Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,674 posts
  • 270 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Joe_Blasi
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“For those that have attended the Expo Banquet before, what would you change?”

• Nothing 16 votes
      6%
    • Skip the fancy food, make it Burgers and Fries at a cheaper cost. 46 votes
      18%
    • Shorten the event, make it super cheap or free, and have no meal at all. 19 votes
      7%
    • I don't care about the banquet. 178 votes
      69%

(259 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_46311 (resized).jpg
    43BFFCCA-1 (resized).jpg
    pacak pickers (resized).png
    20181201_153948 (resized).jpg
    20181028_150630 (resized).jpg
    20181028_144801 (resized).jpg
    20181028_143202 (resized).jpg
    SteveRichieRum (resized).jpg
    20181019_184054 (resized).jpg
    20181018_125743 (resized).jpg
    20181020_194155 (resized).jpg
    20181020_231747 (resized).jpg
    20181017_193751 (resized).jpg
    20181020_161621 (resized).jpg
    20181018_180035 (resized).jpg
    20181020_144751 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobCraig.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Good evening Pinside!
    The purpose of this new thread is to keep the information flowing about the new Pinball Expo 2018 Rebooted show. I ask that participants try to keep this thread positive and helpful as we try to move this event forward.

I'm excited to mention that I have partnered with Rob Berk and David Fix to help reboot Pinball Expo in 2018! My role is to communicate on social media to get the word out, promote and recruit the freeplay games area, assist David Fix in recruiting vendors, assist both Rob and Dave in planning the show, and several other things. I'm excited about this opportunity and I hope you are too.

If you've been into pinball since 2012 or so, you might not know me at all. And if you have been into pinball all along, you still might not know me. Here's a little about me, so you know my heart behind my willingness to help with the Expo reboot. I've been a collector and restorer since 1998. I made 3 DVD's called Life After Death about pinball restoration with the last one about warehouse finds. I co-hosted the Silverball Podcast with the late Steve Rothschild for years. Both of us along with a couple of others ran The Heartland Pinball & Arcade Supershow from 2004 through 2009 in Southern Illinois (not as many shows besides Expo going on then). I was a monthly columnist for GameRoom Magazine during the Kevin Steele years and for a while during the early ownership from The Pinball Co. I have spoken at Expo 3 times on various topics.

Pinball Expo has always been a special event for me. I started going in 2001 and have been about every other year (on average) since. I have also been to several other shows (Allentown, Dallas, Louisville, & Nashville) but there has always been something special about Pinball Expo. Like many of you, I have seen some changes over the years and they have not always been something I liked. I'm joining in to help make things better.

There has been some buzz about the recent split and about changes in scheduling the show. I have heard a lot of encouraging words from friends both new and old, and I've heard people say they don't care at all. My response is simply this - all of us (Rob, Dave, myself, and many others) want to make this year's Expo the best ever and we will pour a lot of time and energy in making that happen. Sure, there's a lot of shows you can go to in 2018. But if you've been to several different pinball shows, you know that there is only one Pinball Expo with its direct connection to the history of pinball and both past and current pinball people. There will be more to come from my keyboard, but for now - thank you for reading. Before I go, I want to include a release from Rob Berk on the upcoming Pinball Expo 2018 show.
    Sincerely - Rob Craig

Dear Friends of Pinball Expo,
    At the conclusion of last year’s 33 rd annual Pinball Expo, and with great
    consideration, I made the decision to dissolve my partnership with Mike Pacak. I felt the energy and vision that I had for the show was waning and that a change was needed for the survival of Pinball Expo. It took several months to work through the details, but I am happy to announce that in March I acquired full ownership, which means we are on schedule for the 34 th annual Pinball Expo, to be held at the Westin in Wheeling, IL, from October 17-21, 2018.

In the process of planning for a spectacular event, I have secured Dave Fix as the Vendor Hall Chairman, and Rob Craig who will manage our social media plus help us secure games for the free play area. Both have a passion for pinball and will be great additions to our staff!

My mission now is to fill the Vendor Hall and Game Hall to their capacity. I want the energy and excitement for pinball to be at an all-time high! I am committed to giving each attendee, vendor, and speaker my time and effort so that Pinball Expo will be fun for everyone. I welcome your comments.
    I look forward to seeing friends, old and new, this October!

Rob Berk, Chairman and Founder

#11 6 years ago

Thanks all for the responses so far. Ask others to join in. I'll be visiting and discussing this thread during every call - so ALL POSTS are read by me. Know that ALL aspects of the show are being analyzed and scrutinized and your input is absolutely mixed into the discussion. I appreciate your thoughts on the banquet. The banquet's appeal has changed from the earlier years when pinball industry personnel were rarely seen. Things have changed and clearly Expo is changing too. Thank you fingersport for repeating one of my mantras, "Be part of the solution not part of the problem." It takes less time to complain, but more time to suggest a solution to a problem. Whichever you decide, I'll be listening.

1 month later
    #36 5 years ago

Craig, no need to be torn my man. Let's get the Mafia involved! PM me!

3 months later
    #169 5 years ago

Rob Craig here - catching up on this thread. There seems to be a few worried about a couple of things. Let me try to address these from my perspective.

Bumper Blast - Games moving on Wednesday from one room to another ....
    Bumper Blast has been a smallish event that celebrates the start of Expo for those that have made it in early. If you go back far enough (2001), it was a small room with some fruit trays and a TV playing Tommy. It's not intended to be a fully set-up free play room with 200+ games. The thinking here is that it would be good to have PINBALL at the opening event of PINBALL EXPO. Moving games from one room to another is a logistic requirement since Bumper Blast is in one room and the freeplay room is in another. This was dictated by hotel availability on Wednesday vs what is available on Thursday. I absolutely hate doing this but we don't have a choice unless some event is cancelled and we get some space earlier (which still could happen). If the option is to play some pinball themed video clips on a screen or play real pinball, we opted for playing pinball. We didn't think anyone would complain about that.

Game Move In on Wednesday - I (and volunteers) will be ready to assist anyone that wants to unload a game(s) on Wednesday from Noon and onward. I'm willing to be at the dock earlier if you can't wait until noon. From previous show data, Thursday will be the biggest move in day for most people bringing 1 or 2 games - so games for Bumper Blast will likely be games from those who came early, some of Berk's collection, my games, etc. Since games come in more frequently after Bumper Blast, the logistics of moving games directly into the freeplay room will hopefully not be as intense. As for pinball dollies, I'm bringing mine, Berk and Fix will have several, some volunteers will have theirs, and some bringing games will have theirs too. We will do the best we can.

Volunteers - I'm looking for people to join our existing team in helping unload at the dock, stock the freeplay room, and assist in the vending hall with some of the games there. Please contact me directly at [email protected] if you want on the team. I've been compiling the team but will lock this down by the end of Sept. So if you have at least a half-a-day you are willing to donate (Wed evening / Thursday all day preferred), please let me know. The website has a lot of information about volunteering you can read but in short, you need to be physically able and experienced in moving pinball machines with pinball dollies and an overall friendly person (aren't all pinball people friendly??).

Pinball Life Party & Expo - These events should always go together and this year we wanted to make it clear that they do. Terry's party is a core part of the Expo experience and everyone should go to the party at least once. If I can find enough volunteers to cover me - I will go myself.

Why hasn't someone been on here answering our questions? - Because a lot of things have been evolving and making announcements about things that you change later is bad business and upsets people. I'm fairly conservative about declaring something might happen unless we know for sure that it will happen. And, I only speak for myself as someone helping organize the show. Everyone is welcome to e-mail Rob Berk or David Fix directly with your questions. Or use any of the e-mail addresses on the website at www.pinballexpo.com .

More questions? Ask them here, I'll answer if I can.
    -Rob Craig

#175 5 years ago

Thank you toyotaboy for pasting that graphic. Information about vendors and who will show is going to be on the website. This year's site is managed by a real web developer / design stud - Jeff Ohler. His passion for pinball and arcade games is hardly matched. He has a mostly arcade game (still some pinball) youtube channel called Arcade Hollywood. Check him out if you can. Point is - he's on top of things. I get several notifications a week that he's updated something on the page. I expect those updates to increase as we get closer to the show.

#176 5 years ago
    Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

Expobrawl is a highlight for me, hope it's happening.

Eric_S and foureyedcharlie, who was the coordinator of the last Expobrawl? It wasn't me then and I'm not coordinating it now. BUT - I'm happy to assist in working out the logistics for a brawl. Contact the last person who ran it and have them get in touch with me if they are still interested in coordinating it. It's a ton of work to do, but a ton of fun to participate in too.

#188 5 years ago
    Quoted from LoveNeverDiesGuy:

Will there be a Stern Factory Tour? And is there a chance for an American Pinball or Chicago Gaming Factory Tour?

As already stated and listed on the Expo website - the Stern Factory Tour is happening again. See the entire schedule in a similar format as in years past .... right here: http://www.pinballexpo.com/forms/PinballExpoSchEvents2018.pdf

As for other tours? I don't make that decision but .... I feel like something different *could* happen next year.

#239 5 years ago

TheKorn - PM sent. Thanks for taking all the time to go through the website.

#240 5 years ago

The Freeplay room will be open during all of the hours posted. We intend on having some space for repairs outside of the freeplay room too but I don't know where or what hours that place will be available yet. It should be a really good time for all that love to play late into the night and early into the morning!

Quoted from cavalier88z24:

robcraig your in charge of the free play hall. by the looks of the seminar schedule the free play hall opens at 6PM Thursday, doesn't close Friday at all (24hour game room). all day Saturday and closes Saturday at midnight. That's a long time to be open. If that's true, that would be bitchin. I do not care for the expo brawl. please confirm it will open that long period of time. I'm a player at heart and will play all those games twice.

#241 5 years ago
    Quoted from Three60in:

Just bought my hotel room. Any news? Reveals? Stern Party Fri night?

Each night COULD have a reveal. American Pinball on Thursday Night, JJP on Friday Night, Stern on Saturday Night.

4 weeks later
    #735 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Ok sorry for the stupid question but this is the first year I purchased the complete Expo package with badges and passes etc. When or where do you get this packet? Is it shipped to you or do you have to pick it up someplace? I emailed the website and have yet to get a reply. Look forward to seeing the changes and a new show.

You go to the registration desk and tell them your name / show ID - and they hand over the goods to you.

#736 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

IT would be nice if robcraig could post a little more. Not sure what the number of pinsiders it is that attend expo. But his measly 10 post out of over 700 is not a good presence here. Personally, im disappointed in the lack of info from them and im a supporter of the show and my friend and I are bringing at least 10 pins.
    They are also supposedly doing something with some video games there, but I have not been able to find any information about it, or id bring a half dozen or so vids to. .
    Even the facebook post are skimpy, c'mon Rob, step up some post. You got vendors paying money to be there and you are not promoting it well at all. Im not against the change for expo this year, but at least Mike had the MGC crew involved when he was going to do it without Berk. And MGC is already promoting for a show thats still 7 months away.

Hi Troy - How's it going? I'm thrilled you are bringing 10+ pins. Thanks!!! You and all the other people bringing games are going to make it a blast for people like me who love to play, buy, sell, and trade games. I'm bringing all that I can haul in my trailer (5 or 6).
    I think some people believe I'm doing marketing for Expo but that isn't the case. I'm just the guy that started this thread and put a few facts out there.

My role for Expo is to help those that are bringing games get their games registered, provide the perks they deserve, get them loaded into the building, keep track of them throughout the show, and get them out the door at the end of the show. For those that know Darren Sheldon, he is going to be doing the same job throughout the show. Great guy! Still could use a couple more volunteers.

As for video games .... I can say that I have heard that Rob Berk has Galloping Ghost bringing a large'ish number of video games (maybe 25 or 30?). I cautiously say this because things change even at the last minute. I believe there will be a tournament(s) on these machines. Troy - if you bring video games, we will find a place for them. Shows like Louisville and Nashville have a good number of classic video games and I think this is a good idea to have some at the show.

As for vendors, I know that the web site has been almost continuously updated with vendor information. I believe that vendors have been added right up to the end of last week. We're at 40+ now?

I'm crazy busy with career & kids in sports - but attentive to PM's and e-mail to [email protected]. Send urgent questions that way anytime. I'll answer whatever I can that way. Big thanks to LTG and others that are answering the basic expo questions out there.

#741 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinBackpacker:

robcraig I assume you’re in regular communication with Rob Berk. Can you ask him to come into this thread and clear up some of the confusion? We’re just over 10 days out and people seem to have a lot of unanswered questions.

I did contact Rob and asked that he read up and post replies. No guarantees - he's not very involved in any online forum pages (pinball or other) that I'm aware of.

Quoted from NoQuarters:

So who are the vendors that will actually be there ? The general web page is just that - general. Shows Marco and Cointaker and sounds like neither of those will be there. Kingpin will be there but I don't see him listed. Am I looking in the wrong place or reading it incorrectly ? Doesn't seem to be 40+ Vendors even if the page is accurate.
    http://www.pinballexpo.net/vendorhall.html
    An up to date actual listing of vendors who will actually be there would be helpful. Just would like to know who really is or isn't going to be at the show.
    Makes a difference for planning what vehicle I take to the show, and what I might consider buying or coming home with etc.

I know that some companies have been listed on the website as a thanks for their support in promoting the show with their customers. That didn't mean they were coming. I'm not the person responsible but I'll say sorry about that anyway. If you want new pinball or wanting to opt into purchasing a new show demo game, I would talk to Larry Kitchen at Flip N Out. There are a lot of fine people that distribute for Stern and others, but none are finer than Larry.

Brigitt sent me the vendor list for the souvenir guide. It looks like this:
    American Pinball, Inc.
    AMOA
    Back Alley Creations
    Chicago Gaming Company
    Christopher Franchi
    Circus Maximus/Pinball Inc.
    ColorDMD Displays, LLC
    Custom & Homebrew Pinball Machines
    Derek Fugate
    DICED!
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Galloping Ghost Arcade
    Great American Pinball
    ICE
    Jersey Jack Pinball
    Lermods Pinball Company
    Master Pinball Restoration
    Mayfair Amusement Company
    Mirco Playfields
    Outside Edge
    Pin Port
    Pin Stadium
    Pinball Adventures
    Pinball Box Stools
    Pinball Classics
    Pinballpro.com
    PinballSTAR Amusements
    Pinball Wizard Sales & Service
    Pincades
    PinGame Journal
    Pingraffix Inc.
    PinSound
    Project Pinball Charity Group, Inc.
    Robert Berk
    St. Louis Ball Bowler Company
    Starship Fantasy
    Stern Pinball
    Super Skill Shot
    UNIS Technology
    VPcabs
    World Champion Paul Zimmerman Trading Card #1

#797 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fortytwo:

Thanks. I beleive what is wanted is some representation from the organizers in the thread. Right now is a critical time for last minute people wanting to go. Thanks for being a conduit for these questions.
    Do you have an idea of when the vendor layout will be posted on the website? It will help us see if we can get an extra game in.

I don't have a vendor layout - but maybe David Fix has one? I'll see tomorrow night. If your bringing a game, I can assure you we can get it in... if that is what you mean.

#827 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lame33:

Some clarifications about buying and selling at Expo needed.
    If I read it correctly, if I buy a game that has already been setup at Expo, I can't remove it before Saturday night without a fee. I don't have a problem with that as the show needs games, but I have a few questions:
    1. What kind of paperwork is necessary to show the Expo staff that an exchange has occurred and where is this staff going to be located?
    2. If I only plan to attend on Friday and buy a game, how do I get in to collect my purchase on Saturday or Sunday without paying for admission again just to collect my property?

Sellers are responsible for any fees for early removal. As games come in, we will spell this policy out. Sellers should find out if the game they are selling is leaving early and pay any fees for early withdrawal. Why? Because they were the ones compensated when they brought in the game. Any change in ownership for a game - selling or trading - requires a visit to the desk in the gameroom so we can keep ownership straight. If someone sells a game at 3AM - we won't be there. They'll have to come in the next morning at 10AM to get it worked out. We will have a table in the gameroom from 10AM-Midnight Friday and 10AM - 1AM Saturday.

Example - Rob Craig brings in an X-Files on Thursday and gets an armband. Darren Sheldon wants to buy the game Thursday night. Rob asks Darren when he plans on leaving. Darren says Friday. Rob is staying until Saturday night. So Rob either charges Darren $60 more just eats the cost. Both parties come up to the table we have set up in the Gameroom and state that there has been an ownership change. We fill out a new card for the game and update our database. Rob also explains that the game is leaving Friday morning and that he is staying until Saturday night. Since Rob is still getting a $30/day benefit out of the free armband he received for bringing a game, he can either pay $60 or we can cut off the armband and he can go to the registration desk and buy a fresh new armband for all day Friday and another for all day Saturday.

This process serves those that go to the show in keeping games there for the duration of the show (if possible), it servers the buyers because they haven't been compensated for any part of the show - just the seller. And it prevents someone from bringing a game on Wed or Thrs, selling it within the first few hours, the buyer splits, then no one else at the show ever gets to play the game.

I'm sure I've caused most readers to fall asleep by now, but if your are selling a game at Expo, you need to know this information. And we will cover it when people arrive (if they are selling/trading) as they come in.
    -Rob Craig

#865 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

robcraig
    If I bring 7 pins, and sell 1 or 2, is there a penalty? Since benefits stop after 4 machines. Need to know, because that might mean I have to maybe leave the extras on the trailer. But I assume you would want to have all the games you can get

Benefits after 4 games don't stop. Expo starts paying $$$ because it gets silly giving more armbands. If you bring a few people, you'll need the armbands. But if you bring 10 games and 4 people, you wouldn't need those extra armbands anyway.

Stats I have from years past show that only a smaller number of people will be bringing more than 4 games, just a few over 9. I assure you and everyone else that we will handle situations like that on a case by case basis and it will always be in the best interest of having games at the show for people to play. If you sell a few games on Thursday, please encourage your buyers to leave the games in the hall. If they pull a game out early, there should be some part of compensation that also leaves early. There could be a point where someone that is spinning a dozen games in the 24 Hour Gameroom and they start to look like a vendor .... and then should have probably been a vendor. But if they stay there until late Saturday or Sunday morning, no one that came to the show to play games would notice any games missing. That's one goal. The other is to encourage buying, selling, and trading of games and leaving them on the floor until the end of the show. What we absolutely DON'T want is what has been happening at Allentown where games start evaporating off the floor as they are selling. That is a problem there and can be everywhere else.

Short answer - bring all you want and we'll make it work out fairly for you and any buyers too.

-Rob Craig

#892 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

That approach seems odd if you are looking to bring random public in. If I just paid $5-9k on a machine on Friday, I'm not sure I'd want it being banged up over the rest of the weekend....if anything I would think it would deter people from buying until Sunday.

Maybe buying until Saturday since Sunday is load out day. But that is commerce at pinball shows with gamerooms. And while there will be some people wanting to sell games in that price range, I suspect it to be the exception rather than the norm. Newer games will likely be sold from vendors. Buy from a vendor, pay their price, walk out with your game whenever you like. Vendors paid the price for a table / booth space, they sell product, buyers walk away. Done.

#893 5 years ago
    Quoted from pontscot455:

Swap meet in Texas is fun.it would be fun to have a lot swap meet in chicago if possible

We can't make this happen at the Westin. I pitched the idea, we talked to hotel staff, and they said no. Once the Westin contract is over - I hope another venue will allow it and it will be a priority with Rob Berk. He has this in mind moving forward.

1 week later
    #1404 5 years ago

This is a long post - there's your warning. Move on if you want short and sweet reads .....
    After 13 hours of sleep (REALLY!) I have partially come back to life from an exciting and exhausting pinball show execution. It has been 9 years since I was an organizer of a show (prev. Heartland Supershow 2005 -2009) and taking on the role of Games Coordinator (or chairman as Berk stated it) was not all that I would become involved in. I've assisted in the planning of this "Reboot" since April and have researched the amount of work that Mike had previously put in Expo. Notice that I have never been involved in the drama side of the Pacak / Berk split and therefore I have nothing to say nor should ever be involved in that discussion. It should be known that it previously required Mike, and this time myself & David Fix a tremendous amount of effort to pull this show off. Rob Berk had to become more involved than previous. All parties did their jobs to the best of their abilities and the results, outside of the normal or petty complaints, have been fantastic.

The most important change about this show HAD TO BE a positive vibe throughout. Some people thrive upon conflict. I have no use to be included in any circle like that. So teaming with David Fix was important. I want to add Jeff Ohler in here too as a key person that built a complete website and had to put up a million requests to change things. He too is an incredibly positive person and was visible throughout the show working media equipment.

For the Games role, thanking Darren Sheldon is not even close to enough. This guy is a true partner in making the logistics of move-in work. There aren't many people that you can work 18 hours with, then have them snore in the other bed for 6 more, and enjoy working with him for the next several days. He's that kind of person. While a couple of "pre-registered volunteers" didn't show, new ones did show and saved me from an ER visit. I want to thank all of these people that rolled up their sleeves and put in some very hard hours of move in and out ... all being positive and happy people, knowing pinball, and willing to help everyone.
    Karl Marsicek - who even brought me a jar of Peanut Butter and a knife!
    Vince Loeffler, Greg O'Hara, Chris Kubiak - these 4 I consider as the new Mafia.
    Mike Gasper (thanks for the power strip!), Gio, Craig Comparato, and Rob Kotot - The old Mafia came alive!
    All of these local guys worked their butts off - And made me wish I lived closer to the Chicago-land area to play and restore pinball with.
    Far from least, and on Sat. night the MOST is Victoria Herring & Nick Dreessen. These guys came into the Gameroom at 3PM and didn't walk out until 2AM.
    You all deserve far more and if I could, I would have. I also want to thank Andrew Barney for the insight before and encouragement during the show. You know like no other what a job this is! If I left anyone out - I am sorry.

Managing games coming in is a difficult task. We had no way of really knowing who would bring games and what condition these game were in. A perfect world would allow us to stop people, have them setup a game, verify it worked OK, and then send them on, or send them away. Could you imagine the hassle this would create? It's not possible. We have to trust people that they have a working game and can repair it if it breaks down. We emphasize this as they come in and stop people when it looks like they're bringing in barn finds or crap wrapped in plastic. A few were stopped on the way in because of this and told that they would have to become vendors if they wanted to sell their broken or non-working games. Some did just that. We weren't staffed to take keys and manage games that weren't ours. I know some shows are equipped for that but I don't want the responsibility unless I have a team to do so. We needed more people and perhaps it will happen in the future.

Those that mentioned the high number of games that were down in the gameroom - you were right. Rob Berk's games had a large number that were down due to no credits or stuck balls. Consider this though - when you are the main show organizer and you bring a giant truckload of games, you are showing that you are committed to your own show but you are also needed to manage the show. He had a tech there, but that guy was also managing the Rob Berk booth in the vendor hall. There were a few people that would come with keys and get credits on games, fix stuck balls, etc, but not quickly enough. There were also a large number of EM games from Pederson there. These were sometimes troublesome because no one was actively checking on them. In short, Rob needed to have a pair of people just monitoring his and Pederson's games. I wanted to have a "dead game" room but we literally ran out of space. All small side rooms were in use for one reason or another. Outside of this blemish, the large majority of people worked hard to keep their games up and running.

For those that say that these machines were meant to be on and played for 24 hours a day, I say you are rightish. If I have a 1980 Williams Firepower - it should be able to be played like that in 1980, and certainly for some years after than. But in 2018 - maybe not. Of the 6 games I brought and with my role in Expo, I still found the time to fix my Black Rose (had to have my hero Rob Anthony do CPU board work), Laser War (need adjustment to fix stuck balls), and Firepower (burned flipper coil - replaced and fixed EOS switch stack). Strange Science eventually popped a coil fuse late Saturday. I gave in and shut it down. Point is, I led by example throughout. Most others did the same - some really have true fatalities that were beyond something Rob Anthony could fix and no one had parts at the show. One person even drove to Terry's to get a coil to replace a fried one in his game. So for ALL OF THOSE THAT BROUGHT GAMES AND KEPT UP WITH THEM - MY HAT GOES OFF TO YOU! Yes, I shouted. They deserve a very big THANK YOU. It is a selfless act and costs them wear and tear and a lot of effort! Yes, you get an armband. But it usually requires some heart to load up and go through this process. If you haven't brought a game and maintained it throughout a show - please don't complain. We asked that people put their phone numbers on the game registration cards. Most did. They are there for you to text and complain. And they might meet you at their game to kick you a$$ if you complain too much (maybe why the biggest complainers don't text the owners?). Everyone that brings a game should already know that people might text them about their broken game(s). Utilize that option please. But be nice

To the group-on guy that came at 3AM, I hate that for you. I wish I was still lurking around at that hour. I would have gladly let you in, gave you an armband - whatever. If it were me, I would have gave someone a heads up that I was coming in at that hour though. That's an odd time to expect that all would work out. Still, I'm sorry that happened to you. I wish there was a way I could make it up to you.

SPILL OVER ROOM - As more and more games came into the hall, the need to spillover into the Botanic room (aka. Galloping Ghost room) became necessary. Phoebe's outstanding collection of rare WMS games (Varkon, Joust pinball, Rat Race, etc.) was moved multiple times. It was a pain for her but ultimately was in a location where people could really enjoy them. Please thank her for that contribution. She is a wonderful person and it was great to have her unique and well restored games there. Also thank Doc Mac at Galloping Ghost for the games he brought. That was a TON of work for him and his guys. Botanic seems like a full mile away from the dock and they moved all of those in there - probably wore out a pair of shoes in the process. Many of those games were very rare. I seen a lot of people really getting into that part of the room. So if you liked it, tell Doc that you appreciated him bringing all of those. The home brew guys were awesome. As mentioned on the forum topic, it did turn out to be the best place. It was quiet enough to hold a conversation with the developers of those games and people really seemed to appreciate them. I know I did. There were power problems in that room. There are some issues with that room having a limited amount of power available and we were using it to the max. Signage wasn't great for this room. That will be resolved for next year.

ATTENDANCE - I really have no knowledge of attendance numbers but to summarize the buzz from organizers and long-time attendees, it seems like a lot more from last year, and slightly more from 2016. I know this - people were spread out all over the place. There were more rooms than ever before for people to wander into and that could mean fewer people in every room and still have more people there.

PERSONALLY - I appreciate being able to see so many old pinball people at this show. The St. Louis crew, the old Chicago guys, Troy Smith (is there a Central IL crew?), seeing people that still remember the Silverball podcast and GameRoom Magazine was nice. David Fix and his 2 NY guys were great - worked incredibly hard to make the vendor room happen like it did. I really like David's personality. He's the real deal folks! Brigitt Berk is the rock for Expo. Her organizational skills are amazing. Her entire family ran the registration desk and fielded so many requests ... it is hard to imagine how difficult a job that is. She deserves more credit.

I wanted to push in a seminar - but make it an Pinball Electronics class as an experiment. I had about 14 people in there and we went over about 30 minutes with discussion. That's a lot for a 9AM Friday morning "class" that went 2.5 hours. I would call that a success. This might turn into a Pinball Repair Bootcamp event at my college to teach people electronics for pinball. Thanks to those that attended!

