(Topic ID: 169895)

Pinball game with the best "modes". Thoughts?

By delt31

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Pimp77
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Are true modes all that important? Seems like they are more often ignored to work towards bigger things like mb or wizard modes.

That's what makes WH2O so brilliant, imho. Sure, you can skip literally all the whirlpool awards and modes, and just go for rafts, and you'll still get to Wet Willies, and you'll still get a hearty jackpot after completing stage 2, but you won't get THE jackpot. You can only get that by playing every single mode and completing every objective the game has to offer, and it must be done in a somewhat specific order.

Alas, the Op isn't interested in the game anyway. That's cool though, different strokes!

I forgot about LOTR, though. That game is so mode driven and deep, there's a PAPA video that's nearly an hour long, and they STILL didn't complete the game. OP, to me LOTR is a game you'd really be able to sink your teeth into nice and deep without getting bored quickly.

#52 3 years ago

There's a couple of votes for TWD in here, and I just don't agree.

While there are 5 story modes in the game, code wise there are really only 2.

Barn/Riot/Arena are all hit 1 shot repeatedly. Arena has the slight mod that you can cash it out.
    CDC/Tunnel are hit shot, hit other shots to build value, then try to hit main shot again to cash out.

TWD is great because of the way it all meshes together, but not because the standard modes are anything special.

I'm sure someone will say Horde and LMS are awesome, and they are, but they're wizard modes and I don't think they really qualify for this discussion.

#53 3 years ago

So I played some machines on this list and determined IJ and TSPP were my top choices. Actually leaning towards IJ b/c the sound effects and overall them of the simpsons doesn't do as much for me. IJ seemed really hard which I kind of liked but didn't at the same time! Ball time compared to TSPP was much shorter.

I played a little GOT and for someone who never watched the show, the pin seemed good. Anyone want to chime in on pros and cons?

Monster Bash was pretty good too - abit a little cheesy

#54 3 years ago

STTNG hands down.
    Real modes that are diverse and challenging. With an added bonus of Final Frontier.

Axl

#55 3 years ago

The OP has asked why Metallica is a good game.....simple answer is it is just a fun pin. Lots of multiballs, great call outs. Some good animations. I believe you have to actually complete all 4 CIU modes to get to End of the Line wizard mode. Go play it for yourself if you can...it's the only way you will know if it's for you. For me it just never gets old and still has that one more game feeling.

#56 3 years ago

GoT is an excellent choice too. Many different ways to attack that game. I like the pro version, don't care for the premium with the upper playfield.

#57 3 years ago

Personally I do not enjoy wide body games such as IJ. The game play is slow and clunky.....as an exception I do like TZ, WOZ, and the Hobbit.

GOT is OK but skilled players can get bored....once you learn the rules you can progress through the game and get huge scores.....it's a fun shooter......but I prefer TWD over GOT.

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

So I played some machines on this list and determined IJ and TSPP were my top choices. Actually leaning towards IJ b/c the sound effects and overall them of the simpsons doesn't do as much for me. IJ seemed really hard which I kind of liked but didn't at the same time! Ball time compared to TSPP was much shorter.
    I played a little GOT and for someone who never watched the show, the pin seemed good. Anyone want to chime in on pros and cons?
    Monster Bash was pretty good too - abit a little cheesy

Six modes, multiple multiballs. Can stack two modes and a multiball. None of the modes are very complex (shoot the shot, shoot all the shots, shoot the sequence of shots), but they give a good variety and make you shoot around. They would have decent points, except due to GoT's crazy multipliers any multiball can become a multi-billion point affair if you're lucky. Same problem as IJ with half the playfield being wasted, even on the Pro (better version,personally), and it's also very drainy.

#59 3 years ago

So I just looked into mustang and it's giving me a getaway vibe. Is that right? I thought this game was bad?

Also any saving grace with WWF? Heard the same Amit it being terrible although like the old school theme on the limited

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

So I just looked into mustang and it's giving me a getaway vibe. Is that right? I thought this game was bad?
    Also any saving grace with WWF? Heard the same Amit it being terrible although like the old school theme on the limited

Mustang is awesome. Fun, varied modes with great flow. Pinball browser is a must. Theme is polarizing which is why there isn't much love, but it's a great pin.

#61 3 years ago

Good question.....All the years, all these games, a few modes from each game come to mind....most all mentioned here, but Ill add Junkyard. I got addicted to the modes on the playfield and the mountain of video modes.

But today, with whats home the game as a whole that I am taxed to complete, the modes, that have me hooked, is
    Big Buck Hunter. Simply Campy, and for some reason, hard for me to get them done in a game.

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Mustang coding and gameplay is generally known in the community as quite enjoyable. Where it gets dinged (fairly or unfairly) is that Mustang is a rather average theme for many, so it ends up rated lower overall.

#63 3 years ago

The Shadow has cool modes and a great wizard mode.

#64 3 years ago

I thought the campy schlock of Monster Bash is what made it so freaking cool, it's like a Sci-fi B movie...great game.

#65 3 years ago

Narrowed down to 4 now:

IJ
    WOZ
    TSPP (assuming Homer's doh can be turned off)
    Metallica

Interested in peoples rankings.

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

random but anyway to turn off homer's d'oh sound during that frenzy? it's very annoying.
    Also - can someone explain the modes in WOZ as I think that's in the top 3. Thanks

No one can explain the modes in WOZ

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Narrowed down to 4 now:
    IJ
    WOZ
    Metallica

WOZ gets my vote from that list. Here's what you get with WOZ:
    - crystal ball modes: 4 (2-ball) multiball modes + mini wizard multiball for doing all 4. These multiball modes effect the physical game in some manner; flippers, lights, etc... but offer 2X scoring in return.

- haunted modes: 4 modes + mini wizard haunted multiball for doing all 4. These are side objective modes that will increase scoring for different aspects of the game; targets, bumpers, etc...

- rescue multiball: one of the main multiballs in the game with extremely deep rules

- emerald city multiball: the other main multiball with not so deep, but fun, rules.

- witch modes: 3 witch modes. One is a hurry up mode, not too special. Fireball frenzy - super cool and deep. And BTWW (battle the wicked witch) - one of the coolest modes you'll ever play in any pin.

- munchkin modes: 4 modes that are creative, fun, and deep.

So that's approximately 17 modes. All of the above mentioned modes can stack with one another which really makes the pin shine and takes it to the next level. The modes aren't quite your traditional chase the flashing light mode; they're very unique which keeps the variety of the game very non repetitive.
    EDIT: not only are the modes stackable with one another but so are their multiballs (minus BTWW), so you can have 4 multiball modes going at once which equates to absolute fun and CHAOS!

As for the others.
    Metallica isn't much of a mode based game. The 4 CIU modes are cool, but a bit repetitive over time. Seek &I destroy is a bad ass mode but you won't see it very often depending on your skill level. Basically, all the cool modes in Metallica take a grind to get to, but rightfully so as it's a music themed pin and there needs to be good filler time for music and fun rather than quick transitions from mode to mode.

TSPP is one of the best mode based games around. Unfortunately, gameplay and theme kind of killed this one for me so I don't know too much about the uniqueness or depth of all the modes going on.

IJ; haven't played but not much desire due to the slow gameplay.

Honorable mentions:
    XMEN: fantastic mode based game! If wolverine figure, magneto call outs, and a few other call outs don't ruin the game for you (they did me), then this is a fantastic choice. I prefer pro over le for gameplay, but the LE has fantastic aesethitics due to color changing GI and the spinning disk.

STTNG: another fantastic mode based game if the theme is up your alley.

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

GOT is not the best mode based game IMO. There's only a few modes that are fun doing solo, the others are best played in multiball. That doesn't mean it's a bad game, it's fun! Just not very mode eccentric. however; Hand of the King, iron throne, and targaryan 3 are fantastic modes.

As for mustang. Fantastic mode based game! Pin is only worth getting though if you know how to change the music in pinball browser.

#69 3 years ago

TSPP got to the point that I had no idea how many modes were going on at the same time or what to shoot for, if not everything. It was too deep and got less fun the better I did on it.

#70 3 years ago

From the 4 you have listed now metallica is the best , but I would not consider it a mode based game . I would go IJ or Woz .I agree with Rondogg on the simpsons I once played a 45 minute game on a simpsons and a half hour in I was so bored I really just wanted to walk away but I knew I was going to see stuff I'd probably never see again and I would get the grand champion score on this particular game so I stuck with it . I got the grand champion score but have no desire to ever play the game again .

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mahoyvan:

Are there any games where you HAVE to finish all the modes to get to the wizard mode? I'm not talking timing them out, but actually beating them.
    I know that RBION is close in a sense that you have to complete a mode to get a letter. However, you don't exactly have to finish all of the individual ones to get to Atlantis... You could very well burn through all of them and keep beating the one you're good at (7 times?).
    Does LOTR require you to finish all the modes to get somewhere?

Monster bash modes must also be completed to achieve wizard mode.

#72 3 years ago

Everybody ignored Baywatch. My guess is that few have played it. Yes, the theme is horrible! Having to look at hot chicks on the back glass is just awful Seriously the theme ends up being a generic lifeguard or rescue them and doesn't bother me at all even though I hate the show.

It has a lot of great shots and the modes are varied. 7 modes, 1 wizard mode, 2 video modes, and a really good multiball.

Definitely the best bang for the buck of your original list. The only bad part is the modes don't stack and they some of them aren't worth The risk vs reward.

GoT has great stackable modes and I agree with others that the strategy involved with how to attack the game is amazing.

STtNG or Judge Dredd are great mode based games. JD's wizard mode is a bit of a let down though I agree.

No one mentioned Addams Family? Maybe you already own that one. Been a while since I read OP.

#73 3 years ago

GOT is a great mode game I think. In a way every battle is a mode and I really like that you have to hit the lit shots to complete a house. Control and accuracy is a must plus put a lot of strategy in and you have a fun fun game.

#74 3 years ago

Shadow has some extremely challenging modes.

JD is a beast though, 9 fun and unique modes, plus an extra 3 for Supergame!

#75 3 years ago

I really like how B/W added ending animations on some of their game modes.
    Shadow
    "Punish the Guilty" shoot concrete block off Tam's feet.
    "Farley Claymore" throw Farley thru window.
    "Duel of Wills" grab / control the phurba.
    Indiana Jones
    "Survive the rope bridge" Cut the bridge / guys fall.
    "Tank Chase" Tank goes off cliff.
    Wish more games did this. I prefer less modes, but fully complete like these are. Both these games get my vote.

#76 3 years ago

IJ by far

#77 3 years ago

TSPP has the best mode in pinball with Alien Invasion. I agree that the rest of the regular modes are ignored as you're always trying to relight the TV and stack as many as possible rather than ever actually focusing on playing the mode itself.

STTNG has the advantage of offering a huge incentive to complete modes to earn the artifacts. The modes themselves are sort of hit and miss as far as how interesting they are. (Time Warp...yawn...)

RFM is similar as you need to complete modes to earn saucer lights to be able to access the mega-fun wizard mode. The modes themselves are funny, but not terribly interesting outside of bowling and the space invaders mode.

Not a lot out there, but I really enjoy the modes in BoP 2.0

#78 3 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

TSPP has the best mode in pinball with Alien Invasion. I agree that the rest of the regular modes are ignored as you're always trying to relight the TV and stack as many as possible rather than ever actually focusing on playing the mode itself.

There is incentive to complete the TV modes on TSPP. For every mode you complete you gain victory laps of 100K points on every shot you make on top of whatever other scoring happens to be running. Not to mention the more modes you complete the more time you are given at the start of Alien Invasion.

#79 3 years ago

Modes?

Yea, the hobbit. Much better than tspp.

#80 3 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Narrowed down to 4 now:
    IJ
    WOZ
    Metallica

WOZ is awesome, but it doesn't really have traditional modes where you advance through a scene...The Hobbit has them in spades though I guess it isn't on your list. The WOZ modes are more points based versus objective based. Most of the modes are timed versus having an "end" to them. I wouldn't say MET is really mode based either. It has some, but they're a minor part of that game.
    So that leaves IJ and TSPP. IJ is a clunky, slow turd IMO. TSPP has that early Stern clunky feel to it, but the rules are fantastic. TSPP for the win.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 16.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 219.00
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 27.99
    $ 3.00
    Cabinet Parts
    PinBoltCaps
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 38.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 27.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.95
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 12.00
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 45.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 92.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside