Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,915 posts
  • 293 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 64 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 4.40.25?PM (resized).png
    20240218_200844 (resized).jpg
    20240218_201426 (resized).jpg
    20240218_202729 (resized).jpg
    20240218_201927 (resized).jpg
    20240218_205532 (resized).jpg
    20240218_210534 (resized).jpg
    20240218_210024 (resized).jpg
    20240218_200703 (resized).jpg
    20240218_200719 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2031 (resized).jpeg
    8saa0ObEJN1UKTU4SFOHsbl5tSyaZ_HZU345TDok3AY (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    sob (resized).jpg
    IMG_2784 (resized).JPG
    sotb (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,915 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 39.
    #551 5 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Is NYC a major city?
    As far as I know, I’m the only person out of 8 million who lives in New York City who does pinball service. And I don’t take too many jobs anymore because it’s a pain in the ass.
    Im trying to figure out why folks think there’s dozens of pinball techs in Vegas just waiting on a call for
    That paid gig at PBHOF.
    People really don’t seem to get it. Just like everybody here has an idea for the perfect pinball company selling innovative, quality games for $4,000, everybody here seems to have an idea for the perfect pinball hall of fame in Vegas.
    Meanwhile, the one guy who has figured out how to pull it off is doing it wrong.
    I don’t know fellas !!

Kinda like the people who say Steve Young is doing it all wrong.

#552 5 months ago
    Quoted from gjm:

If only he would completely change the way he'd do business, he'd have a successful company! (the last 45 years have been a fluke!)

#553 5 months ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Yeah, doing wrong by advertising you can come and play ALL his machines...and that they are meticulously maintained.
    I don't care that many of the machines are out of service (I'm not going back). I don't care who volunteers or not. I don't care if they sell T-shirts. I don't care if it's pinheads or tourists who go there. I do care about credibility and honesty. The guy doing it all wrong and making lots of money is untrustworthy. Look no farther than the false advertising.
    I spent money to go there (twice) to play the games advertised and found the advising false. Fool me one, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Hmmm, some valid points made here...I think a name-change might be in order. PHOF--Pinball Hall of Fraud perhaps?

#554 5 months ago

People seem to be putting far too much weight on the name thing. The place is an arcade named Pinball Hall of Fame. I mean, do you really look at this website and expect something greater than that?

phof (resized).pngphof (resized).png

I get my eyeglasses at America's Best and they're the same damn eyeglasses I could get anywhere else, but I don't demand that they change their name because their product isn't literally the best in America. I don't go into Cracker Barrel expecting to find barrels full of crackers (actually, I don't go into Cracker Barrel at all if it can possibly be avoided). Coming up with a catchy name is just part of running a business -- it's up to the consumer to decide whether Burger King is a misnomer and spend their money accordingly.

#555 5 months ago

C'mon that is a silly defense to take.

If it was called "Cracker hall of fame", "Burger hall of fame", or "Glasses hall of fame" it's a different tune and you know it!

#556 5 months ago
    Quoted from Pinhead_:

If it was called "Cracker hall of fame", "Burger hall of fame", or "Glasses hall of fame" it's a different tune and you know it!

I'm not really defending anything (having more broken games than not isn't really defensible), just pointing out that harping on the name seems a little silly to me. Free Gold Watch didn't actually give me a free gold watch; I demand that they change their name. To me that's kinda silly.

That being said, I could really use a visit to the Burger Hall of Fame right about now.

#557 5 months ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

I’ve got one place with 25 pins and another with over 40 in Georgia.
    I usually have about 2-3 machines down out of 45 in our big location.

Ironically, the two down most often are Black Knight 2000 and Black Knight Swords of Rage.

#558 5 months ago
    Quoted from EternitytoM83:

That being said, I could really use a visit to the Burger Hall of Fame right about now.

The International Hamburger Hall of Fame

https://www.facebook.com/hamburgermuseum/

#559 5 months ago

This is a cruel thing to show someone who just had a bowl of Cheerios for lunch.

