Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,284 posts
  • 328 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 20 days ago by bob_e
  • Topic is favorited by 68 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

118614184-c8c62f00-b7bf-11eb-8eca-64cb32e069ea.gif
    dumb-and-dumber-lloyd.gif
    sp (resized).jpg
    IMG_8130 (resized).jpeg
    phof circus (resized).jpg
    phof joke (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 4.51.01 AM (resized).png
    IMG_0359 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0005 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_forum_4155659_1151402 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1708 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7785 (resized).JPG
    Tim (resized).jpg
    Steve (resized).jpg
    Marcia (resized).jpg
    latest (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 46.
    #451 10 months ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Whats your point? So you're saying PHOF draws customers from outside the area, and adds millions of dollars to the local economy? comparing an NFL, MLB, or NHL stadium to the PHOF isn't even close

Isn't part of the point of this thread that IF the PHoH were fulfilling its potential that it would, indeed, draw people from outside of Las Vegas and add millions of dollars to its local economy?

The PHoH is part of the draw for my family to go to Vegas and see my in-laws each year. I'd say, in dollar terms, that because we go to the PHoH nearly every day of our 5-7 day visits, that we likely spend 1-2 days more in Vegas than we would if the PHoH didn't exist at all. That probably translates to $500 extra that we pump into the local economy each year. And that's comparable to the revenue a sports arena brings in from visiting fans who come for one game.

#452 10 months ago
    Quoted from Nicholastree:

That probably translates to $500 extra that we pump into the local economy each year. And that's comparable to the revenue a sports arena brings in from visiting fans who come for one game.

Sure, except for every pinball enthusiast there are a thousand NFL fans. PHOF is just one of those cute little drop-in-the-bucket tourist sideshows, like the neon museum. (another place full of non-working old junk, hey-oh!)

#453 10 months ago

Maybe they should ask bang back pinball in SC how to maintain a game. The machines are clean and none of them had any issues.

#454 10 months ago

Isn't part of the point of this thread that IF the PHoH were fulfilling its potential that it would, indeed, draw people from outside of Las Vegas and add millions of dollars to its local economy?
    The PHoH is part of the draw for my family to go to Vegas and see my in-laws each year. I'd say, in dollar terms, that because we go to the PHoH nearly every day of our 5-7 day visits, that we likely spend 1-2 days more in Vegas than we would if the PHoH didn't exist at all. That probably translates to $500 extra that we pump into the local economy each year. And that's comparable to the revenue a sports arena brings in from visiting fans who come for one game.

Maybe a little....The guy used an analogy that sports franchises are publicly funded, which is true in many cases. That being said u can't compare the PHOF to any sports franchise ... very few people fly to Vegas to go to the PHOF versus tens of thousands attending professional sporting events and paying top dollar locally

Not remotely close .... considering there are probably 10,000 fans per 1 pinball enthusiast

#455 10 months ago

calling it PHOH has me L-ing OL

#456 10 months ago
    Quoted from canea:

The reasoning that PHOF is only for tourists who don't care if the games aren't working doesn't hold up. Go read the reviews (tripadvisor, google, yelp, etc.) and you'll find plenty of reviews from non-pinheads that mention the over-abundance of nonworking games.

The tourists outnumber them 100 to 1. They just don’t leave reviews. You would be shocked at the number of people that come through there in a week.

The VFW is probably 90% pinhead visitors. But I’m guessing that PHOF has at least 20x as many visitors overall.

#457 10 months ago
    Quoted from canea:

The reasoning that PHOF is only for tourists who don't care if the games aren't working doesn't hold up. Go read the reviews (tripadvisor, google, yelp, etc.) and you'll find plenty of reviews from non-pinheads that mention the over-abundance of nonworking games.

With the tourist turnover they don't need return customers. Tourists may care, but after spending coin drop. Evidently, it's enough one time visit coin drop to be doing very well.

#458 10 months ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I never even got my T-shirt...
    Robert

I would have given you mine but...

#459 10 months ago

Sounds as if it comes down to one thing, pride.

Too proud to accept more help and not enough pride in his business. I'd be embarrassed to own a place with that many non or partially functioning machines.

But that's just me.

#460 10 months ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Sounds as if it comes down to one thing, pride.

Or maybe (dis)honesty. Advertising all games available to play. Lie. Advertising meticulously maintained. Lie.

Call it what you want, but these facts cannot be disputed.

#461 10 months ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Or maybe (dis)honesty. Advertising all games available to play. Lie. Advertising meticulously maintained. Lie.

Tim has nothing to do with the website, an outside Marketing firm manages it. An arrangement was made as a donation to the PHoF when the first building opened at Tropicana & Pecos (Blue carpeting place).
    That may have transferred to another firm by now.

#462 10 months ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Yeah, why completely lie about the condition of the games on their website? Along with the very name of the place being misleading? Never mind who came up with them, ultimate responsibility lies with the place being advertised.

I mean, if they just came clean instead, it wouldn't leave such a sour taste in the mouths of those who actually like pinball, now would it? Especially pinheads who make a dedicated trip to Vegas expecting a true Hall of Fame experience and a level of operability vaguely like that promised on the website!

More like:

Welcome to the (unfortunately misnomered) PHOF! We have a shit ton of old games that are a bear to keep working with our all-volunteer crew of repair people, but admission is free, as is parking, and while you may not want to come here planning to play any specific game, you'll find plenty to play (most are only a quarter!), even more to look at and appreciate, and a cranky old guy in the back ready to pounce if you or your kids get too exuberant! All proceeds go to a problematic religion-based charity!

That was tongue-in-cheek, but you get the idea.

#463 10 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Tim has nothing to do with the website, an outside Marketing firm manages it.

That's an absurd statement. Tim has EVERYTHING to do with the website!

You're saying some third party decides what to write, and the PHOH has nothing to say about it?

#464 10 months ago

This thread's been going on 2 weeks and we have 2 or 3 of them a year.

It really touches a nerve but at the end of the day it is what it is. No point in getting angry about it.

If you think you can do better, start your own Pinball Hall of Whatever.

#465 10 months ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

You're saying some third party decides what to write, and the PHOH has nothing to say about it?

I'd find it hard to believe that TA would have any part in a 3rd party ANYTHING....control freak and all that......

#466 10 months ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

What am I missing on the car wash business ? How did this become a thing ? Are the margins like 100% or is it a money laundering scheme nationalized. Every week it seems a new car wash place is popping up at the corner of some intersection. Even the car wash that has been around for 15 years in my town just totally demolished their place to build a shinier new one in its place. I mean why not a dry cleaner or a new gas station or a subway shop on every corner ? Or maybe we did all those already.

Totally off topic but I was involved in a commercial real estate conference earlier this year and it was discussed at length. I'm not an expert in this area but it has something to do with securing low interest rate loans on unused/dilapidated commercial infill, appreciating the value of the land and then a flip/sell by the company financing the car washes. I have no idea how it all works out but obviously its a successful game for those playing it because it is literally happening EVERYWHERE.

Forgive me if I got anything wrong. I'm sure there are other Pinsiders with way more knowledge in this area - perhaps some financing car washes themselves - and I was only half-listening to the discussion.

#467 10 months ago

Something similar is going on with a new "brand" of coffee shop, I knew it was something like this but the actual mechanism is a bit out of my scope.

Quoted from anathematize:Totally off topic but I was involved in a commercial real estate conference earlier this year and it was discussed at length. I'm not an expert in this area but it has something to do with securing low interest rate loans on unused/dilapidated commercial infill, appreciating the value of the land and then a flip/sell by the company financing the car washes. I have no idea how it all works out but obviously its a successful game for those playing it because it is literally happening EVERYWHERE.
    Forgive me if I got anything wrong. I'm sure there are other Pinsiders with way more knowledge in this area - perhaps some financing car washes themselves - and I was only half-listening to the discussion.

