Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Borygard
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

JE2.jpg
    JE3.jpg
    JE4.jpg
    JE1.jpg
    purell%20wall%20dispenser.jpg
    LM With Colors-165.png
    #1 9 years ago

I am excited to bring this announcement to the group concerning the expo free play area this year.

We have a few changes we are making to several of the aspects of the free play room.

We will have staff available to help during load in and load out using the following schedule:
    Wednesday from 12:00PM until 8:00PM we will have 3 or more staff members helping out with load in and setup. From 10:00PM until 12:00AM we will have people on call.
    We will have folks available to help on call on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
    Sunday we will help with load out from 9:00AM until 12:00PM

There will be dollies and pinball moving equipment on-site to help move games.

We will have a limited amount of pinball sundries on hand should you forget something at home.

Arm bands will be handed out as games are brought into the show, no need to wait!

All machines will now have to display a small registration sticker on the game. This will include the information as previously seen at expo as well as owner information. You can pre-register games if you like, simply email [email protected] with details. There will be a registration desk in the free play room from 12:00PM until 8:00PM. If you bring a game after this time I will gladly meet up with you.

The old banquet hall is now the free play area. This will make load in much easier as we are far closer to the dock.

We reviewed the incentives for bringing a game to expo, and the compensation for that awesome effort. We truly appreciate people brining games to the show, and there are rewards for helping make expo great.

Games must be in the free play area, and be setup on free play for all to enjoy.
    When you bring your game in it will need to be registered. Once registration is complete we will provide an armband for general admission into the show.
    If you are planning on bringing more than 3 games, please let us know!

If you have questions, feel free to drop us a note, or give us a call. I can be reached at (224) 279-1545.

Special thanks to Mike and the Pinball Expo organization for working so hard to bring this show to us. Also thanks to all the folks giving up time to make the show great, in particular The Chicago Pinball Mafia, which makes up the majority of helpers for the show.

Andrew Barney
    Mike Pacak
    Pinball Expo

#2 9 years ago

Love it Andrew!!!

I'll add that I'll install for free, an anyPin NVRAM Battery Eliminator that you bring, or pick up at the show, in any game that is brought to Expo for the free play room.

Just bring the CPU to the Pinball Classics repair room, directly across from the free play hall, any time during the show.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#3 9 years ago

What are pinball sundries??

#4 9 years ago

Sounds like you guys are making some welcome changes.

I can't recall how it was handled in past years, but it would be a very smart idea to have hand sanitizer stations at the entrance, as well as several spread throughout the free play area. I know I always get sick around Expo time, and there seems to be a higher than normal amount of viruses circulating this year. Let's face it. There are few things I can think of that are more germ filled and gross than the flipper buttons at a pinball convention.

#5 9 years ago

Balls, bolts, things like that.

LTG : )™

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

What are pinball sundries??

They're pinball machines that can only be played on Sunday, in your underwear.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

Haaaa ha ha! That's awesome

#8 9 years ago

I'll add that I'll install for free, an anyPin NVRAM Battery Eliminator that you bring, or pick up at the show, in any game that is brought to Expo for the free play room.
    ------

Great offer Rob! Thank you so much!

I look forward to seeing you soon.

Regards,

Andrew

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from APB_Enterprises:

The colored in areas on the map

Could you post the map please ?

#11 9 years ago

Also, here is the layout of the new space. We still need final approval before we setup this way, but this is the most likely layout.

The colored in areas on the map represent the aisle for the folks coming in from Cincy and Louisville, the CPM aisle, and John's games.

We have lots of room this year, and lots of games coming. Thank you guys for committing so much to making expo great.

LM With Colors-165.pngLM With Colors-165.png

#12 9 years ago

Thank you for all you are doing Andrew to make Expo great !

#13 9 years ago

No problem Lloyd! I look forward to seeing you there!

Andrew

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Just bring the CPU to the Pinball Classics repair room, directly across from the free play hall, any time during the show.

Wow. Way cool, Rob.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I can't recall how it was handled in past years, but it would be a very smart idea to have hand sanitizer stations at the entrance, as well as several spread throughout the free play area. I know I always get sick around Expo time, and there seems to be a higher than normal amount of viruses circulating this year. Let's face it. There are few things I can think of that are more germ filled and gross than the flipper buttons at a pinball convention.

I think we can handle that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Andrew

#16 9 years ago

Let's fill that hall people!!!

#17 9 years ago

Sounds awesome. Well done!

#18 9 years ago

I had a question come up around if you are bringing a game and you have already paid for passes for the weekend. If that is the case, you will still see Mike on Sunday late morning to settle up.

Thank you all again for supporting expo!

Andrew

#19 9 years ago

Wow. Looks awesome. It appears a lot of the free play area is already spoken for. Is there going to be room for all the other games coming? I would hate to bring a machine and not have a spot for it.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from bbaker2824:

Wow. Looks awesome. It appears a lot of the free play area is already spoken for. Is there going to be room for all the other games coming? I would hate to bring a machine and not have a spot for it.

If they run out of room it would be the first year ever. I'm sure they'll find somewhere to put it.

#21 9 years ago

About time! Thanks Andrew for stepping up and working with Mike on this.. Looking forward to a smooth unload and setup.

Damon

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from bbaker2824:

I hope to have this problem. We will make room and already have a few backup plans!

Andrew

#23 9 years ago

Is it OK to put the game for sale? I thought I had read that the games must not be for sale.

#24 9 years ago

Collectors should sell games, by all means. I don't want to miss the opportunity to say that we would like to have them on site and playable as long as possible in the free play room.

When I have sold games in the past I mentioned to the interested parties that I would like to keep the game in the free play space as long as possible. I never had an issue with people willing to leave the game and just pick it up when they are leaving the show for the final time, many times it was Saturday late. Your experiences may differ.

Our goals is to get playable games to expo for all to enjoy, hopefully have them there the whole show (or as long as possible) and for everyone to have a good time.

Regards,

Andrew

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from APB_Enterprises:

I think we can handle that. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Andrew

I second that, great idea!!

#26 9 years ago

I've always felt that even if a game is sold, the game should remain on until the buyer officially leaves the show.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

and a purple wrestlemania shirt

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I've always felt that even if a game is sold, the game should remain on until the buyer officially leaves the show.

But enforcing this will just give off a bad vibe. This should be encouraged (possible incentives to the new owner?) but not enforced.

-c

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

But enforcing this will just give off a bad vibe. This should be encouraged (possible incentives to the new owner?) but not enforced.

Agreed. I don't think they should force anyone, but it should definitely be strongly encouraged. It just looks bad when there are a bunch of games sitting there turned off.

#30 9 years ago

We really want games to be up and running as well. That said we don't want the bad vibe getting out there either. Our hopes are that the pinball community does what they can to keep games available, up and running at the show. We will help where we can, and appreciate the fact that people bring machines for all of us to enjoy.

Tip of the hat to Dan at MGC. His show is great, and this issue does not come up there from what I have seen over my years of going. Proof that it can work!

Andrew

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from MXV:

I second that, great idea!!

I love the idea as well. I ordered the supplies this morning and will have them by next week for the show. I figured we can put one near the door and one on the far wall somewhere. Grabbed a few refills too in case Banger Jay trys to drink the stuff again.

purell%20wall%20dispenser.jpgpurell%20wall%20dispenser.jpg

#32 9 years ago

Maybe a $10 donation to a related charity for removing a game from the free play area early, kind of like how Allentown does it, but for charity.

#33 9 years ago

Hand sanitizers are great and I wish everyone used them, takes care of the germs.

During our pin shows locally I always made sure to wipe down the glass, lockdown bars and buttons with paper towel and windex every couple hours. Just to get rid of the grime.

#34 9 years ago

If anyone needs a hand fixing things I plan on having a soldering station and common tools on hand in my game in the CPM row plus whatever know how I have after doing this for a few years.

Is there a way we can put up an A.P.B. for folks needing pinball help with a number so techs with extra cycles can lend a hand?

-c

#35 9 years ago

I beleive ALlentown charges 25 for a game to leave . I have never enforced removing game idea BECAUSE I feel if a person buys game he has right to take it or turn it off..IT HIS GAME if game goes up in smoke or a plastic breaks AFTER he bought it whos issue is it??? MIKE PACAK

#36 9 years ago

I'm not even sure how other shows manage to enforce that rule. The buyer never brought a game agreed to the "fine" for leaving early. The original owner made that agreement and would be the one stuck honoring it.

1 week later
    #37 9 years ago

We got John's EM's loaded up last night at the show!

JE1.jpgJE1.jpg

Thank you to all who helped at John's on Sunday and Expo last night!
    Vince Loeffler
    Rob Kokot
    Alan Darby
    Eric Priepke
    Liz Priepke
    Yancy Blaylock
    Karl Marsicek

JE4.jpgJE4.jpg

JE3.jpgJE3.jpg

JE2.jpgJE2.jpg

#38 9 years ago

Downpour in Wheeling? Yup, it's Expo week. 45 bodies, 25 heads, 45 leg bundles = 75 minutes.

#39 9 years ago

are there 20 headless games?

#40 9 years ago

Only until John's van arrives.

#41 9 years ago

I was hoping for imaginary scoring. I always do well on games like that.

#42 9 years ago

thanks to ALL that are doing this!

#44 9 years ago

So bummed I'm not going to be there.

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Only until John's van arrives.

The van has arrived, There are no headless games we helped him unload the rest of the heads in the poring rain!! got them all in and dried off.

Phoebe

#46 9 years ago

So wait... are you already setting up? I thought that didn't start till noon tomorrow? Or do you get to do it early since you bring so much from so far?

#47 9 years ago

Those games were close by. There were 45 from one guy, they are being stored on site in an alternate location so we can get them set up on Wednesday.

#48 9 years ago

Thank you for your help Phoebe!!

Andrew

#49 9 years ago

Setup for the free play area starts Wednesday at noon. Because expo takes time and space to move in we got a room early to store some things until we can really get going!

Andrew

#50 9 years ago

The work Andrew, The Pinball Mafia, locals, and non-locals are putting into this is amazing!!

Definitely HUGE thank you's to everyone stepping up.

I predict the best Expo free play room ever!

Sorry you can't make it Jim, looks to be an EPIC show!

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-free-play-area-changes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.