Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,151 posts
  • 337 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 61 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

received_732303621409397 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1975 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1973 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1972 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1970 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1971 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1968 (resized).JPG
    858130df12416475a5cd5bb73602cfff.gif
    tumblr_9ee87d544743177d9d136917fe11e1a7_032c26e6_500 (resized).jpg
    A06C74E7-1674-4652-97BF-A32CD8B36436 (resized).jpeg
    177063FD-0BDF-4377-A2CC-D665EBC085D2 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20221229_131552_Chrome (resized).jpg
    DCA49D93-4F81-4ED0-AC63-6E4E2D811AEA (resized).jpeg
    B92C2451-B14B-436E-BC21-4B28458E8982 (resized).jpeg
    20140824142944833 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0662 (resized).jpg
    There are 1,151 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 24.
    #201 3 years ago

We rescheduled Uncle Pinball's interview with Tim. We're going Thursday night.
    So you got time to post specific questions!

I have a few Tim stories too

Uncle Pinball

#202 3 years ago

My hat is off to Tim, I have respect for people who do it their way despite what others say. He reminds me of another Las Vegas legend who decided to take his own path in life.

#203 3 years ago

I’m donating. Been there a few times. I try to go every time I’m there. First time I was able to play some classics like mm and afm... then bought the remakes.

Find the Go-Fund-Me here: https://gofund.me/37f7e2b2

#204 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I think the PHOF is attractive to people who enjoy playing old EM's and woodrails, but for players that prefer modern era machines it is average. When I was there months back it seemed like a lot of machines were off (not for covid but for repairs). Half of the video games were down as well. I did really enjoy showing my children some of the rare machines like Goin Nuts and Pinball Circus. Someone posted a pic of a guy who just opened up an arcade bar I think in Tennessee and my jaw literally dropped. I was really impressed with the amount of pinball and video games in great shape. I want to copy his business model and bring it to Colorado.

I have been three times and solely for the EMs. Those of us who play and restore EMs are no different from DMD players. We want games that work. That play the way they are supposed to play.

I noticed a definite downward trend on the game upkeep over my visits. It's not just light bulbs or broken rubbers. It's broken targets, weak flippers and bumpers etc.

Upkeep on that many games is a huge deal and there's no way one guy can do it. I remember seeing it mentioned that guys volunteered to help out when they were in town and were turned down. I guess Tim wants to do it his way and that's fine but when you're drowning you can't be real particular about who throws you the life raft.

I don't expect the games there to play like mine do, that are fully restored and get my full attention every time they have a slight hiccup. It would be nice if they played reasonably well. After my last trip there I really doubted I would return due to the condition of the games.

I hope the place can survive and I am not averse to making a donation but I think there are some changes that need to be made regardless of current circumstances

#205 3 years ago

Donated for the move. The old location is a dump.

#206 3 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

We rescheduled Uncle Pinball's interview with Tim. We're going Thursday night.
    So you got time to post specific questions!
    I have a few Tim stories too
    Uncle Pinball

Cool. I'll try to think of some, but since I've never been to PHOF and I've only seen Tim in that one documentary, I'm not sure if I'll come up with anything!

#207 3 years ago

When I go to Vegas it’s not to play pinball

Sorry, no offense. I have plenty of pins at home

That said I donated to the cause

#208 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

My hat is off to Tim, I have respect for people who do it their way despite what others say. He reminds me of another Las Vegas legend who decided to take his own path in life.

Now there's a true legend. Always dressed to the Nines when performing, and perform he did.

He played at Bally's Las Vegas and Reno several times. He also was a spokesperson for Bally. Also a personal friend of the late, great Bill O'Donnell who made Bally into the largest manufacturer of coin operated amusement and slot machines.

#209 3 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

I have been three times and solely for the EMs. Those of us who play and restore EMs are no different from DMD players. We want games that work. That play the way they are supposed to play.

I noticed a definite downward trend on the game upkeep over my visits. It's not just light bulbs or broken rubbers. It's broken targets, weak flippers and bumpers etc.
    Upkeep on that many games is a huge deal and there's no way one guy can do it.

I remember seeing it mentioned that guys volunteered to help out when they were in town and were turned down.

We stopped in Vegas for a few days when making a cross country trip a few years ago and when I was talking to Tim I had the opposite experience. Not only was he interested in having me give him a hand if I could he even offered to have me stay in a mobile home he had behind the PHOF if I wanted to. At the time I had to "stay on schedule" to make it home for a wedding but I am sure Tim would love to get any help he can as long as he is sure the people offering know what they are doing.

I think you will likely see some major changes after the move because with the expansion of the place it will be humanly impossible for Tim to do everything. In my eyes he should add at least one "full time tech" but in the end Tim needs to do what is right for PHOF and for Tim.

Regardless of how things "play out" I am excited to see the move to a new custom built building and am hoping other positive changes will be coming as well. But before those changes can happen Tim needs to get the building paid for so he can get it finished & move in.

#210 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I was fortunate enough to see Frank on his last tour in Tampa Florida. He sounded great but his son/conductor had to help him out a bit with some stuff. I'd kill to go back in time to see him Dean and Sammy do their thing on the strip.

#211 3 years ago
    Quoted from timarnold:

I will also point out that at the risk of offending some of the people I asking for help from that when given a choice between a high quality product or service at a high price and a slightly stripped down product at a lower price, Americans almost always go for PRICE! Want a docent to take you around and give you a personal tour of the games? Sure, we could do that. At a dollar a game. Want to wander into a giant bare bones hard floor room full of machines and play for 25-50-75!

In a hobby where people regularly spend thousands for a game I don’t think we’re choosing based on price. I’d SO much rather spend $1 for a game that works as intended than $0.25 on one that doesn’t.

At $1 for a working game it’s a bargain because I get to play something I wouldn’t have been able to. At $0.25 and broken I get frustration and have no idea what that game was supposed to be (or could have been).

I hear your plight but do you hear ours?

#212 3 years ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

There are several hundred coming from his home warehouse to the new place.

This is interesting information. Several hundred games are coming from his home? He has a battleship or air craft carrier or something? Question: If you have several hundred games in your private collection-why not sell say 20 of those games to finish the build out of the new building? Once they open up it sounds like they will be just fine and can re-coop cost and begin to add games that they may have had to sell to finish the building?

#213 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

This is interesting information. Several hundred games are coming from his home? He has a battleship or air craft carrier or something?

Before he opened the PHOF, he was an operator who retired out to Vegas and built a huge warehouse out behind his modest bungalow. His original goal was to collect every Gottlieb title and I believe he succeeded.

I had the pleasure of visiting his warehouse back then and it was enormous, and also completely packed to the ceilings. He had over 1,000 back in the 90s.

If anything, 700 games on the floor is only a small part of his collection.

#214 3 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

700 games on the floor is only a small part of his collection

So I will ask again if you have 1000+ games why not sell some off to open the new building? I actually had the thought about those Disney injection mold novelty games sitting in the back collecting dust? (nothing to do with pinball). What about all the other non-working novelties sitting collecting dust? Seems like PHOF could purge a considerable amount of un-used equipment?

#215 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

This is interesting information. Several hundred games are coming from his home? He has a battleship or air craft carrier or something? Question: If you have several hundred games in your private collection-why not sell say 20 of those games to finish the build out of the new building? Once they open up it sounds like they will be just fine and can re-coop cost and begin to add games that they may have had to sell to finish the building?

They've already sold games to locals on craigslist, someone posted a link earlier in the thread.

#216 3 years ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

They've already sold games to locals on craigslist, someone posted a link earlier in the thread.

Sounds like they just sold a handful of games?(mainly duplicates?)

#217 3 years ago

As Tim has said in audio posted here, older video posted here, and clearly in several of his posts here, he's not asking for suggestions on making changes to how he does it. He's just looking for donations. People can be mad at him for not doing what they suggest all they want, it's not gonna change. You can visit PHOF as it is or not.

#218 3 years ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

He's not asking for suggestions on making changes to how he does it.

Sounds like he wants to pick the low lying fruit and ask for a Go fund me and claim a crisis is at hand to finish the new building instead of trying to dig deeper and sell some stuff off(especially stuff that is collecting dust and not pinball related). Having 1000+ games is mind-boggling to me-sell some off and then concentrate on having a collection that you can maintain properly. No sense filling the entire building with games if you really cannot maintain a full building of pinball machines. Again quality over quantity. Is Tim a Hoarder?(no offense intended)

#219 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

sell say 20 of those games to finish the build out of the new buildin

Great idea! Tims gofundme is looking for 200k, sell 20 old, partially working, crappy games for 10k each. Problem solved.

