Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,284 posts
  • 328 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by bob_e
  • Topic is favorited by 68 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

118614184-c8c62f00-b7bf-11eb-8eca-64cb32e069ea.gif
    dumb-and-dumber-lloyd.gif
    sp (resized).jpg
    IMG_8130 (resized).jpeg
    phof circus (resized).jpg
    phof joke (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 4.51.01 AM (resized).png
    IMG_0359 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0005 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_forum_4155659_1151402 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1708 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7785 (resized).JPG
    Tim (resized).jpg
    Steve (resized).jpg
    Marcia (resized).jpg
    latest (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 46.
    #101 10 months ago

When i'm in vegas i do help tim. but he's right, i will only work there when the place is closed. Tim gets to the shop about 8am and i meet him there. they open at 10am. so that's a good two hours of work. usually i can stay maybe another hour... depends on the foot traffic. but it's INSANE the number of people that come flooding in when the doors open. the noise level goes from nothing to monster loud in probably 15 minutes of opening. i must be getting old because i can't stand it, it's exhausting. the ceilings are so high, with no sound breakups, i just can't work there when the place is open. Interruptions are constant too. Maybe 10 years ago i could have handled that, but not now. Also i'm only in Vegas during the winter months (and even then not consistently.) So my help to the PHoF is rather limited.

The place is amazing though. The amount of foot traffic is unreal. the number of plays games get, unbelievable. i've fixed stuff at the PHoF that i have never seen this worn. It's a whole different animal of repair. Luckily tim has a good selection of parts, weird parts. It's all needed. In michigan i've never had to repair stuff that is worn out at the PHoF.

Tim is right about finding people. Someone mentioned some good repair guys. they are great, but i don't think they would work at the PhoF. and second, a lot of those guys do not work on EMs. The solid state repairs Tim largely has a handle upon. But EMs, he is really missing the talent to fix these. I don't see the situation getting better either. It's difficult to train people to fix EMs.... I know, i've been trying to do just that for 20 years. It takes A LOT of practice to get good at it. a few years ago EMs were easy to get, so if you had the interest, you could practice on games you bought locally for $100 (or less.) But that ship sailed, and it's just harder to find games to practice repair. So less people get started in EM pinball repair. Also it takes a certain someone to just want to learn to repair an EM (aside from proper skills.) I don't really see this growing enough to help Tim's situation.

Unfortunately i don't have much (any?) answers to fix the problems. wish i did, but i don't...

#102 10 months ago
    Quoted from cfh:

the number of plays games get, unbelievable. i've fixed stuff at the PHoF that i have never seen this worn. It's a whole different animal of repair.

You guys running these types of numbers ? I have many stern pros over 200k. Some approaching 300k. I have yet to find another op close but I would guess PHoF would be the closest

F7ABA6FC-1641-4222-A1E3-67AA026E4DE8 (resized).jpegF7ABA6FC-1641-4222-A1E3-67AA026E4DE8 (resized).jpeg
    #103 10 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Absolutely.
    I'm sure Tim would rather none of us show up there.

I know this for a fact. My first time at the old PHOF circa 15 or more years ago. I had just heard about this newly opened pinball museum and I was playing multiple replays for awhile. The place was empty. I saw Tim working on a game and went up to him to thank him for all he was doing in the name of preserving pinball. Back then he had a long ponytail of brownish/reddish hair. He asked why I came alone, and I said that none of my friends I came with to Vegas were into pinball. He said something rude followed by that next time I should bring my friends. He had no interest in talking to a fellow pin enthusiast. You remember me Tim? I was the really tall mofo.

#104 10 months ago

Gotta disagree with moving the non-working ones out of sight. Even if I can't play a machine (and I understand they're often maintenance nightmares), I still really like seeing it up close. There's a lot to admire with the art, layout, backglass, etc.

