Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,674 posts
  • 270 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Joe_Blasi
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“For those that have attended the Expo Banquet before, what would you change?”

• Nothing 16 votes
      6%
    • Skip the fancy food, make it Burgers and Fries at a cheaper cost. 46 votes
      18%
    • Shorten the event, make it super cheap or free, and have no meal at all. 19 votes
      7%
    • I don't care about the banquet. 178 votes
      69%

(259 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_46311 (resized).jpg
    43BFFCCA-1 (resized).jpg
    pacak pickers (resized).png
    20181201_153948 (resized).jpg
    20181028_150630 (resized).jpg
    20181028_144801 (resized).jpg
    20181028_143202 (resized).jpg
    SteveRichieRum (resized).jpg
    20181019_184054 (resized).jpg
    20181018_125743 (resized).jpg
    20181020_194155 (resized).jpg
    20181020_231747 (resized).jpg
    20181017_193751 (resized).jpg
    20181020_161621 (resized).jpg
    20181018_180035 (resized).jpg
    20181020_144751 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tamoore.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#296 5 years ago

For some reason, I'm thinking of going this year.

#298 5 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Bring / buy plenty of alcohol if go.

Popcorn. Might need a lot of popcorn.........

#303 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

You should!!

Ok. Booked my room. Will probably bring a machine too. And beer. And popcorn.

#309 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

i really dont get the whiny ass bitchin about the "penalty" For years, everyone has bitched that sunday sucked because everyone pulled their games early and left. So now there is a "penalty" if you do that, and guess what, people are still bitchin.
    Now lets put this into reality, which I think some will have a hard time comprehending.
    It technically is not a penalty, If you bring a game, for the duration of the show, you get specific compensation for it, which includes at the least, a days admission for each day that you have the machine on the floor. You are getting that admission paid in advance, as you will be able to walk around and enjoy the show all day as long as your game is in their. If you "CHOOSE" to remove the game early, its not like you can give back the day of walking around and seeing seminars, vendor hall, and freeplay hall. So at that time, you need to pay the show the cost of a day admission, something that you already used. Why people are complaining is beyond me, except for this current world that we live in that everyone believes they are owed and entitled something

I think they're saying your game has to stay until Saturday, 8pM. Sunday might still suck...

#311 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Sunday was removed from the schedule, wasn't it ?
    LTG : )

Worst. Sunday. Ever.

#318 5 years ago

I just ask that the room is open to take games out early on Sunday. I don't want to wait around too long to get on the road....

#320 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

the room is usually empty by 10am from the past years.
    Also, just so others that like to complain can compare, Midwest Gaming Classic has an even larger "penalty" for early removal. And there are other shows that flat out wont let you take games until a specific time on Sunday.
    Hell, there was a huge fiasco at MGC last year on the show games, that if you removed your game prior to 5PM on Sunday, you forfeited the $500 discount that you received for buying a show game. So now they have had to change the way show games were handled, since everyone was not told of this penalty when they paid in full for the games weeks earlier.
    You will never please everyone, so lets just leave it at that

I couldn't bring a game to a show that required that.

#330 5 years ago

I think the model "you stay as long as your games stay" is probably good, as long as the game is there in good faith to be working and you are trying to keep it working as long as it stays.

#334 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

the buyer is not the one that would have the "penalty" so if you buy a game and rush it out the door, your not penalized, but the right thing to do would be to leave it

Yea.. I wasn't thinking in terms of selling a game.
    If you're bringing a game to sell, the listing fee is you don't get anything for bringing it other than access to the market?

#432 5 years ago
    Quoted from SuperDaveOsbourn:

"Chicago was responsible for nearly half of 2016's increase in homicides in the US, though the nation's crime rates remain near historic lows" Kinda says it all. The advice on where to go or not go was welcomed. I'll pass on Chicago for a lot of reasons, mostly those mentioned already.

Where the show isn't what I call "Chicago". It's as safe as anywhere I've ever been.

#442 5 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Yup, I was going to say the same thing. I expect that Saturday will be impacted at least somewhat by people pulling their games to leave earlier. The fee that they pay for removal is interesting, although having it such a late time is interesting.
    It's the great problem with any show, the final day is tough to attract people to, but if you eliminate it, you just make a new final day and the problem restarts.

