Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 119 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Wmsfan-GAP
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5.jpg
    4.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.jpg
    136E0BA4-B90A-407B-9A48-6FD9CD919AC8 (resized).jpeg
    43F2E072-2F57-4CDE-BFB3-AB489519FA5B (resized).jpeg
    C4767ACE-4A1A-4383-96C6-8F962EC8CCC2 (resized).jpeg
    4CE00D34-E204-4575-9D56-C6789B848FB6 (resized).jpeg
    There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 2 years ago

Never had one person start an extra game in front of me all week...

some pigpen weed clouds... but no game hogs.

#52 2 years ago

Did his first game drain super quick? That’s the only circumstance where a second game is ok IMO

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from joshvandam:

So my buddy and I have been going to expo for years and attendees are generally courteous and respectful of each other which makes the event enjoyable for all. This year we were walked up to a Godzilla with someone playing and another couple waiting for there turn. The person playing finished their game and let the couple play so we were next in the queue. When there game was over they immediately started another game knowing we were patiently waiting next. I then told him we would like a turn as well since they already had one and the guy flipped his shit and was ready to throw down right there in the vendor hall. He basically said I was lucky he didn’t kick my ass right there and to be thankful he is only playing 2 games and not 20. Not looking to have a fight over a game of Godzilla I just told him he was being very disrespectful to other gamers and left. Anyone have this happen? Was I wrong to even say anything to begin with? Although it may be hard to enforce and most are respectful anyway should this be an actual rule that everyone play 1 game and let others have a turn if they are waiting?

What a dick!! lol I would have waited until he was really into then I would have shut the game off & run!!

#54 2 years ago

You'd think most of this would be common sense, but some signs and public announcements might help prevent anyone from claiming ignorance. It also would help embolden others to call out those that aren't following the rules. These encounters shouldn't be one vs one. It should be everyone versus the few idiots that are all about themselves.

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from NashtyFunk:

I watched him take his sweet time since I was in line for CCr and a guy got like 4 extra balls and played for 30 minutes (2 guys playing a 2 player game).

This might have been us. My partner Patrick was playing pretty hot and managed to finish the entire game on ball 1. Not sure how many EBs he wound up with but he almost finished it a second time. Someone else must have gotten through it a couple times as he only got 2nd place (this was Sat evening).

Game shoots great and we were thinking of getting one, but gonna have to see if Lyman/Eric continued code adds enough depth. Game is too easy as it is now.

Got a few pics of the end... no graphics for High Noon yet, but Bionic Part and Showdown intro looked good. Can't find the NSFW setting so adding a bit of anti-spolier whitespace..

Pics:
    1.jpg1.jpg2.jpg2.jpg3.jpg3.jpg4.jpg4.jpg5.jpg5.jpg

#56 2 years ago

Signage would be nice. As someone who was going to my first ever show, I wasnt real sure of the protocol, but it seemed really off that anyone would play a 4 player game by themselves when others were waiting.
    There were a couple times my son and I would finish a game on Godzilla and I'd turn around to see if anyone was waiting and if no one was around we'd play another. Thankfully there were like 20 godzillas and while they were almost always full, there was rarely a time someone was waiting long for one.

#57 2 years ago

Wasn't y'all because it was on the machine on the other side, next to the Monster Bash. I think that guy's total score was like 50MM and almost all of it was on ball 3. Can't hate a dude for having a baller game, but every time he drained and I thought we'd get to play there was a "shoot again" going on. It was tough trying to be patient with a 7 year old, but cant hate on a great game.
    Same thing happened to us on Sonic, dude played for like 40 minutes and had a monster score. Good on him, but just bad luck for us.

Quoted from metallik:

This might have been us. My partner Patrick was playing pretty hot and managed to finish the entire game on ball 1. Not sure how many EBs he wound up with but he almost finished it a second time. Someone else must have gotten through it a couple times as he only got 2nd place (this was Sat evening).
    Game shoots great and we were thinking of getting one, but gonna have to see if Lyman/Eric continued code adds enough depth. Game is too easy as it is now.
    Got a few pics of the end... no graphics for High Noon yet, but Bionic Part and Showdown intro looked good. Can't find the NSFW setting so adding a bit of anti-spolier whitespace..

Pics:
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from NashtyFunk:

Wasn't y'all because it was on the machine on the other side, next to the Monster Bash. I think that guy's total score was like 50MM and almost all of it was on ball 3. Can't hate a dude for having a baller game, but every time he drained and I thought we'd get to play there was a "shoot again" going on. It was tough trying to be patient with a 7 year old, but cant hate on a great game.
    Same thing happened to us on Sonic, dude played for like 40 minutes and had a monster score. Good on him, but just bad luck for us.

Well earning a shoot again seems fair and good on them for having a good game. Restarting a game while others are waiting is bad form.

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Did his first game drain super quick? That’s the only circumstance where a second game is ok IMO

Why?? If you suck move asside and get back in line to try again. This isn't a time based hobby.

#60 2 years ago

So here's what I found regarding the Stern Connect thing on those games. If you had, say, 3 people ahead of you use the system with their phones. When they were finished, if you walked up and hit start, it would automatically start a 3-player game with those last people's insider connect account. What I found is that you have to either wait 20 seconds for it to log them out, or you have to push and hold the right flipper button for 5 seconds to log them out.

I realize that's not what this guy did, but I had accidentally played several 3-player games until I figured out what was going on.

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from NashtyFunk:

Wasn't y'all because it was on the machine on the other side, next to the Monster Bash. I think that guy's total score was like 50MM and almost all of it was on ball 3.

Ah ok, yea Pat had 280M+ at the end, I think he was just Showdown away from re-lighting High Noon. GC was a bit over 300M.

#62 2 years ago

As I get older, I tolerate this crap less and less. I would have immediately pulled out my phone, snapped a pic of the person, checked for witnesses, and informed both the venue and police. Things would turn ugly if they got in my face. Might be a tad harsh, but I think these people deserve a swift kick in the nuts and maybe loss of a few fingers. (Im joking about this last part…..well, kinda) Kudos to anyone that can handle this situation calmly.

#63 2 years ago
    Quoted from SpyroFTW:

As I get older, I tolerate this crap less and less. I would have immediately pulled out my phone, snapped a pic of the person, checked for witnesses, and informed both the venue and police. Things would turn ugly if they got in my face. Might be a tad harsh, but I think these people deserve a swift kick in the nuts and maybe loss of a few fingers. (Im joking about this last part…..well, kinda) Kudos to anyone that can handle this situation calmly.

Informed the police he played 2 games?? I'm sure they would get right on that!

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Informed the police he played 2 games?? I'm sure they would get right on that!

For threatening physical harm.

#65 2 years ago

I actually love the idea of signs or cards on the machines. I realize that some people are just jerks, but I'm sure there are many who just didn't know. This was my first Expo and I specifically asked my husband what the etiquette was before we even left the house. Common sense to me, but common sense isn't so common anymore.

We were very lucky and only had this happen to us once. I was waiting in line for Sonic with my son who was EXTREMELY excited to play it (again... he kept going back). We waited patiently through a single player game followed by a 2 player game. The two player game took quite awhile and I could tell he was getting restless. The first players ball drained and he said goodbye and left while the 2nd player had his last ball. I told my son it was his turn next to get him pumped up... but no. This guy started a new game. We had to wait another 10-15 minutes and he finally left when my husband came up. I'm not sure he would have left had my husband not come up.

On a separate note, we were playing a 3 player Wizard Of Oz when my son suddenly needed to use the bathroom. My husband left in a rush and I was left alone on a 3 player game. When he returned I told him that I hoped nobody thought I had done that on purpose and was a bit embarrassed. I also hit the button too many times on Godzilla once... it was just a shaky hand... but nobody was in line so me and my son just played it through. My husband saw when he came over and then showed us how to reset it (we had no idea).

So yea... some people are jerks, but some just don't know. OP obviously was dealing with a total jerk and I agree... I would have reported him to security ASAP.

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from SpyroFTW:

For threatening physical harm.

Oh sorry didn't see that I thought you were referring to playing additional games. Appologies.

#67 2 years ago

Geez. Usually and especially when I'm alone I'll invite whoever's in line behind me to play a 2 or 3 player game together. They usually say no, but I always like to ask. It's a great way to make single serving friends.

#68 2 years ago

This hobby is really going down hill!! Lol...jk

#69 2 years ago
    Quoted from Envy-Me:

I had some jerk that was playing a two player game by himself on the stern Jurassic park outside the vendor area. It was about two pm on Friday, and the vendor area didn’t open till four, so it was the only Jurassic park available.
    My five year old son wanted to play the dinosaur game, and he, my wife and I waited patiently for 15 min or so while he was finishing his game(s). On his “second” ball three, I said some to my son something to the effect of “ok, it’s his last ball, you’ll get to go next!”. The dude played a pretty long ball, got multi ball, etc, and then finally his game was over. My wife says, “alright Josh, it’s your turn.” Certainly the dude was aware we wanted the machine next.
    The guy turns around, looks right at my boy and hits the credit button, Starts a new game. I couldn’t believe it! We rolled our eyes and decided to move on to another game. Seriously, Who robs a five year old of a pinball game?!? I said to my wife, for people like that, there’s a special place in hell where you get eaten by dinosaurs.
    The rest of the show was great, we had a lot of fun and most people were respectful. Josh loved TMNT , WOZ and avengers.
    But there’s always “that” guy. You can’t let it wreck your fun!
    [quoted image]

Ugg...please bring the little dude to MGC this weekend, and please let me or one of the other arcade crew know if anyone pulls something like this (or especially the threats mentioned earlier). I will be more than happy to rectify the situation for you. It's one thing to be clueless or ignorant...it's another to just be a jerk.

#70 2 years ago

I had it happen twice this weekend. Separate people, both looked back and stealthily reached down and started a game. I let them both know it was a dick move.

#71 2 years ago
    Quoted from bbaker2824:

I had it happen twice this weekend. Separate people, both looked back and stealthily reached down and started a game. I let them both know it was a dick move.

Congratulate them with a slap on the back, surreptitiously sticking a KICK ME, I HOG GAMES sign to them!

#72 2 years ago

On a positive, the vast majority of people were kind and considerate, like normal human beings. It was rare that someone was being a selfish dick.

#73 2 years ago

I am thinking the solution might be to spend the next 363 days hitting the gym and bulking up. Then show up in a muscle shirt. When the guy starts the second and and you tap him on the shoulder and let him know it's your turn he might think twice about mouthing off and instead walk away.

The insider connect thing was rather annoying in the show setting as well. Played a lot of games logged in as someone else. And waiting for people to log in.

#74 2 years ago
    Quoted from joshvandam:

So my buddy and I have been going to expo for years and attendees are generally courteous and respectful of each other which makes the event enjoyable for all. This year we were walked up to a Godzilla with someone playing and another couple waiting for there turn. The person playing finished their game and let the couple play so we were next in the queue. When there game was over they immediately started another game knowing we were patiently waiting next. I then told him we would like a turn as well since they already had one and the guy flipped his shit and was ready to throw down right there in the vendor hall. He basically said I was lucky he didn’t kick my ass right there and to be thankful he is only playing 2 games and not 20. Not looking to have a fight over a game of Godzilla I just told him he was being very disrespectful to other gamers and left. Anyone have this happen? Was I wrong to even say anything to begin with? Although it may be hard to enforce and most are respectful anyway should this be an actual rule that everyone play 1 game and let others have a turn if they are waiting?

First of all, could anyone have imagined if this poster was Gryszzz and this happened to him? We would be reading about the guy taken off in an ambulance.

Dude, I give you all the credit in the world for your restraint. I can 100% assure anyone that I would not have been so passive with some jerkoff like that, especially if he threatened me.

In hindsight, yeah, you should have reported this asshole. I can understand frustrations and emotions can get high, but threats are just way over the line.

#75 2 years ago

At least take a picture of the asshole and post it here. And not just their backside.....

#76 2 years ago

I go to expo and tpf a lot and have never had anyone start another game while waiting. Must be lucky I guess. I've actually never had a bad experience from anyone at these shows yet to be perfectly honest...knock on wood.

#77 2 years ago

I would bet most of us here tell our kids not to take crap and punch a bully instead of tattleing but most people in here are saying you should've tattled so maybe I'm wrong. -shoulda decked him IMO.

#78 2 years ago

We used to say No ! Eddie Murphy's ( plays 4 people ) . I hate when people play 1 or 2 balls and leave the game - you walk up and finsh their game so you can start another and get a stink eye from someone because you started another game !

#79 2 years ago

#80 2 years ago

On the new sterns can't you just hold down the start button to end the current game?

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from TenaciousT:

We used to say No ! Eddie Murphy's ( plays 4 people ) . I hate when people play 1 or 2 balls and leave the game - you walk up and finsh their game so you can start another and get a stink eye from someone because you started another game !

Just hold the start button and it will start a new game.

#82 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

The insider connect thing was rather annoying in the show setting as well. Played a lot of games logged in as someone else. And waiting for people to log in.

It's a simple fix.. I think Stern will learn their lesson and simply configure the games right next time

#83 2 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

Unplug it for them

Here in Dallas you'll get crucified by the locals for unplugging a game that isn't yours, or even turning it off. But speaking for myself, if you see my games at a show and something is clearly wrong and you -don't- turn it off, personally, I think you're a turd. Someone being a ball hog doesn't count. If they're abusing the machine, by all means, please do, and then notify event staff.

Quoted from NashtyFunk:

Can't hate a dude for having a baller game, but every time he drained and I thought we'd get to play there was a "shoot again" going on. It was tough trying to be patient with a 7 year old, but cant hate on a great game.

I highly recommend not lining up behind me at TPF, since I've gotten wizard modes on ball 1 at the show, and had an absolutely MONSTER game on JJPOTC when it still had the spinning discs.

For real though, exhibitors (both collectors and vendors) should really set it to max 1 EB or 0 EBs at all for shows. It's nice to get the EB, but there's just too many people at these shows for that junk. It's no different than setting 0 EBs for tournaments, and the same reason. All modern games (homebrew notwithstanding) can do this, it's no big deal.

#84 2 years ago
    Quoted from NashtyFunk:

I was kind of shocked to see a guy playing a 4 player game of Monster bash (I think the only one there) with people waiting behind him.
    I watched him take his sweet time since I was in line for CCr and a guy got like 4 extra balls and played for 30 minutes (2 guys playing a 2 player game).
    I’d have never thought anyone would think that was okay.
    I also wished they’d turn off extra balls on games like CCr where it’s the first time anyone can play them. Seems like moving the line along would give more folks a chance at them.

I didn't see it mentioned, but at the Allentown show Spooky had Ultraman on one ball and someone was standing there enforcing it all weekend. It kept things moving nice for everyone like myself who just wanted to see what it was like, and if you wanted more you could always just hop back in line.

#85 2 years ago

Sheesh.... No one should be that stressed out over a pinball game to threaten someone. Adulting kinda sucks sometimes especially
    when other Adults don't. Glad you were not having a bad day and take the bait.

#86 2 years ago

As long as you let us watch you go hard on it, then we're good

Quoted from Frax:

Here in Dallas you'll get crucified by the locals for unplugging a game that isn't yours, or even turning it off.

I highly recommend not lining up behind me at TPF, since I've gotten wizard modes on ball 1 at the show, and had an absolutely MONSTER game on JJPOTC when it still had the spinning discs.
    For real though, exhibitors (both collectors and vendors) should really set it to max 1 EB or 0 EBs at all for shows. It's nice to get the EB, but there's just too many people at these shows for that junk. It's no different than setting 0 EBs for tournaments, and the same reason.

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

I would bet most of us here tell our kids not to take crap and punch a bully instead of tattleing but most people in here are saying you should've tattled so maybe I'm wrong. -shoulda decked him IMO.

I think there’s a difference between getting detention as a kid and going to court, potentially losing your job etc. as an adult.

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from NashtyFunk:

As long as you let us watch you go hard on it, then we're good

One day, TPF will have a stream for the tournament qualifiers and finals......one day...

Really looking forward to destroying an Ultraman....

#89 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Post etiquette cards on each game. We’ve never had a report of this behavior at Pincinnati and if it does happen, please come tell Jerry or myself.

It's a combination of folks not knowing the etiquette and the few who do but don't care. The cards, and maybe a flyer handout with your day pass ticket explaining it along with how to treat the machines will help take care of the first group and some of the second who cannot now feign ignorance of the rules. The rest, well it is appropriate to let the staff know the person and not ruin YOUR experience and others around you by getting into it with an obvious loser.

#90 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballNewb:

I think there’s a difference between getting detention as a kid and going to court, potentially losing your job etc. as an adult.

Worth it.

#91 2 years ago

Haha. Fair enough.

#92 2 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Next time find the little booth hidden in the corner and play ours, open most of the time!
    [quoted image]

HAHAHA, I played yours more than any in the hall. It was a secret little corner.

#93 2 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Next time find the little booth hidden in the corner and play ours, open most of the time!
    [quoted image]

seriously, how did I miss a TZ hidden at Expo?

#94 2 years ago
    Quoted from NashtyFunk:

It was rare that someone was being a selfish dick.

Nash deals with me on an almost daily basis, so his perception of dick-ish behavior is skewed......

#95 2 years ago

I noticed a dude wearing a HD shirt or jacket on 4 player games more than once. And a husband and wife doing the same.
    From here on out if i notice this I am simply going to ask them if I can play player 2 and 4. If they say no, fuck it, turn it off. Kill them with kindness and let them choose the response.

#96 2 years ago
    Quoted from TenaciousT:

I have to remember that. Eddie Murphys.

#97 2 years ago

Man you just can't start throwing punches at a pinball show. You think a 5-year old is traumatized by an asshole who won't let him play pinball? How you think he'd feel about a bunch of middle-aged guys breaking out into full-scale rumble? How do you think he'd feel about seeing his dad get hauled off to jail for the night or kicked out of a pinball show?

I never saw my dad get thrown out of an conference or an Applebees and I was def better off for it.

#98 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Man you just can't start throwing punches at a pinball show. You think a 5-year old is traumatized by an asshole who won't let him play pinball? How you think he'd feel about a bunch of middle-aged guys breaking out into full-scale rumble? How do you think he'd feel about seeing his dad get hauled off to jail for the night or kicked out of a pinball show?
    I never saw my dad get thrown out of an conference or an Applebees and I was def better off for it.

Levi, they already said it’d be worth it.

#99 2 years ago

Ah, so we're back to these pre-pandemic etiquette threads; honestly I had forgotten aboot them.

#100 2 years ago

Quoted from PinballNewb:

it's always pretty easy to identify the person who's never actually gone to court and lost their job over some tough guy nonsense that they could've easily avoided.

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-etiquette/page/2?hl=redwizard000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.