#105 10 months ago
    Quoted from cfh:

When i'm in vegas i do help tim. but he's right, i will only work there when the place is closed. Tim gets to the shop about 8am and i meet him there. they open at 10am. so that's a good two hours of work. usually i can stay maybe another hour... depends on the foot traffic. but it's INSANE the number of people that come flooding in when the doors open. the noise level goes from nothing to monster loud in probably 15 minutes of opening. i must be getting old because i can't stand it, it's exhausting. the ceilings are so high, with no sound breakups, i just can't work there when the place is open. Interruptions are constant too. Maybe 10 years ago i could have handled that, but not now. Also i'm only in Vegas during the winter months (and even then not consistently.) So my help to the PHoF is rather limited.
    The place is amazing though. The amount of foot traffic is unreal. the number of plays games get, unbelievable. i've fixed stuff at the PHoF that i have never seen this worn. It's a whole different animal of repair. Luckily tim has a good selection of parts, weird parts. It's all needed. In michigan i've never had to repair stuff that is worn out at the PHoF.
    Tim is right about finding people. Someone mentioned some good repair guys. they are great, but i don't think they would work at the PhoF. and second, a lot of those guys do not work on EMs. The solid state repairs Tim largely has a handle upon. But EMs, he is really missing the talent to fix these. I don't see the situation getting better either. It's difficult to train people to fix EMs.... I know, i've been trying to do just that for 20 years. It takes A LOT of practice to get good at it. a few years ago EMs were easy to get, so if you had the interest, you could practice on games you bought locally for $100 (or less.) But that ship sailed, and it's just harder to find games to practice repair. So less people get started in EM pinball repair. Also it takes a certain someone to just want to learn to repair an EM (aside from proper skills.) I don't really see this growing enough to help Tim's situation.
    Unfortunately i don't have much (any?) answers to fix the problems. wish i did, but i don't...

so, you are basically saying the PHOF makes insane coin drop, and Tim is too cheap to spend on upkeep. Have you been paid, Clay? Because most people are aware of the work you’ve done. But are you sitting on the retirement assets Tim is refusing to part with?

#106 10 months ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

so, you are basically saying the PHOF makes insane coin drop, and Tim is too cheap to spend on upkeep. Have you been paid, Clay? Because most people are aware of the work you’ve done. But are you sitting on the retirement assets Tim is refusing to part with?

Clay is probably napping since he's in the Eastern time zone. He does not get paid for his PHoF work. In fact, he sometimes has to run out to his car and uses his own parts. Again, sometimes.

#107 10 months ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Our crew has elected to not get paid, myself included and I own the damn place. Why the hell would anyone do that ? I don’t think any of us took a vow of poverty. Well, because once you get paid it ceases to be a fun hobby and becomes another job, and if you don’t show up then people are wondering why you aren’t doing your job. Even my own attendance to repair waxes and wanes depending on what else is going on that week/ that month in my life. It does have its limits and if broken games pile up I start to feel bad. But we’ve made it work thus far. So I’m basically saying I get it. Volunteers gonna volunteer. However, we too are trying to train employees to do the simple repairs so we can leave the more complex jobs to ourselves.

#108 10 months ago

We need to get to the bottom of this and get this place straightened out. This is unacceptable for the customer

#109 10 months ago

If you have to rely on volunslaves your business model not only isn't viable, it's deplorable.

Tim should at least sell beer there so people can keep their buzz they got from the strip, at least one could leave with cloudy memory of enjoying the place with all these busted ass games.

Imagine playing spinal tap without being drunk.

Imagine paying 9k for spinal tap instead hiring techs you desperately need instead.

#110 10 months ago
    Screenshot 2023-09-12 074605 (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-09-12 074605 (resized).png
    #111 10 months ago
    Screenshot 2023-09-12 075028 (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-09-12 075028 (resized).png
    #112 10 months ago

The issue here isn't about financials from several years ago. Isn't even about current income and expense data....it's about all the machines that are out of service.

Clearly what Tim is doing isn't working as far as keeping the machines in good working order. The volunteer thing isn't working. The solution seems obvious (to me anyway). Find some money in the income stream to hire qualified techs and fix the broken machines, then keep them operating. The income is there to do that.

#113 10 months ago

One thing I observed when I was there was the overall condition of some of the games. I had a thought of what may help with this situation. Some of the examples are really beyond repair with playfields down to the wood, broken plastics,etc. Some of these examples are not rare games and are readily available on the second hand market. My thought was to start and purge some of the turds in the collection. Tim could sell some games to people who want projects and re-invest those funds towards better examples. You get Rob Anthony, Chris Hibler or anyone that knows their stuff and they will run circles around other techs with little knowledge. Rotate games on the floor with dialed in machines that do not need constant repair. As for the EM's I have heard this excuse for over 10 years that nobody can fix them the right way-again find the right person and pay them well. Games like Road Runner that have been sitting on main floor unplayable for years(even in old location) is unacceptable. Goin Nuts has been down for like a year now(my favorite PHOF game) with the glass off just sitting there? Now Pinball Circus is down-that is the main attraction for PHOF? Time to call in the big guns(techs that know their stuff) and get things fixed asap.

#114 10 months ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

The issue here isn't about financials from several years ago. Isn't even about current income and expense data....it's about all the machines that are out of service.

How could one keep those machines in service.... hmmm.

I have a thought, use revenue to support the business and hire some help. I know, it is a stretch

#115 10 months ago

Another thought...even if you get the EM's all dialed in and playing which is a big task-will they just break down quickly again because of the high foot traffic?

Here is an idea-most of the EM's are already in the back segmented together. Right now half of them are inoperable and sitting idle. What if you rope off that area with a velvet rope and charge a fee for people to check out the EM section(must have a wrist band). This would limit the number of plays and wear and tear on older delicate machines and hopefully keep them playable? People could still see them in person and appreciate them but if they want to play them they have to pay a entrance fee for that section?

#116 10 months ago

Paging NicoVolta...PHOF needs your help with EM repair once a month

#117 10 months ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Goin Nuts has been down for like a year now(my favorite PHOF game) with the glass off just sitting there?

Fwiw, the glass is on. Apron must be in the cabinet… I hope. I dunno but it was a huge bummer to find still shut off.

#118 10 months ago
    Quoted from pinmister:Another thought...even if you get the EM's all dialed in and playing which is a big task-will they just break down quickly again because of the high foot traffic?
    Here is an idea-most of the EM's are already in the back segmented together. Right now half of them are inoperable and sitting idle. What if you rope off that area with a velvet rope and charge a fee for people to check out the EM section(must have a wrist band). This would limit the number of plays and wear and tear on older delicate machines and hopefully keep them playable? People could still see them in person and appreciate them but if they want to play them they have to pay a entrance fee for that section?

EMs are not delicate. If an EM is fixed right, they are rock solid and can run for years without maintenance, just cleaning.

Most of the EMs I saw there were ratted out projects that could use several hours of service to get bullet proofed.

#119 10 months ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

EMs are not delicate. If an EM is fixed right, they are rock solid and can run for years without maintenance, just cleaning.

I would disagree and with the heavy heavy foot traffic PHOF experiences I do not think EM's should be out on the main floor for people to bang on all day. You get a new Stern in there and you can bang away. I actually think my idea of roping off the EM's is a great idea now that I think about it

#120 10 months ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I would disagree and with the heavy heavy foot traffic PHOF experiences I do not think EM's should be out on the main floor for people to bang on all day. You get a new Stern in there and you can bang away. I actually think my idea of roping off the EM's is a great idea now that I think about it

I disagree. I don’t go to bang away on Sterns. I can do that anywhere. I want to see and play the rare and EM’s that I can’t play anywhere else (except Clay’s VFW).

I miss Tom Taylor’s pre-MGC open house where I could play all of his EM’s once a year.

#121 10 months ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I have EMs on location that each get 10s of thousands of plays a year and most of what I do is clean them.

They are not delicate, you can bang away at them and they don't need any more maintenance than a Stern that is heavy played.

The irony is that if there were more machines available, the individual games' play counts would decline, thus improving the service life.

The wristband idea works at other places, but they aren't going to hire staff to monitor a VIP area.

#122 10 months ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

I want to see and play the rare and EM’s that I can’t play anywhere else (except Clay’s VFW).

So if you want to see them and actually play examples that work-would you not pay a small fee to do so?

Right now with the current business model people have no right to bitch. Why is that? Because it cost you zero money to enter and there is no charge unless you want to play something. If you pay a fee to enjoy a certain area there would be expectations of upkeep or having a certain amount that are operable. I would pay a fee no problem instead of walking around just trying to find games that are somewhat playable.

#123 10 months ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Heavy on excuses and light on solutions. Sounds like the same story I’ve heard for the last couple years and nothing has changed for the better.

You guys are so ridiculous. It's not like anyone gets ripped off, admission is free. Loads of games are working and it's still the best and cheapest way to spend a few hours in Vegas. If you don't like it, don't go. But quit the incessant whining about the place.

#124 10 months ago
    Quoted from theadicts77:

You guys are so ridiculous. It's not like anyone gets ripped off, admission is free. Loads of games are working and it's still the best and cheapest way to spend a few hours in Vegas. If you don't like it, don't go. But quit the incessant whining about the place.

Doesn't sound like you've been there. It's not the best way to spend a few hours in Vegas, it doesn't even cover the opportunity costs of walking/riding down to that end of the strip.

Nobody is whining - this is a pinball forum and we are discussing a location. If it was fantastic would anyone say "hey stop talking about that place?" No.

#125 10 months ago

Doesn't sound like you've been there. It's not the best way to spend a few hours in Vegas, it doesn't even cover the opportunity costs of walking/riding down to that end of the strip.
    Nobody is whining - this is a pinball forum and we are discussing a location. If it was fantastic would anyone say "hey stop talking about that place?" No.

I've been plenty to both the old and the new location, thanks. And yeah, you're whining. Nobody is stopping you from paying $15 for a shitty, watery cocktail at Margaritaville instead. The entitlement in this thread is pathetic.

#126 10 months ago
    Quoted from theadicts77:

It's not like anyone gets ripped off, admission is free.

Not true. It is a bit of a rip off when there are lots of examples of machines at PHOF that are left powered on to take money when they aren't working correctly.

They know most people won't realize they just played a machine that has a main feature not working or flippers that aren't working correctly, so those people won't know to ask for a refund on the game. They'll think instead that they just didn't play the game well. And a lot of people won't want to take the time/hassle to ask for a 50 cent refund even when they do know. And there are many examples of machines not working correctly but left powered on at PHOF.

It's PHOF's decision how to run their business. Do as much or as little maintenance as they want. Charge an entry fee or do coin drop.

But when they're doing coin drop and making it a habit to leave machines on that aren't working correctly that's not good.

#127 10 months ago
    Quoted from theadicts77:

I've been plenty to both the old and the new location, thanks. And yeah, you're whining. Nobody is stopping you from paying $15 for a shitty, watery cocktail at Margaritaville instead. The entitlement in this thread is pathetic.

Entitlement? WTF are you talking about? Coming from someone whining about whining...

A trip to Fremont street to watch the freaks is free and a hell of a lot more fun than the PHOF.

#128 10 months ago
    Quoted from theadicts77:

I’ll save my time on a lengthy response but it has nothing to do with entitlement and is just disappointing. Can you imagine going to any other “hall of fame” or “museum” and more than half the exhibits are closed? Or you go to a restaurant and they’re out of 80% of the menu? No one is entitled to pinball, but we’re certainly disappointed by this experience. Yes, it’s free to get in, but so are a lot of places that suck. At least if you go to margaritaville and ask for a $15 watery cocktail, they have one for you, made and served by someone being paid for their time and effort.

#129 10 months ago

Getting back to having TA get some good, paid techs. It won't happen. A lot of people here (and not on here) don't understand is that TA has an "Us vs Them" mindset. He always has. What does that mean, you ask? It means that he feels he's unique, smarter than 99.9% of the population. This can't be changed, it's congenital. As others have mentioned, you can have an assembly of some of the BEST techs on the planet, Clay Harrel, etc and stay there for a month and Tim would never be satisfied because they're not doing things "his way". Yes, I understand it's his baby and all but there comes a time when everyone needs help. Picture this, if you can: Tim getting on the phone calling _______(fill in the blank) saying, "Hey I really have a shitload of games down and can certainly use your help for a few days...I have to tend to some other pressing issues at hand" (legal matters and other problems that he cited a few posts up. Seriously, think about it. There could be flames shooting out of the front windows of the PHOF and he'd be directing the Firefighters for Pete's sake. You're NOT going to change a person who has whatever syndrome he's got. Never.

#130 10 months ago

Shout out to the Silverball Museum in Delray Beach, FL (sister to Asbury Park). Not as big as PHOF, but almost all pins were working the several times I went there. Tons of EM's, too. It's one price for all day and they have a bar and food. Win - win - win. This is an example of a successful pinball place.

#131 10 months ago
    Quoted from play_pinball:

Damn a whole bunch of went this weekend it seems. I was in Vegas for the first time, for a friends wedding and I made sure to add time for my trip to finally play some Pinball Circus and hopefully some other rare ones. While I was able to finally play an Asteroid Annie, Spinal Tap (one and done, woof), Bond60 (already somewhat poor condition with meh flippers and playfield chipping, but I put 11 games on it for $2 so maybe I shouldn’t complain), and a handful of others, the big hitters I came to play were all down.
    It seems like I’ve heard Pinball Circus and Goin Nuts have been down for quite a while? Maybe prioritize the big attractions and don’t waste time working on a basket case Bugs Bunny?
    Fwiw, I did still spend a few hours and had a good time. I knew better than to turn a game off myself and the staff was very nice and when I reported a couple egregious things that would require attention (a flipper not working for example) and it was all met with care and offers of credits. I even bought myself a hat. I hope next time I come the rarities are actually not just museum pieces.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The "Check Back With Me Tomorrow" text on the out of order signs seems misleading. At the rate machines are being fixed, just use "Later" instead of "Tomorrow".

#132 10 months ago
    Quoted from illudiumQ36:

Shout out to the Silverball Museum in Delray Beach, FL (sister to Asbury Park). Not as big as PHOF, but almost all pins were working the several times I went there. Tons of EM's, too. It's one price for all day and they have a bar and food. Win - win - win. This is an example of a successful pinball place.

This comment finally made the reading time in this thread worthwhile for me. I've been to the Asbury Park museum several times: always a great experience. I think both Silverballs combined still pale in size compared to Tim's operation -- the right size does seem to matter, I guess -- but there are some successful pinball business models out there that we can agree on, enjoy and share in our lifetime.

#133 10 months ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Thank you for assisting when you can!

#134 10 months ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I’ll save my time on a lengthy response but it has nothing to do with entitlement and is just disappointing. Can you imagine going to any other “hall of fame” or “museum” and more than half the exhibits are closed? Or you go to a restaurant and they’re out of 80% of the menu? No one is entitled to pinball, but we’re certainly disappointed by this experience. Yes, it’s free to get in, but so are a lot of places that suck. At least if you go to margaritaville and ask for a $15 watery cocktail, they have one for you, made and served by someone being paid for their time and effort.

It reminds me of going to a restaurant where a bunch of menu items are not available. If the menu has them crossed out you deal with it and order from what is available. However, if you look over the menu and decide what you want but the waiter informs you upon ordering that it's not available it feels a lot worse. Even worse if the next two items you choose are also unavailable. The two situations are very similar but one is a much worse customer experience.

Maybe they can move the long-term broken machines to a section that is meant to be more like a museum where machines are viewed and not played. That would temper expectations.

Games still on with non-working parts is pretty unacceptable though. Nothing feels worse than dropping your money in and finding out a flipper doesn't work. I had that happen at a bar recently and I'm pretty much set on never going back there. It was an awful experience.

#135 10 months ago

I used to work as a bill collector for the local cable company and you’d be surprised how many people said “you can’t disconnect my internet, I work from home and that’s my source of income.” The response is always the same. “If that’s where your revenue comes from, the you should look after that first.”

Enough broken games and people will stop coming in the door.

#136 10 months ago
    Quoted from Anony:

It reminds me of going to a restaurant where a bunch of menu items are not available. If the menu has them crossed out you deal with it and order from what is available. However, if you look over the menu and decide what you want but the waiter informs you upon ordering that it's not available it feels a lot worse. Even worse if the next two items you choose are also unavailable. The two situations are very similar but one is a much worse customer experience.
    Maybe they can move the long-term broken machines to a section that is meant to be more like a museum where machines are viewed and not played. That would temper expectations.
    Games still on with non-working parts is pretty unacceptable though. Nothing feels worse than dropping your money in and finding out a flipper doesn't work. I had that happen at a bar recently and I'm pretty much set on never going back there. It was an awful experience.

Right, I think we are saying the same thing. I’m certainly not “entitled” to any food in a restaurant, but if I go there because I have a taste for X, Y or Z and they don’t have it, will I starve? No…but is it a bummer? Yes!

#137 10 months ago

Damn a whole bunch of went this weekend it seems. I was in Vegas for the first time, for a friends wedding and I made sure to add time for my trip to finally play some Pinball Circus and hopefully some other rare ones. While I was able to finally play an Asteroid Annie, Spinal Tap (one and done, woof), Bond60 (already somewhat poor condition with meh flippers and playfield chipping, but I put 11 games on it for $2 so maybe I shouldn’t complain), and a handful of others, the big hitters I came to play were all down.
    It seems like I’ve heard Pinball Circus and Goin Nuts have been down for quite a while? Maybe prioritize the big attractions and don’t waste time working on a basket case Bugs Bunny?
    Fwiw, I did still spend a few hours and had a good time. I knew better than to turn a game off myself and the staff was very nice and when I reported a couple egregious things that would require attention (a flipper not working for example) and it was all met with care and offers of credits. I even bought myself a hat. I hope next time I come the rarities are actually not just museum pieces.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hey, I wonder of that’s my old Chicago Coin Thing! I’ve never seen another one. I remember remaking the big tent plastic in the center of the playfield, but I thought I did better with the letters on the pop bumper caps. My game came from Lloyd at Coinop Warehouse. The original plan was to restore it with my daughter, but she grew out of her interest in working on games. I passed along the project to game repair master Jim Palson, who got it running and sold it to a collector a few years ago at the York show.

The game had a strange series of knocks when you won a free game. I figured out that the rhythm of the knocks was supposed to put you in mind of a novelty song called “The Thing” that came out the year before the game was manufactured. I loved the artwork on that game. I’m glad to know that there’s one out in the wild!

#138 10 months ago
    Quoted from mdolshan:

Hey, I wonder of that’s my old Chicago Coin Thing! I’ve never seen another one. I remember remaking the big tent plastic in the center of the playfield, but I thought I did better with the letters on the pop bumper caps. My game came from Lloyd at Coinop Warehouse. The original plan was to restore it with my daughter, but she grew out of her interest in working on games. I passed along the project to game repair master Jim Palson, who got it running and sold it to a collector a few years ago at the York show.
    The game had a strange series of knocks when you won a free game. I figured out that the rhythm of the knocks was supposed to put you in mind of a novelty song called “The Thing” that came out the year before the game was manufactured. I loved the artwork on that game. I’m glad to know that there’s one out in the wild!

Too bad there’s an outrageously high chance it currently does not work

#139 10 months ago
    Quoted from theadicts77:

Lame

#140 10 months ago

I just came back from my annual Vegas vacation. Went to the PHOF probably 5 times during the week. Had an absolute blast, and the place was always packed.

Got to play James Bond 50th, wow, I wasn't expecting to like it but it was awesome. Had fun playing with the other new Sterns I had not had a chance to play yet.

Yes, there's an incredible amount of games that are currently broken, a lot more than their previous location. But, the times I was there there were 2 or 3 people fixing games. The first day Elvira was down, but it was fixed later in the week. Same with AC/DC. While there were a bunch of classic games I wanted to play that didn't work, it was quite nice to play the ones that did.

You just need to enjoy the games that work, and ignore the ones that don't. If you can't get past the amount of games that aren't working and have fun with the over hundred that do work, just don't go.

#141 10 months ago

Maybe they should close for a few weeks whenever the slowest time of year is to get the place up to speed and get games working. I think people would understand if it got temporarily closed for the better long term prospects of the business. Hard to be considered a hall of fame if you don’t have most games and/or they aren’t working.

#142 10 months ago

The PHOF is already closed at least 12 hours each day. Games could fixed uninterrupted during that time.

night at the museum (resized).pngnight at the museum (resized).png
    #143 10 months ago

If a legend of the biz like Steve Kordek is going to entrust you with displaying and making Pinball Circus publicly available for play, keep the damn thing well maintained and, most importantly, turned on. That is not Pinsider entitlement, it’s Tim not living up to his end of the bargain.

Knowing the rep of the joint, I was half-expecting to get kicked out for pulling the moving blanket off of Road Runner & 4X4 to take those pics. As I said before, I didn't have a BAD time and the staff was very nice. I did get to play some games like Criss Cross Pop-Up that I'd never even heard of. I can still say I was disappointed. Again, I still supported the merch booth by buying a hat. I'm not here to hate Tim or the place, but if the expectation was to have rare titles (even just one very specific title) available for play, those rare ones should be maintained like babies and playing (at least that one very specific one).

Quoted from mdolshan:

Hey, I wonder of that’s my old Chicago Coin Thing!

I LOOOOOVE the artwork on Thing and was looking forward to finally getting to play one. Of course it was off.

Now, the one thing no one has talked about is the cats. Very cute. 10 out of 10.

IMG_2570 (resized).jpegIMG_2570 (resized).jpegIMG_2606 (resized).jpegIMG_2606 (resized).jpeg
    #144 10 months ago
    Screen Shot 2023-09-12 at 11.06.38 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-09-12 at 11.06.38 AM (resized).png
    #145 10 months ago

Do I have reason to be upset? Yeah.
    I used to live in Ohio. Read on the PHOF website all the games listed (lot's of EM's, my favorites). And the website says:

"The Games at the PHoF.
    These are the games (including pictures) that are at the Las Vegas Pinball Hall of Fame. Click on a link to read more about the machines and see pictures. These games are available for play."

So I made a trip to the PHOF from Ohio to find out most of the games listed on the website for play were NOT AVAILABLE FOR PLAY. And the ones that were turned on played like shit.

Fix the errors on the website too. False advertising.

http://pinballmuseum.org/games/games.php

#146 10 months ago

Someone else needs to run this place
    Hall of shame many call it for so many reasons and you go in with smiles
    And leave in tears or worse get escorted out.

I’ve never been back after my last encounter several years ago and I go to Vegas a lot.

Tim , if you read this ; retire !!
    let someone else run it to make it a happy place!!

#147 10 months ago

If a legend of the biz like Steve Kordek is going to entrust you with displaying and making Pinball Circus publicly available for play

Originally loaned. Then Steve's wife died, his grandkids had no interest in it. So Steve sold it to the PHOF.

LTG : )

#148 10 months ago

Entitlement? WTF are you talking about? Coming from someone whining about whining...
    A trip to Fremont street to watch the freaks is free and a hell of a lot more fun than the PHOF.

The best show is on Saturday nights. Friday is pretty good.

PRO TIP: When the sounds get to be too much, head up to the rotating bar at Whisky Licker Up. Excellent view of the animalism on the street below. There are also non-rotating window seats if the rotating section is full. Cool views of failed zip-liners getting rescued too.
    The drinks are really good as well. Aboot $23.00 apiece (plus tip).

#149 10 months ago
    Quoted from nsduprr:

I'm at the VFW weekly.
    I talk with Clay several times a week (ish).
    I've been helping with the current VFW project.
    Unless circumstances change, I'm 97.35% sure Clay is keeping VFW *open* and mainly staying in Michigan for the near future..

And I am sure Clay doesn't want to go work for someone who keeps throwing him under the bus. For damn sakes, if Clay is out there and wants to work all night, uninterrupted? Let him WORK!!! How dare he want to concentrate on fixing things and not dealing with people during business hours?

#150 10 months ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I literally just got home from Vegas 2 hours ago and catching up on Pinside. I went to pinball HOF yesterday and was there all of 10 minutes. I wanted to play Pinball Circus and both of the rare Atari's. Guess what? NOPE. I instead did the snake through walk around, saw all of the turned off machines and just said nope and left.

Yes, every time I drove by over the 4 days I was there, the place was busy. The casuals just don't care the way we all do. To me? The place is becoming a junk pile in certain areas. Tim, with all the shit you got going on? It's time to hire a proper operations manager and let THEM WORK. Pay some proper salaries, stop all this volunteer nonsense and your coin drops will increase times over. But hey, Tim, you do you if that's how it HAS to be.

There are 2,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.