I don't think so.
    A final day being Sunday means I have to leave Sunday morning.
    A final day being Saturday means I have to leave Sunday morning.

Same.

#452 5 years ago

My game will be there until Sunday mor ....

#474 5 years ago

If this is the case, how come so many folks are considering cutting a night out due to policy/procedure of the show format and focus. My guess, and yes its a guess, they are scrambling hard to figure out what will work, against what they want to do for the customers. Yes, customers. If they did what was right for the customers which are no industry types, the show would be more customer focused, and thus more nights. I don't agree they are focused on customer (non industry types) satisfaction at all... Hasn't been for a long time, if ever since for a long long time they were the only show in town, and in the US. Those days are LONG over.

It's an industry show that non industry people can rub elbows with the elite. It's not the same as the other shows. It shouldn't try to be the same.

#476 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Years ago... sure. But now, the "industry" is what... 100 people? That don't need a expo to communicate or find each other anymore... and no "industry" is going there to find other new "industry" people like a traditional tradeshow.
    These days it's a hobbyist convention that happens to be in the industry's backyard.

Let's just not have it, then...

#490 5 years ago

Turns out (s)he was a pedophile moron.....

#541 5 years ago

Clay and his crew run the best show in the country. There is little doubt of this.
    But, as Flynn has said, you can't really compare it to anything else. Unlike some of the full time pin museums, it's only open a couple days a year, and unlike almost all other shows, it has an on-hand collection that is part of the geography and doesn't need to be built and torn down in a 4 day time span. I like a lot of shows for a lot of reasons. They all have their bright spots. It's not a competition...

#573 5 years ago

Never has a user name more adequately and accurately described a user......

#608 5 years ago

My reservation is still good....

#610 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Wifi has always been free for the expo show rate, despite them not listing it as such. Has been true for several years. But really, who uses hotel internet now that most cellular plans give you tons of data?

you'd be amazed......

1 week later
    #693 5 years ago

Is the guy in the buggy with the dog, you know, the guy who yells at everyone all the time going to be there this year? He was a major drag, man!

#698 5 years ago

If he yells at you, would you need to listen to him?

#706 5 years ago
    Quoted from Trekie:

will Mike bring his air horn and blow it in someone's ear again?

Oh yea.. F that thing....

1 week later
    #1008 5 years ago

I used to put ketchup on hotdogs.....

I have no idea who I even was back then....

#1012 5 years ago

Leaving the suburbs of Detroit about 9:00 AM tomorrow morning. See you around 3:00 or so.....

#1089 5 years ago

I'm here. Where are you????

#1095 5 years ago

I see my horribly parked and famously dirty Escape!

#1187 5 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

Future thought, at our show we have a desk you can report broken games to where staff fill out a repair ticket and they get queued up for people to work on them and/or to notify the owner. This is super helpful for keeping the games on the floor running. Things break, no matter how much prep you do, but if you have a system in place for dealing with, you have a lot happier attendees (and happier game owners too, it's embarrassing to have your game on the floor broken!).

I tried to get into the secondary room to check on/work on/clean the game I brought (doors were wide open) , but I was told I couldn't get in until 6:00pm. I did my part.
    If you find it's not working, play something else, or find me and I'll give you the keys so you can fix it.

#1239 5 years ago

That's super crappy and I'd be pissed as hell as well. Super stupid that the mall cop at the door wouldn't listen to your very reasonable situation and let you in, and really idiotic that they called the police for nothing whatsoever. I hope this gets fixed for next year.

#1267 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Security guard isn't equipped nor empowered to make such calls. They did what they were supposed to do when someone isn't compliant.
    You made and assumption about redeeming your Groupon.... they didn't play out. But there is also some personal responsibility to acknowledge that buying tickets at 330am is not typical.
    Sucks you don't have other times to go... but take the human approach, not the "i am owed" approach.
    Groupon is a third party coupon.... stories of challenges redeeming go on for pages in all kinds of scenarios.
    Either way... doesn't negate there is a registration/redemption process for the event beyond paying money. That wasn't available after hours... that is your true sole complaint.

Don't agree. She should have done something, like, call one of the organizers to find a solution for a paying customer.

#1288 5 years ago

I think the free play room is good. Nice mix of all eras. Too many games off or not working, though.....

#1289 5 years ago
    Quoted from cavalier88z24:

honestly in years past because I live in wisconsin. I would have a girl friend drive down after work straight to the hotel and if i didn't get a wrist band in time, she wouldnt be able to get her in the free play hall. I can remember 2 years of all the years I've been going that happened.

I never had to get wristbands after hours, but I remember going into the game room in the middle of the night, and seeing the guard (who never seemed to sleep) sitting at a table, yawning, with a lock box in front of him

#1297 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Just had awesome lunch at superdawg. Best part is 20% got donated to juvenille diabetes research. If youre still around its a left out of lot and straight like a mile on left side. Great food, great cause![quoted image]

Ummm.. Where's the ketchup????

#1335 5 years ago

My review:

Staff was awesome. Load in game crew was helpful and appreciative.
    Registration was easy and friendly.

The room guards were generally fine. One OCD guy totally flipped his mellon because I had all three wristbands on (just kept putting the new one on, never taking the old one off). He demanded I take the old ones off before I could walk into the room. No problem. I took them off and three them away, but his modus operandi was somewhat control-freaky.

The show hours were weird. Not having the vendor room open until 6 on Friday seemed odd.
    I knew that I wouldn't be able to check on the game I brought after the secondary vendor room opened (I had other plans and wouldn't be around), so I saw the room opened and decided to go in to make sure it was in working order for the night. I was told I couldnt walk in, because I wasn't a vendor. Mrs Moore explained that I wanted to check on the game I brought to make sure it was working. Still told no. So I left and didn't come back that night. When I checked on it in the next morning, it was indeed not working, and I don't know how long it was out. This is a situation that should be fixed, imo.

The game room....there were about 20 games in the 24 hour room that never worked, or were never on. I'm probably being conservative saying 20. I didn't mind the video games. It was cool to see so many legendary games, even if I didn't play them...

vendor room was really nice (best I've seen at a pinball show), but opened just too late on Friday.

I was worried that I'd have an issue trying to get my game out early in the morning, but I met Mrs. Berk who was up early, got the room unlocked for me, arranged a silly for me, and made the experience quite enjoyable.

Nice reboot. I'll be back.

#1345 5 years ago

There were several games turned on that wouldn't start a game too. I appreciate the people who work hard keeping their games running. I noticed!

#1397 5 years ago

On some of my arcade games that don't have free play, I rig the coin return switch to hit a cherry switch to add a credit. It seems to work.

#1413 5 years ago

I will say... I never once used a phone number to report a problem with a game... so.... Bad on me, I suppose.....

#1484 5 years ago

I don't think I've ever bought anything at Expo. I might have checked out my cart at the Marco booth for free shipping once. That's it.
    I was after two things this year. A powerball, and a single 1/4 turn lamp socket. Couldn't find either.

#1512 5 years ago

Xpo is now treading water, and not well. It will sink, the locals will watch it happen with non-locals no longer coming to watch the ship break into two distinct pieces and much lost for later discover on the History Channel.

English-motherfr-do-you-speak-it (resized).jpgEnglish-motherfr-do-you-speak-it (resized).jpg
    #1513 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I'm still up. Thanks Expo.

Must have been all of that coffee!!!!!

#1515 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

[quoted image]

A game or two, here and there.....

#1519 5 years ago
    Quoted from ViolinSteve:

Is it any other way with Gryszzz? Security called on him three nights in a row (shocker!). Just glad nobody was hurt.

We were on the same floor, a few doors down. We could hear it all...

#1521 5 years ago
    Quoted from ViolinSteve:

Fortunately, I had my own room, on a different floor, all the way at the end. My safe zone.

Good call.

#1603 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

YEAH I'M A FUCKIN DRUNK BUT YOU'RE A LOUSY LOWLIFE WHO CANT DO NOTHIN FOR HIMSELF
    If you heard this at 2 am, hope ya raised yer glass. We did.

I heard it....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tamoore.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-2018-reboot-wheeling-il?tu=tamoore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.