#220 3 years ago
    Quoted from no-extra-balls:

, sell 20 old, partially working, crappy games for 10k each. Problem solved.

Sorry but I feel if you own 1000+ games you could afford to sell some. Can't bullshit a bullshitter

#221 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

When I go to Vegas it’s not to play pinball
    Sorry, no offense. I have plenty of pins at home
    That said I donated to the cause

Nothing for anyone to be offended about. 99% of the people who go to Vegas are not going there to play pinball. But guess what? When they read the tourist guides of things to do, that's one of the places they end up. That thing is in every single hotel room in the Vegas area.

I go to Vegas every year in Sept to bet on Football and play 3 days of poker tournaments. Somehow, I always find 2 to 4 hours to spend at PHOF.

#222 3 years ago

Some pictures of his collection 20 years ago are here..
    https://www.flippers.be/tim_arnold.html

He has a huge hanger behind his house and has there almost every Gottlieb game ever made.
    Not sure if the 1000 nr is still correct - maybe he had so many but they're definitely all in working condition..

#223 3 years ago

Who other than Tim would give you this level of detail and transparency before asking you to help him out. Donation made. And rest assured things will be better the 2nd half of the year.

#224 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

This is interesting information. Several hundred games are coming from his home? He has a battleship or air craft carrier or something?

Wait... you've had a dozen plus posts in this thread being critical about the sustainability or practice of Tim.. and you don't even know the premise and history of this place??? da faq??

Do yourself a favor - step away from this thread until you've caught up. You can listen to the old TOPcast interview as a good start - http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/showget.php?id=51

And then watch this presentation for kind of an 'update' of where they were afterwards

Then read Tim's description/updates here. You'll see Tim is already expanding their scope a good bit vs their traditional laser focus on operating pins and NOTHING else. You'll hear Tim mention time and time again what he sees as the evils/mistakes of others for not staying on target.

Listen to those sessions... respect how far they have come and what they've accomplished... then consider maybe they aren't as dense as many armchair QBs think.

#225 3 years ago

What is the name of the entity? I went to guidestar to try and find it and couldn't locate it?

#226 3 years ago

https://www.guidestar.org/profile/26-0060884

Las Vegas Pinball Collectors Club (which is what the thank you from gofundme said....)

#227 3 years ago

I do understand why he runs his business the way he does but it does make it hard to go there. It is completely tailored to pin heads that just want to go and play. I'm never in Vegas alone, and it's the same situation every time. Hey how about we hit the PHOF. Sounds cool, we can grab lunch have a few beers and check it out. There is no food, there is no beer, there is only pinball. Ah... never mind how about you go and catch up with us later. There are places I am happy to turn my wife loose in the spa for an afternoon but Vegas is not one of them.

#228 3 years ago
    Quoted from aeneas:

Some pictures of his collection 20 years ago are here..
    https://www.flippers.be/tim_arnold.html
    He has a huge hanger behind his house and has there almost every Gottlieb game ever made.
    Not sure if the 1000 nr is still correct - maybe he had so many but they're definitely all in working condition..

Thanks! Nice pics aeneas!
    I visited first time in 2010 and I always believed phof was already there way longerthan since 2006. Hope to visit once more! Great work and inspiration for the hobby!

#229 3 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

https://www.guidestar.org/profile/26-0060884
    Las Vegas Pinball Collectors Club (which is what the thank you from gofundme said....)

Dang, still no Indoor Tanning services.... Maybe someday at the new location.

Note that I am NOT suggesting this. It's only because of the ridiculous line on IRS Form 990.

#230 3 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I do understand why he runs his business the way he does but it does make it hard to go there. It is completely tailored to pin heads that just want to go and play. I'm never in Vegas alone, and it's the same situation every time. Hey how about we hit the PHOF. Sounds cool, we can grab lunch have a few beers and check it out. There is no food, there is no beer, there is only pinball. Ah... never mind how about you go and catch up with us later. There are places I am happy to turn my wife loose in the spa for an afternoon but Vegas is not one of them.

The 7-11 500 ft down the road from the current location sells tall boys of Corona 2 for $3, along with a bunch of other beers. Vegas doesn't have "open container" laws, so you can walk down the street and chug them on the short walk back. Just don't litter.

While not the gastro-pub atmosphere some people are looking for, chugging beers walking down the street while housing some cheese drowned nachos doesn't even garner a second glance from anyone, especially in that area of town. Perhaps Vegas as a whole?

#231 3 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

The 7-11 500 ft down the road from the current location sells tall boys of Corona 2 for $3, along with a bunch of other beers. Vegas doesn't have "open container" laws, so you can walk down the street and chug them on the short walk back. Just don't litter.

Isn't that half the fun of Vegas? There's a Duane Reed, CVS, or convenience store every block so you can just walk down the strip slugging beers until you get to your destination. You can practically drink a 6-pack in stride between the Wynn and MGM without skipping a beat.

#232 3 years ago

Correction-Open container in public is only legal in resort corridor. Out here on Trop it is NOT legal.

Explanation- The line on the tax return about indoor tanning services is there because of a doom loop the IRS has in the main form 990. You have to say yes or no to the question "Do you offer indoor tanning services?" If you say no, it required an explanation on the Schedule E

#233 3 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

While not the gastro-pub atmosphere some people are looking for, chugging beers walking down the street while housing some cheese drowned nachos doesn't even garner a second glance from anyone, especially in that area of town. Perhaps Vegas as a whole?

That is exactly the point. I'm not in Vegas for a stag with a bunch of 20 year old guys. Telling people we can chug a few beers from 7-11 on the street corner is not making anyone change their mind about coming along. The PHOF has nothing to make it tolerable to someone that is not hardcore into pinball. If I was in Vegas alone I would go but there is just so much to do in Vegas and basically all of them are designed to be fun for newbies and groups. At least a dive barcade usually has some food a TV with the game on. People can socialize a little if there not in to pinball.

#234 3 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

I noticed a definite downward trend on the game upkeep over my visits.

I really hope the new service area will help with this issue. Hopefully they can develop a system of pulling off non-working games and carting in a freshly repaired game to take it's place.

Quoted from Darscot:

The PHOF has nothing to make it tolerable to someone that is not hardcore into pinball.

I disagree. I'd wager that most of the complaints come from those who are really into pinball. Every single time I've brought someone new they have a blast. They don't care if some random target in the game isn't working or the flippers are a little weak. Granted they are not going to be spending all day at the arcade. They will enjoy playing for an hour or two before moving on to other attractions.

#235 3 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I disagree. I'd wager that most of the complaints come from "hardcore" players. Every single time I've brought someone new to pinball they have a blast. They don't care if some random target in the game isn't working. They just have fun.

If you are into pinball it's great, if your not it has nothing to offer. If someone is new to pinball sure they would love it. I'm not saying it isn't great for people that enjoy pinball. I'm just saying it's not ideal if there are people in your group that are not into pinball. Almost ever activity in Vegas has a viewing deck, snack bar, lounge, gift shop. Something that can keep the people in a group occupied that are not really interested in the activity.

#236 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Sounds like he wants to pick the low lying fruit and ask for a Go fund me and claim a crisis is at hand to finish the new building instead of trying to dig deeper and sell some stuff off(especially stuff that is collecting dust and not pinball related). Having 1000+ games is mind-boggling to me-sell some off and then concentrate on having a collection that you can maintain properly. No sense filling the entire building with games if you really cannot maintain a full building of pinball machines. Again quality over quantity. Is Tim a Hoarder?(no offense intended)

Good lord, people. Have you stopped to think about the fact that, rathering than banking all of his profits for himself, this man has donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to charity? If you, yourself, don't want to help him out during the middle of a catastrophic pandemic... don't do it. If there's another place you want to send your money, send it there. But, why waste your time by assasinating his intelligence, character, and intentions.

Really poor taste, IMO

#237 3 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

If you are into pinball it's great, if your not it has nothing to offer. If someone is new to pinball sure they would love it. I'm not saying it isn't great for people that enjoy pinball. I'm just saying it's not ideal if there are people in your group that are not into pinball. Almost ever activity in Vegas has a viewing deck, snack bar, lounge, gift shop. Something that can keep the people in a group occupied that are not really interested in the activity.

