Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by tait316
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

So I am new to pinball and have only played for about a year and a half. I have a new machine(1996 Breakshot) and an old one.(1980 Xenon) The new one seems too easy at times so I find myself returning to my old gal. But I never knew that something could bring such frustration and anger into my life. Is this normal? Does everyone who loves pinball also go through this? I'm not sure what to do. I would like to hear what others have gone through on their pinball journey. For my own sanity I need to know.

#2 2 years ago

Definitely lots of cursing, punching walls, kicking in my house haha. I had more modern machines before but they almost made my agitation worse because the only goal was getting to the wizard mode so any game that fell short of that was a failure, stacked with the amount of time it took to get that far just made matters worse. I find with my current line up of older machines I'm more chill even though the machines are technically more difficult on a per shot basis (for me). I wouldn't sweat it, you'll get mad, you'll be elated, it should all balance out to fun at the end of the day, or maybe the week haha.

Although slightly off topic, you can always do things to your breakshot to make it more difficult & fun.

#3 2 years ago

You'll go through multiple love/hate days.. weeks! I have an issue with my IJ I haven't been able to diagnose, so this month I hate it!

#4 2 years ago

The solution to all pinball problems is buy another machine.

#5 2 years ago

My wife and I were talking about this yesterday.
Our TWD Pro is beating us up pretty badly on most games.
Every now and again we’ll have a good game but it’s rare.
The alternative is that it’s too easy, games become too long, we get bored, then get rid of it.

We’re pretty good at reminding each other that any time at home playing pinball is a good thing.

#6 2 years ago

Frustration, when playing pinball, can hit pretty fast. I usually throw my hands in the air, drop a few choice curse words & walk away shaking my head in disgust. Either to return for another match or to turn off the machine.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

The solution to all pinball problems is buy another machine.

This is true - it's a rare day when _all_ of your machines are being mean to you at the same time.

...but that day _does_ happen, and that's what video games are for. Or, in extreme circumstances, the outdoors.

#8 2 years ago

I swear machines have some level of consciousness and go through mood swings. I purchased a Paragon in October, and have had an awesome few months, even racking up a high score of 980k (it would let me roll it). But the past few weeks I haven't been able to get past 100k... weird. It's like there are magnets to the outlanes, or down the middle, and I never get out of the beasts later. Solution... Amazing Spider-Man for a while.... it you don't want to play with me, I won't play with you...

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from srcdube:

I swear machines have some level of consciousness and go through mood swings.

My TZ has been a b!itch for the last 18 months now. >

#10 2 years ago

I think alot of the frustration with pinball is its generally 3 balls and you're done. Unlike video games were when you die you are relatively close to the same progress point you perished at, pinball is back to 0 after those balls. Nothing is more frustrating than almost getting a GC score only to house ball.

#11 2 years ago

My main source of frustration is not having the space/money for more pinballs.

#12 2 years ago

"It's only pinball"

#13 2 years ago

Nothing more frustrating than playing a 5 minute amazing ball 1, and the next two SDM drain within seconds. Aaaaaaargh!!!!

#14 2 years ago

I witnessed first hand some pinball frustration last night. Had a couple buddies over who are both good players. One however had a great game of CV going and started the ‘Join the Circus’ mode. Got to the last challenge, needed to hit just one more shot but he drained. Game over....

Later he goes back to it. We weren’t paying attention until he starts to join the circus again. Goes through the same paces, gets to last challenge. Gets to the exact same shot and then drains.... Game over.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from tait316:

So I am new to pinball and have only played for about a year and a half. I have a new machine(1996 Breakshot) and an old one.(1980 Xenon) The new one seems too easy at times so I find myself returning to my old gal. But I never knew that something could bring such frustration and anger into my life. Is this normal? Does everyone who loves pinball also go through this? I'm not sure what to do. I would like to hear what others have gone through on their pinball journey. For my own sanity I need to know.

Pretty normal especially if you’re a competitive person. But the quicker you realize it’s all in good fun and turn that negative frustration to a more laid back “what are ya gonna do?” Type attitude, the better off you’ll be.

Basically don’t take pinball too seriously. It’s supposed to be fun. Always. If it’s not, you need to make some adjustments.

#16 2 years ago

Pinside is the only part of pinball that ever gets me flustered lol

#17 2 years ago

I had a POTC for a while and it's one of those games where you have to make the same shots over and over again. Before long, it felt more like a chore and stopped being fun.

This led me to re-evaluate what I enjoy about pinball and find a game that better suits my preference for story-based games.

#18 2 years ago

Wow.....thanks for all the feedback guys. I feel so much better knowing it's not just me then. ^_^

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

had a great game of CV going and started the ‘Join the Circus’ mode. Got to the last challenge, needed to hit just one more shot but he drained, starts to join the circus again. Goes through the same paces, gets to last challenge. Gets to the exact same shot and then drains.... Game over.

It's all because they know...
the machines know exactly what's going on as we play and sometimes they are just toying with us.
It's true... I swear...

1 week later
#20 2 years ago

The roller coaster ride of joy and frustration in pinball is what makes it so appealing, and keeps us all pressing the start button one more time.

#21 2 years ago

The beauty of owning your own games (which is absolutely a luxury) is the ability to press the start button for free games.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

A buddy of mine had a great game of CV going and started the ‘Join the Circus’ mode. Got to the last challenge, needed to hit just one more shot but he drained. Game over....
Later he goes back to it and starts to join the circus again. Goes through the same paces, gets to last challenge. Gets to the exact same shot and then drains.... Game over.

You of course reminded him that "third time's the charm" didn't you?

#23 2 years ago

It's a little randomness mixed with skill. My friend bought a Revenge From Mars and it his only machine. He believes it is the only machine he will ever have and loves it to death....even though he is not very good and has little experience.

I've had some great games on my RFM, but the last couple of sessions sucked bad, I couldn't make any progress and walked away angry. I told my friend RFM is the next game on the chopping block and he was appalled. I reassured him it's just a phase and I have no intentions of getting rid of it. Good play will come some other day.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from tait316:

So I am new to pinball and have only played for about a year and a half.

I have a new machine(1996 Breakshot) and an old one.(1980 Xenon) The new one seems too easy at times so I find myself returning to my old gal. But I never knew that something could bring such frustration and anger into my life.

There's a lot of frustration involved and it doens;t help you're getting in so late in life. Having said that, you do have numerous advantages of learning how to play the right way form the get go with all the info out there.

Breakshot if not set up really hard is a super easy game.

#25 2 years ago

I usually don’t get frustrated with playing. I’ve leaned you have good days and bad days. Now when games start breaking down, that’s a different story. I have a Funhouse that every time I fix one thing on it another thing breaks down. Yeah the trap door coil just went out so it’s broke down again.

#26 1 year ago

thelaw Yeah Breakshot is a super easy game. Maybe I need my next one to be a bit more challenging than her but less vindictive than Xenon. ^_^ And I know what you mean about starting late. I've had some people over who used to play pin growing up and I immediately notice things they do that I've recently learned or picked up on.

arcademojo Yeah I've been doing small repairs quite a bit lately. I noticed my left slingshot on Breakshot wasn't working...lifted up the playfield....and sure enough...solder had come lose. ^_^ But those kind of things are nice because they're easy to fix.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Naperville, IL

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside