Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,151 posts
  • 337 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 61 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

received_732303621409397 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1975 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1973 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1972 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1970 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1971 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1968 (resized).JPG
    858130df12416475a5cd5bb73602cfff.gif
    tumblr_9ee87d544743177d9d136917fe11e1a7_032c26e6_500 (resized).jpg
    A06C74E7-1674-4652-97BF-A32CD8B36436 (resized).jpeg
    177063FD-0BDF-4377-A2CC-D665EBC085D2 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20221229_131552_Chrome (resized).jpg
    DCA49D93-4F81-4ED0-AC63-6E4E2D811AEA (resized).jpeg
    B92C2451-B14B-436E-BC21-4B28458E8982 (resized).jpeg
    20140824142944833 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0662 (resized).jpg
    There are 1,151 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 24.
    #751 3 years ago
    Quoted from emguy:

..and allow me to make one more point while I am riled up about people's judgey (is that a word?) attitude.
    You may not have thought about this, but the amazing thing Tim is doing, WHICH LIKELY NONE OF YOU CRITICIZERS ARE DOING, is he is re-directing funds that individuals spend on ENTERTAINMENT, and channelling those funds to PUBLIC SERVICE. Who thinks to do that? Tim wants to help others, and instead of opening a charity and continually asking for donations, instead he provides a venue to entertain the "donors", and then gives away the profits to charity! I would guess that most patrons of the PHoF don't even realize they are helping a fellow human being in need by playing a game of pinball.
    Seriously, have you not seen the checks he's posted before, about how much money is going to the Salvation Army? Talk about accountable! Tim was posting the monthly donation checks for years. And do you not know that the reason the PHoF donates to the Salvation Army is because the PHoF has done their research, and determined that this one charity does the most good for those in need with the funds donated to them?
    Who else among us can claim to have helped those in need to the level that Tim has over these past years? Probably not many, if any, of us. So please don't throw rocks at the one guy that is being the most effective among us in serving his fellow man. Instead, let's thank him, and support the efforts of the person getting it done.
    Well done, Tim Arnold, and well done, Pinball Hall of Fame !!!

I would have liked to be that donor. But I do not have extra money for that but I like that a donor stepped in though.
    The needs and expenses will be many and I wish the hall of fame all the continued success. I hope to drop quarters soon.

#752 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I would have no problemo
    making peace with that cashflow.

I’d have no problemo either if it paid $1700 a month. Stick as many as you want on my front yard!

#753 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I would have no problemo

Quoted from russdx:

Sorta want to stick one on my house now..

Quoted from Electrocute:

I’d have no problemo either if it paid $1700 a month. Stick as many as you want on my front yard!

Location, Location, Location......

#754 3 years ago

Big pink elephant on the roof!

#755 3 years ago
    Quoted from timarnold:

Load in has started. Tony and I have done 6 truck loads of stuff in the first 2 days. Final inspections and sign offs are this coming week. If there are no problems, then we are free to close old location and open at new as soon as Business license transfers us.

so, soft open later this month - never a doubt.

Quoted from timarnold:

It does pay us 1700 dollars a month, which makes it a big financial benefit.

$1700 x 12 months = $20,400
    2% of sales in a typical $1M+ revenue year.

Quoted from pinwiztom:

I would have no problemo

even an off year like 2020 at $500K+ still looks good.

Quoted from Azmodeus:

The needs and expenses will be many

the out of pocket/cash expenses for the PHOF, historically, been ridiculously low - coming in at around 10% of revenues. they are a venerable 'cash cow', retaining ~90c on the dollar.

due in part to its longevity and non-profit status, the PHOF business model enjoys:

1] no debt service on their machines,
    ... since the collection is paid for
    2] a volunteer staff drawing no salaries,
    ... including an architect and technician
    3] at trop location, no rent. the building was paid for
    4] at strip location, 80%+ of the building is paid for. the interest on the remaining debt equates to 'rent' of approx 25c sq ft
    4] no property taxes on their real estate holdings
    5] no income taxes

earlier in this thread, people were admonishing others for telling tim how to run his business. but in all seriousness, what advice would you need to give him other than "be sure to pay the electric bill".

in fact, if the PHOF had to close [as they did for 12 weeks in 2020], their out of pocket expenses would be close to ZERO. they are much better positioned to weather a storm compared with a less fortunate for-profit that might have recurring out of pocket expenses such as debt service on their expensive modern machines, salaries/wagers, payroll tax, rent/property tax, and income taxes.
    phof cash flows (resized).jpgphof cash flows (resized).jpg

#756 3 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

artist rendering of the new PHOF signage

Thanks for posting that pic - the billboard darned near becomes invisible in comparison to the PHOF's fully decked out street scene. (but lets not share that viewpoint with the signatory on the $1700 check)

Quoted from timarnold:

We have NO say on what is advertised on it.

If you rented it you could say what goes on it. But I doubt it could draw in even 1 customer that wouldn't have already seen your street scene!

-Rob
    -visit https://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#757 3 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:so, soft open later this month - never a doubt.

$1700 x 12 months = $20,400
    2% of sales in a typical $1M+ revenue year.

even an off year like 2020 at $500K+ still looks good.

the out of pocket/cash expenses for the PHOF, historically, been ridiculously low - coming in at around 10% of revenues. they are a venerable 'cash cow', retaining ~90c on the dollar.
    due in part to its longevity and non-profit status, the PHOF business model enjoys:
    1] no debt service on their machines,
    ... since the collection is paid for
    2] a volunteer staff drawing no salaries,
    ... including an architect and technician
    3] at trop location, no rent. the building was paid for
    4] at strip location, 80%+ of the building is paid for. the interest on the remaining debt equates to 'rent' of approx 25c sq ft
    4] no property taxes on their real estate holdings
    5] no income taxes
    earlier in this thread, people were admonishing others for telling tim how to run his business. but in all seriousness, what advice would you need to give him other than "be sure to pay the electric bill".
    in fact, if the PHOF had to close [as they did for 12 weeks in 2020], their out of pocket expenses would be close to ZERO. they are much better positioned to weather a storm compared with a less fortunate for-profit that might have recurring out of pocket expenses such as debt service on their expensive modern machines, salaries/wagers, payroll tax, rent/property tax, and income taxes.
    [quoted image]

So the charitable donations are BS compared to cash flows? Is that extra money possibly going into the new building?

1 week later
    #758 3 years ago

The dude at Vital Vegas blog posted an update on the move to the new location.

https://vitalvegas.com/pinball-hall-of-fame-begins-move-into-new-strip-location/

#759 3 years ago
    Quoted from mwiz:

The dude at Vital Vegas blog posted an update on the move to the new location.
    https://vitalvegas.com/pinball-hall-of-fame-begins-move-into-new-strip-location/

Ha, that building mockup;
    PINBALL - so much cheaper than having a girlfriend.

1 week later
    #760 3 years ago

No activity at PHoF this past Sunday as I was in the area. However, Tim's brother Tom, who owns the Pinball Pete's in East Lansing and Ann Arbor was Ill and then died this past Monday so I'm sure that is affecting the PHoF move.

20210321_094247 (resized).jpg20210321_094247 (resized).jpg20210321_094803 (resized).jpg20210321_094803 (resized).jpg20210321_094420 (1) (resized).jpg20210321_094420 (1) (resized).jpg20210321_094532 (resized).jpg20210321_094532 (resized).jpg20210321_094557 (resized).jpg20210321_094557 (resized).jpg
    #761 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

No activity at PHoF this past Sunday as I was in the area. However, Tim's brother Tom, who owns the Pinball Pete's in East Lansing and Ann Arbor was Ill and then died this past Monday so I'm sure that is affecting the PHoF move.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you for the update.
    Sorry to hear about Tom, and Tim's loss.

#762 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Tim's brother Tom, who owns the Pinball Pete's in East Lansing and Ann Arbor was Ill and then died this past Monday

Well, that's terrible. COVID or something else?

