20140701_183532.jpg
20140701_183403.jpg
20140701_183329.jpg
20140701_181839.jpg
20140701_183506.jpg
20140701_175741.jpg
20140701_184447.jpg
index.jpg
There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

If I were Stern, I'd send PHOF a permanent loaner of every new pin produced. The money goes to a great cause and it's good advertising. Those pins get a lot of play from people visiting Vegas.

They might have to do that, because Tim said earlier this year that he was done buying new Sterns.

#52 9 years ago

For the price of a Mustang Prem/LE, he could get a good Foxbody Mustang instead!!!

#53 9 years ago

I don't blame anyone for passing on Mustang - including any hall of fame.

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

PHOF decided to pass on Mustang, just like lots of people. Not sure why this is a shocker it's a terrible theme and it's not a very good game.
I really had no idea that PHOF was supposed to buy every new Stern game.
Quality vent though, you really let 'em have it.

Interesting comment....I played one at our local arcade. It had credits on it so I played for free. For me, that was the right price. I was bored by the end and didn't bother to play off the credits. I don't understand why this was released. Seems a giant step backwards, but I know some people do like it.

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They might have to do that, because Tim said earlier this year that he was done buying new Sterns.

A great suggestion! Pretty cheap advertising.

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from bayoubilly70:

Okay... you just sound like the combination of the Star Wars' Evil Emperor. Maybe that's just your way.
Pleasant.
Have a nice day.

that's one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. Thank you! Honest! what is the other thing i'm a combination of, though? a horse's a$$?

In all honesty though, if Tim feels the same way about the game as i do, it *might* explain why they aren't buying one. I personally have only heard bad things about the game from the group of people i talk with in real life. The game might be better than i originally thought but some normally very open minded pinheads have flat out stated they don't like the game.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

i think you should tell him both these things in person... i'm sure tim would love to have an in-depth discussion with you about what titles YOU think should be there...

Would love to hear how that goes! His contribution is undeniable and he once gave me a nice poster I had framed and still have. But he can be touchy too! I filmed him for a pinball documentary and as soon as he found out it was going to be a straight up type of film, lets just say he made sure I wouldn't be able to use the footage. He prefers very eccentric productions, which I found out after viewing some things he was involved in, but that is certainly his perogative. But he can also be quite generous, and I will never forget all the times he allowed us to play his games over at his barn before he opened the museum. I still have not made it to he museum, but I am surprised to hear some classic Ballys are not there. Fathom and Centaur should be in any museum. But, hard to be critical of the man that saw his dream through and shares it with everyone.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'm not gonna lie, I love some redemption games.
We are going to Disney in September, and one of the things I'm excited about is a lunch at Dave & Busters. I'll drop a benjamin on redemption games easy with my kids. I'm a sucker for the big price is right style wheels.....

big-bass-wheel-pro-jackpot-ticke... 30 KB

That is the number one earning redemption game right now...guess you have good taste! The one near us is $1 though....not for me!

#59 9 years ago

It has been lamented for years that "Hall of Fame" is a misnomer.

But it does raise newcomers' expectations so that we can have threads like this every so often!

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Frax is right. Tim has his priorities. And did get the PHOF going for just that.
You want 400 pins ? You want variety ? You want a great time ? Then PHOF is for you.
LTG : )™

the Pinball Hall of Fame does *NOT* have 400 games.
they have 225 to 250 at any given time.
why do you keep saying this??

#61 9 years ago

There's a real simple explanation for the lack of Stern Mustang at the PHoF.

Tim believes, from first hand experience, that John Trudeau games do not make money. He has had poor success with nearly every game John Trudeau has designed. For that reason, Tim won't buy another John Trudeau designed title. Obviously other's mileage will vary, but that's how Tim sees it. So no Mustang at the Pinball Hall of Fame.

Also Tim is pretty sick of the new Stern machines and their lack of quality. So the Trudeau thing probably just pushed the envelope enough over the edge to make Tim not want a Stern Mustang. Tim says that new Sterns last about 6 months and then become a repair nightmare. Of course he likes the Gottlieb EMs which generally require little to no repair. But he says even the WPC Williams/Ballys don't require the baby sitting a new Stern needs.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

I also love the 80's Bally machines, and there not very many early 80's machines that I would expect at a place like this- Titles that are missing include Centaur, Fathom, Paragon, Embryon, Medusa, and many more early 80's machines. WTF? This is the "hall of fame", right? Lots of early 90's gottliebs are missing also (just about none are there). While I can partially understand why Mustang was a pass, I have no idea why the big hit early 80's machines are missing.
I also figured this would be the place to play the ultra rare title of "Big Bang Bar", but that was missing also. ugh.
Am I grateful that PHOF is there? Hell yes. Do I think it could be more? Yep, way more.
Just venting and opening this up for conversation. Luckily there is way too much more to do in vegas anyways.

Self serving post, but do check out the Ann Arbor pinball museum when they are open. They have all the 1980s machines you listed above, plus many more. And yes there's a Big Bang Bar and of course all the big title WPC games (in addition to tons of EMs and woodrails.)
http://www.vfwpinball.com/games.php

#63 9 years ago

In fairness to Mustang/Trudeau, it looks like he hasn't bought a Stern since CSI, according to the web site.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

that's one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. Thank you! Honest! what is the other thing i'm a combination of, though? a horse's a$$?
In all honesty though, if Tim feels the same way about the game as i do, it *might* explain why they aren't buying one. I personally have only heard bad things about the game from the group of people i talk with in real life. The game might be better than i originally thought but some normally very open minded pinheads have flat out stated they don't like the game.

Im opened minded and I like the game... and I've owned games from the 50s to the present. I like them all for different reasons.

Its cool... I get you dont like it. Im just done with pinball reviews regarding "it just suck because the theme and call outs suck, blah blah...., the music sucks... blah blah blah"

I like it. You don't.. to each their own. I think the PHOF is great. Not everyone wants to promote the same thing... thats fine.

Go flippin'... I see lots of "this era sucks. this designer sucks, early solid state is the best, this design should have used ..., the software..."

I just try to see the best of any game out there. Constructive criticism is fine and might have even made XMEN updates better. But its just useless, in my opinion, to say, a game suck just because I want..." Other folks might like the theme and/or etc.... If you want the ideal game for you go either design or re-theme and game and get on with it.

Go flip and have some fun... Influence things in a positive way if you can. Comments like "theme, music, art, call outs just suck" is useless spoiled brat whining. Try some constructive feedback, rather than 'this designer didnt get it right again and it blows (for example) and whatever and try to make things better than just playing keyboard commando "This sucks!" blah blah blah

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from ReallifePin:

Tread lightly....

In my opinion, I think the problem is your expectations more than the PHOF.

You can say that again.

I've criticized PHOF plenty myself, but his reasoning is way off base, expecting a place like this to have every top pin ever made, including things like BBB.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Actually he said that last year, before MET came out, and he still bought MET.

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You can say that again.
I've criticized PHOF plenty myself, but his reasoning is way off base, expecting a place like this to have every Top Pin ever made, including things like BBB.

Actually, BBB isn't a "top pin", but a rare one that you'd hope a destination place like this would have. Kind of like Pinball Circus and going nuts, etc.

I don't think my expectations are "unreasonable", and I certainly didn't say I didn't like the PHOF.

If you are looking at my post as bashing and not as constructive, then you are taking it the wrong way.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

Actually, BBB isn't a "top pin", but a rare one that you'd hope a destination place like this would have. Kind of like Pinball Circus and going nuts, etc.
I don't think my expectations are "unreasonable", and I certainly didn't say I didn't like the PHOF.
If you are looking at my post as bashing and not as constructive, then you are taking it the wrong way.

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that you were bashing PHOF and reading my post again I can see why it might come across that way. I just think that your expectations were unreasonably high, but if you were not at all familiar with PHOF I guess that would be an easy thing to do.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball4life:

Interesting comment....I played one at our local arcade. It had credits on it so I played for free. For me, that was the right price. I was bored by the end and didn't bother to play off the credits. I don't understand why this was released. Seems a giant step backwards, but I know some people do like it.

I'm guessing it was released because they figured the theme would be enough to move it into the living rooms of countless Mustang afficionados, and the quality of the game wasn't that important.

They can't all be Metallicas or Trons. I'm guessing the design cycle on this one was pretty short.

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

In fairness to Mustang/Trudeau, it looks like he hasn't bought a Stern since CSI, according to the web site.

there is a met premium and a stle there...

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Tim said earlier this year that he was done buying new Sterns

Quoted from cfh:

Tim is pretty sick of the new Stern machines and their lack of quality

Didn't Tim or Clay bash Avengers hulk LE edition for it's horrible choice to use wedge bulbs everywhere, not to mention the very hard to see green DMD.

#72 9 years ago

The PHoF has its overflow of older em's at the Rivera hotel. Quite alot actually, with some Sterns.

#73 9 years ago

Give the OP a break. It's a forum post about his visit, not a 60 minutes hit piece. I heard he was not buying any new sterns about a year ago and found several new ones there including Metallica premium and a Star Trek. Tim is eccentric. Overall, it's a good place and I still go when I'm in Vegas . I personally love the variety of games. Many of the EM have credits on them that the casual player doesn't even notice they won. The popcorn machine and red hot dispenser are also nice.

#74 9 years ago

Im opened minded

useless spoiled brat whining

most open minded people don't resort to name calling over someone's opinion on a pinball machine. It just seems like you can't handle someone having a different opinion than you.

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

most open minded people don't resort to name calling over someone's opinion on a pinball machine. It just seems like you can't handle someone having a different opinion than you.

Thats the same thing I was thinking when I was reading the "mustang is one of the greatest games ever" thread

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Give the OP a break. It's a forum post about his visit, not a 60 minutes hit piece. I heard he was not buying any new sterns about a year ago and found several new ones there including Metallica premium and a Star Trek. Tim is eccentric. Overall, it's a good place and I still go when I'm in Vegas . I personally love the variety of games. Many of the EM have credits on them that the casual player doesn't even notice they won. The popcorn machine and red hot dispenser are also nice.

That's good news because Tim instructed the hippie to "knock-off" any credits left on a machine standing idle with the understanding it will result in "more money for the Salvation Army" which is the top priority of the Las Vegas Pinball Collector's Club, the managing arm of the PHoF.

I left a machine I had won some games on and walked over to my son in the next row to tell him I left him two credits on a particular machine. I was back by the machine within a minute and the hippie was knocking off the games. (the place was empty with less than five customers at the time). Yes, this was about five years ago. Poor policy IMO.

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Tim is eccentric.

Begins and ends with this. No point trying to make sense of anything else.

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Begins and ends with this. No point trying to make sense of anything else.

The saying goes: "The only difference between an asshole and an eccentric is that one of them has money". Since Tim obviously has money, the eccentric term probably does not apply.

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

You can say that again.

#80 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

The saying goes: "The only difference between an asshole and an eccentric is that one of them has money". Since Tim obviously has money, the eccentric term probably does not apply.

You just made that up didn't you.

#81 9 years ago

This thread is fascinating...OP posts his opinions on PHOF, OP gets barked at because he had some criticism and wasn't gushing all over the place.

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Tim buys what he wants. I don't understand why this is so hard to wrap your head around.
He didn't want to spend $5000 on a Mustang, so he didn't. It's not some kind of international conspiracy to ruin your visit.

Makes no sense. Mustang is a perfect theme for that place and the clientele. It would make a mint, especially being the latest Stern...and next to a lot of Tim's games that new shine would suck in quarters. Tim probably has an axe to grind with Stern or is on some other principled crusade. Otherwise he's cutting off his nose to spite his face. Hell, I'll be in Vegas in a few weeks. Maybe I'll offer to buy him the game myself if he splits the take with me 50-50. Mustang will KILL at PHoF.

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

That's good news because Tim instructed the hippie to "knock-off" any credits left on a machine standing idle with the understanding it will result in "more money for the Salvation Army" which is the top priority of the Las Vegas Pinball Collector's Club, the managing arm of the PHoF.
I left a machine I had won some games on and walked over to my son in the next row to tell him I left him two credits on a particular machine. I was back by the machine within a minute and the hippie was knocking off the games. (the place was empty with less than five customers at the time). Yes, this was about five years ago. Poor policy IMO.

What's a hippie? Lol.

#84 9 years ago

Im opened minded and I like the game... and I've owned games from the 50s to the present. I like them all for different reasons.
Its cool... I get you dont like it. Im just done with pinball reviews regarding "it just suck because the theme and call outs suck, blah blah...., the music sucks... blah blah blah"
I like it. You don't.. to each their own. I think the PHOF is great. Not everyone wants to promote the same thing... thats fine.
Go flippin'... I see lots of "this era sucks. this designer sucks, early solid state is the best, this design should have used ..., the software..."
I just try to see the best of any game out there. Constructive criticism is fine and might have even made XMEN updates better. But its just useless, in my opinion, to say, a game suck just because I want..." Other folks might like the theme and/or etc.... If you want the ideal game for you go either design or re-theme and game and get on with it.
Go flip and have some fun... Influence things in a positive way if you can. Comments like "theme, music, art, call outs just suck" is useless spoiled brat whining. Try some constructive feedback, rather than 'this designer didnt get it right again and it blows (for example) and whatever and try to make things better than just playing keyboard commando "This sucks!" blah blah blah

Totally agree. When people clearly get off ragging on - and piling on - a PINBALL they don't care for, it makes me wonder what informs their opinions and behavior with regard to things that are actually important. So much negativity in the world and yet these people feel entitled to just spread more.

I heard a great quote today: the destructive power of fools is enraging. Yes, it is!

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Maybe not. But he's had IM for years. Tron LE, TFLE, ACDC, etc. and that's before his MET and ST.

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I thought it's the eccentric who has money in that expression.

His bathroom visitor trouble has to do with his attitude, no doubt, not that I'm condoning that!

#87 9 years ago

I took my wife to Vegas last year for our anniversary. Didn't have the balls to suggest that we go the PHOF. Maybe next time.

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

I took my wife to Vegas last year for our anniversary. Didn't have the balls to suggest that we go the PHOF. Maybe next time.

Even for non-pinball people, that place is like an art show. She could just look at the older machines while you play. That's what my wife usually does.

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Grow a pair!!! That's a term I rarely use. Mostly because when I hear it used it's used in defense of some ridiculous, antiquated interpretation of what being a man should be. But I think it fits here. Great Caesars Ghost grow a pair and drag that woman by the hair down the strip and to the PHoF!

And then after you can take her to the Liberace museum across the street when you two have had your fills playing WOZ.

#90 9 years ago

So we're not allowed to say a game isn't good as a plausible explanation as to why someone might not buy it? Ok.

#91 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

So we're not allowed to say a game isn't good as a plausible explanation as to why someone might not buy it? Ok.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

The key word is "our" in the phrase "our anniversary" ....meaning both parties need to get what they want out of it. And that means a little compromise on both sides. If one of you can't do that, it will just be luck if you make it to the next anniversary.

#93 9 years ago

The Liberace Museum has been closed for a while.

#94 9 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

vegas just ain't vegas anymore...

#95 9 years ago

They still have the Erotic Heritage Museum

erotic_heritage_by_sam_morris_t1000.jpgerotic_heritage_by_sam_morris_t1000.jpg

#96 9 years ago

The Liberace Museum may not be open but there's a casino near Aria that has some of his items like his rhinestone-studded car and I think a piano or two.

Went to PBHoF last month and had my wife meet me after she went to the atomic testing museum. She'd skipped going to PBHoF last time, but I think she really enjoyed the time she was there, especially the skee-ball with the taunting alien.

I saw two games I had not yet seen - J.J. Abram's "Star Trek" and Wizard of Oz. Sitting right next to each other. Played WoZ, what a ball-draining killer! And scoring was really really low compared to late '90s Williams But what struck me most was the contrast between WoZ's modern LCD and Star Trek's stuck-in-the-90s DMD. WoZ made ST look dated. Given that all the other modern games were in the front of the shop, I'm sure that the placement was no accident.

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

I used to take their shuttle from the strip to the museum. Free ride to the PHOF across the street. There were usually 2 or 3 blue-haired old women on the shuttle, and a vintage Liberace video playing. That guy definitely doesn't transcend generations. It's no wonder the place closed.

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I used to take their shuttle from the strip to the museum. Free ride to the PHOF across the street. There were usually 2 or 3 blue-haired old women on the shuttle, and a vintage Liberace video playing. That guy definitely doesn't transcend generations. It's no wonder the place closed.

well, it's not just the man, it's the music…and not just Liberace music…classical music. Many have no clue that Liberace was one of the best classical pianists of his generation in the world. He just chose to max life out in vegas as a megastar instead of traveling to musty old concert halls around the world for pocket change.

#99 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Totally agree. When people clearly get off ragging on - and piling on - a PINBALL they don't care for, it makes me wonder what informs their opinions and behavior with regard to things that are actually important.

And just like the things that are important, people are not not permitted to have an opinion - unless it agrees with yours? The game sucks...that's my opinion on an open forum.

* off soap box *

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Grow a pair!!! That's a term I rarely use. Mostly because when I hear it used it's used in defense of some ridiculous, antiquated interpretation of what being a man should be. But I think it fits here. Great Caesars Ghost grow a pair and drag that woman by the hair down the strip and to the PHoF!
And then after you can take her to the Liberace museum across the street when you two have had your fills playing WOZ.

The Liberace museum is closed!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Moravia, NY
7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wichita, KS
There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-hall-of-fame-weve-decided-to-pass-on-mustang/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.