Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 401 posts
  • 124 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Crashnburn
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161013_140717 (resized).jpg
    405571.jpg
    image.jpg
    rural-michigan.jpg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.png
    lampshade1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#96 8 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Or can you get Terry to Expo?

Not going to happen. Why would Terry want to lug all his parts over to expo when everyone is willing to come to his warehouse? Even when he goes to MGC he usually only brings parts that people ordered (maybe a few extras).

#134 8 years ago

While a decent freeplay area isn't the main goal of a pinball show, it's sort of a minimal expectation. Imagine going to the chicago auto show, and most of the cars are behind red ropes, and when you confront them, they say "well if you wanna check these cars out, go to a dealer". Also it's hard to count many of the pins in the vendor hall because while they might be on freeplay, when they're tucked behind tables and nobody is playing them I assume they're there for show.

I liken whether a show stands out to the mentality of how robert irvine talks down unsuccessful restaurants that serve worse food than you can make at home. "Why should I pay $12 for a bland hamburger when I can go to another restaurant that does it right?".

Pinexplosion - Terry is selective about what pins get in. he would pick an obscure C title over an addams family or a twilight zone because you can play one of those almost anywhere. He jams good music, lowers the lights, has a fog machine and laser lights, jay brings his crazy creations, it's a PARTY

Clay's Ann Arbor show (not to plug it anymore than Clay has already) - TONS of games from every era, bat games, cool envoirnment, headphone jacks in many games so you can hear them (and he sells cheapies in case you forgot to bring some), large staff that keeps on top of games that have issues (so games are never down), and you get to meet the man that has practically written the book on repairing and restoring pinballs.

MGC - from what I've seen, games don't get pulled early (unless they sell) because everyone is having so much fun, and because 3 days is a good sweet spot.

I don't know what show it was (SFGE?) but they had a room where 8-bit video games were setup in a living room that was decorated like the 80's, that is out of the box thinking! Maybe setup a section that is only 80's pinballs, and the portable walls are decorated like an 80's arcade. Maybe even have staff dressed in 80's clothing so you really get that vibe.

It's probably hard to look at Expo from unbiased eyes when you've been running it so long, but for even someone like me who has only been going to it for 3 years now: Walk in, same flintstones and hercules pinball (like clockwork). I suppose as long as you have the space, why turn them away, but I think everyone has played those by now. Same confusing website (maybe make an excel sheet with rows representing rooms, and mark the rooms red in the times they are open). The schedule doesn't get updated until like 3-4 weeks before the show (so those out of town probably find it hard to decide whether it's worth coming). I don't see the point in listing exhibitors that haven't been there in over a decade (D & M Pinball - Daniel Frano)? I know him, he hasn't even attended the show in probably almost a decade much less been a vendor. How is this relevant? The classifieds: Keep this up, I sold and bought a game (and some gottlieb legs) this year so it's definitely worth having. Maybe archive the past years to reduce confusion.

I do like the idea someone posted of allowing pins at Terry's to be moved over to Expo. My Freddy is still sitting there, I'd love it if it got played at Expo and I got in free on Saturday. I don't bring a pin to Expo because I don't want to move it on a wednesday night to Wheeling, then go back home, then drive back Saturday, then have to come back again on Sunday. I live 4 miles from pinball life, I bring it 4-6 weeks before expo at my convenience, and pick it back up at my convenience. Yes, I know this isn't possible at Expo or any other pinball show because they are renting that space, but that's why Terry has to turn machines away. Somehow Expo needs to setup an easy pickup system.

#177 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

Jay and I have already talked about dedicating more room to the Pinball Olympics next year

Lionman foursome needs to get finished, this would blow people's minds. Ball is in my court, need to jump back on it.

Quoted from pinballlife:

Besides, with the current load in structure at the Expo hotel location you will not get these beasts through the loading door, down that skinny back hallway, and into the hall

So true. Plus can you imagine the phone call from the Hotel manager? "Yea umm, I authorized a pinball expo, not these carnival rides.. Do you know what this is going to do to my insurance premium?!!"

#215 8 years ago

I have an idea, probably the one most want implemented after they got spoiled by Jared. Pinball news does a great job of recording audio from seminars. How about someone setup HD video cameras, and Mike sets up a patreon account so people have to donate $5 to watch them (maybe even have a live chat question session), or at the very least have someone put all that video on a DVD and sell it after the show (most people know how to do this, even me). People who can't make the show might still want to see the presentations. Even people who attend may not go to them all, or even if they do perhaps they want to archive it?

#286 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

Keeping it free but limiting attendance may be an answer, but so far I have not thought of a good way to do that.

I wonder what percentage come just for free pinball / food? Continue doing the badges for those that bring games, but then only allow those that buy something? pre-orders come in the back with their invoice, buyers that are picking up that day have to come in the front and wait in line.

I don't know if this is feasible, just throwing the idea out there.

#320 8 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

another idea is to have door personnel with hand counters. when you reach that full number, no one else goes in, until someone comes out. kind of a bouncer type thing. that's like a lottery but based on a first come first served basis.

I like this idea.. but something more lionman tech. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to setup a double opto beam at the door. Someone comes in, counter goes up. Someone leaves, counter goes down. when you reach the maximum number of people, a roller light turns on (maximum people reached). Works the same way at a night club, people wait in line until someone leaves to make room for another body. Of course you still have the social stigma (hey, I went to Terry's and couldn't get in because nobody would leave). Maybe you have timed badges that blink really bright when your time is used up? There really is no simple answer.

#325 8 years ago

As mitch heberg says "if you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit"

#334 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

No one asked if I was stealing it or anything. There were other machines there too and I could have loaded any of them I wanted up and probably not have been questioned as I drove right off with them

This brings up a really good point. I bought the space station that was there, and after I gave him the cash he handed me the keys and he's like "enjoy!", and I'm like "sooo.. I just break it down and roll it out? You don't have to alert someone? I've never bought a game from a show before", and he's like "yea, people are bringing games in and out all the time". Now granted, unless you have the keys you aren't going to be able to fold the backbox down, but let's face it.. locks are easily bypassed by either a locksmith pick gun or a bump method.

I don't want to give people ideas, but with the internet any schmoe can spend $20 on a pick gun. I can only imagine it's a matter of time before tries to steal a machine, especially if it's something worthy like a Stern LE.

#336 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

You can drill through those brass pinball locks like butter in about 30 seconds with a cordless drill and a 1/2" drill bit.

True, but I was thinking about something less obvious and subtle. Someone pulls out a drill and start drilling for 30 seconds, they might take notice. A quick bump, or a couple ratchets with a gun and they probably wouldn't even look up from their game.

#357 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Terry should just take over Expo.

Terry is already a mini-expo

Banquet: check
    Freeplay pinball: check
    pinball Parts: check
    Other vendors: Pinball refinery brings games, ryan claytor sells comics. If you killed off the row by the back door maybe a few tables for other vendors
    Tournament: One ball tournament on a Stern every year
    Seminars: Nope, but maybe the top of the stairs could double as a podium for speakers, pipe a microphone into the speaker system up there, project a powerpoint onto one of the walls

11 months later
    #396 7 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

The daily admission has gone from $10 to $30 in what seems like a very short window of time

MGC was $35 last year (and that hotel gets so crowded you can't walk). I don't think the price is the issue, it's value of your money.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-recomendations-for-change?tu=toyotaboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.