Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,674 posts
  • 270 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Joe_Blasi
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“For those that have attended the Expo Banquet before, what would you change?”

• Nothing 16 votes
      6%
    • Skip the fancy food, make it Burgers and Fries at a cheaper cost. 46 votes
      18%
    • Shorten the event, make it super cheap or free, and have no meal at all. 19 votes
      7%
    • I don't care about the banquet. 178 votes
      69%

(259 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_46311 (resized).jpg
    43BFFCCA-1 (resized).jpg
    pacak pickers (resized).png
    20181201_153948 (resized).jpg
    20181028_150630 (resized).jpg
    20181028_144801 (resized).jpg
    20181028_143202 (resized).jpg
    SteveRichieRum (resized).jpg
    20181019_184054 (resized).jpg
    20181018_125743 (resized).jpg
    20181020_194155 (resized).jpg
    20181020_231747 (resized).jpg
    20181017_193751 (resized).jpg
    20181020_161621 (resized).jpg
    20181018_180035 (resized).jpg
    20181020_144751 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 6 years ago

By Auction, we are talking aboot the Make A Wish (of Northern Illinois) Charity auction where maybe a dozen items are auctioned off such as translights, a business card or desk trinket from the desk of a Bally, Williams or Gottlieb employee that is no longer with us (who was Chicago Coin or Game Plan?), a bottom arch autographed by Centerflank & Rotordave, Backglasses, a restored pin or video game donated by Rob Berk and, until this year, a set of Mike Pacek's Pinball Flyer reference books.

I don't think having this rather small auction moved and attended by guests who just come to play pins on Saturday morning will help with the donations.

Remember, the Free Play room has been open during the banquet the past few years. That was Mike's doing by popular demand as Rob wanted to drive up attendance at the Banquet at $80 a head for those that didn't buy the full Expo package.

1 month later
    #68 5 years ago

Don't worry, Berk just wants your money.

3 months later
    #157 5 years ago

Aboot to cancel my hotel reservation.

I heard the new show management is restricting seminar participants. Sounds like censorship to me.

1 week later
    #315 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

Expo had a on-site repair person last year, that they promoted. Which was you, however, your door to the room was rarely open, and if I remember right, a couple days wasn't even open a minute. If a person has a problem with the machine, they should be able to get it figured out, or someone that can.

You do not remember right.

#327 5 years ago

I wonder how many of those 200 machines in Rob B's collection fully work?

He does have a small collection of trucks so he can have them driven to Expo.

#328 5 years ago

Regarding the NWPinball show being a non-profit event; I don't think that is part of Berk's mission statement.

#336 5 years ago

Mr. Berk can bring them and have the repair room guy fix them. He had his minions bring 3 or 4 into the repair room last year. My son & I fixed them. IIRC one early Gottlieb Solid State machine. The rest were EM's.....

#345 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

When I made a comment about last years repair room not ever being really open to the public, that was true, regardless of what MrBally says, but they did repair things, just that it was mostly Rob Berks games.

You're totally wrong about this. You don't know what you're talking about.

Besides Clay, there was JM, Bob, Bob W, my son and myself (VFW Pinball members) repairing games. Sorry if I forgot others who were there repairing games. One of us was always in the building and on call to at least unlock the door for games to be brought in for repair if one or more of us of us weren't in the room. There was a sign on the door to call to open the locked door.

We would not leave the door unlocked if we were not there as we had tools, service parts as well as DMD Clocks for sale/pickup. Plus customer property (machines and circuit boards). We need to fix games on the floor, eat, drink use the facilities etc. But the contact information was there. Mike called us a few times to make sure the repair room door was open as some guests brought machines just to be repaired so they were aboot to sneak them in the South doors to cart them into the repair room.

And no, they were not "mostly Rob's games" brought into the repair room. he had his flunkies bring in 3 or 4 of his pins. We had at least 25 machines brought in during the time I was there on Thursday & Friday. Plus circuit boards. Almost all were repaired on site. My son Dan and I went to the Pinball Life event and was gone for maybe four hours. Clay and I staggered our time there taking two vehicles so we could get back to repair machines.

I barely spent time inside the free game and vendor halls last year. Maybe three hours total.

Rob Anthony can have fun repairing machines this year.

#350 5 years ago

Clay was asked to operate a repair room as Rob A. was not going to due to philosophical differences with Mike.

#387 5 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Rob Anthony is very open to the idea and contacted me about doing this. I think it’s a great, two for one! Two heads are always better than one. And the more techs the better right? No down side. Let’s do this!
    Ron Coon and I were also talking about doing a technical seminar together. A “stump the chumps” style seminar, were you guys come up with tech questions (that you already know the answer), and then we tell you what we think the issue is. If you stump us, you get a prize!

Good to hear that Rob and Clay agreed to do repairs at the New, improved Expo.

However, I hear that BERK is not allowing Clay to play in any of the Expo Reindeer games this year.

Not sure what is going on as he always comes up on the stage when Clay finishes his seminars and presents him with an Expo etched crystal in appreciation for speaking and calls him a friend.

What could have happened?

#388 5 years ago

Clay, has BERK asked you to surrender your Pinball Expo Hall of Fame plaque that he signed?

#398 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinBackpacker:

Trying to sabotage Expo, regardless of how the change in ownership went down, is not going to win you any more supporters.

If there were any laws broken or Torts committed, Mike could be entitled to an injunction and/or compensation.

#428 5 years ago
    Quoted from SuperDaveOsbourn:

Old idea, been there done it. However, its now V2 Expo, or new blood, or JTSOSO. TBD. However, as PacNW goofballs said, its about the customer, not the collector. Expo is still trying to be the 'show', and that is a long gone deal.

Thanks to BERK (who has turned into a nasty version of Mike) These two things won't happen.

#434 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I sure hope so, since I live about 10 minutes away from the Westin.
    People who aren't from the Chicago area see the statistics and get the false impression that it's a war zone out here. The reality is that 99% of the homicides occur in specific neighborhoods with a lot of gang activity. The Chicago metropolitan area is huge. Just stay away from those neighborhoods and you'll be fine.

Basically, pinball related: Don't go to the original Williams plant on Filmore to take pictures. Nor the Lenc-Smith (Churchill/Chicago Gaming) plant after dark. Everywhere else is relatively safe.

#461 5 years ago

No RRRRandyyyy this year?

89130e22ac11f4c986ede8db3026cbca004646fa (resized).jpg89130e22ac11f4c986ede8db3026cbca004646fa (resized).jpg
    #536 5 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

But nobody's born a pinhead. If there's shows only for seasoned pinheads, it's going to be a very small turnout, and eventually the pinball curmudgeons that attend will no longer be alive. Turnouts decline, and then the show fades away.

I disagree. Both of the Sharpe brothers were born Pinheads. Same with my son. There's three right there.

#537 5 years ago
    Quoted from PaulCoff:

Have the Mayor of Wheeling, IL show up and give him some sort of participation award. That will get the public informed more. Especially now with all the press regarding his election recall. Good or bad press is still press. [quoted image]

Is he facing a recall because he sided with Mike?

#558 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Ads on radio, newspaper and TV?
    How quaint. Maybe the AARP will bring some rest home people in with a bus.

Let BERK know his marketing department is lacking the social media twist.

#569 5 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

You guys have a short memory.... remember the old hotel that had that GIANT (and i mean a good 3 foot high) "speed bump" in front of the back door? That was a riot moving games over that! ha!

Those were installed at the direction of the Teamsters to prevent show displays and equipment from going into the exposition hall any way except via the loading dock via a forklift.

This was at the old Ramada which is now a Holiday Inn Express..........

#591 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

Wasn't that a levee to keep water out when the creek next door would flood ?

No, they were only by the "exposition center", not the main hotel corridor entrances.

