1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 1,660 posts
  • 270 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 64 days ago by terrapinmark
  • Topic is favorited by 59 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“For those that have attended the Expo Banquet before, what would you change?”

• Nothing 15 votes
      6%
    • Skip the fancy food, make it Burgers and Fries at a cheaper cost. 46 votes
      18%
    • Shorten the event, make it super cheap or free, and have no meal at all. 19 votes
      7%
    • I don't care about the banquet. 176 votes
      69%

(256 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 293 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_46311 (resized).jpg
    43BFFCCA-1 (resized).jpg
    pacak pickers (resized).png
    20181201_153948 (resized).jpg
    20181028_150630 (resized).jpg
    20181028_144801 (resized).jpg
    20181028_143202 (resized).jpg
    SteveRichieRum (resized).jpg
    20181019_184054 (resized).jpg
    20181018_125743 (resized).jpg
    20181020_194155 (resized).jpg
    20181020_231747 (resized).jpg
    20181017_193751 (resized).jpg
    20181020_161621 (resized).jpg
    20181018_180035 (resized).jpg
    20181020_144751 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vdojaq.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

The banquet the way it is (was) terrible. It has the bad stigma of being a means to keep you held hostage until the hall opens up again watching everyone pat themselves on the back and congratulate themselves just to get to the part to watch industry insiders get fleeced for the charity auction is tiring. Now, the auction itself is a great thing and I'm not trying to slight those efforts in the least. But the whole thing has a stuffy furniture doily approach to it that needs updating.
    I envision something a little more free form, more of like an after party, with a quick to the point news session and game of the show announcements are presented. Perhaps roll the stern party into it and make it good quality time with new games and the designers engineers companies that made them possible . This should also be the part where people who went out of their way to support the show by vending and bringing games are thanked (They should get free tickets).
    The auction should be a separate event with more attendance to generate more excitement, like the auction used to be long ago.
    Just some quick thoughts.

Have the Auction Sunday morning to generate more excitement for that day.

1 month later
    #54 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Instead, my wife and I will drive 6 hours to the Pinball Life open house, spend the day there Saturday, then drive 6 hours home on Sunday

Has this been announced already?

#65 1 year ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

on Saturdays / early sundays very late over nights the game room really seems to start clearing out by 1am or later.

And that is exactly what I was wondering. Just how many people are in the free play room after 2am?

1 month later
    #117 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I'm guessing JJP isn't gonna do a reveal at Expo this year. But I have been wrong, twice, in my whole life.

I have been saying this since last year's Expo. All of their eggs are in the Pirates basket.

1 month later
    #260 1 year ago

I looked at that quickly and saw AFTOR ! My mind playing tricks on me again....

#286 1 year ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

He has not said anything BECAUSE hes the one that did wrong by me period and he knows it. I was much more the face of expo and we had very little comunication because he chose that not me. WE together could have made expo greater I deserved that after putting my heart into that show for 33 years

Mike, please stop. We get it. However, you must realize AND take ownership that you were also that same face of Expo that turned many people off and vedors away from the show. Maybe a year break is the best thing for you to regroup and prepare for another go around.

#290 1 year ago
    Quoted from SuperDaveOsbourn:

The other issue is stinky creepy guys that don't bathe and freak folks out.

There is plenty of this in the freeplay room. Need a febreeze station in there.

#389 1 year ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Rob Antony, I would do EM repairs in your repair room, if someone needed that. actually sounds like a good idea!

I think everyone can lay off Clay now, this is an exceptional gesture and it appears it is coming to fruition!

#401 1 year ago

Are you going to Expo? If so, we need to have a cold one or three.

#405 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

I'll have a cold one (or three) with you if you sell me your Apollo 13...

Not a chance. Went and bought that from Clay years ago because my wife played it at Dayhoff's 12 hours of pinball and decided that was a pinball we should own. It's a machine that will probably never leave.

#464 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

No RRRRandyyyy this year?
    [quoted image]

No one needs to be reminded of that pedophile moron.

1 week later
    #593 1 year ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

Say what you want good or bad BERK really did nothing much to promote show for years.. I asked for years to meet about it. \he was always tooooo busy if we together after doing show for 33 years and friends for like 35 had tried to make changes and promote it could have been great.. He just decided to buy me out but clearly gave me the right to do a show AND stated everywhere and to me that he was not doing westin and I could so thats the legal issue here unfortunatly between lawyers and his stall tactics no hearing yet was filed way back in june originally so plain and simple westin contract was MINE and he took it period...

B-R-O-K-E-N R-E-C-O-R-D

#604 1 year ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Maybe it’s a one off problem. Idk what happened. If I can’t get the rate I’ll cancel staying over and buy a color dmd instead. Just irritated.

Do you have a confirmation # ? If so, get a manager on the phone and demand they correct it. If nothing happens call corporate and demand they get involved. If you do not have a confirmation #, you are shit out of luck.

#628 1 year ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

So.... after 35 minutes on the phone with Cs, i have a res for fri and sat night, but they won’t give me the expo rate even though I booked in April. So it’s 259 a night. So I tell them to cancel sat so the total cost is the same. They tell me I can’t cancel sat because they don’t have availability. What? I have fri and sat already, I want to drop sat and just stay fri. They say I can’t. Wow. So I’m going to cancel the whole damn thing. How messed up,is that? To go from 2 rooms/2 nights to 1/2 and because of their stupidity now they have nothing. Way to run a business Westin!
    Cancelled. I’ll still go, staying at holiday inn down road for $105 with free breakfast. Cancelled credit card used to hold reservation, in case they claim I’m a no show.
    Not cool. Not the shows fault, just a crappy reservation system I guess. But customer no service totally blew it.

You never answered if you had a confirmation # or not! If you did, this is all pure bullshit they are pulling.

1 week later
    #711 1 year ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I agree, he should be able to attend.
    However, sounds like there are multiple? lawsuits happening, and if so it is probably best he does not for this year.

This would be in his best interest.

#781 1 year ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

I was alway all over this forum and answered every question quickly I officially am banned from the show per a letter from berks lawyer and if I attend I will be charged with trespassing this is complete bullshit as i did nothing wrong.. was supposed to have court hearings before show but he has postponed and stalled them all...

Mike,

Seriously, it's a good thing you are not going this year. It would be way TOO much drama if you were there and that's not to say it would be your fault. You have to let the lawyers handle it at this point. Maybe taking this year off will allow everyone to cool off, and better heads will prevail. You never know, Berk may even change his tune after doing this solo. At the same time you should stop coming here to complain, it does not make one damn thing any better.

#818 1 year ago
    Quoted from not4tilts:

Just saw a commercial on CBS (Channel 2 - Chicago) for the Expo. I don't remember ever seeing that before..

I saw it too....free play room is going to get a serious workout.

#898 1 year ago
    Quoted from RobCraig:

We can't make this happen at the Westin. I pitched the idea, we talked to hotel staff, and they said no. Once the Westin contract is over - I hope another venue will allow it and it will be a priority with Rob Berk. He has this in mind moving forward.

Please tell us Berk is working this out to be at the Schaumburg location?!?! I have been there for a Tech Expo on several occasions and that place rocks.

#1162 12 months ago
    Quoted from vbittnv:

Was just there this morning.... not sure if I really agree. Lots of EM, lots off , and a bunch not working. Perhaps Im spoiled in chicago with all of the great barcades, but paying $30 for today so far was 100% not worth it for me.
    Games I came to play
    Godzilla. Off
    Dark knight off
    Totan: one ball missing error
    And twd premium.. not there but was pictured yesterday.
    does anyone know if they moved the walking dead premium that was in the free room yesterday? Was it sold and removed?
    Hope the main room is better tonight.

I agree on this. Last night, by 10:30pm about 25% of the games in the free play room were shut off. Some of these machine were piles of crap and barely worked to begin with. You know you are in trouble when there are multiple Sinbads and Night Riders. If it wasn't for 2 rows of Berk's machines, it would have been a disaster. Don't get me wrong, there were some really fantastic games in there too. The arcade games in the Free Play room were not much better. Tried to play Jungle King, no left or right movement from the joystick. Tried to play frogger, the joystick was garbage again. Many of those too were turned off. I don't see how the free play room is going to survive the crowds today and saturday. The arcade room(new room/old seminar room) had some more pinballs around the outer perimeter that seemed to be all in working order. There is two big rows of arcade games in there that no one was playing, well except for Jay Brand. I walked up to to a Super Punch Out, again, the joystick was all fucked up and half the movements didn't work. That was enough for me.

The vendor's room, that is the crown jewel of the show. It was a real good mix of vendors and lot's of new games in there on Free Play. It was nice to see Mayfair Amusements there. Got to play Thunderbirds from Homepin, what a hunk of shit(Sorry @GAP). The flippers felt like I was playing something from a 70's Williams EM. The "accoutrements" on the playfield looked like cheap shit from China(it is cheap shit from China). A couple of vendors won't let you touch the machines unless you intend to buy, but hey, it's their investments.

Overall the vibe seemed pretty damn cool. I got to play lots of pinball and buy a few needed parts for my $19 Groupon entry ticket. The tournaments were packed as usual. It was my only day/night free for Expo this year. I will be heading over to the Pinball Life Party in about an hour. I know there is good shit to play there and get to see if Jay Brand is sober. That will be my Expo weekend.

#1291 12 months ago
    Quoted from vidgameseller:

Glad you enjoyed totan, I've have had a bunch of people come up to me to thank me for bringing it. It's the comments like that which keep me bringing games to shows. The people that bitch on here is what keeps some from doing it.

There is a difference between bitching and the truth. There are some shit machines there just so someone can get a wristband for the 4 days.

Tired of people complaining about some of the games that go down. Yes there are some poor quality games. But seems many forget that the games are going to be on for over 70 hours straight. I bet most of those that bitch have never had a game on that long, things happen, pinballs break.

I have 3 pins and 3 arcades that are on for 11 hours a day, 5 days a week, and 6 hours on Saturdays at my shop. Shit happens, but these machines were built to withstand that kind of use, even in horseshit environments.

Lastly, I truly appreciate those that call to say an issue about a game. Between the twelve games I've got here, I've had around a dozen or so balls trapped, when I get a call, I'm usually there within minutes. But I only have had about six calls to tell me. If you have something happen while playing one of my games, I do appreciate you shutting it off, but please go one step further and call or text, this way I can take care of it.

Absolutely. Cant get them fixed quickly if the owners don't know about it. Different story if the owner(s) just don't care about it.

#1307 12 months ago
    Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

The gal at the freeplay room was a bit snarky, but the microcop was real nice. I don’t know why she didn’t just call him. I commited to buy one of the machines in the freeplay room, but left it for the seller to bring back to St. Louis. I had to leave to get back to work.I was impressed with the row of machines on the back wall, Mati Hari, Waterworld, and the hockey themed pin, I don’t remember the name. (Geordie Howe?)

Bobby Orr Power Play by Bally

#1318 12 months ago
    Quoted from Langless28:

So he's still the highest score. He said he would sell it for $3k obo. It has to be removed from hotel by 4pm Sunday. Breaks down into 4 pieces and is 13' long.
    Let Me know. [quoted image][quoted image]

Did he win it and did he sell it?

#1338 12 months ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

The game room....there were about 20 games in the 24 hour room that never worked, or were never on. I'm probably being conservative saying 20.

Then I am not the only one who saw the same thing. This was my only issue with Expo this year. Otherwise, it was a really good time.

#1340 12 months ago
    Quoted from vbittnv:

I thought the vendor hall was much better than the last 4 years for sure and it was a huge improvement, The homebrew room with the arcades was a great room. The 24 hour pin room was one of two problems for me. Lots of duds / never on games.. next year Ill bring an old garbage picked non working EM and park it there for 3 free days of wristbands.
    And to agree with several other posters.. this is a "trade show".. Ive been to many trade shows and once the have opening night (Thursday for example for this expo), then the next day is a full day... Friday should have been open all day, especially since Sunday was axed ( which was a good idea).
    Fix the 24 hour game room duds and open up Friday at a reasonable time and it would have been amazing.

It would be perfect. However, I would believe the 6pm Friday opening has to do with the Party at Pinball Life. Lot's of these vendors want to be able to head over there.

#1409 12 months ago
    Quoted from spinout:

Black Hole was down -

I don't think it ever played the entire show

#1539 11 months ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Hahaha. Love how all of Gryszzz’s photos are blurry.

Maybe I shouldn't have given him my extra drink tickets at the Pinball Life party.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 72.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 499.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 134.95
    Lighting - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 139.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    € 4.20
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 89.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vdojaq.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside