(Topic ID: 169895)

Pinball game with the best "modes". Thoughts?

By delt31

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Pimp77
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider delt31.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I'm ready to buy another pin and having a hard time deciding on which one. I like pins that have modes (not just shots) but more importantly modes that I diverse/interesting. I've owned TAF, Jurassic, TZ and was thinking of getting one of the following:

BSD - are there even modes though?
    IJ Williams - A lot of modes but almost all seem like left or right ramps.
    Wizard of Oz - Not sure about this one.
    Baywatch - if I can get passed the terrible theme, seems like it has some varied shots and modes.
    Metallica - hear so much good about it but not familiar with modes.

Any suggestions? Even sleepers could be helpful.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

IJ is the only choice out of those

Just curious why?

Also - what about TSPP?

and does BSD really not have any modes besides video?

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

If you're considering BSD, I'd add White Water to your list as well. As for modes, it's not really a "mode" based game in the traditional sense, but whirlpool awards have varied modes like Whirlpool Challenge, and Man Overboard, that force the player to make accurate shots. Hot Foot Big Foot mode forces the player to make consecutive combos, and the supremely stackable 5x multiplier is the cherry on top of any mode and multiball.
    Couple that with the general rules that force the player to literally utilize every shot of the playfield equally, and you have a game that can play in the big leagues.

Thanks and I want to like that game but cannot stand the commentator.

#8 7 years ago

Thanks. No interest in mustang though. Some good info above. I’m also thinking about scared stiff and monopoly.

Ultimately I’m trying to not get bored too fast!

#29 7 years ago

wow - a lot of good suggestions guys. I owned LOTR and didn't like it - maybe it's the theme but really couldn't get into it. Never owned but same with Hobbit and STNG - theme kills me.

Here's what I'm currently looking at:

XMEN - know nothing about this. Thought it was a good pin but never tried it. Modes are good eh?
    WOZ -
    TSPP -
    Metallica - again heard so many good things about it. What exactly makes it special?
    Baywatch - theme kills me but it's so cheap! Batman Forever falls in the same bucket - not sure modes are in that though.
    IJ - need to play this more b/c I want to buy it but it just seemed boring based on my initial plays. Couldn't see half the PF (top) which I didn't like.
    SS - would be #1 but I'm very concerned about getting bored too fast. Everyone says it's so simply.

I'm looking for variety - something that is going to keep home use going.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I'd take Metallica off your list if you're looking for something mode based. The CIU modes are great but you don't see them all that often.
    If you're looking for modes I'd recommend one of the following:
    RFM- Tons of modes with unique objectives and the added flash of the Pin2K system.-somewhat linear is the main downside
    Ghostbusters- One of the better mode based pins of recent past. unique objectives, different mode ladders, etc. Somewhat linear as well.
    Roadshow - lots of modes with good variety but again pretty linear
    Spider-man - Lyman is particularly known for creating rule-sets that are mode based but SM is one of them. You have all the boss modes plus the white modes.
    My favorite mode based games of all time are LOTR and STTNG but it appears you have already ruled both out.

Thanks! Ghostbusters is already ordered. What an amazing pin (theme, modes, etc).

I might have to look at STTNG again. TSPP is leading it right now - might play it shortly to confirm. Indy 500 need to look into that too. Any thoughts on monopoly?

#53 7 years ago

So I played some machines on this list and determined IJ and TSPP were my top choices. Actually leaning towards IJ b/c the sound effects and overall them of the simpsons doesn't do as much for me. IJ seemed really hard which I kind of liked but didn't at the same time! Ball time compared to TSPP was much shorter.

I played a little GOT and for someone who never watched the show, the pin seemed good. Anyone want to chime in on pros and cons?

Monster Bash was pretty good too - abit a little cheesy

#59 7 years ago

So I just looked into mustang and it's giving me a getaway vibe. Is that right? I thought this game was bad?

Also any saving grace with WWF? Heard the same Amit it being terrible although like the old school theme on the limited

#65 7 years ago

Narrowed down to 4 now:

IJ
    WOZ
    TSPP (assuming Homer's doh can be turned off)
    Metallica

Interested in peoples rankings.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider delt31.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-game-with-the-best-modes-thoughts?tu=delt31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.