
#1701 5 years ago
Quoted from someotherguy:

This one was locking on all the coils upon boot up due to the MPU issue; and yes, without doubt someone had either severely over-fused it or had shorted the fuse clip to "fix" it. No other way it could have burnt those coils like that. One thing that was interesting is I could boot it with the solenoid fuse out, then install it after it booted, and play a game. Next power cycle, *pow* there goes the fuse.. game like that is where using the light bulb rig in place of the fuse helped save a lot of frustration. Keep working at it until the light bulb doesn't come on anymore; no more wasted fuses..

Sounds like an issue with the blanking circuit. I had the same problem intermittently for years on my BK, and the solution wound up being the 555 timer, a tantalum cap, and a transistor (all in the blanking circuit region of the mpu) that needed to be replaced to fix it. Basically the blanking signal was going high as soon as the game was booting, causing all the coils to lock on upon boot-up. In my case it was blowing the 2.5a solenoid fuse due to the coils locking on. I also found i could replace the fuse after the game booted and it would work fine for hours. Weird problem.

#1702 5 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Sounds like an issue with the blanking circuit. I had the same problem intermittently for years on my BK, and the solution wound up being the 555 timer, a tantalum cap, and a transistor (all in the blanking circuit region of the mpu) that needed to be replaced to fix it. Basically the blanking signal was going high as soon as the game was booting, causing all the coils to lock on upon boot-up. In my case it was blowing the 2.5a solenoid fuse due to the coils locking on. I also found i could replace the fuse after the game booted and it would work fine for hours. Weird problem.

Both of y’all have mentioned replacing a fuse after booting, and I’ve never tried it yet alone thought about it. That’s odd that games work like that. Does the fuse not blow after a few minutes of replacing after a successful boot?

As for blanking issues, so many times are they fixed by that tantalum capacitor. Anytime I’ve got a blanking issue, that’s the first thing I do and most of the time, the problem is resolved. This is especially true for Sys11 games with alkaline damage that leads to blanking issues.

#1703 5 years ago

I don't recall if I have posted this before, but here is a picture of the worst playfield that I have come across. It took me about a year to find a replacement playfield for it. This one got donated to CPR for their High Speed playfield project. I guess they used it to pull off measurements for the CNC stuff.

DSC02793 (resized).JPGDSC02793 (resized).JPGhigh speed playfield (resized).jpghigh speed playfield (resized).jpg
#1704 5 years ago
Quoted from scasey:

I don't recall if I have posted this before, but here is a picture of the worst playfield that I have come across. It took me about a year to find a replacement playfield for it. This one got donated to CPR for their High Speed playfield project. I guess they used it to pull off measurements for the CNC stuff.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I’m not surprised a High Speed looked like that. They made a shit ton of money back in the day. I was a kid, but I think dad had 4 or 5 of them on route. It was definitely one of the best earning games ever built!

#1705 5 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Yes; I had mentioned the blanking in the original reply #1690. It's been many years but if I recall it was just the 555 timer that was bad on mine.

Quoted from cottonm4:

Can you share this light bulb trick? Do you wire a light bulb to a broken fuse? What kind of light bulb?
Thank you.

I use a 100W bulb in a base with terminals on it so it can be easily attached using alligator clip leads. Use it in place of the fuse. It can eat up enough current that it will glow dimly when there's a short, and can be left on like that without damaging anything. I personally find this more useful than a circuit breaker that will trip, but to each their own. With the light bulb as a diagnostic tool, you get an instant and continuous indicator of a problem, and you don't have to do anything with the tool - just keep working at what the problem may be. Not a huge difference from running a circuit breaker, but I believe helpful. Attached pic - bulb hooked to solenoid fuse with a dead short on that circuit.

Richard

bulbtest (resized).jpgbulbtest (resized).jpg

#1706 5 years ago
918A59E5-FA2A-4A45-B3DF-B26F71DE2683 (resized).png918A59E5-FA2A-4A45-B3DF-B26F71DE2683 (resized).png
#1707 5 years ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

We have a 3A circuit breaker that has a blown fuse soldered to it so it inserts into a fuse holder. We simply push it and reset it.
In re light bulb, look at this:
https://www.repairfaq.org/samnew/tvfaq/tvtslbt.htm
People have done it for years on power amps. I have a Sencore variable isolation transformer that works well also.

Thank you. I'll study this light bulb business.

I have a collection of thermal circuit breakers in my collection. I have 3/4 amp all the way up to 30 amp. Finding ones below 5 amps is a challenge and they are not cheap cost wise. I have had three go bad.

#1708 5 years ago

A few pictures from a recent trip to Africa!

1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG3 (resized).JPG3 (resized).JPG4 (resized).JPG4 (resized).JPG

#1709 5 years ago

There is a fathom in there! Depressing.

#1710 5 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You posted that last year too, but at the time couldn't say where it was cause of an impending deal, but now you say Africa...so does that mean the deal was either done or won't be? Please elaborate if you can...thanks!

#1711 5 years ago
rainbow_puke (resized).jpgrainbow_puke (resized).jpg
#1712 5 years ago
Quoted from Stoomer:

You posted that last year too, but at the time couldn't say where it was cause of an impending deal, but now you say Africa...so does that mean the deal was either done or won't be? Please elaborate if you can...thanks!

Sorry, I hadn't realised I had done that! I have to say the deal has not been done yet mainly to the instability of the region, hopefully it will happen. Hers is a photo of some of the machines we are trying to save to give you an idea why we are being a bit cagey about it!

5 (resized).JPG5 (resized).JPG

#1713 5 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

Sorry, I hadn't realised I had done that! I have to say the deal has not been done yet mainly to the instability of the region, hopefully it will happen. Hers is a photo of some of the machines we are trying to save to give you an idea why we are being a bit cagey about it!
[quoted image]

Wow...thanks for the update...I wish you luck!!

#1714 5 years ago

Hmmm that fathom and that trek...
Send them over here

#1715 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Thank you. I'll study this light bulb business.
I have a collection of thermal circuit breakers in my collection. I have 3/4 amp all the way up to 30 amp. Finding ones below 5 amps is a challenge and they are not cheap cost wise. I have had three go bad.

I am not sensitive to down votes. It is part of the game. But why was my post voted down for saying "Thank you"? This one I do not get.

#1716 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I am not sensitive to down votes. It is part of the game. But why was my post voted down for saying "Thank you"? This one I do not get.

Perhaps it was an errant click? I know i've accidently downvoted something once. I noticed and reverted it when I did it. I don't see any downvotes now.

1 week later
#1717 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

If people view Pinside on a tablet and scroll up and down on the right side it is easy to accidentally up vote or down vote a post without even realizing it.

#1718 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Quoted from Robotworkshop:

If people view Pinside on a tablet and scroll up and down on the right side it is easy to accidentally up vote or down vote a post without even realizing it.

Exactly what happen to me. I removed my down vote on your 2nd post. Must of clicked there by mistake scrolling through the posts.

#1719 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I’d buy that Mephisto glass too!! Ask him if he wants to sell it? I’ll pay you a finders fee and to package it up!

I've finally talked to the owner. The backglasses will stay there forever: there is wall just behind this windows. No access from the inside.

#1720 5 years ago

mmmmm 5 volts not working ...idea-see photos .anyone recognise their work

IMG_0629 (resized).JPGIMG_0629 (resized).JPGIMG_0631 (resized).JPGIMG_0631 (resized).JPGIMG_0632 (resized).JPGIMG_0632 (resized).JPGIMG_0633 (resized).JPGIMG_0633 (resized).JPG
#1721 5 years ago

Fixed exactly the same GI hack before two weeks for a friend.
Looks like this one is very popular.

#1722 5 years ago
Quoted from arakissun:

Fixed exactly the same GI hack before two weeks for a friend.
Looks like this one is very popular.

came from Lisbon , Portugal , I think . where are you? country

#1723 5 years ago
Quoted from trumpy:

came from Lisbon , Portugal , I think . where are you? country

I had the same install, power supply same spot, power tap same spot. It was a UK reimport.

#1724 5 years ago

I'm from Varna,Bulgaria.

#1725 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

There is a fathom in there! Depressing.

And an HH, Xenon, Spectrum and a damn Spirit. All great games. Man, that is depressing.

#1726 5 years ago
Quoted from Vincenzo:

I've finally talked to the owner. The backglasses will stay there forever: there is wall just behind this windows. No access from the inside.

Damn that sucks. What a waste. All hope is not lost. Tell him I’ll be over with a jackhammer...or maybe a rock hammer.

BD662A22-9A1A-44B0-828A-C6CDBDEC1F7E (resized).jpegBD662A22-9A1A-44B0-828A-C6CDBDEC1F7E (resized).jpeg
#1727 5 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What are the big round metal disks? They seem to be removed from the picture above it. Giant Pop Bumper caps? Used for tables or...?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1728 5 years ago

Nice Bally coin door on the left.

#1730 5 years ago

I was hoping they are UFO's

#1731 5 years ago

I'm imaging an awesome topper for AFM.

#1732 5 years ago

Belt pulleys to drive a turn-table? Aka Jukebox parts.

#1733 5 years ago
Quoted from dementedwarlok:

I was hoping they are UFO's

Weird way to park must be drunk aliens!

#1734 5 years ago
20190314_185337 (resized).jpg20190314_185337 (resized).jpg20190314_185342 (resized).jpg20190314_185342 (resized).jpg20190314_185344 (resized).jpg20190314_185344 (resized).jpg
#1735 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That will buff right out.

#1736 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Fixed worse.

#1737 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Why on earth...
Just the front panel??? I don’t understand the reasoning?! I’d tried kicking one out before when I had to rebuild a rotten cabinet, and also for a cabinet that exploded.
Both times those panels were really damn hard to separate from the sides. I mean full body weight would not break them. Took pry bars and half an hour of working it over to break them off!!

#1738 5 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Why on earth...
Just the front panel??? I don’t understand the reasoning?! I’d tried kicking one out before when I had to rebuild a rotten cabinet, and also for a cabinet that exploded.
Both times those panels were really damn hard to separate from the sides. I mean full body weight would not break them. Took pry bars and half an hour of working it over to break them off!!

Hard to say what happened to it in the past. I bought a Fire! project years ago that was sitting legless on some battered commercial carpet. Needed to pull it away from the wall to stand it up, and with no legs I couldn't grab it from underneath, so I opened the coin door and pulled on the inside of either side. It refused to budge on the carpet, and the front plate came completely off the cabinet.

The cabinet showed no signs of water damage but was pretty beat up all around. I had to shore up the backbox as well. Lots of wood glue and bar clamp action later, and the cabinet was solid again.

Richard

#1739 5 years ago

Do not let these guys transport your next game

bad_packing (resized).jpgbad_packing (resized).jpg
#1740 5 years ago
Quoted from Bundy:

Do not let these guys transport your next game
[quoted image]

At least the one that is most coveted is on top....

#1741 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

At least the one that is most coveted is on top.

lol ... but what game is that under the LW3 ? EDIT: never mind Popeye

#1742 5 years ago
20190315_104436 (resized).jpg20190315_104436 (resized).jpg
#1743 5 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

I had the same install, power supply same spot, power tap same spot. It was a UK reimport.

yeah , but were your flipper bushes screwed to the playfield with security head self tapper screws like I just found mine

IMG_0644 (resized).JPGIMG_0644 (resized).JPGIMG_0646 (resized).JPGIMG_0646 (resized).JPG
#1744 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

[quoted image]

Sick burn.

#1745 5 years ago

Speaking of screws...

photo5454234035422341712 (resized).jpgphoto5454234035422341712 (resized).jpg
photo5452102017951574724 (resized).jpgphoto5452102017951574724 (resized).jpg
photo5454234035422341713 (resized).jpgphoto5454234035422341713 (resized).jpg

#1746 5 years ago
Quoted from hazmat7719:

That will buff right out.

Think I buffed to hard.

20190316_192928 (resized).jpg20190316_192928 (resized).jpg20190316_193100 (resized).jpg20190316_193100 (resized).jpg20190316_194044 (resized).jpg20190316_194044 (resized).jpg
#1747 5 years ago
Quoted from the_zap:

Speaking of screws...

Man...right through the playfield. I never understood that..people do realize that screws come in different lengths right?

#1748 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Think I buffed to hard.

I have had to get rid of a few cabinets that were just too far gone as well. I wish that I had the time to make stencils of the artwork before they went to the dump.

#1749 5 years ago
Quoted from hazmat7719:

I have had to get rid of a few cabinets that were just too far gone as well. I wish that I had the time to make stencils of the artwork before they went to the dump.

I've recently started to scan my games as they come in, just in case.

#1750 5 years ago
Quoted from hazmat7719:

I actually used the sides of a rotten cab as wall art, looks kinda cool if you clean it up decently. Seal it and nail it up, now you can have even more pinball machines, on your walls!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Westerlo, FL
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball
Decals
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods
Sound/Speakers
$ 45.00
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals
Decals
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lodi, WI
$ 49.99
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,449 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 109.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-horror-pics/page/35?hl=jodyg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.