Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 154 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Gryszzz
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Crusade-115-Card (resized).png
    racist-603x307 (resized).png
    awe2 (resized).png
    d5dd2ad9f700de9b64b63d4c5a9536be--british-actors-american-actors (resized).jpg
    l (resized).jpg
    lloyd-so-youre-saying-theres-a-chance (resized).jpg
    train-thread_derailed (resized).jpg
    thread_derailed_sign (resized).jpg
    Ward-JuneCleaver-and-Beaver (resized).jpg
    ref-whistle-blow (resized).jpg
    th.jpeg
    image.jpg
    masterofdisaster.jpg
    b-day.jpg

There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 8 years ago

I am in the Westin in Wheeling now. As in past years, the hotel prepared a special letter to the Expo guests. The tone of this year's letter is a little different, though. There are a total of 7 bullet points, including the 10% discount at Saranello's (breakfast and lunch only).

Here are summaries of 3 bullet points that I don't recall from last year:
    Load in through the loading dock only.
    Don't move furniture in the lobby.
    Don't keep pinball machines in your hotel room.

For those who NEED to have a machine in their room: the Olde Court Inn still had its Vacancy light lit as of an hour ago.

I suppose this was to be expected when we moved upscale from that old Ramada Inn. I feel welcome at the Westin, but I thought that many of you would want to make snarky comments about these policies. Have at it.
    .................David Marston

#2 8 years ago

I'll let them know I won't keep a machine in my room. I'll ask the Manager/Inkeeper to safely store it.

#3 8 years ago

Too bad Keith Moon is no longer around to show that hotel what's up.

#4 8 years ago

David, how quickly you forgot about the Wyndham O'Hare.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Too bad Keith Moon is no longer around to show that hotel what's up.

I am certainly no Keith Moon, but I'll bring my Ludwigs and let the 12th floor decide.

#6 8 years ago

I will grieve not moving the lobby furniture this year.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I am certainly no Keith Moon, but I'll bring my Ludwigs and let the 12th floor decide.

Want to start a Misfits cover band for pinball events?

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I am certainly no Keith Moon

Neither am I. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

b-day.jpgb-day.jpg

http://rockcheetah.com/blog/legend/the-most-infamous-hotel-stay-keith-moons-birthday-42-years-ago/

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

There are a total of 7 bullet points, including the 10% discount at Saranello's (breakfast and lunch only).

So no specific policy about sleeping on or under my pinball in the parking lot I see?

Game on, feel free to visit me under my pinball in the southwest corner of the parking lot.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from bemmett:

So no specific policy about sleeping on or under my pinball in the parking lot I see?
    Game on, feel free to visit me under my pinball in the southwest corner of the parking lot.

Pics or it didn't happen.

#11 8 years ago

--Hotel architects made it considerably more difficult for motor vehicles to interact with premises swimming pools.

When I jump in there sans clothing....everybodys gonna wish I was in my car...

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I will grieve not moving the lobby furniture this year.

Glad to hear you got over your flatulence problem.

LTG : )

#13 8 years ago

I don't blame the motel

You are all a bunch of middle aged misfits
    :p

I really have to come over for an expo

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Hotel architects made it considerably more difficult for motor vehicles to interact with premises swimming pools.

It is however still pretty easy to remodel the bathrooms.

masterofdisaster.jpgmasterofdisaster.jpg

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Glad to hear you got over your flatulence problem.
    LTG : )

I'm saving that for the LTG show.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I'm saving that for the LTG show.

I'd save it for the elevator ride.

#17 8 years ago

I will have three pins in my room......don't tell

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from charliebrown2417:

Want to start a Misfits cover band for pinball events?

Why yes,...yes I do.
    Practice starts promptly at 1:59 a.m. PM Robin for his room #. That's where we'll be.
    Devilock for life.

#19 8 years ago

If I remember from conversations with Mike the hotel is now under new management. I would aire my grevience with the front staff.
    They need to get over themselves its only pinball.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Why yes,...yes I do.
    Practice starts promptly at 1:59 a.m. PM Robin for his room #. That's where we'll be.
    Devilock for life.