We may just have to agree to disagree. If individuals have a strong negative opinion of pinball and other coin-op then they probably shouldn't go to the Pinball Hall of Fame, period. I've brought a bunch of people that aren't into pinball at all, and they have always had a great time despite not having a snack bar, lounge, or gift shop. I typically bring people just after lunch, so not having food or drinks has never been an issue. We play for an hour or two and then the group will head back to the resort for some naps or pool time before enjoying the Las Vegas nightlife. If I'm having a real good time, I might stay for some bonus flips before rejoining the group. The most frequent comments are being pleasantly surprised that they can actually play all the games. I think the name "museum" makes people think it's going to be a display behind glass, which with pinball it kind of still is behind glass, just not in the way they were expecting.

#238 3 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

We may just have to agree to disagree. If individuals have a strong negative opinion of pinball and other coin-op then they probably shouldn't go to the Pinball Hall of Fame, period. I've brought a bunch of people that aren't into pinball at all, and they have always had a great time despite not having a snack bar, lounge, or gift shop. I typically bring people just after lunch, so not having food or drinks has never been an issue. We play for an hour or two and then the group will head back to the resort for some naps or pool time before enjoying the Las Vegas nightlife. If I'm having a real good time, I might stay for some bonus flips before rejoining the group. The most frequent comments are being pleasantly surprised that they can actually play all the games. I think the name "museum" makes people think it's going to be a display behind glass, which with pinball it kind of still is behind glass, just not in the way they were expecting.

That is the weird thing. We can both be right, there is nothing to disagree about. As you stated its for pinball and if your don't like that don't come, period. That is my exact point. You are disagreeing with me by agreeing with me and stating the identical point. It's great that it works for you and your group. Sadly for me that makes it hard for me to go there as often as I like. With the new location being closer it will probably be easier for me to get away and go alone but I did hope the new iteration might modernize a little. It's reputation of take it the way it is or piss off is justified and very well known.

#239 3 years ago

Fair enough, I'm probably just caught up in semantics at this point. I was under the impression that you were stating that you had to be "hardcore into pinball" to enjoy the Pinball Hall of Fame. I do not agree with that statement, but I would agree that they aren't doing anything to attract those that dislike pinball.

#240 3 years ago

Tim, I'm a local and have already donated, but will gladly donate again. I plan on heading over to drop some coin in the next week, and will make sure to drop off another donation while I'm there.

-JP

Quoted from timarnold:

As many of you know, The PHOF bought a vacant lot on the Strip in Las Vegas a couple years ago and planned a NEW 27,000 Sq. Ft. Building. All this was done with the greatest of caution. WE had MOST of the money for the building UP FRONT from years of saving, scrapping and selling the building we owned on Tropicana. The total price of the LAND, BUILDING and a huge new SIGN was 10 million dollars. We thought that it was realistic to expect our existing operations would generate about what they had before we committed to this project, but since then THE WORLD HAS CHANGED!
    Covid has wrecked our finances! We were SHUT DOWN for 12 weeks starting in March. We reopened to only about 30 percent of the traffic we had the year before. Locals were hunkered in their bunkers and tourists were just plain staying home. NO weekend trippers from LA. NO tradeshows at the Convention Center. NO foreign guys traveling Route 66 on a Harley.
    Total in lost revenue for 2020 over 2019 is $500,000.00
    We tried to stay optimistic, thinking that this would pass quickly and we could get back to prior years income, but it has not happened. We had borrowed 1.7 Million before the Covid hit, which with CASH ON HAND, and EXPECTED INCOME left us with a nice cushion to finish.
    But we are facing a crisis. We are rapidly running out of the money we set aside to get the job done. We are also facing a deadline to vacate the old building on Trop by MAY 5th. After that date, we have no legal right to stay there. The new owners, "The Car Wash Guys" might let us stay, nut they could ask a huge price and we would have to pay or go.
    AS of Jan 1st, the building is 92 percent done. But payment is lagging by 30 days. Figure 350K by the time the contractor is done. We also have to pay for the second half of the sign at some point in the near future. That's going be 270K sometime this summer. Then there is the low voltage, fire and camera items that were NOT part of the contract with the builder. Figure 100 K for that.
    SO what to do? We can't STOP construction. That would force the games on Trop literally out on the street. We have to find a way to pay to finish. The builder is dead serious about "He wants get paid". No slack at all there. We also have a refundable bond with the County for 130K that will come back to us when the building is done.
    Or we could borrow more money. But again, at what cost.
    So the board of Directors sat down over a sack of In n Out burgers and brainstormed. What we came up with is the MASSIVE amount of people who like us. Customer goodwill is all over this project. I spend a large part of every day talking to people who came a very long way to arrive here, and they all say the same thing..... "WE love this place"
    A GoFundME campaign cost very little in time or fees, and allows those who want to help to do so. If you have been thinking of us in the past and smiled, how about a tax deductible donation? I am not asking for money you need to live day to day. But if you have a little extra, push the give button.
    I will also promise that we will not change the way we operate here. We will still be the same old low rent, penny pinching, stripped down and simple operation we have always been. No payroll. No advertising. No company cars, no trade conferences in luxury locations. Just what we have always been, THE LAST REAL ARCADE IN AMERICA!
    I also want to state that we have been trying very hard to raise funds in other ways, not just asking the Pinhead community. We have sold over 20 machines all rebuilt for top dollar that were donated by myself and others. We have even taken on a few outside jobs for cash. We have also stopped helping our charitable partners, something I am looking forward to doing again as soon as we open.
    Please also realize that while we have bought a few new games to keep our local customers coming back, we have for the first time passed on many new offerings from Sturn and Gurnsey Joe. Sprinkling in a few Pro games keeps the show new for the folks who live right here is prudent. We have in the past supported anyone stupid enough to try and build something in America, and we will get back to that soon as well.
    If you want to make a large contribution, or if you have any other ideas, please contact me directly at [email protected]

#241 3 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Not sure why people keep thinking Tim needs suggestions on how to run the most profitable arcade in the world.
    The current cash flow issue is due to that pesky global pandemic. He doesn’t need armchair quarterbacks who have never run anything telling him what to do.
    I do wish he’d spend some of those massive profits on paying techs to keep the games up, but no one can deny his formula works. It does. So save your ideas and instead, drop a few coins in the donation box.

Scolds people for suggesting changes on how he should run his business.

Gives suggestions on how to run his business lol.

#242 3 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Scolds people for suggesting changes on how he should run his business.
    Gives suggestions on how to run his business lol.

Again - put yourself into Tim's shoes. He wakes up everyday and works all day for free typically giving close to (or over) a half a million dollars a year to charity. He is always behind - has a ton of machines to fix and all other aspects of a business to run. He really doesn't have time to sit around hearing (or reading) about how he should change things and why.

When any of us get to the point we are doing as much for charity as he is I am sure he would gladly sit down and hear ideas but for now he just needs a little help getting the final money it is going to take to get the new place open.

Quoted from pinmister:

Sorry but I feel if you own 1000+ games you could afford to sell some. Can't bullshit a bullshitter

So a guy who has already done more than anyone else in the hobby to help both the hobby & charity should donate more of his personal stuff to PHOF. It isn't enough that the majority of the machines in PHOF were already donated by him and that he also works every day for free - you think he should be doing more instead of asking a few other people to step up and give a little?

#243 3 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Again - put yourself into Tim's shoes. He wakes up everyday and works all day for free typically giving close to (or over) a half a million dollars a year to charity. He is always behind - has a ton of machines to fix and all other aspects of a business to run. He really doesn't have time to sit around hearing (or reading) about how he should change things and why.
    When any of us get to the point we are doing as much for charity as he is I am sure he would gladly sit down and hear ideas but for now he just needs a little help getting the final money it is going to take to get the new place open.

So a guy who has already done more than anyone else in the hobby to help both the hobby & charity should donate more of his personal stuff to PHOF. It isn't enough that the majority of the machines in PHOF were already donated by him and that he also works every day for free - you think he should be doing more instead of asking a few other people to step up and give a little?

I was simply replying to the person I quoted, as it seemed hypocritical. I have no desire to run something like this. I do have some ideas like others, but even ideas from a consumer dont seem to go over well.

Been to PHOF a few times, will be back and will donate.

#244 3 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

We stopped in Vegas for a few days when making a cross country trip a few years ago and when I was talking to Tim I had the opposite experience. Not only was he interested in having me give him a hand if I could he even offered to have me stay in a mobile home he had behind the PHOF if I wanted to. At the time I had to "stay on schedule" to make it home for a wedding but I am sure Tim would love to get any help he can as long as he is sure the people offering know what they are doing.
    I think you will likely see some major changes after the move because with the expansion of the place it will be humanly impossible for Tim to do everything. In my eyes he should add at least one "full time tech" but in the end Tim needs to do what is right for PHOF and for Tim.
    Regardless of how things "play out" I am excited to see the move to a new custom built building and am hoping other positive changes will be coming as well. But before those changes can happen Tim needs to get the building paid for so he can get it finished & move in.

This is entirely true. By definition if one is going to expand to 3X the size with 3X the number of machines, one needs 3X the prior labor force just to keep status quo. I think any required change will be likely embraced out of simple necessity more than anything.

#245 3 years ago

Tim my first memory of Pinball greatness was at the PHOF - just started getting into it had read a few collector books and was amazed to play some rare ones. I really wanted to play going nuts but the game was removed for a coil issue, the working tech showed me the game, and said if your around in 7 days come back we will have it up, I can get it to the front of the line. It was my last day, but something I won't forget. I went to 2 of your locations and will make it to your third. donated!

#246 3 years ago

I enjoyed the time I visited the PHOF. I was just getting into pinball and got a chance to play many games that I had read about that weren't available locally. There was only one or two games I had hoped to play that were not working.

After reading about the current construction schedule, I'm worried that I may next visit may be right when the old location is being closed and the new location hasn't opened. I'm going to be there the 4/18 to 4/21. It'll be too bad if I miss it but it's not the last time I plan on going to LV.

I'm not big on paying fees to go fund me so I just wrote a check and dropped it in the mail. The PHOF will get 100% of my donation. It's certainly not as convenient as going to a website and putting it on a credit card but it works for me.

#247 3 years ago

I was new to the hobby when Tim graciously invited my wife and I to his house to see the collection in the tin shed. We were able to see both PHOF locations on separate trips prior to them being open to the public. Tim has been nothing but courteous, respectful, and funny during our encounters. We look forward to seeing the new location once we get to the other side of COVID. It will be easier to visit now as the new location is 10 minutes from home. Donation sent.

#248 3 years ago

The idea to move the PHoF was simply a bad business decision. Even before the pandemic... An arcade business with no marketing plan, maintenance issues, poor customer service and a rapidly declining customer base is a recipe for failure. And Tim wants to move all of this to a new multi-million dollar building on South Las Vegas Blvd? Add Tim's ultra-hostile attitude towards his customers and the PHoF probably won't survive for long.

Donations??? The pinball community has graciously donated to the PHoF project for over 25 years. The result was a great home for the PHoF on Tropicana Ave. Now Tim wants more donations to move the PHoF and to help with his financial SNAFU??? No, thank you.

#249 3 years ago

I have read through many of these posts with interest.

People seem not to be able to separate the Pinball Hall of Fame from Tim and the link to Las Vegas Pinball Collectors Club in the Go Fund Me.

Las Vegas Pinball Collectors Club Is listed as a non- profit in NV and it shows it’s history on the Pinball Hall of Fame website.

All non profits are required to have a Board of Directors with specific Officers. Non profits are created to benefit the public.

That means the Board , not Tim , defines the vision and make the monitory choices by Board vote.

No Board Member can take money from a Non Profit - it’s called inurement.

I am guessing, as I don’t see it clearly defined that Las Vegas Pinball Collectors Club is running the Pinball Hall of Fame and that Tim is lending or renting the machines to them.

#250 3 years ago
    Quoted from fredsmythson:

The idea to move the PHoF was simply a bad business decision. Even before the pandemic... An arcade business with no marketing plan, maintenance issues, poor customer service and a rapidly declining customer base is a recipe for failure. And Tim wants to move all of this to a new multi-million dollar building on South Las Vegas Blvd? Add Tim's ultra-hostile attitude towards his customers and the PHoF probably won't survive for long.
    Donations??? The pinball community has graciously donated to the PHoF project for over 25 years. The result was a great home for the PHoF on Tropicana Ave. Now Tim wants more donations to move the PHoF and to help with his financial SNAFU??? No, thank you.

Looks like we can't count on a donation from you, eh?

There are 1,151 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-hall-of-fame-is-running-out-of-money/page/5?hl=lazysunbather and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.