#560 5 months ago

I think the issues people have with the PHoF are more issues with the North American arcade scene than anything. I see the exact same complaints in the rhythm game community.

I live in Canada where Dave and Busters is the only arcade that has the current version of Dance Dance Revolution. Despite there being a decent sized community of regular players here D&B doesn't give two shits about the DDR players. In one location the machine has been offline for almost an entire year and the management just doesn't care because it has no impact on their bottom line. There could be 100 regulars and it wouldn't touch the revenue coming in from birthday parties and booze.

American arcades cater to casuals only these days. The only exception I see are places like the VFW mentioned here and Round1 arcades which appear to have found success catering to the niche community of rhythm gamers. (although they also have the typical casual machines you see in every NA arcade so I can't say how much profit the rhythm community brings in compared to those games.)

Meanwhile in Japan they are attacking us for playing with hacked data on private servers because they don't understand that 90% of North American lives a 5+ hours drive away from a legitimate machine.

The barcade seems to be the only thing changing this trend in North America but their focus on retro means it doesn't really have much impact. At least for pinball barcades seem to be pretty up to date so there are options. If you are in NA and into any non-pinball arcade game you're basically screwed.

#561 5 months ago
    Quoted from Pinhead_:

I would visit The Cracker Hall Of Fame.

#562 5 months ago
    Quoted from Anony:

I think the issues people have with the PHoF are more issues with the North American arcade scene than anything. I see the exact same complaints in the rhythm game community.
    I live in Canada where Dave and Busters is the only arcade that has the current version of Dance Dance Revolution. Despite there being a decent sized community of regular players here D&B doesn't give two shits about the DDR players. In one location the machine has been offline for almost an entire year and the management just doesn't care because it has no impact on their bottom line. There could be 100 regulars and it wouldn't touch the revenue coming in from birthday parties and booze.
    American arcades cater to casuals only these days. The only exception I see are places like the VFW mentioned here and Round1 arcades which appear to have found success catering to the niche community of rhythm gamers. (although they also have the typical casual machines you see in every NA arcade so I can't say how much profit the rhythm community brings in compared to those games.)
    Meanwhile in Japan they are attacking us for playing with hacked data on private servers because they don't understand that 90% of North American lives a 5+ hours drive away from a legitimate machine.
    The barcade seems to be the only thing changing this trend in North America but their focus on retro means it doesn't really have much impact. At least for pinball barcades seem to be pretty up to date so there are options. If you are in NA and into any non-pinball arcade game you're basically screwed.

This is a good point. How often would the die-hards - folks who OWN their own pinball machines - actually go to an arcade? Not much.

Whenever a place "that I loved when I was a kid" goes out of business, I think, wow, that's a shame that duckpin bowling place I went when I was 12 is closing. And then I'd think, "when was the last time I went there?" The answer is 1988, and for that reason, I clearly bear some of the blame for it going under.

Tim will go out of business catering to us. He will continue to thrive with his business model, which is catering to everybody else.

It's not just pinball manufacturers anymore...the list of things that would go tits up if Pinside ran it is growing by the day!

#563 5 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is a good point. How often would the die-hards - folks who OWN their own pinball machines - actually go to an arcade? Not much.
    Whenever a place "that I loved when I was a kid" goes out of business, I think, wow, that's a shame that duckpin bowling place I went when I was 12 is closing. And then I'd think, "when was the last time I went there?" The answer is 1988, and for that reason, I clearly bear some of the blame for it going under.
    Tim will go out of business catering to us. He will continue to thrive with his business model, which is catering to everybody else.
    It's not just pinball manufacturers anymore...the list of things that would go tits up if Pinside ran it is growing by the day!

PHOF arguments aside, maybe I'm an outlier but I like to go hit a location once a week at least. We have a location that does a league 4 times a year I play in on and off, and then a few other locations close by that have a good line up that I like to go check out and just get out of the house for something to do. Maybe it's just a byproduct of them being so close though.

#564 5 months ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

I could be inducted into it!

#565 5 months ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

Quoted from Haymaker:

I could be inducted into it!

I stayed at the Ritz once. Does that qualify me?

#566 5 months ago
    Quoted from gjm:

It’s not that hard to be successful when you have a monopoly on something desirable

#567 5 months ago
    Quoted from gjm:

I’ve never ordered from him but is it safe to assume if you order from him he has the parts you need and sends them to you? Or do you get a speech about how land surveying is why he doesn’t have 60% of the items on the site?

Successful and a good experience aren’t necessarily the same thing.

#568 5 months ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I’ve never ordered from him but is it safe to assume if you order from him he has the parts you need and sends them to you? Or do you get a speech about how land surveying is why he doesn’t have 60% of the items on the site?
    Successful and a good experience aren’t necessarily the same thing.

Steve's got the parts and you will receive them promptly, he is old school and you have to pay by check.

#569 5 months ago

I'll be the one person to stick my neck out and say I wish PBR would modernize a bit, but I'm international which makes the hurdles you have to jump to get an order into them a lot bigger than for people in the US.

More than once I've had a list of parts I've wanted to order from them but never went through with it because it would require me to jump through a bunch of hoops. I've also had the situation where I contact them and it turns out they do have stuff I want but it's not listed on their site.
    I'm not going to claim that they could be doing better with a more updated site because there are tradeoffs for everything but it's easier than it has ever been to have an e-commerce site and they have to be leaving some sales on the table by doing things the way they do.

I get that their inventory is probably a bit of a nightmare but every time I've contacted them they've been pretty prompt in answering so they must be managing it on their side pretty well. Why can't they get that data on the site so we can have an easier time of figuring out what they have? And wouldn't they rather people be able to answer questions independently than have to answer customer calls and e-mails over these kinds of questions?

Again, not saying they are unsuccessful or should change just that in my personal experience the way they do things has been a barrier to spend money with them.

#570 5 months ago

Back on track. This is simple.

We love pinball. We love the history of pinball. Just maintain the pins to a high level.

Tourist or pinhead .. respect the hobby and be the best it can be.

#571 5 months ago

Why does anyone care if this particular pinball arcade isn't great? There are lots of them I suspect you have no opinion about. What makes this one different? Is it because of the self-appointed "HOF" name? Who cares?

#572 5 months ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Why does anyone care if this particular pinball arcade isn't great? There are lots of them I suspect you have no opinion about. What makes this one different? Is it because of the self-appointed "HOF" name? Who cares?

It's super weird.

I visited two pinball arcades in Poland. Both had issues similar to what people whine about.

I didn't give a shit. I was in Poland. I got to see a bunch of pinball machines and play Outrun during a couple breaks I had on a very long two week trip. I got to play a decent Jungle Lord for 20 minutes. I put up a high score on a tired Godzilla. It was a perfectly acceptable way to spend a couple hours.

I didn't come here and post threads with a laundry list of demanded changes. Cause why bother? I can't do better. These Poles have figured out how to make a couple cool pinball arcades in fuckin' Poland.

Why would I want to discourage people from going? How does that "help the hobby?"

If you want to play mint condition games, you can do it in your basement.

#573 5 months ago

Right, just go to a better arcade.

#574 5 months ago

Approx how many machines are in the PHOF and
    how many are turned on each day?

#575 5 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Damn, how did we miss that one Levi?? If Tim maintained his games, he'd go out of business!!!!

proxy-image (1).gifproxy-image (1).gif

#576 5 months ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

How many places in the USA have 35 working pins to play? Honest question as I find 35 would still be an amazing number to have in one location.

Looking at the pinside map I see 142 locations that have 30 plus games. It would not allow me to choose 35.
    We are lucky here in Michigan we have 13 of them, 2 of them being within 15 minutes of my house!

#577 5 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Is NYC a major city?
    As far as I know, I’m the only person out of 8 million who lives in New York City who does pinball service. And I don’t take too many jobs anymore because it’s a pain in the ass.
    Im trying to figure out why folks think there’s dozens of pinball techs in Vegas just waiting on a call for
    That paid gig at PBHOF.
    People really don’t seem to get it. Just like everybody here has an idea for the perfect pinball company selling innovative, quality games for $4,000, everybody here seems to have an idea for the perfect pinball hall of fame in Vegas.
    Meanwhile, the one guy who has figured out how to pull it off is doing it wrong.
    I don’t know fellas !!

One guy in 8 million.

#578 5 months ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley: he's actually a good guy.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So is Tim! Dude didn't even know me 20 years ago and offered to pick me up from the Vegas airport and take me to his hanger full of games.

Levi, how much mileage is Tim going to get out of you for offering to pick you up at the airport over 20 years ago?

#579 5 months ago

It’s been absolute garbage for ever! I was hoping they would hire some techs for the new building but nope!

#580 5 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I visited two pinball arcades in Poland. Both had issues similar to what people whine about.

So, by Poland's standards, the PHOF isn't too shabby?

#581 5 months ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

How many places in the USA have 35 working pins to play? Honest question as I find 35 would still be an amazing number to have in one location.

Here's one in the Cleveland area. You'll find me here most Friday afternoons when I have the day off. They only have 31 games though
    http://southlandlanes.com/pinball/

#582 5 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

If you have a half paid for home in California, you'll get a fully paid one that's a step or two up in Las Vegas. If your California home is paid for, you'll get two Vegas homes.
    No state income tax versus the average California pinball collector's 9+% is a nice bonus.
    But car insurance and registration is awful. There are so many Ca transfers here that keep their Golden State plates....

No place can be the cheapest on everything. I believe that you're from Michigan. For example, housing is "reasonable" (whatever that means today), but property taxes are off the charts. You can't win.

#583 5 months ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

No place can be the cheapest on everything. I believe that you're from Michigan. For example, housing is "reasonable" (whatever that means today), but property taxes are off the charts. You can't win.

Housing is reasonable here, and the property taxes and income taxes are low.

But in the summertime you'll be like

burning (resized).jpgburning (resized).jpg

#584 5 months ago
    Quoted from Russell:

I think the difference is the number of games he owns and rarity / breadth of machines. Seeing so many in such a sad state is generally depressing for pinheads and it appears to have only gotten worse with time. Typically we want everyone to have a good experience when playing pinball so the hobby can thrive. A location full of broken games doesn't do that.

#585 5 months ago
    Quoted from hypnotoad:

I think the difference is the number of games he owns and rarity / breadth of machines. Seeing so many in such a sad state is generally depressing for pinheads and it appears to have only gotten worse with time. Typically we want everyone to have a good experience when playing pinball so the hobby can thrive. A location full of broken games doesn't do that.

Especially when they advertise on their site that they have these rare machines and how great their condition is.

"All machines are available for play, so not only can you see them, you can actually play your old favorites. The pinball machines are all restored to like-new playing condition"

That's just a straight up lie. Why would anyone defend them on that front is beyond me.

#586 5 months ago

The PHOF is what it is. But flat-out lying about the condition of the games on the website is disgraceful and without honor.

Maybe Tim simply has the old business adage "under-promise and over-deliver" backwards?

#587 5 months ago

Maybe they could post a sign on the door everyday of what machines are "not in service" like an amusement posts which rides are down. Although that may be too much work to constantly update the sign throughout the day with additions and/or subtractions to the list. Then you could decide whether or not to even go in.

There are couple places around here that are a flat $20 to enter but all games are free. I want to ask if I can walk around and see what games are available to play before I pay. I would hate to pay $20, walk in and find 5 EMs in various state of repair and a bunch of Space Invaders video games as the only games to play.

#588 5 months ago
    Quoted from Dan_Fielding:

Maybe they could post a sign on the door everyday of what machines are "not in service" like an amusement posts which rides are down.

Never going to happen, of course. But also not really helpful -- are you going to get all the way to the PHOF and then not go in and have a look? As I understand it there's still no entry fee, just coin drop, so the issue isn't that it's a "rip off" of some kind but that you spent $40 on cab-fare and then the games you'd hoped to play aren't running. But as pointed out it's his collection and his prerogative, and if he's making bank running things as-is then why would he change things? (That said I'm glad to have seen this thread, I'll poke my nose in if I'm down that end of the strip next month but will keep expectations low if I make it in).

Quoted from DanQverymuch:

flat-out lying about the condition of the games on the website is disgraceful and without honor.

The website is evidently full of fanciful hyperbole, but is anyone actually reading that wall of text (besides people on this thread)?

#589 5 months ago

Don't be that guy...

773a7293-c932-4fd1-aee6-04ccd4bde1f0_text (resized).png773a7293-c932-4fd1-aee6-04ccd4bde1f0_text (resized).png
    #590 5 months ago

Stopped by the GUMBALL Hall of Fame today.

IMG_7771 (resized).jpegIMG_7771 (resized).jpeg
    #591 5 months ago

download (4) (resized).jpegdownload (4) (resized).jpeg

#592 5 months ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Stopped by the GUMBALL Hall of Fame today. [quoted image]

I can honestly say this is the most I’ve laughed at a post on pinside since I’ve joined. Thank you so much.

#593 5 months ago

Tim was back in court again today.

Those of us who had higher hopes for the PHOF are just going to have to live with our spirits amputated and souls executed.

#594 5 months ago

“You lost today kid, but you don’t have to like it.”

#595 5 months ago
    Quoted from Dan_Fielding:

Maybe they could post a sign on the door everyday of what machines are "not in service" like an amusement posts which rides are down. Although that may be too much work to constantly update the sign throughout the day with additions and/or subtractions to the list. Then you could decide whether or not to even go in.
    There are couple places around here that are a flat $20 to enter but all games are free. I want to ask if I can walk around and see what games are available to play before I pay. I would hate to pay $20, walk in and find 5 EMs in various state of repair and a bunch of Space Invaders video games as the only games to play.

"Sorry folks, Pinball circus is broken, moose out front should have told ya"

#596 5 months ago
    Quoted from ZooDude:

"Sorry folks, Pinball circus is broken, moose out front should have told ya"

If I were to ever have the grave misfortune of winding up in Vegas again, Pinball Circus is about the only thing I'd go out of my way to see on my way out of town. Other than that, I get plenty of action here in Eugene, and a much bigger and better collection known as "Next Level" is two hours from here.

#597 5 months ago

Next level is the shit. Love that place, no EMs kinda blows, but great spot, good people A+ for next level.
    I've said my piece about PHOF, no need to pile on
    B

#598 5 months ago

Just my observation, these post have been going on since Tim started the PHoF. People complain that there's so many games off, so many games that have issues. Tim, to his credit, comes on and post why everything is the way it is and I have to agree that a lot of his "issues" are legitimate. My take though is that Tim gives the impression, to me, that all would be great IF all these issues wouldn't have arise. To this I say, what business doesn't have issues? The difference is, some business owners adapt and change the way they run things while others blame all the issues for all their problems.

#599 5 months ago
    Quoted from meSz:

The difference is, some business owners adapt and change the way they run things while others blame all the issues for all their problems

Evolution is inevitable, your ability to adapt isn’t.

#600 5 months ago
    Quoted from LeonSpinkx:If I were to ever have the grave misfortune of winding up in Vegas again, Pinball Circus is about the only thing I'd go out of my way to see on my way out of town. Other than that, I get plenty of action here in Eugene,

Are we still talking about pinball??

There are 1,915 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 39.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-hall-of-fame-is-a-joke-/page/12?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.