Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,674 posts
  • 270 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Joe_Blasi
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“For those that have attended the Expo Banquet before, what would you change?”

• Nothing 16 votes
      6%
    • Skip the fancy food, make it Burgers and Fries at a cheaper cost. 46 votes
      18%
    • Shorten the event, make it super cheap or free, and have no meal at all. 19 votes
      7%
    • I don't care about the banquet. 178 votes
      69%

(259 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_46311 (resized).jpg
    43BFFCCA-1 (resized).jpg
    pacak pickers (resized).png
    20181201_153948 (resized).jpg
    20181028_150630 (resized).jpg
    20181028_144801 (resized).jpg
    20181028_143202 (resized).jpg
    SteveRichieRum (resized).jpg
    20181019_184054 (resized).jpg
    20181018_125743 (resized).jpg
    20181020_194155 (resized).jpg
    20181020_231747 (resized).jpg
    20181017_193751 (resized).jpg
    20181020_161621 (resized).jpg
    20181018_180035 (resized).jpg
    20181020_144751 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rbviessman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1371 5 years ago
    Quoted from RichieWrench:

Richie Wrench made an appearance last night.

Darn Rich! Too bad I left early. Didn’t get to see Richie Wrench.

#1375 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blacksun:

It doesn't seem like any new news/reveals coming out of the expo.... Is it me???

I talked to Jersey Jack..what a great down-to-Earth guy!! Anyway, he said they will never show a game being developed, but not ready for release, like they did with POTC. People don’t realize how long it takes to polish up a machine to be ready for release. Everything has to be perfect and reliable. And sometimes changes are made (like the spinning disks) that causes more grief. I have to respect that.

Will other vendors do early reveals? Who knows.

#1377 5 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

What is the JJP booth like, how many POTCs?

I’ve played all 4 JJPs. POTC is my favorite! I have one on order. Can’t wait!

#1385 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zavadoza:

What you don't understand is that Jack is releasing the company's 4th game and said it would ship in Q1 of 2018. So it's not that the public doesn't realize how mong it takes to make a game, it's that Jack and co
    didn't correctly forecast the game release because it was only half-baked a year ago.
    I'm glad they are making that change. I have all their games and support them, but a JJP employee said at TPF in March that they considered not revealing Pirates at expo last year. They knew better but did anyway and it bit them in lost momentum and canceled preorders. Oktoberfest and monster bash remake had longer lines all weekend, which surprised me because Pirates is a great game. Hype and momentum are important.

I've worked in IT for 35 years. Much of it related to software development. A good portion in management of software development. A few years working for a large manufacturing company. There are always many scenarios that lead to project delays.

I can imagine at least one scenario related to the 3 spinning disks. There were probably mechanical and/or software issues with having 3 disks. They probably spent a month or 2 trying to work on the issue and come up with a fix that allowed them to keep the 3 disks. At some point, repeated failures lead to a major decision to go to one disk. A tough decision for sure, but imagine the ripple effect that would have had. A redesign would have been required by engineering. Software development would have been involved to update code. A testing period would have to take place. This process could have taken 2 or 3 months. At some point, they have to call the parts manufacturer and say, "Those 6,000 disks you made for us, just throw them away. We'll send you new specs for a new single disk.". The manufacturer would have to retool and restart production. This same process would have occurred under the playfield. Who knows how long this took. Another couple months?

So, I applaud JJP for making a tough decision to make a long term reliable product! If I'm spending $9,500 for a high-end machine, I'd rather wait for it to be reliable long term.

Honestly I find it harder to wait for the production and delivery of my machine, now that production has started. LOL.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rbviessman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-2018-reboot-wheeling-il?tu=rbviessman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.