Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 401 posts
  • 124 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Crashnburn
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161013_140717 (resized).jpg
    405571.jpg
    image.jpg
    rural-michigan.jpg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.png
    lampshade1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomgwi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

My biggest suggestion is to REMOVE THE FREE PLAY HALL FROM YOUR AUTHORITY.
    This is the harsh reality in 2 parts ... Many people do not like supporting someone that has yelled at them and their friends in the past or recently. Many people are not interested in bring ing games to free play area because really all they are doing is helping increase profit for the promoters whom they do not like (because they yell at people and treat them like children).
    You have started down this already but I suggest the next step. You obviously have too much on your hand to make everything better so focus where you are good, the vendor hall and seminars with industry.
    Second reason to split off the free play area is it allows that group to cater to the people that now come to "the BEST industry show" with a main reason of playing games.
    My suggestion is 100% removal of free play from your business model.
    Step 1: find someone willing to take this area over
    Step 2: let them do all the PR and relations with the collector community
    Step 3: Set a REASONABLE price for the free play room and charge the person running it that amount. By reasonable, I mean exactly what the hotel charges you for that space. You still provide all the infrastructure like you have up till now (electric, etc...) You should remove the idea of straight line profit from the freeplay area. Freeplay area is a COST for your business model and OK to be a loss leader as its goal for you should be to bring in wallets
    Step 4: they sell their own wristbands and provide their own security at the door
    Step 5: They do what they want to make it a success. This includes setting their own hours, working with brawl on timing, their own incentive structure for games, etc...
    My suggestion for whomever takes on the task of running the free play area is make all costs transparent and give ALL profits to charity (minus a small payment for you as token of your thanks and help). Get the community behind you!
    I can assure you that if you make the freeplay area under the control of someone else and they run it for charity rather than for profit, then you will personally make even more money in coming years! (or atleast you will have the chance to make more money and even more people will come for the freeplay hall and likely pay for the vendor hall and seminars). Game count and quality can go up which will results in more heads for freeplay, and hence more bleed over of people that will also pay for the rest of the expo experience.
    Also, whomever does the free play area... GET the OLYMPICS onsite!!!

So what your suggestion is to make the FreePlay area another paid attraction to expo?

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

It already is from what I can tell. Distinct subgroup of people coming mainly to play in freeplay hall. That is also the largest growing and incoming group to the hobby (Chicagoland has 5? barcades now). It is not hard to make free play separate like the seminars already are.

So now you'll have to pay for a freeplay area that can't fill the room.

Great Idea!

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

well obviously my suggestion is based on rectifying the empty room first. I can gaurentee that you would happily pay $10-15 per day to go in a jammed packed freeplay hall with great playing games. You do it every year for MGC, so I can only guess that you would also do it if expo freeplay was similar in quality.
    granted the pricing needs to still make sense. What was cost now $25 for game and vendor hall 1day? I would suggest $15 for just free play, $15 for just vendor, or $25 for a combined pass.
    If you have an awesome free play room (with proper PR and promotion) I can promise you that you will sell WAY more passes for the vendor hall!

I don't think anything will change with game bringers. Too many guys have gotten burned in the past from what it sounds like.
    I think you suggestion is good in principle but might turn some more people away if you have separate fees for everything.
    Next the organizers will tell game bringers they can have a wristband for the freeplay area but have to pay to get into the vendor hall.

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

It should be. Isn't that what mosts other shows do?

Yes but from what I have heard and as you stated a few posts back people have been burned in the past.
    I think Hilton's charity idea is a good one but if there is a lack of games in the free play area like this year and the cost for attendees goes up it will likely make more people sour.

More games, more people happy, help charity equals win!
    Less games, higher cost, people unhappy.

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Little market research...
    Tom, would you bring a game for expo free play if it went to something like I am proposing?
    For your efforts you get a FULL wristband for each day the game is there. Saturday 11pm till 2am aftrparty (maybe a thursday afternoon preparty? Something added if I had it my way). sweet prizes for best in show games and players choice games. All profits from free play go to charity.
    More than 1 game and added incentive is showcash or something like that.

If I could bring a game for a day, high probability yes but I usually only stay one night. It's too long of a stretch for me to make it work the full half week.

I, of course, will ALWAYS bring games to MGC.

#58 8 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

That's why someone else needs to set up and organize the freeplay area. Remove Mike from that area completely.

Totally agree.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomgwi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-recomendations-for-change?tu=tomgwi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.