(Topic ID: 332029)

Pinball Flipper Buttons: with or without springs?

By Pinzzz

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinRetail
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Flipper Button Preference?”

• With Springs 2 votes
      29%
    • Without Springs 2 votes
      29%
    • No Preference 3 votes
      43%

(7 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinRetail.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 1 year ago

I go back to original design here. Was the game intended by it's designer to have really stiff flipper buttons?

Go to factory original and you won't go wrong.

I've often wanted to replace the flipper buttons on Capcom's Breakshot... very stiff springs in those!

However, in your home, you should do what makes your game fun for you.

I'd also say that different flipper systems have a radically different feel. The flippers on a Data East 90's machine are poweful, but you can't 'feather touch' or play with the flippers to get control of the ball the way you can with a perfectly adjusted set of flippers on an Addams Family. It's not just the buttons (though the button springs that I remember are stiff...), it's the whole flipper system.

Flippers are the most important part of your game. My friend James told me "If you can put a quarter in it, get a ball onto the playfield and hit it with your flippers, every other thing about your game can be broken, and you'll still make money." Hehe.

I actually like a tiny bit more stiffness to the flipper buttons on some of the 90's WPC games. Using just the plastic flipper opto interrupt feels weak. I'll generally put in some spring steel to reinforce the plastic:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-14348.1

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinRetail.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-flipper-buttons-with-or-without-springs?tu=PinRetail and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.