1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 1,656 posts
  • 270 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 25 days ago by toyotaboy
  • Topic is favorited by 61 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“For those that have attended the Expo Banquet before, what would you change?”

• Nothing 15 votes
      6%
    • Skip the fancy food, make it Burgers and Fries at a cheaper cost. 46 votes
      18%
    • Shorten the event, make it super cheap or free, and have no meal at all. 19 votes
      7%
    • I don't care about the banquet. 176 votes
      69%

(256 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 293 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_46311 (resized).jpg
    43BFFCCA-1 (resized).jpg
    pacak pickers (resized).png
    20181201_153948 (resized).jpg
    20181028_150630 (resized).jpg
    20181028_144801 (resized).jpg
    20181028_143202 (resized).jpg
    SteveRichieRum (resized).jpg
    20181019_184054 (resized).jpg
    20181018_125743 (resized).jpg
    20181020_194155 (resized).jpg
    20181020_231747 (resized).jpg
    20181017_193751 (resized).jpg
    20181020_161621 (resized).jpg
    20181018_180035 (resized).jpg
    20181020_144751 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dirtbag66.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#79 1 year ago

Find a way to weed out people who bring in games to get free admission, then never turn them on. I visited this past Expo three times (once by myself, once with my son and once with a buddy) and the Apollo 13 that someone brought just sat there, all weekend and was never turned on (I assume).

Get their contact info and call/text them if their game is just going to take up space and never be turned on.

That's my biggest gripe.

1 month later
    #108 11 months ago

Which show will JJP be revealing game #5 (*cough Toy Story *cough*) at?

Cuz that's the show I will be at.

1 month later
    #199 9 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Or mug. Or limited seminar mug.
    LTG : )

You gave my five year old son a coffee mug last year. Thanks a lot, now he's addicted to caffeine!!

#202 9 months ago
    Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

It could have been a beer glass

That would've been fine, as long as it isn't used for craft beer. That stuff is for poseurs.

#207 9 months ago
    Quoted from hd60609:

Any way to bring some air circulation into the free play room? Came with some friends (men, women and children) last year and all I heard them talk about was how bad the free play room smelled... BO. Honestly I have been in several gyms that smelt better.
    I see this as more of a facility issue. Can the hotel turn the air on or can air purifiers be set around? Pinballing at a show is a great experience, no need to play in adverse conditions.

Uhhh, have you SEEN the people in this hobby? Neck beards, jean shorts with their ill-fitting shirts tucked in (no belt, of course), all black New Balance shoes with white crew socks, arms crossed (anti-social) as they wait their turn to play.

No amount of AC is going to fix their odor. Ever.

#231 9 months ago
    f92610f657b1539eeadae6543e03d582 (resized).jpg
    #295 9 months ago

What about the people who bring in machines and never turn them on? I went to Expo on three separate occasions last year and that Apollo 13 was always off.

Pretty weak if you ask me.

#384 9 months ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Rob Anthony is very open to the idea and contacted me about doing this. I think it’s a great, two for one! Two heads are always better than one. And the more techs the better right? No down side. Let’s do this!
    Ron Coon and I were also talking about doing a tactical seminar together. A “stump the chumps” style seminar, were you guys come up with tech questions (that you already know the answer), and then we tell you what we think the issue is. If you stump us, you get a prize!

keep-calm-and-do-damage-control (resized).png
    #400 9 months ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

These guys are fighting over money. Whole story,

C.R.E.A.M.

#402 9 months ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Are you going to Expo? If so, we need to have a cold one or three.

Every year. Won't miss it for anything.

#403 9 months ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Are you going to Expo? If so, we need to have a cold one or three.

I'll have a cold one (or three) with you if you sell me your Apollo 13...