You'll have to point me in his direction.

First song:
    IVE GOT SOMETHING TO SAY
    I GOT AN EXTRA BALL TODAY
    AND IT DOESNT MATTER MUCH TO ME
    WITHOUT A BALL SAVE

#21 8 years ago

That's why I don't stay there. Loading dock was easy.

#22 8 years ago

While the rooms are nice, this hotel is pretty snooty.
    In past years, they've honked up my reservation.
    Other than having nice rooms, I really don't care for it.
    ...load in/out is a PITA. The year before last there was an employee carping about having the loading dock door open
    ...It's a trek from the main entrance to the parking lot. At least you can walk to/from Twin Peaks.
    ...I've encountered many more snarky employees than nice employees.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#23 8 years ago

I would tell them to pack sand. They want my money they better learn to smooch some butt.

You know expo has to be a big money maker for them.

#24 8 years ago

The hotel did change ownership about 2 years ago...

Jaz

#25 8 years ago

I noticed most of the chairs & small tables have been removed from along the windows in the main west hallway. There used to be plenty of comfortable chairs to crash in. But now there is nothing from the tournament area down to the Southwest corner of the main west side hallway.

(the loading dock load-in has been in effect for a couple years now)

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from Timerider:

But now there is nothing from the tournament area down to the Southwest corner of the main west side hallway.

We should bring lawn chairs. I'm sure that would be entertaining....

I'd just like them to turn off the friggin' motion sensors over the big doors that constantly "pop" a solenoid in the door locks. If I had a booth under one of those, I'd tape over the motion sensor.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#27 8 years ago

Time to see just how many pins can be fit into one room... OR fill the tub up with pinballs... jam up all the elevators with pinball machines... the list can go on and on!

#28 8 years ago

i'm surprised they even care about having machines in the room. I bring a machine with me to the Hilton for Gencon and set it up every year and they never bat an eye. And it's more upscale than this place.

#29 8 years ago

They might need to "re-think" the list after tonight...
    image.jpgimage.jpg

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i'm surprised they even care about having machines in the room. I bring a machine with me to the Hilton for Gencon and set it up every year and they never bat an eye. And it's more upscale than this place.

And Gencon has a lot more weirdos than Expo!

-Mark

#31 8 years ago

The hotel spent a lot of money renovating the public areas a few months back. Public areas include the hallways and
    ballrooms/meeting rooms.

All of these areas have:
    New carpet
    New wallpaper
    New furniture
    (new) digital signage

I can see why they want to protect their investment from the "pinballers."

-Mark

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from marcos:

The hotel spent a lot of money renovating the public areas a few months back. Public areas include the hallways and
    ballrooms/meeting rooms.
    All of these areas have:
    New carpet
    New wallpaper
    New furniture
    (new) digital signage
    I can see why they want to protect their investment from the "pinballers."
    -Mark

Yeah, because when I think of bad guys, "pinballers" are the first people who pop into my head.

#33 8 years ago

Yeah! And Aurich is telling us to shower!!

What the heck, man! Fight the power!

Pete

#34 8 years ago

For those who NEED to have a machine in their room: the Olde Court Inn still had its Vacancy light lit as of an hour ago.

If you don't mind roaches bedbugs, crackhead and crack dealer neibors and if you need a whore then this place will suit you nicely.

Infamous month to month tenancy there in the scum of the earth catagory so stay at you own peril!

Tom

#35 8 years ago

I can see their concern over their fancy new carpet but running a dolly on the carpet is no different than someone in a wheelchair. This is B.S.!

#36 8 years ago

Man, some of you are wound up tight for being at a fun place. I don't see any issue at all with the 3 bullets pointed out.

Load in through the loading dock only. - That's fairly normal. You don't want people moving heavy machines throughout your hotel. There are other guest there too that you have to be mindful of. Not to mention, I promise you that under at least one circumstance someone has damaged the hotel at some point moving something big through the halls.

