Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by screaminr
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

As an older player (43) I find myself constantly questioning the cost and benefit of hi resolution screens with animations like Deadpool or full video segments as in Elviras House of Horrors. I really get caught up with what's going on under the glass that I rarely look up to watch the screen and find the pause in pinball play frustrating. Even as a spectator I am watching the world under glass more often than not. Am I part of a silent group of players stuck in the dmd years?

#2 4 years ago

I grew up with EM and early SS games, and while I liked the occasional short DMD animations, for me the hires video is absolutely unnecessary. I want to play pinball, not a video game.

#3 4 years ago

You have to keep in mind that one of the goals of a pinball company is to stay in business. One way to do that is to keep creating fans of their product in a time when all of the younger people have a hand held device which contains an infinite amount of competition. They have to do something that draws new people in and competes against the phone. Once they're drawn in, pinball itself can hold its own against any app on a phone, but they still need something to create that initial draw.

I took my 3 boys (8,11,13) to a pool hall that has 79 pinball machines. When we walked in, where did they immediately go to? The row of Jersey Jack machines. They've grown up with colorful apps, so for them, this was familiar. After the initial draw, they moved around to most other machines, hitting plenty of the new sterns, wpc or system 11 machines. They really didn't have any interest in things older than that.

So, if large screens are what it take to keep the business going, I'm all for it.

#4 4 years ago

I like games with dmd’s not because they have dmd’s, but because they’re more complex games with deeper rules compared to SS or EM games. The dmd is the most useless part of dmd games. A bit tv screen probably doesn’t add enough new gameplay to make it worth it.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I like games with dmd’s not because they have dmd’s, but because they’re more complex games with deeper rules compared to SS or EM games. The dmd is the most useless part of dmd games. A bit tv screen probably doesn’t add enough new gameplay to make it worth it.

That makes no sense. It's like saying a flip phone is better than a smart phone. The display is important to not only give your score but instructions and animations. Animations are unnecessary but so are light shows, art, and sounds. These all add up to improve the whole experience. JJP games would look completely inadequate and difficult to understand if you took out the large gorgeous displays and replaced with a simple numeric display for score

#6 4 years ago

I like some of the games with the lcd display, but overall I'm not a fan of the display itself. Some games are better than others for this, but I often find myself trying to search the screen for a piece of info. Unless the ball is stopped somewhere, you have a second or two to try and find this info on a screen full of animations and craziness before your ball drains. I'd much prefer a game tell you what you're trying to do with the light show and call outs. I get that they look cool, and might draw in players who wouldn't otherwise be interested, but for me the screen is just a big distraction.

#7 4 years ago

Personally I've always preferred dots over the LCD. Often times it seems like most companies who use the LCD don't have the resources to make it look great. JJP is probably the only exception. Stern is getting there, but some of their animations look pretty meh, and American Pinball really should have stuck with DMD... That is if DMD was still commercially viable. Unfortunately it seems like we've reached a point where most pinheads would ridicule a new game if it used a DMD, even if the animations were to look better that way. I think the choice between DMD and LCD should be up to the creative team on each game, not something that you *have* to use now.

I will say I do like that LCDs can show more info so I don't have to use "instant" info as much as on older games.

#8 4 years ago

My only issue with screens are a lot of them are poorly designed from both an aesthetic point of view and from a design point of view where the information it is trying to convey to the player isn't well executed. LCD's enhance the game, they certainly don't take anything away from the game. It's just how well is it implemented. (Plus the screen can be fun for other people watching someone else play)

#9 4 years ago

I have to admit, the displayed video when you kill Smaug in JJP Hobbit is very satisfying.

#10 4 years ago

Plasma DMDs are more than obsolete and LED DMDs are still niche and expensive to manufacture. 27" LCD panels have much more market penetration and as a result are more cost effective to make.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from ChiTownPinHead:

As an older player (43) I find myself constantly questioning the cost and benefit of hi resolution screens with animations like Deadpool or full video segments as in Elviras House of Horrors. I really get caught up with what's going on under the glass that I rarely look up to watch the screen and find the pause in pinball play frustrating. Even as a spectator I am watching the world under glass more often than not. Am I part of a silent group of players stuck in the dmd years?

BM66 is a game where the lcd video really adds to the game.

Rob

#12 4 years ago

I truly appreciate everyone's responses and different perspectives. The next time I'm at my favorite Barcade I'll have to make a conscious effort to look up more often.

#13 4 years ago

If people don't like the LCD for whatever reason fair enough . But what I don't get is that people can't look up and down , you have so many opportunities to look up during a game , when you hit an orbit , when you shoot a ramp , when you lock a ball , there's lots of opportunities to quickly look up . The only time I don't look up is during a multiball when I concentrate on the bottom third of the Playfield . When done right like the Hobbit and Batman it adds a lot to the game experience .

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-hi-resolution-screens?hl=simbob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.