Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by whthrs166
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Total newbie question; I apologize. Maybe once or twice per game, the pinball on my ~1980 Bally machine will strike the glass with the ball. Not a huge deal, but I am wondering what is the most likely cause: flipper alignment/rubber, playfield smoothness, or is it just something that happens occasionally due to spin on the ball when I hit it with the flipper? It doesn't seem to happen on the same spot on the playfield, but it is always on a firm/fast shot. I replaced all of the rubber components fairly recently and everything at least seems to be adjusted properly.

#2 3 years ago

Sometimes it just happens. See if you notice a consistent specific ‘hit’ when it occurs, and then look into it. Just my 2 flippers worth. : ) Enjoy the game!

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Sometimes it just happens. See if you notice a consistent specific ‘hit’ when it occurs, and then look into it. Just my 2 flippers worth. : )Enjoy.

#4 3 years ago

Many things can give the ball upward momentum.
    Playfield wear such as cupped inserts, the ball rolls down into it then up to get out.
    A playfield item bent slightly, making a non-ideal angle with the playing surface.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Many things can give the ball upward momentum.
    Playfield wear such as cupped inserts, the ball rolls down into it then up to get out.
    A playfield item bent slightly, making a non-ideal angle with the playing surface.

Or if you own The Simpsons...

#6 3 years ago

If you own a Comet, you get used to it.

#7 3 years ago

All of mine do this on occasion. Gets player’s attention, that’s for sure!

Always reminds me of the sound a rock makes when it hits my cars windshield. Sounds like a boulder just smashed into my car, no matter the size of the rock. Happened just yesterday and got lucky with no cracks.

#8 3 years ago

Sometimes, air balls can happen when bouncing off of stand up targets without padding, or when drop targets are positioned just right.

#9 3 years ago

You can put less angle on the machine and slow it down but that's boring. Sure wakes ya up when not expecting it

#10 3 years ago

Just wait until that ball is sitting on top of the drop targets when they reset. I get it often on my GOT.

#11 3 years ago

Didn't think I had to worry too much. I started checking out the problem by noting what the ball hit last. Seems to be no correlation. I remember playing Whirlwind and getting lots of glass strikes that were probably caused by "english" on the pinball. The darn things are so shiny, it is very difficult to detect spin.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

Just wait until that ball is sitting on top of the drop targets when they reset. I get it often on my GOT.

The best one I've seen is if a ball is on top of one of the Trolls when it pops up on MM. I learned to not play test MM very long without the glass on, it really launches that sucker. The Hobbit is probably even worse since it has all those pop-ups.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

The best one I've seen is if a ball is on top of one of the Trolls when it pops up on MM. I learned to not play test MM very long without the glass on, it really launches that sucker. The Hobbit is probably even worse since it has all those pop-ups.

The ole Troll Catapult.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from newbieinKC:

Total newbie question; I apologize. Maybe once or twice per game, the pinball on my ~1980 Bally machine will strike the glass with the ball. Not a huge deal, but I am wondering what is the most likely cause: flipper alignment/rubber, playfield smoothness, or is it just something that happens occasionally due to spin on the ball when I hit it with the flipper? It doesn't seem to happen on the same spot on the playfield, but it is always on a firm/fast shot. I replaced all of the rubber components fairly recently and everything at least seems to be adjusted properly.

Make sure the flipper rubbers are not pushed down too low. They can lift up on the ball if the ball is hitting towards the top of the rubber.

#15 3 years ago

Put in a super ball. I'm getting glass hits on joker poker now

#16 3 years ago

F-14 Jagov kicker is a fun one to bang the glass!

#17 3 years ago

Only one of my games it is consistent to distraction is my '51 Poker Face. Balls flipped at the gobble holes hit the glass all the time and that's with the old, small low-power AC flippers. So might want to see if it is happening on your game when the ball is hit towards kickout holes, if it has any. If that's it I think you're stuck with it. What game are you having the issue with?

#18 3 years ago

It's pinball, it happens. On some games, there will be a specific shot that can do this. On other games, it can be caused by misaligned targets, flipper rubber position, etc.
    Not much to worry about.

#19 3 years ago

My favorite thing about Whitewater was the ball slapping the glass on the way down the left ramp.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

MM is pretty dramatic, but Champion Pub is the loudest one I have ever heard. You have to hit the ball right at the boxer's fist just before he throws a punch. BANG! I thought the glass would jump off the game!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-hitting-glass?hl=pinmasher and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.