Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,151 posts
  • 337 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 61 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

received_732303621409397 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1975 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1973 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1972 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1970 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1971 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1968 (resized).JPG
    858130df12416475a5cd5bb73602cfff.gif
    tumblr_9ee87d544743177d9d136917fe11e1a7_032c26e6_500 (resized).jpg
    A06C74E7-1674-4652-97BF-A32CD8B36436 (resized).jpeg
    177063FD-0BDF-4377-A2CC-D665EBC085D2 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20221229_131552_Chrome (resized).jpg
    DCA49D93-4F81-4ED0-AC63-6E4E2D811AEA (resized).jpeg
    B92C2451-B14B-436E-BC21-4B28458E8982 (resized).jpeg
    20140824142944833 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0662 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jhanley.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#175 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

So as an actual arcade owner I am going to offer a contrarian view here that is likely to get me lots of downvotes, but whatever.
    There is an old saying I recall “Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one”. The most ridiculously hard thing to do in this world is run a successful small business. Most fail.
    You know I can think of 1001 ways to improve my arcade. But guess what ? Most of those ideas while super awesome would drive me further into bankruptcy. I’ve got machines broken on the floor. More than a few lately. You think I am going to go hire a $50-75 an hour person to repair when I can barely make rent each month. Nope.
    I’m sorry but until you have actually run a small business, and specifically an arcade, trying to give Tim your business advice is abject worthless. Save your time. Guess what my advice would be: Tim keep doing what you are doing and ignore everyone because you’ve found what works for you and keeps you in business. That’s it, end of story.
    I know you all think you could manage his business better than he does. You also think you could coach your hometown football team better. You are wrong. You overestimate your talent. You have no ability to evaluate or manage whatever improvements you think you would make versus the costs incurred and the marginal return on investment. If you have run a business before you at least have heard of that term, but still probably don’t know how to evaluate in the context of running an arcade.
    For sure any business can be managed better. For sure some owners are their own worst enemies. Most of those who are have their business fail. Tim hasn’t.
    And guess what Tim likely feels about your patronage ? Nothing. Why ? Because you and your feelings as a pinhead are not what actually keeps him in business. It is every businessman or family going on TripAdvisor looking what they can do while in Vegas that keeps him in business. If he spent all his time trying to make you all happy he’d very likely go out of business. Why ? You all are low marginal return in investment, relative to his wider audience.
    And let me end with this. Do you think Tim enjoys looking at all his machines with out of order signs or having machines that don’t play well ? If you do you have rocks in your head. No arcade owner unless some corporate entity using it as a tax write off, wants their games playing crappy or filled with out of order signs. It is a necessary evil with most current modes of operation. Hiring people solves one problem and creates many others (payroll, workman’s comp, lawyers, job contracts, etc)
    You don’t like his business and the condition of his games, then don’t go. But don’t presume you have a damn clue telling him you know how to run it better and that he is just a stubborn, awful person.
    His business has stayed in business and that one fact alone is all that matters. Until you’ve done the same you have no terribly worthwhile advice to give, or very likely anything he hasn’t already heard of or thought about all by himself.
    Stepping off of soapbox

Very well said

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jhanley.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-hall-of-fame-is-running-out-of-money?tu=jhanley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.