I never committed to helping more than the 2018 show as an organizer. It is incredibly taxing on my career, hobbies, and family life to be swept away with all the weekly work for 6 months, week of vacation from work, expenses, 6 hour drive, etc. I wanted to help make Expo "great again" and I did what I could. There are other ideas of resurrecting the old Supershow in Southern Illinois that I would like to try. That suits me better to be honest. Expo will always be a special place, a show to attend and catch up with old pinball friends over a 4 player death match on Night Rider (I lost that one!) or share a meal with - see the new cool games and gadgets,etc.
    THANKS TO ALL FOR MAKING 2018 A GREAT SHOW!

#1416 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Kind of feel the same. I didn't realize we should call the owners. I feared I would be 1 of 200 calls they received for the same game. Just a suggestion for a solution like this. It would be great if the game room had a single room monitor type person with a clip board of all the games and contact info seems like that would streamline the process and also keep the show promoters acknowledged of who is playing the system with shill games. Walk the isles every hour and put a check next to the games down and give them a call. Anyone walking out or turning off a machine could report it to the room monitor at the exit to see if it was reported. One call and a record of who/if they addressed the issue. Just a suggestion at least then they could say "yes it was reported" instead of 40 calls to say I know and it can't be fixed.

Our staff (not staffed all 24 hours) were doing this. Many text messages were sent on down games and our peeps would power them off so people would walk by and find something else. Some of my games went down and I immediately noticed when I glanced and seen it off. Off meant for a reason and people were contacted in as much as our staffing could handle. Room for improvement? Yes - and room next year for more volunteers

#1531 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

it was berks, and cool. bonus, since it was pure EM and no mechanicals on the field it actually worked well.

Wrong. Read the card on the machine. It says Neo Skywalker.

#1533 5 years ago

Video Games? This was presented to the team about 6 months ago as an option. I was for it. Here are a few reasons .. selfish or not.
    - Video games and the golden SS era of pinball co-existed for some years in the late 70's into early 80's. These are super nostalgic.
    - Video game people are often passionate about pinball too, they just don't get to experience it publicly. Drawing some of them in is a good thing.
    - Galloping Ghost is a very cool place, a Chicago venue, made sense to have them there if we had the room. We got the room, they came. Doc is great!
    - Shows have changed since the late 90's and early 2000's. There are more of them, and many feature this golden arcade era of games. Why not? This is a reboot year.
    - Many video games were manufactured by pinball companies and shared some of the same talent. Gottlieb, Stern, Williams, Bally/Midway, all had video divisions or licensed video product to manufacture. This history is precious to many of them. I find it all interesting too.
    Will it come back in the same way next year? I don't know, but I would think they are welcome. Ted seawolf was very key in the video game lineup in the freeplay room. He had 15 classics lined up and at one time, all were being played on that back wall. ALL OF THEM at a pinball expo. Amazing. Ted, I appreciate you bringing your games and should have thanked you in that ridiculously long post a couple days ago. You're a great guy!

#1558 5 years ago
    Quoted from PINTEC:

Rob has opened a 55 gal drum of woop ass on Robotron many times.
    [quoted image]

That is true. The only video game I'm really good at. I had a crowd around me at Louisville this past spring when I busted a million on factory settings. Head sweat rolling off of me and realized why I don't play that game but about twice a year. In a few years I'm going to have to go to a physical therapist before and after. But I love it. Thanks for the kudos.

#1559 5 years ago

Here's a few of my favorite photos from Expo. Note the awards I gave for best solid-state restoration, best DMD restoration, best modded pen. All three of these guys were incredibly grateful and deserve those awards.

20181017_193751 (resized).jpg20181017_193751 (resized).jpg20181018_125743 (resized).jpg20181018_125743 (resized).jpg20181018_180035 (resized).jpg20181018_180035 (resized).jpg20181019_184054 (resized).jpg20181019_184054 (resized).jpg20181020_144751 (resized).jpg20181020_144751 (resized).jpg20181020_161621 (resized).jpg20181020_161621 (resized).jpg20181020_162451 (resized).jpg20181020_162451 (resized).jpg20181020_194155 (resized).jpg20181020_194155 (resized).jpg20181020_231747 (resized).jpg20181020_231747 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobCraig.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-2018-reboot-wheeling-il?tu=RobCraig and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.