Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,674 posts
  • 270 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Joe_Blasi
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“For those that have attended the Expo Banquet before, what would you change?”

• Nothing 16 votes
      6%
    • Skip the fancy food, make it Burgers and Fries at a cheaper cost. 46 votes
      18%
    • Shorten the event, make it super cheap or free, and have no meal at all. 19 votes
      7%
    • I don't care about the banquet. 178 votes
      69%

(259 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_46311 (resized).jpg
    43BFFCCA-1 (resized).jpg
    pacak pickers (resized).png
    20181201_153948 (resized).jpg
    20181028_150630 (resized).jpg
    20181028_144801 (resized).jpg
    20181028_143202 (resized).jpg
    SteveRichieRum (resized).jpg
    20181019_184054 (resized).jpg
    20181018_125743 (resized).jpg
    20181020_194155 (resized).jpg
    20181020_231747 (resized).jpg
    20181017_193751 (resized).jpg
    20181020_161621 (resized).jpg
    20181018_180035 (resized).jpg
    20181020_144751 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gweempose.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#366 5 years ago

I just looked at the schedule for the first time. So there's officially no Expo Brawl this year? If so, that sucks. It was one of my favorite events at Expo. I've been playing in it for eight years.

#371 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Someone back a ways mentioned that the organizers were from the Ohio group that isn't attending this year for obvious reasons.

I guess I'm out of the loop. So Phoebe and her whole continent aren't coming this year? That's a real bummer.

#433 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Where the show isn't what I call "Chicago". It's as safe as anywhere I've ever been.

I sure hope so, since I live about 10 minutes away from the Westin.

People who aren't from the Chicago area see the statistics and get the false impression that it's a war zone out here. The reality is that 99% of the homicides occur in specific neighborhoods with a lot of gang activity. The Chicago metropolitan area is huge. Just stay away from those neighborhoods and you'll be fine.

1 week later
    #615 5 years ago

Ironically, the fancier the hotel, the more likely they are to charge for internet.

#636 5 years ago

That's bullshit about them cancelling your rooms. I'd be furious.

#659 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I500 is out because optos unobtanium

Which optos are unobtanium?

#661 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

The 4 square targets. I bought new ones a few years back, and haven't seen any since.

What part do you need? The target face with the interuptor, or the opto board with the LEDs? I'd have to check, but I may have one or both laying around somewhere.

#675 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Aww...thanks B. But I'm not havin any problems with them now. Just not gonna chance it. Those stand ups optos are nil.
    If ya got some lay in around I will absolutely take them.

Is this what you're looking for? If so, remind me to bring it to Expo with me. I no longer have the game, so it's not like it's doing me any good.

I500 Opto Board (resized).jpgI500 Opto Board (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #846 5 years ago

Please lay off Mike. This is obviously a very emotional situation for him, and pouring salt into the wound is just plain cruel. If you can't refrain from doing so, you will be ejected from this thread.

#896 5 years ago

I'm bringing a game to Expo for the free play hall on Thursday. Do I need to provide my own hand truck?

#954 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Getting real now. Vendor map is up - http://pinballexpo.com/forms/ExpoFloorLayoutA.pdf
    LTG : )

Interesting. It looks like they changed things around this year and moved the entrance.

#1346 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I knew that I wouldn't be able to check on the game I brought after the secondary vendor room opened (I had other plans and wouldn't be around), so I saw the room opened and decided to go in to make sure it was in working order for the night. I was told I couldn't walk in, because I wasn't a vendor. Mrs Moore explained that I wanted to check on the game I brought to make sure it was working. Still told no.

That's interesting. I guess one's experience depended on who happened to be watching the door. I went to go check on my game, and the person initially stopped me. I told them I wanted to make sure my game was still operational, and they happily let me in.

#1453 5 years ago
    Quoted from pindude80:

I am taking my EBD to Pincinnati and it doesn't have a free play setting ...

There is a patch for the ROMs that allows you to set the game to free play using the DIP switches. See this page for more info:

http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

#1474 5 years ago

I thought the show was great! The vendor hall was hopping the whole time, and every vendor I talked to seemed to be in a great mood. I can assure you, this has not always been the case in the past. I brought a game, and the load in procedure was very smooth. I didn't even know about the VIP party until they handed me my wristband for it, but it turned out to be a great perk. They actually had a quite a nice spread with salad, mini cheeseburgers, chicken fingers, toasted ravioli, pizza, dessert, beverages, etc ...

My Farfalla wound up in the overflow room, and it lasted the whole show without a single problem. Then again, my game got a lot less plays than the ones in the main free play area. Not only was the overflow room closed along with the vendor hall, but there were also just a lot less people in that room in general. They definitely need to do more to advertise that room. I think a lot of people didn't even know there were games in there. Every time I went in there to check on my game, the room felt kind of empty.

I personally liked having the arcade games there. While I prefer pinball, I still have a lot of nostalgia for those old games, and it was fun playing them. I had a blast playing that color vector game where you have to shoot inside the mother ship to blow it up. The team based play reminded me a lot of one of my favorite games from that era, Rip Off. Can anyone tell me the name of that game?

The one thing that I really missed this year was the Expo Brawl tournament. Expo just didn't feel the same without it, and I hope they bring it back next year. I know one of the main complaints in the past was that the tournament monopolizes the free play hall on Friday, but with so many pins in the overflow room, it would have been easy to run the tournament in that room without disrupting anything else.

#1495 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

If they have expobrawl next year, I wont bring as much if its run the same way as in the past. I have never liked a tournament being played on games that I brought, and the public who I brought the games for cant get to them to play.

I totally get that, and it's a legitimate gripe, but wasn't the overflow room closed during the hours that Expo Brawl is typically played anyway? It's not like the general public had access to the games in that room on Friday morning/afternoon, so wouldn't that have been an ideal time to have the tournament?

I'm not saying there aren't potential hurdles, but the fact of the matter is that a lot of people love Expo Brawl. I talked to many friends over the course of the weekend who were really bummed that there was no Brawl this year. It's a unique tournament because there is much more emphasis on the social aspect of it. Hopefully, something can be arranged for next year that will make everyone happy.

#1517 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I'm still up. Thanks Expo.

He's alive!!! It's been seven days since you last posted. That must have been one crazy Expo if it took you a week to recover!!!

#1524 5 years ago

I don't get why some people are so vehemently opposed to the arcade games. It's not like they were taking up space that could have been used for pins.

#1526 5 years ago

So the show isn't allowed to evolve? Look at MGC. Basically the exact opposite happened. People love that show, and it didn't start off with any pins at all. In fact, I think it was originally some kind of Atari Jaguar enthusiast club.

#1617 5 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I read a lot of news, and they keep talking about how penicillin (the wonder drug from the 30's) is starting to be less effective against the most basic viruses.

I'm no doctor, but I'm pretty sure penicillin has never had any affect on ANY viruses.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gweempose.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-2018-reboot-wheeling-il?tu=gweempose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.