#595 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Just checked my reservation, and it appears it was cancelled. Real nice. No notice, no explanation, just cancelled. Not by me. And now the rate code has expired. I had two rooms for two nights. Guess someone else needed them more. Guys, check and confirm your reservations. Be quite a surprise to travel, get there, and your room goes poof.

More BERK shenanigans.....

#599 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

I called and they were unable to give me a straight answer. They were able to get me one room at 300 night. I will have to call hotel tomoro and see if they can reinstate the rate. If not, then I’m not staying there. I had two rooms at 135 each per night. Now it looks like I’ll be driving down for the day and returning. Not happy. What’s the point of making a res and providing a credit card to hold it, to have it disappear.

I just looked mine up. Still there....

45989uthfgj56 (resized).PNG45989uthfgj56 (resized).PNG
    #606 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

so how did you check?

I went to the WestinMarriott reservations website, went to the "chrck reservation page" entered my confirmation number, last name, reservation date and maybe my email address. And it popped right up.

#617 5 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Ever have like, a shred of proof behind any of your wacky allegations?

Yes.

#620 5 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Well I'm convinced.

I'm not convinced that you're convinced.

For one wacky allegation, ask Rob Anthony, who has no reason to lie or take sides, what BERK said when Rob asked if Clay could volunteer as part of the repair room team and be listed as such on the program.

#655 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Jared would stumble outta my room eyes so bloodshot/mind so blown he'd think he was the Atari pinball social media director and end up next to the Hercules all night like a Wal-Mart greeter.

The Pinball is a CUEBALL!

#747 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

I am disappointed cointaker won't be there- I really enjoy putting together my own custom game LED mixes, and having the different bulbs there to actually see the light dispersement, really can't be done as well online...

Will they be at the other show being held that weekend?

#755 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Genes back in business??

I was thinking of the Houston Pinball & Arcade show. That said, I'm all in for fresh cut prime meats at the Potato Basket.

#769 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

not too many, just will be 90% looking like that crap.

No need for Coin Taker to attend. They "sold" their "solutions" to 90% of the hobbyists. well done.....

#860 5 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

My thoughts exactly. He has better lawyers than you. His told him to shut up and he listened. Did you even hire one? I’m sure they would not be happy with your continual banter here.

Not even a good Lawyer can beat a Breach of oral contract charge. Problem is the "He said-she said" issue. It depends if one party chooses to lie to a Judge or Jury. Then there is the "Knock-Out" rule. This is where Lawyers earn their fee...

#890 5 years ago
    Quoted from SuperDaveOsbourn:

There has to be some point where un-exercised 'Expo-Cash' can be redeemed for in-house happy endings, being we have TA coming in for a show and smell on how to have success on 10 million dime (bags) of LV energy. Small time players can bring in a few games, and wish their friends like redemption tickets good luck on the toy to be pulled down on the skeeball wall, but they collectively choose the massage the one guy gets. BTW, on the 'matrix' of happy endings rewards cash, 16 to 20+ should just read 16+... seriously 16 to 20+ ?!?

Not much better than a body massage plus the free table shower service at Hawaii Massage wellness center next to Tim's PHoF. Mention that PHoF sent you (or show popcorn bag) and you get 20% off. Airfare or 1840 mile drive from Expo is not included.

#908 5 years ago

Nice......

GAP 10 14 18 post (resized).PNGGAP 10 14 18 post (resized).PNG
    #932 5 years ago

What a great idea offering a Groupon discount for the loyal Expo guests. Well done.....

#952 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

corrected: blowjob, wife swap translite

Yabba dabba doo!

#1088 5 years ago
    Quoted from Netzley_Crunch:

We hit the Pinball Life party a day early so we can attend the panels Friday afternoon.
    We have two tickets for the Pinball Life party for Friday afternoon to swap at face value- just PM.
    Attached pic of Scott Danesi, we jammed a ball on his Earthshaker Aftershock and he unjammed it. Fun time.
    [quoted image]

1. Which guy is Scott Danesi?
    2. Is he famous or something along those lines?

#1202 5 years ago
    Quoted from knockerlover:

15 minutes into this deeproot talk.. zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Are eggs and baseball bats allowed in the room?

#1210 5 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

WTF is with you hot dog nazis? This is America, eat em how ever you want!

But if you go to Gene & Jude's, you'll have to bring your own Ketchup. You can buy packets next door at the sign of the fallen arches....

Screenshot_20181019-184528 (resized).pngScreenshot_20181019-184528 (resized).png
    #1243 5 years ago
    Quoted from cavalier88z24:

this is false. there has NEVER been some at the registration desk or game hall all night 24 hours with a cash box. first off, the game hall doesn't need a cash box. they are there for game hall registration only. never saw them have a cash box. Registaion ALWAYS has hours posted. it's on the seminar schudule. not 24 hours.
    so you decided to take it upon your self to not follow security guards orders. you need to redeem your groupon tickets. you know that. You just can't walk in the free play hall without a wristband. do you think your better then everybody else? what is the girl at the door checking wristbands suppose to do? force a grown man out that can't follow the rules. maybe you should checked that registration was open at 3a.m. before you drove a hour.
    honestly kudos to security for actually checking wristbands this year. unlike in the years past. funny that this guy is mad. he even stated "I know I didn't have a wristband" lol

This is above is false. The guy at the entry door to the former vendor hall that connected to the free play room was indeed there with a cash box that had wrist bands in it as well around 1:30 am when my son & I arrived four or five years ago. We checked in to the hotel and went down there with cash. I asked him can we buy wrist bands and he said sure. He opened the cash/wrist band box and we paid and gained admittance. He also reminded us that those wrist bands were only good until 7 AM.

Back then the vendor room was open but all the booths were closed and merchandise was covered or secured. I know the situation changed after some stuff was stolen from closed vendor booths and the vendor room was then locked and the flexible partition wall was put in place with a different entry door at night in recent years.

The person at the entry door not accepting a Groupon for a wrist band should be fired immediately. Even if family.

#1246 5 years ago

Partial view of the fringe of the South parking lot.

SV18m1yg2e1wl (resized).PNGSV18m1yg2e1wl (resized).PNG
    #1247 5 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

I think he meant guy and cashbox at the Freeplay room entry. Which if I remember correctly there always was after the main table closed.

You do indeed remember this correctly. Mike covered all bases well.

#1254 5 years ago
    Quoted from cdf12345:

Which is why I didn’t hesitate to purchase the groupon tickets. Especially after seeing and confirming on the website that daily passes are good until registration open the next day. There was no indication that I had to be at the expo before midnight to get a piece of paper for my wrist to get entry to an unattended game hall. Which when I peeked had people sleeping, drinking around machines and of course playing games. I wanted to play some damn pinball, I was treated like I was a menace to society. She saw I purchased tickets. I understand it’s not her job. While she was calling the cops she left the game hall and I personally counted at least a dozen people go in and out while the door was unattended.
    For her to say you can get a wristband at 8am was beyond infuriating.

Call BERK right now to discuss. PM me if you need his number. To be fair, it's posted on some of his machines in the hall.

#1255 5 years ago
    Quoted from Brandon:

What are others that have been to the Expo this year have to say about it that would entice me to come up to visit he show?

Babes/eye candy.

#1262 5 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

This incident with the groupon would have never happened with me involved and should not have happened .. first off yes my people sold armbands all night. secondly if there were ever any problem any time my people called me even at 3 am if needed.. Someone i guess never told door people to do this.. sad WOw that police had to get involved in this..

Thank you for verifying that your door guard(s) sold wrist bands after the registration desk was closed; Proving that cavalier88z24 is full of shit. Plus others have also mentioned that "after registration desk hours" cash wrist band sales have taken place. I know, as I have purchased them before.

#1266 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

But there is also some personal responsibility to acknowledge that buying tickets at 330am is not typical.

At a 24 hour, full-service Hotel with an event advertised/billed as having a 24hour free-play room, I would say it is typical. When I arrived at 1:30 am (2:30 am in my body clock as I drove in from the Eastern Time Zone), I was welcomed into the room with my payment in cash. My hotel room was reserved. Had I not arrived, I would have been charged for the night as the Expo room block rooms have a 3pm cancellation requirement the day prior to checking in. For my reservation that began on Wednesday this year, I needed to cancel by 3pm Tuesday otherwise I had to pay for the first night.

#1285 5 years ago
    Quoted from cavalier88z24:

the people never sold wrist bands AFTER registration hours at the free play hall. NEVER. been denied many times. had to wait til the registration desk was open for that days wrist band color. true

So, you're saying the posters, including myself and one of the former organizers are lying in posts 1242, 1243 and 1258. Got it.
    Maybe the door guy was pocketing the money but I got my wrist band that year as I didn't want to buy the full admission packages.

#1293 5 years ago

See www.pinballnews.com

#1432 5 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

It's easy to say "we", when almost all of it is you.

What are you talking aboot? There were 35 of us working the recent one day "Mini-Show". I worked my ass off at from an hour prior to open until well past the closing. For the three day main show weekend there are twenty more volunteers working.

Quoted from CraigC:

I for one am glad you are volunteering to do this and wouldn't turn this away.

Too bad BERK has erratic behavior and refused to let Clay help out nor have a seminar. In prior years he would introduce Clay and hand him a gift for speaking. Strange.....

#1436 5 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

They are mostly Clay's games. You guys aren't starting with an unpopulated room and having to Unload and helpset up 300 pins. I'm not trying to short your efforts, but it's a different dynamic.

Agreed. That's why the VFW Show is unique and a pinball player's show. Not big on seminars, part vendors or machine sales. Did Expo have 300 pins this year?

#1473 5 years ago

Nice custom backglass on Nudgy.....

#1562 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobCraig:

Here's a few of my favorite photos from Expo. Note the awards I gave for best solid-state restoration, best DMD restoration, best modded pen. All three of these guys were incredibly grateful and deserve those awards.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Last pic is not to be confused with RRRRRandyyyy....

#1564 5 years ago
    Quoted from ViolinSteve:

Nah, I one-upped ol' Rando with my stripper girlfriend carrying me around. Hope I never see him again...ever.

You and me both.

#1613 5 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

We had one guy that hit the start button again with us standing behind him … he got the tap on the shoulder from my wife and her saying that we were waiting for our turn. He said he was still playing. My wife started stating the rules. I just gave him "the look" and he walked away to another pin. We're a team.

No one messes with the King and Queen....

7 months later
    #1647 4 years ago

Mike made out on that EK main cabinet/playfield for a hundred bucks. Don't tell the pickers it's the worthless "Professional home model".

All in all, a great way for Mike to turn garbage into dollars. It should help his legal bills fighting Jerk. I mean Berk.

#1648 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

I thought I was watching an episode of Hoarders... i never thought I would ever see where Mike lived, or that what he brought to Expo every year was merely a fraction of a sliver of the stuff from “in the house”. I bought my Family Guy from him in 2008 after the Expo. He gave me a good deal.

Not much different there from a few years ago.

43BFFCCA-1 (resized).jpg43BFFCCA-1 (resized).jpgIMG_46311 (resized).jpgIMG_46311 (resized).jpg
    #1654 4 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Agreed. I was waiting for one, or both, of them to get injured. But, as we all know, Pickers is staged. I'm willing to bet the producers gutted the cab.

No coin door, no cash box, no anti cheat corner plates by leg bolts. Playfield bottom arch is plastic. Cabinet is not as tall/deep so less wood. Boxed weight is 160# so no head & no box means main cabinet weighs maybe 125#.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-2018-reboot-wheeling-il?tu=mrbally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.