(Topic ID: 70397)

Pinball is now acting like a TRUE HOBBY !!!

By houseofpin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the_end_is_in_sight.jpg
    image.jpg
    tumblr_lnv985poLM1qdgcqqo1_500.jpg
    caddyshack-danny-noonan.jpg
    image.jpg
    gallery.6.1.jpg
    dis_gona_be_good_gif.gif
    image.jpg
    not-sure-if-clever-or-just-beating-a-dead-horse-477.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 9.33.53 AM.png
    zP10f.gif
    bandits.jpg
    image-989.jpg
    Tin Men.jpg
    iwipemyasswith100dollarbills.jpg
    morgueFile-turtles-1.jpg

There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 10 years ago

Well gang maybe most of you haven't noticed but the time has finally come. It now COSTS MONEY to buy a pinball machine and enjoy it. The days of buying pins and selling them for more money then you paid have come and gone. Why it has taken so long truly is beyond me......but supply is going up (lots of new pins coming on board every year) and demand isn't increasing with it. Wait until people start figuring out that when they buy a TZ for $5K they might only get $3.5-$4K if they go to sell it......might start to make them think twice.....or buy a NIB for $7K only to get $5K in a year or two if they decide to sell it.....those days are close as well (just ask some Avenger and X-MEN owners lately).

I have not seen so many decently priced pins "sit" and people continually having to lower prices. It is RAMPANT.

However, like I have said before "hobbies should cost money" and pinball should be no different. If this is a permanent change (which I feel it is) we will see how many people continue to expand their collections knowing a pinball machine is now a "depreciating asset" like it should have been all along in my opinion. Pinball machines are not CLASSIC CARS (which eventually crashed) or FINE ART (sorry guys a CC is not a PICASSO even though some on here believe it is....LOL). They are no different in my opinion then a playstation and if technology ever takes a drastic change prices will go the way of EM's....then what will most people do ????

Regardless....for me it will always be my cheapest hobby (sport tickets, boating and golf cost me many thousands every year) so if my collection starts to decline 10 percent a year it is still will be my cheapest hobby !!!

I am curious to see how many people start to bail once the new reality sets in....AND IT IS HAPPENING and ANYONE WHO DOESN'T SEE IT NEEDS GLASSES......the excuse of "seasonality" is gone as we are approaching the best months to sell pins and I don't see any "snap back" in demand and prices !!!

#2 10 years ago

man your posting style is so obnoxious. i can't even be bothered to read the whole thing to figure out if i agree or not.

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

man your posting style is so obnoxious. i can't even be bothered to read the whole thing to figure out if i agree or not.

Well put.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

I just read it in Abe Simpson's voice.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

I just read it in Abe Simpson's voice.

Way back in nineteen dickity-two...

#6 10 years ago

I think I found Charlie Browns teacher

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

I think I found Charlie Browns teacher
    » YouTube video

Hah I didn't even have to watch the video... I read it and immediately knew what you were talking about and almost died

#8 10 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #9 10 years ago

stock-footage-dog-making-a-poop-hd-p-setter-and-cocker-mix-dog-making-a-poop-on-grass-use-for-social.jpgstock-footage-dog-making-a-poop-hd-p-setter-and-cocker-mix-dog-making-a-poop-on-grass-use-for-social.jpg

Quoted from houseofpin:

AND IT IS HAPPENING

Quoted from houseofpin:

ANYONE WHO DOESN'T SEE IT NEEDS GLASSES

#10 10 years ago

Waterfall 001.jpgWaterfall 001.jpg

#11 10 years ago

Doo doo doo lookin' out my back door.

8213 004.jpg8213 004.jpg

#12 10 years ago

God damnit! I just love this guy.

#13 10 years ago

326 002.jpg326 002.jpg

#14 10 years ago

I think I understood your post. The price of machines is coming down for sure. Just wait until MMR deliveries start happening. You're going to see a glut of games being dumped on the market like you've never seen before.

#15 10 years ago

My pin buying wad is blown. Or I would be snatching up a few more titles at some of the bargain prices. I have no more room left for new pins. I have to sell something first.
    I like and want to keep most of what I have right now. I am not going to sell something I have if I can't replace it with equal value.

I agree that I see a lot of price drops lately.

Pinball machines are purchased with cash. Pinball machines are not purchased with a credit card.
    Pinball machines are not used as collateral to make other purchases.

