Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 384 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by calvin12
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PW.jpg
    westin.png
    TheJesus.gif
    20131018_171605.jpg
    20131018_183235.jpg
    20131018_183205.jpg
    20131018_181704.jpg
    20131018_183211.jpg
    20131018_181717.jpg
    20131018_181756.jpg
    20131018_181806.jpg
    20131018_182212.jpg
    image.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-10-22-21-48-53.png
    elvira pinball 2.jpg
    elvira pinball 1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider genex.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 10 years ago

One thing for me is maybe not starting stuff so early in the morning? Since the free play room is open at night and many of us like to play late into the night, having stuff start super early is a bit brutal. I survived but stuff starting a lil bit later would be great. This was my first year though and I had a great time!

#158 10 years ago

Yeah the brackets were full (48 teams) before Expo even started so no one could join in. Apparently b/c of this it ran really well this year. I participated and had a blast, but I heard it went much smoother than in past years since they limited the entries to 48 teams of two. You play three rounds in the qualifying and then based on that, everyone is seeded into a division. Somehow we made the A-division finals and bombed out the first round to Josh Sharpe and Jon Replogle. So everyone gets at least four matches (each match is best of two in qualifying and can go to three games if there's a tie after two on the final round(s)

It was my first "brawl" type tournament and I was paired up with a random person since I had no friends going to Expo (ok, i just have no friends - it was fun to play with/against teams though as I love that social aspect of pinball.

Quoted from rosh:

one other comment on expo brawl. Lots of comments about more tournaments, however, I wonder how many people even know what the brawl is? To be honest, while I participated in pinbrawl a few years ago, I have no clue how it works now, is it still teams? Do you have to have your team ahead of time? Can individuals just show up and get put on teams? Is it one and done, or do you get to play a few rounds before you are eliminated? Either way, once you move to electronic registration (which would likely increase registration being done), you could even ask 'do you want to be put on a pinbrawl team', and alert them this is the only way to be playing games on day X during times y. It is also just another great way to meet people.
    I think this gets back to better info on the events. After reading a lot of this, I think more and better info, both before and during is probably the single biggest issue (other then games to play which you have already acknowledged and are trying to address). Many of the issues raised would be resolved or mitigated with more detailed info ahead of time. I think there is a tendency to just assume people know what these things are, but to keep this healthy and growing, in a hobby that is growing, people need to know more about what these things are.
    There is so much going on over the three/four days, no way a single one page info sheet can properly communicate it.

#165 10 years ago

Yeah teams could pick whatever game they wanted as long as it was one of the "ExpoBrawl" approved machines (generally meaning that it worked and/or didn't have some feature like being only one player).

Of course certain games are more popular but they had a rule that you couldn't wait on a machine unless the currently playing teams were on ball three to prevent it from taking too long. Having a dedicated bank of machines would be nice. You really need 1.5x-2x the machines though so if there are 24 games in use at once I think realistically you'd need at least 30 machines since some might go down and some are just more popular than others. Just my $0.02

Quoted from rosh:

With 48 teams, that means only 24 games are in use at a time. Assume there is still some aspect of the two teams agreeing on an "approved' game to play (so more then 24 are needed). But it would seem that if the area is bigger next year and can be separated to some degree (or even signs that say 'brawl only' on designated machines) there should be plenty of games to still have a section open for 'free play'

#216 10 years ago

The tickets physically were the same but they need to know which bucket the money from the ticket purchase goes to for the cash pot. So if you are B-Division your tickets go to that bucket, etc. They probably could have some sorta printed thing that said that but I know at some point I asked if it mattered since at the beginning I was showing up in A even though I am definitely not A

Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I got some tickets on Thursday from the registration table (there always seems to a lot of confusion in that area), they asked if I was doing classics or the other tournament. I asked if the tickets were different, they said yes. I got tickets for the regular tournament. It took me until late Friday to learn that the same ticket would work for either tournament.. I'm not sure how that could have been confused, did they have two different kinds of tickets back there?? Not that big of a deal, but I would have plugged more entries into the classics had I known, I felt like I needed to use up my normal tickets on the regular tourney...
    Communication.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider genex.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-recomendations-for-2014?tu=genex and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.