1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 1,660 posts
  • 270 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 60 days ago by terrapinmark
  • Topic is favorited by 59 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“For those that have attended the Expo Banquet before, what would you change?”

• Nothing 15 votes
      6%
    • Skip the fancy food, make it Burgers and Fries at a cheaper cost. 46 votes
      18%
    • Shorten the event, make it super cheap or free, and have no meal at all. 19 votes
      7%
    • I don't care about the banquet. 176 votes
      69%

(256 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 293 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_46311 (resized).jpg
    43BFFCCA-1 (resized).jpg
    pacak pickers (resized).png
    20181201_153948 (resized).jpg
    20181028_150630 (resized).jpg
    20181028_144801 (resized).jpg
    20181028_143202 (resized).jpg
    SteveRichieRum (resized).jpg
    20181019_184054 (resized).jpg
    20181018_125743 (resized).jpg
    20181020_194155 (resized).jpg
    20181020_231747 (resized).jpg
    20181017_193751 (resized).jpg
    20181020_161621 (resized).jpg
    20181018_180035 (resized).jpg
    20181020_144751 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yancy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

At the very least have cold beer vendors on the floor and lunch trucks outside.

I'm guessing food trucks would be difficult if not impossible due to all the restaurants in the hotel and adjoining parking lot.

As much as I love the idea of food trucks, that one-niche industry is oversaturated. Quality has suffered now that every schmuck has a truck. Brewery tap rooms around the Chicago 'burbs often have them on site; nothing to write home about. All the truck food I tried at TPF ranged from mediocre to ice cold.

1 month later
    #53 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I can't keep straight which show is which and which is still happening.

Rob announced a show... then there were two... then there is one? I don't know which is which anymore..

None of that other stuff is happening. There is only the usual Expo. Show up, have fun, ignore the old drama.

2 weeks later
    #80 1 year ago
    Quoted from s1500:

I can't think of any other convention that just shuts down everything else in favor of one sub-event. That would be impossible at any other shows. "Okay, no game room or vending, everyone line up for food!"

Free play hall has been open during the banquet for the last few years.

Old timers seem to like the banquet. Seems overpriced to me. If it started this year, I don't think attendance would be very high, but momentum is a powerful thing.

2 months later
    #238 1 year ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

It would seem that Ep is correct...Not sure I want to go to the show this year or not...

Expo is bigger than any one or two men. The people make the show. If we all just show up, bring games & vend, Expo will be Expo. All of this "I dunno, might stay home" hand-wringing is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Don't let the drama win. Let's have a great show.

#251 1 year ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

On the other hand; If the attendees pull together to make the show decent and the organizers could not, you're earning them money for failing to properly run a show.

I don't really care as long as I have a good local show to attend.

#335 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I wonder how many of those 200 machines in Rob B's collection fully work?

Judging from the ones he brings to Expo, not many. Same goes for Mike's rare games which I guess worked okay at one point but quickly went downhill year after year. Those are guys who run (ran) a pinball show, not pinball guys.

#424 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrbillishere:

There was always this one guy with super long hair still plugging away at the remaining pins, but that was it.

Story checks out.

lastmanstanding.jpg
    #443 1 year ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

It's the great problem with any show, the final day is tough to attract people to, but if you eliminate it, you just make a new final day and the problem restarts.

This. So much this. I'd rather Expo eliminate Wednesday than Sunday. MGC figured out a way to make Sunday great: family day. For most casual show attendees, the weekend is their only real chance to attend. Expo barely ever had a Sunday, and now there will barely be a Saturday night.

#501 1 year ago

$200 a night? Jesus Harold Christ, glad I’m local.

#590 1 year ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

Wasn't that a levee to keep water out when the creek next door would flood ?

Yup. But don't let Occam's Razor get in the way of a good CONspiracy.

#611 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

More BERK shenanigans.....

Ever have like, a shred of proof behind any of your wacky allegations?

#618 1 year ago

Well I'm convinced.

1 week later
    #713 1 year ago

Probably best to spend the first xmas after a divorce apart. Don’t wanna fight in front of the kids.

1 week later
    #997 12 months ago

Charging separately for seminars definitely seems to be an antiquated show model.

#1271 11 months ago

There's a reason Expo has stayed the same size for 20 years while MGC has grown from a high school cafeteria to a massive convention center.

#1391 11 months ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

That was Rob Anthony, the board guy. Thats a smaller setup than he normally has.

Rob is unquestionably King of the Fits.

#1392 11 months ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

SFGE has you leave keys with them in a big box, and the repair techs take care of issues so game bringers can actually enjoy the show.

I'd gladly leave my keys for a show tech to free stuck balls, make minor repairs, etc. Feels like Expo is pretty far from having a team of techs, but hey, I also thought they'd never drop the banquet. I'd volunteer for a tech shift (or people could actually be hired since this is a for-profit show, but that's a whole other ball of wax).

#1405 11 months ago

...and thank YOU Rob Craig. Every word of that deservedly long post is appreciated. Seems like you were everywhere at the same time all weekend, always smiling. Might be premature to say it's the best Expo I've attended in 18 years, but it's definitely in the conversation.

#1406 11 months ago
    Quoted from RobCraig:

Karl Marsicek - who even brought me a jar of Peanut Butter and a knife!
    Vince Loeffler, Greg O'Hara, Chris Kubiak - these 4 I consider as the new Mafia.
    Mike Gasper (thanks for the power strip!), Gio, Craig Comparato, and Rob Kotot - The old Mafia came alive!

Karl, Vince & Kubie are also old Mafia. CPM represent!

#1503 11 months ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Be good if free game room and vendor room were open to each other, when they are both open.

This!

#1573 11 months ago

I guess if you try hard enough you can be miserable anywhere.

#1592 11 months ago
    Quoted from vanilla:

I have a real throat and head cold now, thanks to smokers.

I hate smoke, but this is impossible.

7 months later
    #1650 4 months ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

it would have been great if one of the camera pans revealed the head for the evel knievel that they never found

Ha! I'm kinda glad they didn't find it; that game is probably better used as a coffee table.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 24.50
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 225.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 15.45
    Gameroom - Decorations
    KAHR.US Circuits
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 15.75
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 10.50
    Playfield - Decals
    The MOD Couple
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 199.99
    $ 126.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 125.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 27.95
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    DevilsMuse Arcade
    $ 49.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yancy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside