(Topic ID: 280739)

Pinball game room in a metal building?

By clemsongrr

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I badly need a 30x40 building for my pinball collection. With costs going out of sight it looks like maybe $100k or more for a finished stick built building. The other alternative is a heavy metal building well insulated for maybe $45k. Obviously a stick built is better but has anyone used a metal building for their collection? Thanks for your advice

#2 3 years ago

Can’t put any specific names out but I’m pretty certain I’ve read about several metal structure build outs on here.. there was a gigantic one in Cali I think? Not sure what you’d search to pull it up though

#3 3 years ago

Put up a number of “Star” brand buildings in the past. The choice to buy these was because the upright support columns for each bay were a simple straight beam and were easily built into the wall so that the interior walls were flush with no columns encroaching into the space. Many steel building brands use a tapered column where the exterior face of the column is plumb while the interior part of the column might be only eight inches thick at the bottom but then tapers into the interior by as much as two feet at the top. If your building were forty feet long you would have maybe two twenty foot bays with one “break” in the long walls due to the intruding columns. So if for example you wanted to put up pallet racks or another type of shelving you wouldn’t be able to have a continuous row of shelving flush up against the wall. Since we’re talking pinball you would have the same issue. I’m not advocating for Star Metal buildings, I’m just suggesting using whatever building brand that allows you to have straight columns so you end up with your interior walls being flush.
    Another aspect of steel buildings is the bolt through steel roof panels. These are not the best option. Try and upgrade to standing seam metal roofing. Standing seam will likely outlast your lifetime and it is ideal for the installation of solar panels. Just my 2 cents.

#4 3 years ago

Metal building works fine as long as it is insulated and temp controlled. I have seen houses built from metal buildings.

#5 3 years ago

Thanks for great info

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-game-room-in-a-metal-building and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.