download.png
trunk (resized).jpg
ADCC1269-FE2C-4977-9D82-88C94FE327D5 (resized).png
Screenshot_2019-03-14-10-13-54~2 (resized).png
7pBs58IH_400x400 (resized).jpg
6a00d83451cb7469e20167684b6040970b-800wi (resized).png
tenor (resized).png
BC38AE7F-8F96-4061-BC23-FC974FD7BC01 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#111 5 years ago

I hate Family Guy and Dialed In based on theme. I also hate RFM and STE1 based on them being Pinball 2000 platform. I don't like the platform to begin with and I really hate moving those boat anchors.

#151 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I hate Sterns node board concept. What a stupid way to screw your customers to ensure they can never work on their own boards and instead force them to spend hundreds of dollars on replacements instead.

I love the *concept* of the SPIKE system and node boards. There have been some growing pains for sure but the concept is a natural progression for pinball control just like going from EM to solid state. It will in the end make pins way less labor to build, way less wiring, more reliable and easier to maintain by using a design concept that has been more than validated by the auto industry. If you look closely, the parts on the node boards like transistors that are expected to fail are not surface mount (just like SAM) and can be easily fixed by the user. Unfortunately the problems with a lot of early node boards were poor design in parts that weren't supposed to fail. These problems are becoming very few and far between at this point and the node concept will carry on for the foreseeable future if not forever. The same node concept is used in AP and the remake CGS games. I assume that Deeproot will use it as well and some day if JJP wants to stay in business, they will most likely go to a similar system and get rid of the dinosaur computer system they use.

#165 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'll take JJP's off the shelf PC components, Linux OS, and their board design

How about the design of those light boards in WoZ that constantly failed for years because of terrible design? And by the way, those are technically node boards whose design is to save money. Growing pains happen in lots of systems including JJP, SAM and SPIKE. Remember the first SAM game was WPT? Every single game shipped with defective CPUs that had to be replaced months later when the new revision came out. When SAM came out some closed minded people actually complained about the programming with USB instead of having to burn and swap out ROM chips! Kind of reminds me of the griping about node boards. Hate the problems with early SPIKE games, but don't hate the concept because it is a really good thing and here to stay across the industry. Also, my poor back isn't getting any younger, those extra 50 pounds of needless transformer and wiring are not missed by me at all. In the context of this thread, I hate pinball machines that are unnecessarily heavy.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I wonder why JJP's "dinosaur" of a computer system is capable of producing far higher quality animations then Sterns Spike system can? Oh, yeah that's because it's far more powerful.

You realize that animations are by definition generated ahead of time and simply played back? Sure there are some graphics on pinball machines that are generated in real time, but real Xbox One video processing power is not needed in a pinball machine. Even with a 1080p screen, simple onboard graphics chips are fine or there would be a graphics card in the JJP games to boost performance. Not sure how graphics power became a subject since it was node boards that were the center of the hate. Node boards or lack there of has nothing to do with the main CPU in a system and its graphics capabilities. If you like the graphics better on one pinball machine than another its because of better programming and not better hardware. You JJP fanboys also seem to prefer the larger screen. I much prefer the screens on SPIKE, AP, Spooky and CGS as more suitable size for pinball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-hate-club?tu=john_i and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.