#469 9 months ago
    giphy-1 (resized).png
    #531 9 months ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

It’s seems to me that the organizers are trying hard to make a great show from a state of decline that had put a bad taste in the mouth of many enthusiasts. There are going to be hiccups this year. Plan on it. Nothing can be perfect during a major reorganization. I’d love to go, but schedule and geography wasn’t allow it this year.
    Just scanning the thread there a a few, firmly committed, Negative Nellies posting regularly. Those posts are worthy of a bud light “Real men of genius” commercial.
    Announcer: Today we salute you, Mr. Chicago Pinball Expo Hater Guy.
    Singer: Mr. Chicago Pinball Expo Hater Guy!
    Fill in the rest...

Did you know:

It was originally "Real American Heroes", then 9/11 happened and since people were upset that the commercials seemed to be mocking heroism, they changed it to "Real Men of Genius".

#532 9 months ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I understand clay's perspective, but you just cant exlude people. im friends with someone that runs an arcade. he is constantly having to tell both adults and kids not to chimp flip, not leave games running with balls (if you change your mind, reset the game). even with arcade games he has to tell people not to credit up because itll kick it out of attract mode and cause screen burn-in. he has rules posted everywhere but people dont read or dont care. if he made it an exclusive "club" theres no way he'd stay in business.

Underground Retrocade?

#566 9 months ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

The fact that the old hotel was worse doesn’t make the current location any better. It’s still bad.

Okay, then don't attend. Feel free to drain away.

#572 9 months ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

He’s done more to help the show than you ever could

My f**king hero! Is this the part where I start gushing uncontrollably?

#575 9 months ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

If I was going to tell you to do something, it wouldn’t be that

What a tease! Hopefully you wouldn't tell me to wear one of those stupid Borat bikinis. That bit is played out.

#578 9 months ago

That's a solid "no".

I'm not that desperate for a laugh.

1 month later
    #1582 8 months ago

My very late review of this year's Expo (sorry, took some time off from Pinside for a little bit )

Overall I had a pretty good time. Vendor hall had a ton of really nice games. Got to play Godzilla which was cool. Deadpool seems kinda forgettable. Monster Bash looks absolutely amazing. Oktoberfest looks fun, didn't get to play it due to large crowd sizes at every waking moment. My son put up 130,000 and change on Pirates of the Carribean and got two multiballs (not bad for a six year old). Was bummed I couldn't find a new Special Force back glass. The search continues! A little disappointed that the drop target on Twister was unresponsive. Why bring that game if you can't see one of the greatest multiball gimmicks ever created?

I didn't even know the overflow room existed until my buddy told me about it. Finally got to play Radical! Cool game. Thanks to whoever brought it. The video games seemed out of place, but that wacky "choose your own adventure" type detective game was a hoot. I showed my son The Jetsons and Alice Cooper and he told me he wanted to play Mario Andretti instead. I told him it wasn't there, so his next choice was Thunderbirds. Take that for what it's worth.

As for the cops packing heat: seriously? It's a pinball expo. Pretty sure a loaded handgun isn't going to be necessary. But the shorter cop was hilarious. I only had two all weekend wristbands to use and was expecting my buddy to show up alone. When he brought his dad, the cop could see we were trying to figure out what to do. He goes, "just go in and have the other person bring it back out for the third guy to use!" Nothing like security trying to find ways to screw Expo out of $$$! I guess we could have just entered through the side door like everyone else was doing...

The American Pinball seminar was the best, but then again I'm biased since my brother was one of the speakers.

Overall I was impressed with the new and improved vendor hall, choice of games in the free play room (Apollo 13 was actually turned on this year!!), and general vibe of the weekend. I'll definitely be going back next year (JJP #5 announcement? Toy Story?)

#1608 8 months ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Also worth a HUGE mention: this was the 1st year in 5 years I saw absolutely zero assholishness with game etiquette. Not sayin it didn't happen, and I admittedly don't play as much as most of you (too busy blowin smoke indoors) but I was AMAZED at the courtesy this year. Not one 4 player game, no rehitting start, no insults, frankly, it was astonishing. And I'm a little disgusted.

I stood behind someone who was in the middle of a SIX PLAYER game of Godzilla. Thankfully, the ball got stuck and he didn't know that a heavy nudge would dislodge it. He walked away and I reset it to start a two player game with my son.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 279.95
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 87.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.95
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bent Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dirtbag66.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside