Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,151 posts
  • 337 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 61 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

received_732303621409397 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1975 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1973 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1972 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1970 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1971 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1968 (resized).JPG
    858130df12416475a5cd5bb73602cfff.gif
    tumblr_9ee87d544743177d9d136917fe11e1a7_032c26e6_500 (resized).jpg
    A06C74E7-1674-4652-97BF-A32CD8B36436 (resized).jpeg
    177063FD-0BDF-4377-A2CC-D665EBC085D2 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20221229_131552_Chrome (resized).jpg
    DCA49D93-4F81-4ED0-AC63-6E4E2D811AEA (resized).jpeg
    B92C2451-B14B-436E-BC21-4B28458E8982 (resized).jpeg
    20140824142944833 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0662 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider roostking.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#241 3 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Not sure why people keep thinking Tim needs suggestions on how to run the most profitable arcade in the world.
    The current cash flow issue is due to that pesky global pandemic. He doesn’t need armchair quarterbacks who have never run anything telling him what to do.
    I do wish he’d spend some of those massive profits on paying techs to keep the games up, but no one can deny his formula works. It does. So save your ideas and instead, drop a few coins in the donation box.

Scolds people for suggesting changes on how he should run his business.

Gives suggestions on how to run his business lol.

#243 3 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Again - put yourself into Tim's shoes. He wakes up everyday and works all day for free typically giving close to (or over) a half a million dollars a year to charity. He is always behind - has a ton of machines to fix and all other aspects of a business to run. He really doesn't have time to sit around hearing (or reading) about how he should change things and why.
    When any of us get to the point we are doing as much for charity as he is I am sure he would gladly sit down and hear ideas but for now he just needs a little help getting the final money it is going to take to get the new place open.

So a guy who has already done more than anyone else in the hobby to help both the hobby & charity should donate more of his personal stuff to PHOF. It isn't enough that the majority of the machines in PHOF were already donated by him and that he also works every day for free - you think he should be doing more instead of asking a few other people to step up and give a little?

I was simply replying to the person I quoted, as it seemed hypocritical. I have no desire to run something like this. I do have some ideas like others, but even ideas from a consumer dont seem to go over well.

Been to PHOF a few times, will be back and will donate.

#262 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

If you've never been in the same room with Tim you wouldn't understand. I first heard him speak about the PHOF at California Extreme when the first building was just a dream. I'll be donating for sure. I haven't been to the PHOF but will get there someday as my folks spend 5 months out of the year there. I was last in Vegas in 1974. I was 5 years old.
    I agree one guy can't service 700 pins alone but Tim has his business model and helpers. It's kind of like Jay Leno single handedly taking care of his car collection.
    Tim, keep the faith, ignore the haters and keep doing what you do. It will all come together. You've given so much back, you'll be ok. I hope you reach the goal more sooner than later so you might sleep better at night. You've got a big move ahead of you!

Its nothing like Jay Leno and his car collection. Not a knock, I doubt Tim has Jays money, but Jay pays mechanics top $$$ to keep his collection up and running."Pays".

#266 3 years ago

I don't mind seeing the "suggestions" or seeing the complaining because every post here bumps this post and the more people who see it the more people who will likely donate. One thing I do hate to see is when people start attacking Tim personally. Each person has their own "style" & personality and Tim can surely be abrasive at times but that should be expected of anyone dealing with the general public long hours everyday.
    Just think about it from this perspective for a minute: You are busy trying to get a machine fixed and that machine is fighting you, a half hour earlier someone told you the men's room was a mess and is out of paper towels, your help didn't show up today and you have been on your feet for the past 6 hours without a break and all of a sudden someone walks over and says "I lost a quarter in the ------- ---------- machine" and "someone spilled some popcorn you should clean up ASAP". Are you always going to have a smile on your face?
    Tim always make it very clear what his two goals are: First off he wants to have an arcade open to the public where people can enjoy some of his collection and second he wants to keep overhead as low as possible and donate ALL excess funds to charity. Pretty simple formula that has served him well for years. There are not many working class people in this world who could be building a $10 million dollar building in Vegas and are able to do that after giving the profits from your business away for the past 10+ years. He must be doing something right!
    ONE THIRD OF THE WAY TO $200,000 KEEP IT GOING! Help Tim keep things on track if you have a little cash you can share!

Not a hater, but the answer to the problem of being "crass or pissed off at simple requests" that a business must manage, is in your post.

If you dont want to hire some minimum wage peeps to clean the bathroom and give someone a quarter back, then dont be pissed at the customer for wanting a clean, working environment. I dont own a people facing business. Tim does and with that, comes expectations of service. Dont blame the consumer and cant wait to be a consumer again.

#291 3 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I’d like more working machines personally but in no way am I going to tell Tim how to run his business because it is clearly successful.
    There’s a difference.

The problem is, the current location has to be found by pinheads, so we can generally accept service issues, cause we love the place. A new shiny building on the strip with the same "old way worked at the old location" mindset is going to be very bad for business IMO. Lots of nonpinheads walking by, might go check it out and leave dissapointed. They tell friend's. Point being, lots more eyeballs on the PHOF, which could be good or bad.

Cant wait to check out new building!

#292 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

Yes,that was my point.If Jay was doing it alone there might be some "weak flippers" here and there if you catch my drift.

He isnt offering his cars to drive for a fee as far as I know. PHOF doesnt have to do it alone, it just chooses too. If he were to hire a few people, yes that might make a difference in the short term donations to charity, but long term, business would (hopefully) increase, and with it more donation money. Dunno? Seems like biz 101.

#293 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I wouldn't worry aboot downvotes. Whoever gives you any supposedly disagrees with you. They really mean little to nothing. As for the website description of the place, Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Or in magazines.

Agreed, upvotes/downvotes who cares.

Disagree, if the website itself describes it as such, as a mission statement if you will. You expect to visit the self proclaimed Pinball Hall Of Fame, with high expectations. Agreed?

1 week later
    #485 3 years ago

Sadly donations are slowing way down (under $1000 a day the last three days * if you don't include one or two big donations). At this rate things are not looking good. It really makes me sad to think that the tens of thousands of people in this hobby can't find it in their heart to support the biggest & best arcade on the planet. Every few dollars helps but there are just not enough people stepping up?
    I realize times are tough for some people but 1/3 of the people in this country are doing as well (or better) than ever. I fully understand people who are having a tough go of things not stepping up but there should be plenty of people with some extra money for enough donations to come in to keep PHOF from closing. Close isn't going to cut it if I am understand things correctly. Tim didn't ask for twice as much as he needs - he asked for about 1/2 of what the shortfall is.
    Please help if you can!
    https://gofund.me/37f7e2b2

Lots of Rich as hell on here could write the check now. I sent my meager amount. If i had a couple mill in the bank, this thread would be closed.

#486 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

To me, Tim's a rock star.
    I approached him to ask where to buy T-shirts even though I knew where they were. Just wanted to say "Hi" but wanted a reason to bug him.
    Now I can't get the image of him with his headlight out of my mind.

Soo, hes busy and you felt the need to bug him? How about we leave him alone to build this, unless you wish to greet him, with a $100 in your hand. Damn, I'm no where near as important, but if you come to my cube with some stupid shit, you wont come back again.

Let him work. I dont feel like he wants to be a celebrity, he wont make you one by meeting him.

This is not directed at any one person, but your post is not the first one, so figured I'd address...

I could be wrong and Tim might welcome interruptions every 3 minutes. I doubt I am.

#497 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Damn....Who pissed in your Cheerios?
    My "stupid shit" went as follows.
    I see Tim standing around not doing anything at the time.
    Me: "Hey Tim...congratulations on the new building! Can't wait to see it"
    Tim: (gracious as always) "Thanks... It's coming along pretty good!"
    Me: "You still have T-shirts?"
    Tim: "Yeah...behind the counter."
    Me: Thanks...Have a good day!
    Tim: "You too!"
    It's not like I was the guy that drones on about a pin that I played when I was 12 but can't remember the name of it.
    ...and for what it's worth, in addition to spending $40 that day at PHOF, I also contributed to his GoFundMe and have been a supporter since '06. Throughout the years, I've contributed way more than the $100 you suggested that I hand him.
    You sound like a blast to work with. I'm sure no one dare approach you in your "cube".

Thats not how your post went. It was something like "Tim was working, I already knew where the merch was, but figured I'd bug him anyway". Love your revision!

Here ya go. "I approached him to ask where to buy T-shirts even though I knew where they were. Just wanted to say "Hi" but wanted a reason to bug him"

Mission accomplished! And yes, I do not suffer fools or stupidity lightly. I got shit to do, not point you in the direction of something, when you already know the answer. What a tool lol

#498 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

No...He sells them only at PHOF at this time.

Is it clearly marked, or do we need to find Tim to ask him?

#499 3 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Is it clearly marked, or do we need to find Tim to ask him?

So downvote cause its not clearly marked, or downvote for suggesting we bug Tim to find out. Or downvote cause you dont like I suggest we bug Tim, even if we know the answer to the question. Cause thats fun too!? Ugh. Much confuse.

Glad you went and donated!

#503 3 years ago
    Quoted from no-extra-balls:

How about downvote for acting like an ass?

So, I'm the ass for pointing out the wasting of time of someone who needs all the time they need. Get bent lol.

#505 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Yeah...I know.
    Well, since you seemed to be so obsessed on such a minor thing...
    Downvoted for hijacking a positive thread with so much anger. The weird thing is, you're one of the Pinsiders that have been here for years who I've enjoyed and have upvoted your posts. Not sure why my innocuous post set you off and at this point I no longer care.
    Back to important stuff....
    Almost at 100k....Lets keep this thread near the top. https://www.gofundme.com/f/new-museum-building-on-las-vegas-strip?utm_campaign=m_pd+share-sheet&utm_medium=sms&utm_source=customer-andr

You have good taste! Downvote,upvote who cares. I guess I dont appreciate people admitting to wasting peoples time. You and many others do. Cool.

#506 3 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

So, I'm the ass for pointing out the wasting of time of someone who needs all the time they need. Get bent lol.

Whats that make you? A buttplug? Get bent and realize your time is NOT more valuable than others.

Anyway Tim, sorry we have people bitching about broken pins, yet some revel in the fact they waste your time, and many approve.

Back on topic. Let Tim focus on building this thing, and also a sign that points to merch!! Win win!! Ill pay for the sign, just for those with too much time on their hands!

#507 3 years ago

Truth hurts, suck it up buttercup.

Back on topic. Hopefully Tim has all the time he needs to fix any broken pins, which could drive more visitors. Ill buy the sign that directs people to the merch, you know, so he isn't needlessly bugged!!

#518 3 years ago

Why, exactly.

Quoted from NightOwl:

Having a tough day? A shot (or two) of bourbon and some pinball always takes the edge off for me.

Not really, I just dont understand the need to waste someones time and put them out, if they already know the answer.

Clearly, I was wrong, my apologies to all involved.

1 week later
    #647 3 years ago

Can i get those 8 minutes back?

1 week later
    #688 3 years ago

Great news, cant wait to visit the new arcade!!

1 year later
    #856 1 year ago

#859 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

He backed off the SA a bit when the SA got in lots of trouble... there was local issues too IIRC with the SA leadership. Regardless... the big pivot was to investing in their assets... not something nefarious or misleading. Apparently a lot of people skim Tim's posts instead of reading

Thats why i deleted. I thought maybe an issue with the recent scandal, but decided who knows. Lots of people have backed away from the SA though.

#869 1 year ago

The owner has posted in here before, maybe he will again?

#883 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I swear no one reads the PHOF threads before giving their views, even tho they have been around the entire time. It's so freaky.
    PHOF used to help bring in volunteers in stints including helping with a place to stay. That went away with the old facilities. People also report getting trust from Tim is difficult. Tim reports tons of people don't actually know what they are doing and therefore picky
    So there is this standoff where Tim can't get volunteers that he trusts to stick around long enough to make a sustained impact. They claim they can't get new blood in to learn because of the poor work ethics and basically lack of interest/commitment into this finite role.
    The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Impossible to find someone dedicated enough to live like Tim does... get paid peanuts.. be good enough to win Tim's trust.. and not burn up trying to keep up with a mountain of work.
    Maintaining hundreds of games isn't a one man show. You need a good handful of people who can work on all generations, be willing to do so for peanuts, and be willing to face a 365 day operation. It's a tall order.
    But even if you can't get a winner... they should at least be trying to make some progress. Spend and get at least some work out of it and stop expecting everyone to be like Tim. There aren't enough to go around who can afford to be that.

Thats the point, the $$$ doesnt have to be for peanuts. Pay someone/s a wage that keeps 80% of the pins up and make it a memorable experience, or just rename it the Biggest! Pinball Museum and make people feel lucky that some "old pinballs and games" are playable.

#890 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Would love to hear what people think they need to pay to get that kind of person and staff to do this as a full time gig, be world class, get them to vegas… oh and be paid well enough to actually want the job.
    Where are these mercenaries and why aren’t they already doing this job at other spots?

Dunno, Im not the guy with 100s of pins that need servicing. $100,000 a year? Dont you manage a route or something, what would it take in your opinion?

Or as I suggested. Rename it the Biggest Pinball Museum!! Make people feel good some ol'timey games are working.

#915 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

The labor constraints are not accurate?
    Are there roves of pinball techs doing full time work in your neck of the woods?
    Are all the major pinball sites overflowing with pinball techs doing this full time?
    Are there tons of techs in vegas that just are not working at phof but working pinball full time elsewhere in town?
    Simply having money doesn’t change the problem of what it takes to staff the kind of need here.
    People have a hard time keeping staff to do even the most basic cashier work and you think pay is Tim’s only problem filling the need? That’s cute

You usually have a solution and I find it suprising that you dont. I dont understand your pushback on the obvious, pay someone enough $$$ and make it viable long-term.

What other solution is there, besides scale down or make it a pinball Museum?

#919 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I should think in Las Vegas, a top of the line slot machine tech. Could earn a heck of a lot more than a pinball tech.
    LTG : )

Could a 1/3 - 2/3 line slot tech make a decent 1/3 to fill that gap, and possibly fill what seems to be an unrealized niche in Vegas?

#921 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

flynnibus is all knowing. If he’s pushing back it’s because the universe has willed it this way. He who knows all has spoken do not argue his wisdom.

Well honestly, I think he posts some pretty legit information and seems pretty knowledgeable on pinball and business in general, thus my real curiosity on his pushback on what seems obvious. Hire someone or scale down to meet the ability to maintain at an acceptable level.

#933 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

And the amount of revenue is proportional. You got such a big location and so much money coming in, then I mean... you hire more staff. And you get folks saying how they will be at the Hall of Fame and see no one working on machines but often Tim.
    Bigger the location, the more machines breaking, I mean the answer is pretty clear on what needs to be done instead of just ranting about the youths not wanting to learn.

Agreed, why is there still this pushback on the obvious.

PAY.SOMEONE.ENOUGH

Thats it. Seems the PHOF is unwilling to do that and is possibly suffering.

Its too bad, I feel there should be some qualified techs that are used to working around $$$ in Vega$ of all places..

#1020 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

How was the staff supposed to know this?
    Parents need to control their children whatever their special needs.
    BTW, I'm a grandparent of a special needs child.

If this spinning is a coping mechanism, is it advisable to keep a child with autism around a bunch of blinking lights, sounds, dings, buzzes and whatnot that an arcade can provide? And what if the child had spun into a game and hurt himself? If they are suing now for hurt feelings, you bet your ass they would sue then.

#1021 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZooDude:

I love how everything is somebody else's fault, you'd think Tim would get along great with the millennials and Gen Z. I have nothing but empathy about the repairs and dealing with broken machines, that's not the real problem the problem is Tim and how he treats people. Reality is that Tim is toxic, his toxicity flows through the community, negating any good will.
    Other museums build communities, spread goodwill, he spreads toxicity and bad vibes.
    You reap what you sow, spread bad juju, get it back in spades.
    B

You sure do have an axe to grind!

#1037 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

I'm guessing your kids were behaved?

Maybe they should. Kids are pricks nowadays!

#1045 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

Chuck E Cheese didn’t give shit because it’s staffed with teenagers who don’t give a fuck if kids are jumping off the games. The owner has every right to yell at anyone fucking around his place of business. To his defense, it’s not a daycare or a giant Chuck E Cheese. Why people take their kids to Vegas is mind boggling.

This is why you kick kids, or adults out, who cant behave.

Screenshot_20221229_131552_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221229_131552_Chrome (resized).jpg
    #1077 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

So I was really motivated by this and went into the bank for a business loan.
    Naturally the conversation led to what the business was and when I said I’d like to do is open an arcade with free admission and all revenue would be strictly from the quarters patrons put in the games and maybe 0.001% from selling warm cans of coke for people to drink while they play, the banker chuckled and said ok, but I made it also clear that at any given moment 30-50% of the games will be either off or not play as they are advertised to play.
    Of course banker said “well how do you plan on paying the loan back and also keep the facilities maintained and utilities paid, or even pay your assumed staff with half the real estate occupied by broken games???”
    I just said “that’s the big question isn’t it?” then I leaned in real close and said, “it’s my business I’ll run it how I want.” And gave him a wink.
    The bank denied my loan…

You should try a credit union.

#1101 1 year ago
    Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

I will pass on Chinese armed drones and robot dogs.

You will be assimiliated.

2 weeks later
    #1151 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Well, nobody PMed me, so I took the $50 and bought a souvenir at at PHOF....
    Ok, the volunteer behind the counter gave me the sign for free after I asked. She said it's the strangest ask she has had , said most just steal them off the machines. She asked only that I think about donating a few dollars in the bucket up front for the SA.
    So I donated.
    I think the sign fits the wearer....
    [quoted image]

Nice, should find a better org to donate too though.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider roostking.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-hall-of-fame-is-running-out-of-money?tu=roostking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.