(Topic ID: 230549)

Pinball Hall of Fame - Bitch Festival! Drip your tears here!

By vid1900

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3662 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3661 (resized).jpg
    2nxoo5.jpg
    198044-425x349-Beautiful-Bulldog (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    BAC88A39-7C0D-4846-A71D-1C22F20BF939.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fanuminski.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 5 years ago

there's an old saying that perception is reality. If one perceives the PHOF to be a nostalgic place of Arcade/pinball - that's wonderful.
    If one perceives it otherwise, they have and are entitled to their opinion.
    I'm an older fart in my 60's that grew up with pinball and the excitement of what it brought - especially every year when the State fair was in town
    for 10 days and the Arcade land full of 5 ball - 3 games for 25 cent pinball machines and penny arcade games were present.
    I loved those times.
    When I visited the PHOF for my first time maybe 7 years ago I couldn't wait to get there. A 20 dollar cab ride (before Uber was present)put me there before it opened
    and I waited with others outside the door until it opened. I saw the great line up of pins (smile on my face). I went to the older EM row
    and walked the aisle (smile on my face) . I picked out a game to play and reached into my pocket full of quarters
    and started playing. I Notice a severe lean to the left as the ball came down the PF. no big deal...I'll try another. A few games later I lost
    a quarter in the coin mech - no big deal. a few games later the game I was playing died in the middle of my last ball. no big deal but a bit
    frustrating as I had just lit the special.
    After spending 3 hours there, I had another cab ride back. Spent $60 for 3 hours of fun.
    Since that time, I've only been back there one other time.
    I've also read a lot about the place here on Pinside. and about Tim. and about his charitable giving etc..
    I've read about his opening a new PHOF with twice the games - and close to the main strip "action".

My perception of the place was that it wasn't well maintained.
    Quite frankly, I was a bit appalled and surprised to learn of
    the income it (has) generated - but yet the lack of staff to maintain the games. I don't understand that part.
    At the very least, can't the games be leveled I thought. I would be embarrassed to have people over to my
    place to play my modest lineup to have games not level and/or not working right.

I've enjoyed the arcades from the 60's - but I was also in my early teens and didn't know a well maintained
    machine from poorly set up one. one would think that you would want to give young kids the best of
    both worlds if possible - and show them games in their grandeur.

Just my honest opinion.
    I won't go back to the PHOF most likely in its' current state -but will certainly try
    out the new location (if I'm alive) .

I also see both sides of the coin - and will entitle people to their own perception without berating or belittling their opinion

M

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

You said you paid $20 each way and $20 at the Museum, playing quarter games. One game was slanted (but you could still play it), One game died in the middle of the last ball after you had played most of it, and one game took your quarter.
    So you lost 3 quarters (we'll be generous) out of 80. And you, years later, still complain about it when given the opportunity.
    If I were Tim, I'd sell off the collection and go out of business. Tim won't do that, though, because he's more concerned about raising money for charity, and keeping Pinball alive than he is pleasing every customer 100% of the time.
    This is a great example of why older machines aren't operated anymore though. At least with a modern machine the coin mechs are more likely to work properly and the game likely won't reset. If Tim only operated modern machines, he might be able to get his satisfactory game level up from 77/80 (96.25%) to more lik.e 78/80 (97.5%).

maybe you should re-read my post. my point was that anyones opinion is just that. their perception is what is being conveyed.
    i enjoyed my first trip there. sure it cost me 60 for three hours of fun.
    the 3 instances of losing quarters was in the first 1/2 hour - there were many more examples. i didnt ask for money back nor complain
    to Tim. just went to find other games there to play. my perception was one of disappointment. and that , after hearing of all the income
    its generated, that the games werent kept in better playing condition. thats all. others have stated similar thoughts. its still a great place
    to visit and see... at least once.
    again, people have the right to express their opinion.
    no tears ...just facts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fanuminski.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-hall-of-fame-bitch-festival-drip-your-tears-here?tu=fanuminski and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.