Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,151 posts
  • 337 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 61 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

received_732303621409397 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1975 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1973 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1972 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1970 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1971 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1968 (resized).JPG
    858130df12416475a5cd5bb73602cfff.gif
    tumblr_9ee87d544743177d9d136917fe11e1a7_032c26e6_500 (resized).jpg
    A06C74E7-1674-4652-97BF-A32CD8B36436 (resized).jpeg
    177063FD-0BDF-4377-A2CC-D665EBC085D2 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20221229_131552_Chrome (resized).jpg
    DCA49D93-4F81-4ED0-AC63-6E4E2D811AEA (resized).jpeg
    B92C2451-B14B-436E-BC21-4B28458E8982 (resized).jpeg
    20140824142944833 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0662 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grantopia.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#109 3 years ago
    Quoted from Calfdemon:

That said, his business model worked pre-COVID.

Alot of business models worked pre-covid .

I think the problem this place and other arcades/barcades are going to run into is the perception that covid is going to be "over" anytime soon. In Ohio anyway, we have barely scratched the surface on vaccinating healthcare workers, let alone the general mass population. We can't get people to stay home or wear masks and are constantly passing our case rate on a daily basis. The point of this isn't to bring politics into it, but to illustrate that it is going to be a LONG time before the US gets back to a pre-covid world and "normal".

All the people pulling together and fund raising for people and showing support is obviously great and very generous, but I'm not sure it's going to be enough or sustainable to keep places afloat. I love Vegas, and I love location pinball, but I'm not in a hurry to get back to either until me and my family are vaccinated, which looks like is going to be a while.

#151 3 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Bottom line is Tim has been doing pretty darn good for over 50 years I really don't think he needs advice how to run an arcade.

Stern has been selling games pretty darn good for a few decades now too. Doesn't stop people from shouting half baked ideas at them and complaining about everything .

I feel like this thread is long derailed anyway but I don't think anyone is telling him how to run an arcade. I certainly don't have the time, energy, or ability to do what he does. I am however an arcade customer, and if I'm an arcade owner, I think the people that don't come to my business are the people I would want to understand the view of and listen to. This is what I think rubs people the wrong way. I get change is hard, but when you plug your ears and basically tell people to suck it up and deal with the attitude and broken games, etc. there's not much sympathy to offer in return. Some people find stuff like this and getting scolded by PBR charming or whatever, alot of people just find it confusing and go elsewhere.

Totally agree you can't please everyone, but I don't think the dismissive attitude does any favors here. I think at the end of the day people are just trying to offer their thoughts on what would make them want to come back. You want to run your business your way that's great, but you also have to be prepared to understand that it goes both ways and some people won't like it and find an alternative.

#154 3 years ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

Please let us know of any 700 pinball arcades open 7 days a week when you find them.

You can do the same. According to their site he has 152 games (inclusive of woodrails and EMs - and games that may or may not function). Open 7 days a week though, so you're 50% right, but so are most locations here though where we can play.

If you're trying to prove my point for me by ignoring all the comments and repeating "I won't change" though, well done.

#157 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

His business has stayed in business and that one fact alone is all that matters. Until you’ve done the same you have no terribly worthwhile advice to give, or very likely anything he hasn’t already heard of or thought about all by himself.

So does this sage advice of "staying in your lane" apply to playfield manufacturing too?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-playfield-preorders-are-meaningless?tu=pookycade

Game pricing?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-ever-wonder-why-bother-giving-pricing-advice-#post-4430341

Pinball manufacturing?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution?tu=pookycade

Just trying to understand when it's acceptable to give feedback as a consumer or not.

#160 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Touché.
    You think I have some other thought about my own advice above. Uh ... nope. It’s just as worthless. The hypocrisy you speak of is non existent.
    You have the right to complain, you have the right to suggest, you have the right to not shop there again, you have the right to go elsewhere, and you have the right to inform others.
    And you know what I would honestly tell most of those businesses and posts that you decided you were going to spend your time on to try to use against my position ? Ignore every last damn thing I’ve said. It’s worthless to their business survival.

Well points for self awareness I guess.

This discussion is pointless anyway. It's turned into people saying "I would like the PHoF more if the games weren't broke all the time" and the other half going "TIM ISN'T GOING TO PERSONALLY MASSAGE YOU AND WASH YOUR CAR AND INSTALL A WOOD FIRED PIZZA OVEN SO STOP ASKING" like the guy calling this a "crisis".

When I go to Vegas I'm there for maybe 2-3 days. It's not like I can casually stroll down the street whenever I want to play games there. I spend money to Uber there and back to my hotel and spend time I could be doing on other things. To get there and have all the games I was looking forward to playing broken is disappointing. If you want to consider that "telling someone how to run a business" then I can't help you overcome that mental wall people are putting up.

#163 3 years ago

Keeping 400 or 500 hundred vintage pinball machines running 7 days a week all year long is impossible. PLEASE be realistic with your expectations!

His website says he has 152 games.

They are thinking "I want PHOF machines to play like the games in my home collection" (or like new). Arcades were never that way - I have NEVER been to a public arcade that some machines didn't have issues.

I don't need them to play like they were just unboxed. I am talking about games totally down or major things not working like flippers not making ramps, not things like a minor switch not registering.

HOPEFULLY the new PHOF will have some improvements as far as getting machines repaired faster but instead of complaining about what isn't working try playing some of the hundreds of machines that are working well.

It sounds like the opposite will be true. New higher traffic location with more access for people to drop in. More wear and tear on the games and no plans to change the staffing model.

Anyway between the two of us we dropped a total of 11 quarters into 11 different machines and didn't find one machine that actually worked? Only about 1/2 the machine in the place were turned on and we tried most of them and never even got to play one fully working machine!

So are you going to continue to go back routinely like you suggest to us? Did you go fix them for free like you are proposing we do?

#164 3 years ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

There are several hundred coming from his home warehouse to the new place.
    It's not about 'change', it's about each place doing their own thing and whether it survives or not.
    Tim has literally ran arcades for over 40 years, what he does works for him.

That's fine then. Were going in circles. Hopefully it works out in the end.

#167 3 years ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

Agreed. If you get down to Florida post-covid pm me and I will treat you to pinball and beer.

Get me drunk and I'll give you all the hot pinball takes you can handle!

#195 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

All I ask is you listen to what people have to say, Tim. I completely understand many of the ideas aren't feasible or you just don't have the time to implement them.
    I get it. Most of us do.
    But please listen. Please don't be that guy who says he's been doing this his entire life and knows all there is to know.
    Just keep an open mind.

I think that's really all anyone providing feedback is asking.

Quoted from kst8cat:

You have quoted the website number of 152 games several times, but that is not accurate and is likely way out of date or incomplete.

Maybe, but it's what's published on their website. I know, I know, "it's been that way forever so don't ask for them to to change it now".

2 months later
    #771 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Thanks for that. Hopefully whoever is posting the facebook videos mirrors them to youtube. The goal is not to have to set foot on facebook at all, even as a visitor, since they are so abusive with not respecting privacy at all and trying to claw in every bit of information they can on non-facebook users also so they can monetize that.

Nothing like Google owned YouTube is doing, I'm sure .

#774 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Google is very bad, but Facebook is RIDICULOUS. I often say lately that Facebook and Google are the two most dangerous companies in the world. Facebook doing things like scraping data from phones with open bluetooth that happen to be in the VICINITY of a phone with Facebook INSTALLED (not running, installed) even if those phones owners aren't even ON facebook and Google hiding mics in their nest products disguised as capacitors or using Chrome to scrape any network a machine running it is connected to are really bad, but our lawmakers don't understand the threat to stop it.
    But if I have to pick one, I'd take Google over Facebook. But definitely a lesser of two evils thing.

Oh yeah, I don't disagree at all. My comment was more meant to be like "you're getting screwed regardless". I'm not a FB fan by any means, but even if you're not on there, someone you know is, so they've already got your data, it just took them more steps to get it, so not using them to watch a video isn't really protecting people from anything at this point.

Quoted from EJS:

I loaded some “new” copies of Windows 10 there is Soooo much stuff to turn off that would otherwise send feedback of your habits.
    If it plugs into the network now it’s a safe bet they are getting some sort of trending data. It’s just a matter of what you are willing to sacrifice from a privacy perspective.
    I use the Brave browser but that’s just the browser...

Not to mention the things you can't turn off, or you have to basically backdoor into the hardware to uninstall. But that's a whole different thread .

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grantopia.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-hall-of-fame-is-running-out-of-money?tu=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.