Don't move furniture in the lobby. - Fairly reasonable. It is the lobby. I'm sure they wouldn't mind you pulling up a chair to your buddies table assuming you put it back. That last part is where most people, these days, go wrong. They go and move something and neglect to put it back. Again, probably the reason for this new rule.

Don't keep pinball machines in your hotel room. - Again, there are other guest in the hotel and I promise you (some have admitted to it already) that some have set up their machine in their room and played it. I've seen it before myself as well. This is the part that crosses the line and I'm sure is the reason for the rule. I'm also sure they are concerned about their elevators getting damaged. Most people are careful but allowing this just opens the door to getting your elevator doors dinged/scratched up.

Sounds like they are just trying to keep an upscale environment for everyone and not just cater to the "pinballers".

#37 8 years ago

Ok they have officially crossed the line with me. They only have decaf coffee in my room. That is just unacceptable! Even the maid didn't have any regular coffee. Don't they know we run on coffee and beer. Up in arms I say!

#38 8 years ago

Some jerk might have been playing TBL at 3am in the Presidential Suite last year. Turns out they still remember that ...

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from flipnout1:

Ok they have officially crossed the line with me. They only have decaf coffee in my room. That is just unacceptable! Even the maid didn't have any regular coffee.

Please tell me that this is a filthy lie.

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

If you don't mind roaches bedbugs, crackhead and crack dealer neibors and if you need a whore then this place will suit you nicely.
    Infamous month to month tenancy there in the scum of the earth catagory so stay at you own peril!
    Tom

Hey, I stayed there last year and survived. My wife loved the place.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-olde-court-inn-aka-the-sleazy-crack-whore-hotel

She's soft, though.

Pete

#41 8 years ago

Mega karma for the first person that posts a pic of a game in their room!!! - I double dog dare you!!

#42 8 years ago

I'll vote bring Expo to Pheasant Run hotel next year... that place rocks

#43 8 years ago

do they have an indoor pool? nothing like a game of sea raider in the deep end.lol

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

Yeah, because when I think of bad guys, "pinballers" are the first people who pop into my head.

Not bad people, for sure.

However, this is a 4 star hotel. Have you ever been there outside of Expo? The hotel and meeting spaces typically have business conventions or training seminars; lots of people in suits. As someone who worked in the lodging industry for several years, I would think the business people are a lot less likely to be drunk/loud/rowdy and moving large pieces of commercial equipment to/from the guest rooms. (That being said, I would not have had an issue with pinball machines in guest rooms, providing that others are not disturbed, particularly late at night.)

The hotel is bit too upscale for Expo, but on the other hand, it's much better than being at a dump... like the hotel down the street where Illinois Pin Ball had their "show" during Expo.

-Mark

#45 8 years ago

One problem with the Weston is the labyrinth from the loading dock to the show areas. It feels like a half mile of narrow hallways preventing 2-way traffic, stacked unused chairs, tables and hotel equipment waiting to snag on a machine.

I don't agree that the Weston Hotel is too upscale for Expo. The TPF Embassy Suites Hotel in Frisco, TX is also a four star property happily hosting pinballers without a bullet list of expected guest behavior.

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I double dog dare you!!

th.jpegth.jpeg
    Remember what happen to you last time Matt.

#47 8 years ago

Well, they said no pinball games in the rooms right?
    Did they mention any thing about a mechanical bull?

Just sayin. Have fun kids.

#48 8 years ago

Complete how-to guide, just don't destroy any pins!

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Some jerk might have been playing TBL at 3am in the Presidential Suite last year. Turns out they still remember that ...

I can attest this to be factual.........LOL!!! I was 2 doors down. I thought it was hilarious......my wife, not so much.

#50 8 years ago

I'm at Expo and ten minutes ago rode up the elevator with three guys taking a machine up to their room. They had it wrapped and hidden under blankets.

I smiled when I got on with them and said "I love people that break the rules"
    - I wish I had gotten their names.

There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-the-hotel-is-getting-on-our-case and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.