(Topic ID: 163128)

Pinball "Firsts" - Extra Ball / Flipper Return Lane / EOB Bonus

By bdPinball

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I know I've seen this talked about, and I've seen links to a page on BMI Gaming's web site about pinball milestones, but there were three in particular that I didn't see on their list, that I believe to be seminal moments in pinball history. These are:

- The Extra Ball - And more specifically that amber color that seems to be associated with Extra ball across pinball manufacturers.

- Wire Flipper Return lanes - almost ALL games now-a-days have these standard return lanes on either side of the flippers. This created a whole sub-game almost, where when the ball gets there, the player has to be careful to nudge the ball hard enough to get in the return lane, but not hard enough to bounce to the outlane. Or Tilt!!

- End of Ball Bonus - I'm not sure which game had the first End of Ball Bonus, complete with multipliers - some early EM games had Double Bonus, creating that distinct noise that EM games make when they count down Double Bonus, the "Ding-Ding, Ding-Ding, Ding-Ding.."

I've a couple others, but I cannot think of them at the moment.

Another question, which I guess is a first, but more like a one and only probably! How many pinball games were made that had a mirror reflecting the playfield back to the user? I've seen the mirror used in several other types of games, Rifle shooting Games, and baseball type "bat" games, and maybe a crane game or something, but I remember playing a williams game when I was a kid that had the mirror setup. It felt very odd playing this game in this way. It's a similar feeling to when you are playing Haunted House (and black hole too I guess) and you go down to the lower level, it just feels backwards. Maybe because it is! But I also think the angle of that table might be a little different. I had set Honey up with the back end jacked WAAY up, so the inclination on the table was MUCH steeper than normal. I found the gameplay very similar to the Haunted House second level.

Maybe YOU can think of some unusual pinball firsts? Things that are taken for granted now on pins, that before it's introduction, people lived happily without!

Thanks all you Pinheads out there!!!

Peace.

-dp

#2 7 years ago

I believe Gottlieb's Snow Queen/Derby take credit for first End of Ball Bonus (11-1970).

The Wire Return Lane design became known as the "Italian Bottom" since they demanded that all future designs use it exclusively.

Bally may have been the first to introduce the Translucent Amber insert to represent Shoot Again at around Little Joe (08-1972)

#3 7 years ago

Spooksville and Sea Hunt were shaker ball machines by Allied Leisure that reflected the playfield in a mirror.

#4 7 years ago

1957 Williams Jig Saw has a mirrored bg.

edit: woops, maybe not what you were asking.

#5 7 years ago

Cactus, that was awesome!!

#6 7 years ago

I'm curious if you had to look any of that up, or if it just came from the top of your head.

I looked up the Italian Bottom thing, and found a blurb talking about how guys would hold the ball on the flipper, take a drink of beer, and explain the skill shot they were about to make.

Heh.

-Brian

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from bdPinball:

I'm curious if you had to look any of that up, or if it just came from the top of your head.
    I looked up the Italian Bottom thing, and found a blurb talking about how guys would hold the ball on the flipper, take a drink of beer, and explain the skill shot they were about to make.
    Heh.
    -Brian

Yes, I had to look it up to be sure. I was pretty sure that the EOB bonus appeared on Snow Derby but I had to check similar dates for Bally and Williams. And, as I type this, I realize I left Chicago Coin out. I did the same thing for the Amber EB insert so it is always possible, that is wrong but I didn't see it on others for quite a while. And, of course for Gottlieb, they adapted the pink insert for EB.

As it has been discussed before, I was too lazy to try to find the landmark game that caused the whole Italian bottom thing. I actually learned about it from Jon Norris. I figured someone else would chime in. I knew about the shaker balls but had to check to see the titles. Other than Varkon by WMS, I am not aware of other reflective playfield games (discounting the display on P2K games).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-firsts-extra-ball-flipper-return-lane-eob-bonus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.