#763 3 years ago

Sorry for your loss Tim. We have had a lot of this sort of thing in our family this year already, some of which, were totally unexpected.

#764 3 years ago

Sorry to hear it Tim!

#765 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Tim's brother Tom, who owns the Pinball Pete's in East Lansing and Ann Arbor was Ill and then died this past Monday so I'm sure that is affecting the PHoF move.

Wonder how this will effect those venues in MI. Hope they can continue like Marvin's has.

#766 3 years ago

Sorry for your loss Tim.

#768 3 years ago

I really wish they'd at least duplicate their videos on youtube for the people that haven't lost their minds.

#769 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I really wish they'd at least duplicate their videos on youtube for the people that haven't lost their minds.

This link worked for me:

https://www.facebook.com/pinballhalloffame/videos/139880024718777

#770 3 years ago

Thanks for that. Hopefully whoever is posting the facebook videos mirrors them to youtube. The goal is not to have to set foot on facebook at all, even as a visitor, since they are so abusive with not respecting privacy at all and trying to claw in every bit of information they can on non-facebook users also so they can monetize that.

#771 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Thanks for that. Hopefully whoever is posting the facebook videos mirrors them to youtube. The goal is not to have to set foot on facebook at all, even as a visitor, since they are so abusive with not respecting privacy at all and trying to claw in every bit of information they can on non-facebook users also so they can monetize that.

Nothing like Google owned YouTube is doing, I'm sure .

#772 3 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I loaded some “new” copies of Windows 10 there is Soooo much stuff to turn off that would otherwise send feedback of your habits.

If it plugs into the network now it’s a safe bet they are getting some sort of trending data. It’s just a matter of what you are willing to sacrifice from a privacy perspective.

I use the Brave browser but that’s just the browser...

#773 3 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Google is very bad, but Facebook is RIDICULOUS. I often say lately that Facebook and Google are the two most dangerous companies in the world. Facebook doing things like scraping data from phones with open bluetooth that happen to be in the VICINITY of a phone with Facebook INSTALLED (not running, installed) even if those phones owners aren't even ON facebook and Google hiding mics in their nest products disguised as capacitors or using Chrome to scrape any network a machine running it is connected to are really bad, but our lawmakers don't understand the threat to stop it.

But if I have to pick one, I'd take Google over Facebook. But definitely a lesser of two evils thing.

#774 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Google is very bad, but Facebook is RIDICULOUS. I often say lately that Facebook and Google are the two most dangerous companies in the world. Facebook doing things like scraping data from phones with open bluetooth that happen to be in the VICINITY of a phone with Facebook INSTALLED (not running, installed) even if those phones owners aren't even ON facebook and Google hiding mics in their nest products disguised as capacitors or using Chrome to scrape any network a machine running it is connected to are really bad, but our lawmakers don't understand the threat to stop it.
    But if I have to pick one, I'd take Google over Facebook. But definitely a lesser of two evils thing.

Oh yeah, I don't disagree at all. My comment was more meant to be like "you're getting screwed regardless". I'm not a FB fan by any means, but even if you're not on there, someone you know is, so they've already got your data, it just took them more steps to get it, so not using them to watch a video isn't really protecting people from anything at this point.

Quoted from EJS:

I loaded some “new” copies of Windows 10 there is Soooo much stuff to turn off that would otherwise send feedback of your habits.
    If it plugs into the network now it’s a safe bet they are getting some sort of trending data. It’s just a matter of what you are willing to sacrifice from a privacy perspective.
    I use the Brave browser but that’s just the browser...

Not to mention the things you can't turn off, or you have to basically backdoor into the hardware to uninstall. But that's a whole different thread .

#775 3 years ago

Moderator's comment:

Privacy concerns regarding big-name corporations are a bit off-topic here. Please try to keep things related to the PHOF. Thanks

#776 3 years ago

Here’s the video. You’re welcome.

#777 3 years ago
    Quoted from AnimeDude892:

Here’s the video. You’re welcome.

Great work! You are deputized to the official PBHoF video mirror-er. Thanks!

deputy-badge-pinside (resized).jpgdeputy-badge-pinside (resized).jpg
    #778 3 years ago

170k raised, that is pretty cool. That is a lot of $$$

#779 3 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

170k raised, that is pretty cool. That is a lot of $$$

Over a quarter million if you count the one big donor who stepped up in a big way a few weeks ago. But Tim still has debt and bills to pay so any donation will still help. I would love to see the go fund me hit his $200K goal. That would be a nice thank you from the pinball community to Tim for all the years he has worked for free doing this for everyone to enjoy.

#780 3 years ago

I was in Vegas last week and visited the PHOF and it was PACKED, I mean the fullest I have ever seen it, couldn’t hardly walk around. I’m hoping Tim is racking it in. I know I dropped $100+ playing games. I drove past the new building, it’s going to be INCREDIBLE!

#781 3 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

I was in Vegas last week and visited the PHOF and it was PACKED, I mean the fullest I have ever seen it, couldn’t hardly walk around. I’m hoping Tim is racking it in. I know I dropped $100+ playing games. I drove past the new building, it’s going to be INCREDIBLE!

Once it is open I think the new place is going to be a huge success & Tim should be out of debt in no time at all. Pretty amazing what a guy who started an arcade right after he got out of High School has be able to accomplish with a little help from some good friends. But it is even more amazing how much of his life Tim has devoted to "giving back". Can you imagine what a different place the world would be if everyone just stepped up and gave a little of themself. HATS OFF to Tim & everyone who has helped PHOF over the years!

1 week later
    #782 3 years ago

Has anyone heard anything about a soft opening for supporter?

#783 3 years ago

Didn't see the outage until it was almost over; I was in Vegas playing pinball, sneaking up on Tim at the new place, driving construction equipment, see ing Carrot Top.... that kind of shit.

Looks like most of Uncle Pinball's People noticed #78 dropped a couple three days ago! Yay for you!
    Anyway, for the rest of you, Uncle Pinball has an update on the PHOF move and a little sneak peek at the new place!

https://unclepinball.buzzsprout.com/

More soon. They're having some issues with the county inspectors, and I guess it's just a waiting game now. Uncle Pinball will keep you in the loop!

#785 3 years ago
    PXL_20210404_225835105_2 (resized).jpgPXL_20210404_225835105_2 (resized).jpgPXL_20210404_230313425_2 (resized).jpgPXL_20210404_230313425_2 (resized).jpgPXL_20210404_230317149.MP_2 (resized).jpgPXL_20210404_230317149.MP_2 (resized).jpg
    #786 3 years ago

I was in Vegas and stopped in over the last weekend and made my donation in person by dumping money into the games. As soon as this insane hysteria is over I will be back out to do so again.

#787 3 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I have BAF's all over my work. They move a massive volume of air at very low speeds comparatively.

#788 3 years ago

I want a mancave large enough for one of those BigAss fans!

#789 3 years ago

Tim here with a long overdue update!

Have been spending most of our time over at the new place getting half the machines from Trop set up and bringing many truckloads from storage and getting them all set up on legs and tested. A lot of the machines from storage need rubbers and lubrication, so there will be more than a usual amount of down machines when we open, but that was expected.

there have been MORE delays in getting the final Certificate of Occupancy, which will allows us to shut the operation on Trop and open over there. I am really hoping that we got the final piece of the puzzle on Friday, when the Dept. of FIRE SAFTETY passed us on a final inspection. Do not confuse this with the FIRE DEPARTMENT, which gave our sprinkler and alarms a pass a week and a half ago. I will be in the Business License office first thing Monday morning, and if there are no more hidden whammys, we will get the License and soft open 24 to 48 hours later.

The 60 foot high free-standing sign that is going out on the street is in fabrication now. The big word PINBALL across the front of the building has had workers moving up and down in bucket trucks with lazer-gizmos getting marked to paint some thime in the next 10 days.

Traffic and income at the old place has returned to 60 to 80 percent of pre-pandemic. It might have been higher, but half the games that used to be here were moved out a week ago. We have also had spot shortages of the last food item we sell, soft drinks because of an industry-wide shortage of cans

Beth and the "Bee-team" have hauled all the parts over there and are sorting and placing them in new bins on more shelving in our work area behind the rest rooms and preparing to bring the other 2 parts hoards stashed at the house and in the Hit Shed. At some time in the near future we will be offering thousands of parts, plastic sets and playfields going back 60 years in a big surplus sale.

We are also planning a big BAASEBALL sale as soon as we open. A whole section of the floor has 30 baseball themed pinballs and pitch and bats that came from a collector in California who was in a nasty divorce. They will be offered only "as-is complete", but the ones the Club kept out of the deal were all in nice shape.

Porange Cat has been chilling at one of our volunteers house, waiting until after we get settled. We are also making avaliable a few of the famous YARD CATS. They are a set of 2, brother and sister, less than a year old, fixed and house trained that need a home. Then late last week, another yard cat, ROY has 5 kittens. They are too small to move yet, but same deal. Take one or take them all, we will get them spayed-neutered and get their shots up to date. Roy's name has been changed to "Roy-lynn"

The next week is going to involve the lifting of over a hundred heavy machines, and we are all a bunch of dried up old farts. If you happen to be doing nothing and live near Las Vegas and can help with hauling, call me or beth at 702 597-2627 or e-mail [email protected]

Thanks again to al the people who helped us get out of the financial hole we were in. It is looking much better in the future thanks to your kindly and timely help.

#790 3 years ago

There you go. Shit Tim, missed the hard labor by a week!

#791 3 years ago

The BAF was all Beth would let me show!

#792 3 years ago

FLASH!

Got all our permits and license TODAY!

Spent the day today moving machines. The last day on Trop will be tomorrow, Tuesday. Then we open on the Strip on Wed. morning.

If you can help us move, we need strong people for the whole next week.

Call at 702 597-2627 or email [email protected]

Also, we found another baby hiding under Roy-lynn. So that's 6 kittens!

#793 3 years ago

Huge congrats timarnold ! My plan is to get over there in 2022! (Sorry, that helps ZERO with moving, but best wishes!)

#794 3 years ago

Some pics of the kittens might help get them adopted.
    Also maybe post adoption plea in the Cats & Pinball topic thread.

#795 3 years ago

Too late to help move, but I will be there on July 31st to drop some coin and check out the new digs!! Can't wait!

#796 3 years ago
    Quoted from timarnold:

FLASH!
    Got all our permits and license TODAY!

Tim super things are moving along. Was glad I could contribute. Your pinside location shows unknown. Man your in
    Fabolous Las Vegas.

#797 3 years ago
    Quoted from timarnold:

The last day on Trop will be tomorrow, Tuesday. Then we open on the Strip on Wed. morning.

Wish I could be out there to ring out the old and flip in the new! Congrats on everything, Tim. I remember buying t-shirts and soda pop from your Expo booth back in 2003 (?) to support the first PHOF. Would it be fair to say your life's work has come to fruition?

Here's the plan from Tim's 2003 Expo seminar:
    Expo 2003 PHOF seminar.jpgExpo 2003 PHOF seminar.jpg

#798 3 years ago

just a little tidbit for the PHOF opening

#799 3 years ago

Drove by trop location-closed sign on door.

Drove by strip location- here is what the sign looked like last night.

PHOF Tim needs a GoFundMe for the rest of the red paint!

IMG_16042021_085244_(1600_x_800_pixel).jpgIMG_16042021_085244_(1600_x_800_pixel).jpg
    #800 3 years ago

Wow! I saw that red stripe in the video and wondered "Is that the I in PINBALL?"

There are 1,151 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-hall-of-fame-is-running-out-of-money/page/16?hl=eagle18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.