#468 10 months ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

Getting back to having TA get some good, paid techs. It won't happen. A lot of people here (and not on here) don't understand is that TA has an "Us vs Them" mindset. He always has. What does that mean, you ask? It means that he feels he's unique, smarter than 99.9% of the population

This much became immediately evident when the man himself complained about techs not being able to "speak clearly or write legibly" as if that has anything to do with mechanical aptitude, passion, or knowledge of pinball. Beggars can't be choosers, right? Why turn away people who would be otherwise qualified because of those two silly reasons, when the help is obviously needed.

If they truly don't have the mechanical knowledge as Tim did cite (though it was last, after the aforementioned excuses) that's absolutely legitimate reason. But wanting people with a university education* to work for crumbs repairing pinball machines in a Vegas tourist trap is just setting yourself up for an understaffed nightmare.

Edit: *a high school level education would probably be a more appropriate example, as mentioned below in another comment.

#469 10 months ago

I don't want to get into a whole thing here but as an employer of engineer-all-the-way-down-to-unskilled workers, "speak clearly or write legibly" is not "silly" and certainly doesn't require a university education. I agree on 99% of everything about what's going on and even the beggars can't be choosers and if it's that bad take what you can get, all that...but if you can't communicate at some adult-plus level, I have beyond zero use for you.

Quoted from henhonk:

This much became immediately evident when the man himself complained about techs not being able to "speak clearly or write legibly" as if that has anything to do with mechanical aptitude, passion, or knowledge of pinball. Beggars can't be choosers, right? Why turn away people who would be otherwise qualified because of those two silly reasons, when the help is obviously needed.
    If they truly don't have the mechanical knowledge as Tim did cite (though it was last, after the aforementioned excuses) that's absolutely legitimate reason. But wanting people with a university education to work for crumbs repairing pinball machines in a Vegas tourist trap is just setting yourself up for an understaffed nightmare.

#470 10 months ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Absurd or not, at this time, Tim can't even log into the site. He can make a phone call and suggest what to put on the site, but lots of what you see on there is stuff that he had no editorial input on whatsoever.
    Example, the yellow banner on the home page awhile back.....

Screenshot_20230923_131736_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230923_131736_Gallery (resized).jpg
    #471 10 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

I don't want to get into a whole thing here but as an employer of engineer-all-the-way-down-to-unskilled workers, "speak clearly or write legibly" is not "silly" and certainly doesn't require a university education. I agree on 99% of everything about what's going on and even the beggars can't be choosers and if it's that bad take what you can get, all that...but if you can't communicate at some adult-plus level, I have beyond zero use for you.

Good point, I definitely could have gone for "high school level" or something like that, it'd be more apt. And I agree, it isn't silly to want to be able to communicate well with your employees.

I just think with that particular snippet of Tim's response in light of all the other issues, excuses, and the reputation of his personality... It felt very indicative of the larger issues at play, and how self-inflicted they might be.

#472 10 months ago

Speaking of speaking clearly....
    Here is my attempt:

That is some amateur hour bullshit right there. Mmkay.

Quoted from MrBally:

Absurd or not, at this time, Tim can't even log into the site. He can make a phone call and suggest what to put on the site, but lots of what you see on there is stuff that he had no editorial input on whatsoever.
    Example, the yellow banner on the home page awhile back.....
    [quoted image]

#473 10 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

Speaking of speaking clearly....
    Here is my attempt:
    That is some amateur hour bullshit right there. Mmkay.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, how would you like me to prove that Tim has little to no input on the current PHoF website? I'm just trying to show that what I mentiond above has been called absurd.

#474 10 months ago

I don't care who has input on the site and my comment has nothing to do with you and only to do with what kind of a jackoff leaves notes to the owner about delivering parts. Literally asking guests to remind him on a public post. I've not seen anything that stupid in a while. 1000% unrelated to you or anything except the ridiculousness of them doing such a thing.

Quoted from MrBally:

How would you like me to prove that Tim has little to no input on the current PHoF website? I'm just trying to show that what I mentiond above has been called absurd.

#475 10 months ago

You are.

Quoted from MrBally:Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, how would you like me to prove that Tim has little to no input on the current PHoF website? I'm just trying to show that what I mentiond above has been called absurd.

#476 10 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

I don't care who has input on the site and my comment has nothing to do with you and only to do with what kind of a jackoff leaves notes to the owner about delivering parts. Literally asking guests to remind him on a public forum. I've not seen anything that stupid in a while. 1000% unrelated to you or anything except the ridiculousness of them doing such a thing.

Got it. By the way, that little banner did the trick.....

#477 10 months ago

Heh. Full on douchebaggery for the win.

Quoted from MrBally:Got it. By the way, that little banner did the trick.....

#478 10 months ago

My wife is a website designer and it is rare to have that level of access anyways because it so easy to screw something up if you don’t know what you’re doing. Kind of like pinball repair that Tim is so hugely concerned about.

The bottom line is not one thing exists on that webpage that has not already been said, implied, or projected by the owner.

Add “not having access” to the long list of excuses he works from. I’m sure he’s fine with it…

#479 10 months ago

I'm surprised anyone maintains that site. A high school student in 1 hour could make the website look like it isn't from 1995.

#480 10 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Tim has little to no input on the current PHoF website? I'm just trying to show that what I mentiond above has been called absurd.

I meant the thought seems absurd that an owner of a business has little to no input on the website. I was referring to the content, not the website design or access to the site for edits. I gotta believe that Tim wrote the content describing the PHOF. And if he didn't write the content, then surely he approved the final content.

#481 10 months ago
    Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

I'm surprised anyone maintains that site. A high school student in 1 hour could make the website look like it isn't from 1995.

Quoted from jrcmlc:

Heh. Full on douchebaggery for the win.

I'll let the douchebag know. Actually, he knows....

7b70f08e70af526b6aa5b42ffe3fac3f8931ac66 (resized).png7b70f08e70af526b6aa5b42ffe3fac3f8931ac66 (resized).png
    #482 10 months ago
    Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

I'll bet the high school student would want to be paid.

#483 10 months ago

My biggest question is Tim is making a HUGE pile of money. Why can’t he hire two or three full time techs that can keep the games up? Not for profit of not people still get paid in a not for profit. He can’t use the excuse that he can’t pay them. It’s all absurd to me. I mean seriously my grail is Banzai Run. He has one on site thst I have NEVER seen turned on at any site he’s ever had as ponball hall of fame and I’ve been there dozens of times. That’s pathetic at best. We are talking over ten years. Maybe it’s been on but that’s weird that I just can’t ever catch it turned on, there just is zero excuse to not have these games playable,

Quoted from MrBally:

I'll bet the high school student would want to be paid.

And Tim can absolutely afford to pay him.

#484 10 months ago

I grew up in the small town where the National Ski Hall of Fame is located. It's OK, and a decent tourist draw, but nothing spectacular.
    I'm wondering if there's a forum somewhere with repeated arguments about how it should be run.

https://skihall.com/

#485 10 months ago
    Quoted from Squeakman:

Why can’t he hire two or three full time techs that can keep the games up?

It's not that he can't, it's that he won't. He'll just keep making excuses while riding his sinking ship. It's a matter of time until 95% of the games don't work or are hardly playable and it actually starts to tangibly affect coin drop.

#486 10 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Tim has nothing to do with the website, an outside Marketing firm manages it.

At best it looks like a blog made by some middle schooler who went to the PHOF on a field trip - although we know Tim would have kicked all the kids out within a few minutes of arrival.

#487 10 months ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

At best it looks like a blog made by some middle schooler who went to the PHOF on a field trip - although we know Tim would have kicked all the kids out within a few minutes of arrival.

Agreed.....

#488 10 months ago

Is there a legit excuse to have a modern jjp pin in a location like phof that is trashed and play field wore out, at 1.00 a play has that machine not brought in say 20,000 plays times 1.00 I would think these are the machines that bring in all the money any way.

#489 10 months ago

I'm sure I am repeating the same broken record that must have been stated somewhere in the last 10 years of threads but here goes (btw the search function for Pinside still sucks Robin - can't you do anything about it ?).

Tim Arnold is who he is. If he was not who he was PHOF likely wouldn't have existed. If he was not who he was then quite possibly my own arcade would not have existed, because I would have never wandered into PHOF. I am probably not alone in that regard. The point is that you have to take the good with the bad. Its is for all of us an intersecting Venn diagram of circumstance, who we are, what our lives experiences are that lead us to some place in life. Some of it is volitional, much of it is not. Some of it is good, some definitely bad.

As a group we want Tim to be someone who he is not, with the goal of having what he has delivered be something different than it is. Sorry, you get the good with the bad. The bad being Tim is extremely frugal, he doesn't like others unless certified experts in his mind touching his machines, he would rather there be 100 out of order signs on the machines than plot some other course of action available to him that would lead to a different outcome. Flip that around, if Tim wasn't who he was, PHOF in its current less than perfect incarnation probably doesn't exist (ie he freely spent more than he took in in the early years, he expanded too soon, he doesn't buy the building he is in and get his rent jacked by some landlord trying to extract more profit forcing him to close down, he never collected hundreds of machines before their pricing went thru the roof, he doesn't decide to plant a flagpole in Vegas, but Banning CA instead.

If we all hold a mirror up to ourselves and are honest we are a mixture of both positive things and negative things. And frankly most of us don't even acknowledge the negative things, and even if we recognize the negative things either can't or don't want to do anything about those not so great attributes.

If 10 years worth of pinside complaints has not moved the needle, it seems unlikely another 5 years worth will do so. The pins will be not working well, the website will be 10 years out of date, the slight hypocrisy in some statements about the aspirations of PHOF will remain evident, the excuses which digging below the surface really are tangential to the issues at hand will stay the same. Survival (which Tim very much does care about) is probably the only thing that will make him do something different if it comes to that. We aren't there and probably won't ever get there. He is by all accounts running a successful business here, even if complaints would suggest otherwise.

Enjoy PHOF for what it is, don't go if its too painful recognizing what it is not, celebrate Tim for the positive contributions he has made to the hobby, and try to put aside the ways in which he failed. That's all any of us can do, and that's OK.

#490 10 months ago
    Quoted from bankmansam:

Is there a legit excuse to have a modern jjp pin in a location like phof that is trashed and play field wore out, at 1.00 a play has that machine not brought in say 20,000 plays times 1.00 I would think these are the machines that bring in all the money any way.

The main aisle and the Stern old trade show display area brings in the majority of pin play/coin drop. That's why priority is given to keeping those games up and running.
    The kiddie cranes and T-shirt sales make up the rest. Even when most of the EM's were up and running, T-shirt sales made more.

#491 10 months ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

I'm sure I am repeating the same broken record that must have been stated somewhere in the last 10 years of threads but here goes (btw the search function for Pinside still sucks Robin - can't you do anything about it ?).
    Tim Arnold is who he is. If he was not who he was PHOF likely wouldn't have existed. If he was not who he was then quite possibly my own arcade would not have existed, because I would have never wandered into PHOF. I am probably not alone in that regard. The point is that you have to take the good with the bad. Its is for all of us an intersecting Venn diagram of circumstance, who we are, what our lives experiences are that lead us to some place in life. Some of it is volitional, much of it is not. Some of it is good, some definitely bad.
    As a group we want Tim to be someone who he is not, with the goal of having what he has delivered be something different than it is. Sorry, you get the good with the bad. The bad being Tim is extremely frugal, he doesn't like others unless certified experts in his mind touching his machines, he would rather there be 100 out of order signs on the machines than plot some other course of action available to him that would lead to a different outcome. Flip that around, if Tim wasn't who he was, PHOF in its current less than perfect incarnation probably doesn't exist (ie he freely spent more than he took in in the early years, he expanded too soon, he doesn't buy the building he is in and get his rent jacked by some landlord trying to extract more profit forcing him to close down, he never collected hundreds of machines before their pricing went thru the roof, he doesn't decide to plant a flagpole in Vegas, but Banning CA instead.
    If we all hold a mirror up to ourselves and are honest we are a mixture of both positive things and negative things. And frankly most of us don't even acknowledge the negative things, and even if we recognize the negative things either can't or don't want to do anything about those not so great attributes.
    If 10 years worth of pinside complaints has not moved the needle, it seems unlikely another 5 years worth will do so. The pins will be not working well, the website will be 10 years out of date, the slight hypocrisy in some statements about the aspirations of PHOF will remain evident, the excuses which digging below the surface really are tangential to the issues at hand will stay the same. Survival (which Tim very much does care about) is probably the only thing that will make him do something different if it comes to that. We aren't there and probably won't ever get there. He is by all accounts running a successful business here, even if complaints would suggest otherwise.
    Enjoy PHOF for what it is, don't go if its too painful recognizing what it is not, celebrate Tim for the positive contributions he has made to the hobby, and try to put aside the ways in which he failed. That's all any of us can do, and that's OK.

VERY well stated-I cannot disagree with what you've expressed.

#492 10 months ago

There are a couple of these threads a year.
    Each time, Pinsiders come out to solve the problems of the PHOF.

The best I can tell, the owner does not want and has no use for the advice. Go if you like it. I haven’t noticed any real change, besides the location, in the dozen or so years I’ve been going there. I’m not complaining, just noting my observation.

I don’t gamble, or at least don’t really enjoy it. When I’m in Las Vegas, I find the PHOF a nice way to spend a few hours.

#493 10 months ago

Can we please wrap this up in 7 posts and mods close it at 500???,,??????

#494 10 months ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Can we please wrap this up in 7 posts and mods close it at 500???,,??????

Why?

#495 10 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

The main aisle and the Stern old trade show display area brings in the majority of pin play/coin drop. That's why priority is given to keeping those games up and running.
    The kiddie cranes and T-shit sales make up the rest. Even when most of the EM's were up and running, T-shirt sales made more.

The t-shirts are cool!

#496 10 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

The kiddie cranes and T-shit sales make up the rest. Even when most of the EM's were up and running, T-shirt sales made more.

I always enjoyed this post from Tim Arnold in one of the many other Pinside threads about this same topic.

I would like to remind everyone that the ONLY reason we can devote a large amount of our expensive floor space to QUARTER EM GAMES is because the merch and toys pull the weight of the money losing EM's. A compromise, sure! But one that taxes the STUPID (crane players) and rewards the SMART. (value menu EM players)

#497 10 months ago

I need the beating dead horse gif.
    Tim is Tim, things are never going to change.
    I can't wait for 2 more threads like this in 2024.

#498 10 months ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I need the beating dead horse gif.
    Tim is Tim, things are never going to change.
    I can't wait for 2 more threads like this in 2024.

Then why are you here commenting? Seems you could just not click on this and future threads and solve your problem.

#499 10 months ago
    Quoted from Squeakman:

Then why are you here commenting? Seems you could just not click on this and future threads and solve your problem.

Good question. I've known Tim for 20 plus years.
    I've been to all 3 locations during that time....I'd say I'm in the 50's attendance wise.
    He created something many dream about here.
    His dedication and time, no one will ever beat.
    Even volunteerd a few times at Tropicana local.
    There really should be more Thank You threads.

#500 10 months ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

As a group we want Tim to be someone who he is not, with the goal of having what he has delivered be something different than it is.

This point is well stated. In my opinion this is exactly true.

There are 2,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.