The whole market is fictitious. Right now it is being softened by the MMr announcement. The same people that had jobs before Expo, still have jobs. Everyone is just not buying right now like they normally would. It is just the herd mentality.

People seem to be playing the pin market as if it were the stock market. I don't know about you guys, But I play pinball.

#16 10 years ago

I knew there would be at least one brain-melting post tonight. Thanks for getting it out of the way early HOP.

#17 10 years ago

Looking out my back door

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #18 10 years ago

I want to be your neighbor !

#19 10 years ago

I am sitting on my cash waiting for The Big lebowski pin.
    Until then I will...
    abidingdude04.jpgabidingdude04.jpg

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nilroc:

Looking out my back door

image.jpg 383 KB

Ha, classic BC.

#21 10 years ago

I like

morgueFile-turtles-1.jpgmorgueFile-turtles-1.jpg
    #22 10 years ago

Glad I made the night a little more lively.

Prices are declining though and will continue to decline the same as boats, cars, ipads, etc. Now if PICASSO personally painted my TOM (which is a work of art) we would see some appreciation year after year.

It is funny how some people truly can't handle the thought of prices declining. I still believe that about 20-50 percent of the guys on here truly have justified the purchases to their wives under the premise "honey, they go up in value so leave me alone". I would love to be a fly on the wall if prices crash 50% over the next few years and their wife inquiries as to the value of the collection that was once $50K.....and now $25K.

On the bright side, just throw it in the stock market. The market goes up every day and Yellen just had her confirmation hearing and when asked stated "the stock market is not in a bubble"....TOO FUNNY !!!! Neither was housing in 2006.......let housing go up 30 percent in one year and it is a bubble so how aren't stocks approaching a bubble......this country is in big trouble as the Fed is trying to stop every recession now......no more free market we just keep printing money.

#23 10 years ago

"You know Dick, you've been a real Richard lately..."

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from houseofpin:

I would love to be a fly on the wall if prices crash 50% over the next few years and their wife inquiries as to the value of the collection that was once $50K.....and now $25K.

Glad you hope all our collections lose value, I bet you would find great joy in it.

#25 10 years ago

Center.....it isn't like my collection isn't worth a good amount of money. My point has been all along these aren't investments and anyone that does a hobby isn't doing it to make money. I have just seen way too much greed in this hobby and I do hope prices drop. I golf....cost me tons of money.....I boat....cost me MANY TONS of money.....go to many sporting events....tons of money......those are hobbies. So is pinball and truly too many on here don't get that it is suppose to cost money. They treat pins like investments and they aren't in my opinion nor should they be.

Your post acts like I have no collection.....I would say mine is probably larger then most (currently 11 pins with a cost/value of $50K).....so if the price goes up GREAT my point is that it shouldn't.

Enough said.....don't worry your wife will forgive you if the value goes to $0.....

#26 10 years ago

Are you dummies still using Charmin?
    iwipemyasswith100dollarbills.jpgiwipemyasswith100dollarbills.jpg

#27 10 years ago

Oh, HoP...C U next Tuesday

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

Are you dummies still using Charmin?

You're right on the money with that kind of thinkin' BB, nickels and dimes.

Tin Men.jpgTin Men.jpg

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nilroc:

Looking out my back door

image.jpg 383 KB

Mmmm BC buds

We only get crack & meth out here

No half legal hookers/pot for USA

But it's OK to black out on vodka

Hurry, let's get all political & get the thread locked!

#30 10 years ago

I throw in the towel all my pins $.99

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Are you referring to THE YELLING CAPS or the frequent ellipses containing anywhere from 4 to 8 periods?

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from surfsidedetail:

I throw in the towel all my pins $.99

Wish you were closer

#33 10 years ago

Hey OP, remember when you created a second account in an attempt to manipulated people. Do not try and deny it, or I will be forced to out you again with links and quotes. Good luck with your many hobbies. Your a clever one. PS...I have screen capture of your insane rants.

#34 10 years ago

I agree with the content. Makes sense. Not rocket science.

But, the subtext is kind of like a little boy at high school this week who will be telling everybody he has a PS4 and an XBOX One and 'aren't I the big guy now'?

#35 10 years ago

^until both brick-out and/or get you arrested because big brother is watching you though the camera

#36 10 years ago

Stopped reading after two sentences. Nope no twilight zones on Craigslist for 3-4 grand whatever your smoking maybe cut back a bit for all of our sake.

#37 10 years ago

Attention seeking rabble rouser stirring the pot.

#38 10 years ago

image-989.jpgimage-989.jpg

#39 10 years ago

The only thing part of the OP posts I find annoying are the references to his/her other incredibly expensive hobbies.
    Still doesn't mean I have the right to call the guy/gal names >_>

Move on, move up.

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

man your posting style is so obnoxious.

Nah........man. You just............don't..............get it.

#41 10 years ago

I love bedtime stories. Hop glad you are not closer

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

TL;DR version:

The end is nigh! We're all doomed! Repent, repent!

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Just wait. I've already calculated that the likeliness of boob pics showing up in any given thread is 96.72%. I haven't figured the correlation versus causation factors for the disproportionate amount of boob pics to female Pinsiders, yet. I've been too busy playing pinball and eating bacon.

bandits.jpgbandits.jpg
    #44 10 years ago

Like his style or not it's the truth. Some people just don't like the truth. he didn't sugar coat anything,just stated the facts. Ed

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from Fast-Ed:

Like his style or not it's the truth. Some people just don't like the truth. he didn't sugar coat anything,just stated the facts. Ed

Facts or not, so obnoxious. The "hey, I'm rich so I can afford to take a hit on my pinball hobby. otoh, you poorer schmucks that convinced your wife's this was an investment! Would love to see you get beaten up when the market goes south…". Isn't that precious? What a doofuss...

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from houseofpin:

Well gang maybe most of you haven't noticed but the time has finally come. It now COSTS MONEY to buy a pinball machine and enjoy it. The days of buying pins and selling them for more money then you paid have come and gone. Why it has taken so long truly is beyond me......but supply is going up (lots of new pins coming on board every year) and demand isn't increasing with it. Wait until people start figuring out that when they buy a TZ for $5K they might only get $3.5-$4K if they go to sell it......might start to make them think twice.....or buy a NIB for $7K only to get $5K in a year or two if they decide to sell it.....those days are close as well (just ask some Avenger and X-MEN owners lately).
    I have not seen so many decently priced pins "sit" and people continually having to lower prices. It is RAMPANT.
    However, like I have said before "hobbies should cost money" and pinball should be no different. If this is a permanent change (which I feel it is) we will see how many people continue to expand their collections knowing a pinball machine is now a "depreciating asset" like it should have been all along in my opinion. Pinball machines are not CLASSIC CARS (which eventually crashed) or FINE ART (sorry guys a CC is not a PICASSO even though some on here believe it is....LOL). They are no different in my opinion then a playstation and if technology ever takes a drastic change prices will go the way of EM's....then what will most people do ????
    Regardless....for me it will always be my cheapest hobby (sport tickets, boating and golf cost me many thousands every year) so if my collection starts to decline 10 percent a year it is still will be my cheapest hobby !!!
    I am curious to see how many people start to bail once the new reality sets in....AND IT IS HAPPENING and ANYONE WHO DOESN'T SEE IT NEEDS GLASSES......the excuse of "seasonality" is gone as we are approaching the best months to sell pins and I don't see any "snap back" in demand and prices !!!

No worries.... Just remember your words of wisdom next time you're selling a machine

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from houseofpin:

I golf....cost me tons of money.....I boat....cost me MANY TONS of money.....go to many sporting events....tons of money......those are hobbies.

Whatever you get out of making your point, whether you are right or wrong....Don't throw your riches around. It is definitely unbecoming. Perhaps cut down some hobbies yourself and donate to the homeless.

#48 10 years ago

Interesting observation, I think the fact that pins hyper inflated in the last couple years cannot be disputed. So it would be difficult to argue that it is possible to see a correction in the market. Not the entire market, but certainly in areas. Seems to me, the new pin market is still going strong. As is the sub $2500 market.

By the way, contrary to popular belief, not everyone's wife is a controlling bitch.....and not everyone's wife tells them what they can and cannot do...... There are still some "MEN" left.

#49 10 years ago

LOL

zP10f.gifzP10f.gif

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nilroc:

Looking out my back door

Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 9.33.53 AM.pngScreen Shot 2013-11-16 at 9.33.53 AM.png

Party & Nilroc house!

There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-has-now-is-acting-like-a-true-hobby and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.