(Topic ID: 33276)

Pinball glass woes

By Venom_249

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Just finished my twilight zone restore this week and opened up my "brand new" glass I snatched up from Kingsport auction a few months back (yeah I know, project got side tracked) Surprise!! "brand new" wide body glass was super used well scratched up and had gunk still on from a previous lock bar..........guess that's why it was an inch deep in plastic wrap?

It gets better! After receiving my new Playfield glass from a local glass shop last night I find a huge emblem in the bottom corner etched in alerting me it's tempered, where it came from, and plenty more information I didn't want to read while playing pinball........oh well live and learn

#2 11 years ago

Two strikes...
    Bad luck dude.

#3 11 years ago

I will help with glass. pinballglass.com Venom has great examples of the stupidity in the glass business.

#4 11 years ago

I thought safety glass was required to have markings, thanks to liability issues.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

I thought safety glass was required to have markings, thanks to liability issues.

I ordered mine without markings. The glass company gave me the option.

#6 11 years ago

Usually it gets etched and you have to specify if you don't want it..

#7 11 years ago

Not to beat a dead horse, but tempered/safety glass is required to have markings, as its primary use is for low floor-to-base installation in businesses and residences. You need to specify that you want it made without and assume that liability. Sorry to hear about the first trouble as you definitely got duped there.

10 months later
    #8 10 years ago

You can always order tempered glass with out the "bug" on it. When placing your order ask to have "no bug" on the tempered glass (the bug is the making stating it is tempered)

If you have tempered glass installed installed in a commercial setting such as a glass door or window the bug must be on the glass. Since most tempered glass is installed in commercial settings it is assumed you want the bug on the glass.

#9 10 years ago

Yep, always ask for no bug.

Bathroom windows in/above tubs or showers, skylights and doors need the bug so the building inspector can give CoO.

You don't need the bug for pinball, aquariums, cold frames......

#10 10 years ago

I recently ordered my tempered glass from a local company. I never thought to ask about the etching. Mine came without it lucky for me!

#11 10 years ago

Picking mine up tomorrow from a local shop, you can request no marking if you want. It is not required.

#12 10 years ago

Put it in the machine the other way.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-glass-woes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.