(Topic ID: 169895)

Pinball game with the best "modes". Thoughts?

By delt31

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Pimp77
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 3 years ago

If you're considering BSD, I'd add White Water to your list as well. As for modes, it's not really a "mode" based game in the traditional sense, but whirlpool awards have varied modes like Whirlpool Challenge, and Man Overboard, that force the player to make accurate shots. Hot Foot Big Foot mode forces the player to make consecutive combos, and the supremely stackable 5x multiplier is the cherry on top of any mode and multiball.

Couple that with the general rules that force the player to literally utilize every shot of the playfield equally, and you have a game that can play in the big leagues.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I’m also thinking about scared stiff

Scared Stiff is a brilliant game, but I've always thought the modes were a little lackluster. They're less "modes" than they are "things you have to do to get to the end of the game."

For example, 2 of the 6 tales are just things you'd do regardless--like "Return of the Deadheads" is just lighting the 3 rollover lanes, and "The Monster's Lab" is just hitting a bunch of pop bumpers.

Just my 2 cents.

#51 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Are true modes all that important? Seems like they are more often ignored to work towards bigger things like mb or wizard modes.

That's what makes WH2O so brilliant, imho. Sure, you can skip literally all the whirlpool awards and modes, and just go for rafts, and you'll still get to Wet Willies, and you'll still get a hearty jackpot after completing stage 2, but you won't get THE jackpot. You can only get that by playing every single mode and completing every objective the game has to offer, and it must be done in a somewhat specific order.

Alas, the Op isn't interested in the game anyway. That's cool though, different strokes!

I forgot about LOTR, though. That game is so mode driven and deep, there's a PAPA video that's nearly an hour long, and they STILL didn't complete the game. OP, to me LOTR is a game you'd really be able to sink your teeth into nice and deep without getting bored quickly.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 300.00
    Tools
    PinDoc Restorations
    $ 30.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 64.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Lermods
    $ 150.00
    Various Other Swag
    Pinside Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.00
    $ 199.99
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 125.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    Rock Custom Pinball
    £ 50.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 45.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 18.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 28.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside