Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,674 posts
  • 270 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Joe_Blasi
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“For those that have attended the Expo Banquet before, what would you change?”

• Nothing 16 votes
      6%
    • Skip the fancy food, make it Burgers and Fries at a cheaper cost. 46 votes
      18%
    • Shorten the event, make it super cheap or free, and have no meal at all. 19 votes
      7%
    • I don't care about the banquet. 178 votes
      69%

(259 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_46311 (resized).jpg
    43BFFCCA-1 (resized).jpg
    pacak pickers (resized).png
    20181201_153948 (resized).jpg
    20181028_150630 (resized).jpg
    20181028_144801 (resized).jpg
    20181028_143202 (resized).jpg
    SteveRichieRum (resized).jpg
    20181019_184054 (resized).jpg
    20181018_125743 (resized).jpg
    20181020_194155 (resized).jpg
    20181020_231747 (resized).jpg
    20181017_193751 (resized).jpg
    20181020_161621 (resized).jpg
    20181018_180035 (resized).jpg
    20181020_144751 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epthegeek.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 6 years ago

One thing I'd like to see is a much more artistic show shirt design, rather than the crappy block logo with just the year changed. Shirts are a cool souvenir for the show and some shows do a great job of making something cool and unique each year. It'd be nice if Expo did that too.

1 month later
    #46 5 years ago

Interesting. They aren't even trying to pretend like there's any show on Sunday this time. Wonder if the main tourney finals will still be Sunday.

2 months later
    #128 5 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Do we have to pay full price for a 2 year old? Asking for a relative. The website doesn't show anything about young kids rates.

Depends which countries black market you go to. Going to be rough getting them in to the country if you buy a kid outside the us though.

4 weeks later
    #185 5 years ago

Just got an advert email from Expo about tournaments. OMG SO MANY TOURNAMENTS, there's like, the main one there always is, some side game tournament on Houdini and then 5 non-pinball related tournaments.

Um... Yay?

#225 5 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

just over 2 hours and a 130 mile drive to expo, yet you chose to make the 14 hour, 880 mile drive to allentown [pinfest] earlier this year ??? pennsylvania, now thats far from what i would consider local.

Did he say that was a local show? Or is this the weirdest stretch of reality I’ve seen all day?

Many of us travel great distance to attend quality shows with great reputations, like Allentown or TPF. The recent reputation of expo is of a show in decline, and now it’s got a major shake up surrounded by lots of dumb drama.

#242 5 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Expo is bigger than any one or two men. The people make the show. If we all just show up, bring games & vend, Expo will be Expo. All of this "I dunno, might stay home" hand-wringing is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Don't let the drama win. Let's have a great show.

On the one hand; Yeah, power to the people and shit.

On the other hand; If the attendees pull together to make the show decent and the organizers could not, you're earning them money for failing to properly run a show.

Heh.

#246 5 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

a convention solely dedicated to pinball.

Did you see the tournament list? Trent's normal tournament, a side game on Houdini and 5 not pinball tournaments. Not solely anymore.

#259 5 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

What’s the little guy’s name?

Antar.

#358 5 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

I don’t hold grudges.

Certainly seem to have quite a grudge against Rob Anthony. Damn.

#370 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I just looked at the schedule for the first time. So there's officially no Expo Brawl this year? If so, that sucks. It was one of my favorite events at Expo. I've been playing in it for eight years.

Someone back a ways mentioned that the organizers were from the Ohio group that isn't attending this year for obvious reasons.

#416 5 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

Expo seems to have a problem with everyone bailing early--from the games to the vendors to the attendees--that other shows don't have a problem with. Does anyone know why?

Really, the bulk only left Saturday night/Sunday morning. Now that there's no show on Sunday, it's probably mostly a non issue.

#444 5 years ago

"Expo" to me always seemed like it wanted to be an 'industry' show and doesn't really fully understand the fan aspect. Doesn't surprise me at all that they would cut Sunday before a weekday.

#518 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

Sooooo, no ExpoBrawl?

Correct.

#565 5 years ago

The fact that the old hotel was worse doesn’t make the current location any better. It’s still bad.

#587 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fortytwo:

Thanks. But I am actually referring to expo. I have never brought a game. Have some questions before I can commit.

If you're just going to put it in the freeplay hall, it's no different than taking a game to MGC - just show up with it.

If you're hoping for more of a vendor style space in the vendor hall, then you're going to have to get in touch with the show people. The PROC custom games booth that was done for several years was done with the generosity of Multimorphic as an extension of their vendor space. Since they're not going to be at the show, that space isn't available.

#609 5 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Internet not free WTF???

Wifi has always been free for the expo show rate, despite them not listing it as such. Has been true for several years. But really, who uses hotel internet now that most cellular plans give you tons of data?

1 week later
    #816 5 years ago
    Quoted from rkahr:

Anyone know what the other two shows are?

Houston and Banning?

#853 5 years ago

So the Chicago PHOF is a teamup betwen pinballcompany and galloping ghost? Hopefully they'll get a new location.

/WILD SPECULATION

#993 5 years ago
    Quoted from bbaker2824:

Wow. At expo and free play is going to be incredible. Already lots of games

He says with no pictures. For shame.

I know a big batch of John's EMs are being brought this year again.

#1358 5 years ago

Every time the leave your keys thing gets mentioned a noisy contingent of “I don’t want nobody touching my game” sqwakers pops up.

#1460 5 years ago
    Quoted from Trekie:

I think the security team did a very good and professional job. They did what they were instructed to do.
    The dealers room didn't get ripped off this year like it has been in the previous years?

The people going in and out the side doors of the hall (the 'old' entrance and on the far end, both) all weekend long disagree.

#1463 5 years ago

With the entry door on the 'front' hall and the high number of games to play in the main vendor hall (several free play banks, pin stadiums huge row, american pinball's bank, jjps bank, sterns setup, cgc) I think a good number of people never even went down the hall to the freeplay room.

I know traffic in Rob's room was down, I've heard comments that the free play hall wasn't crowded at any point and every time I was in that hallway it seemed pretty barren.

#1496 5 years ago

Speaking of Friday morning - I'm not sure I understand the logic of the vendor hall not opening until 6pm on Friday. It's not like that was day 1.

#1527 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

So the show isn't allowed to evolve? Look at MGC. Basically the exact opposite happened. People love that show, and it didn't start off with any pins at all. In fact, I think it was originally some kind of Atari Jaguar enthusiast club.

Yeah, it was rough to remember that the console museum is really the heart of what started that show when they were scraping a big chunk of the pin/arcade space out for it last year. heh!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epthegeek.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-2018-reboot-wheeling-il?tu=epthegeek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.