Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,674 posts
  • 270 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Joe_Blasi
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“For those that have attended the Expo Banquet before, what would you change?”

• Nothing 16 votes
      6%
    • Skip the fancy food, make it Burgers and Fries at a cheaper cost. 46 votes
      18%
    • Shorten the event, make it super cheap or free, and have no meal at all. 19 votes
      7%
    • I don't care about the banquet. 178 votes
      69%

(259 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_46311 (resized).jpg
    43BFFCCA-1 (resized).jpg
    pacak pickers (resized).png
    20181201_153948 (resized).jpg
    20181028_150630 (resized).jpg
    20181028_144801 (resized).jpg
    20181028_143202 (resized).jpg
    SteveRichieRum (resized).jpg
    20181019_184054 (resized).jpg
    20181018_125743 (resized).jpg
    20181020_194155 (resized).jpg
    20181020_231747 (resized).jpg
    20181017_193751 (resized).jpg
    20181020_161621 (resized).jpg
    20181018_180035 (resized).jpg
    20181020_144751 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CraigC.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 6 years ago

The banquet the way it is (was) terrible. It has the bad stigma of being a means to keep you held hostage until the hall opens up again watching everyone pat themselves on the back and congratulate themselves just to get to the part to watch industry insiders get fleeced for the charity auction is tiring. Now, the auction itself is a great thing and I'm not trying to slight those efforts, and the charity angle in the least. But the whole thing has a stuffy furniture doily approach to it that needs updating.

I envision something a little more free form, more of like an after party, with a quick to the point news session and game/both of the show announcements are presented. Perhaps roll the stern party into it and make it good quality time with new games and the designers engineers companies that made them possible . This should also be the part where people who went out of their way to support the show by vending and bringing games are thanked (They should get free tickets).

The auction should be a separate event with more attendance to generate more excitement, like the auction used to be long ago.

Just some quick thoughts.

#9 6 years ago

Ideally it should be all vendor inclusive but not vendor sponsored. Spooky, JJP, stern, American, ccp, etc. I know that's a bit kumbayah, but all in one place is better than everyone fracturing off into their own after parties. Make it fun, get along, throw out more things from Steve kordek's desk at Williams. No "pinball is going to die and you're all going to hell with me" speeches.

This isn't "the warriors" It's not that cool.

#14 6 years ago

Completely agree. I own 2 TPF shirts but have never been. It's a great way to advertise and make money at the same time.

#22 6 years ago

Vendors need to pack the hall and really feel like they are being taken care of. No pens. No chocolate pretzels... Have that stuff somewhere else. You will need to fluff these guys to make it worth their while. GAP should be there every year , fix the P3 row relationship, where is Rob Z?, Put bangerjay in a kissing booth, get creative. So many people make great things, get them to the show.

Shorten the vendor hall hours, or have a separate section for boutique games from the guys (and gals) who bring palettes of wares who are tired of sitting in a booth with no relief for hours on end and just want to grab something to eat. At TPF security will camp in your both if you need a break or want to step
    away. This is a great idea.

FFS advertise! Beer mats cost nothing. get them to the barcades with rad art on them. Sell them and shirts/posters/stickers (worth owning) at the shown this is where a real artist needs to be paid. Rob Craig had someone awesome at the super show, steal these ideas!
    Vendors get free shit! They're really not making out like everyone thinks they are.

Use the loading dock on the back side of the hotel right_ by the hall! Man, loading in games sucks. I would say make it not rain every time also, you know if you can call in favors.

#26 6 years ago

The boutique games can be in the small partition section of the room. Late night this can be closed down so everyone, including vendors, can play. If a vendor wants to be up all night they can get booth space there, if not they can do booth space in the big section. This is also where the tricky door that never closes is....

1 month later
    #35 5 years ago

I was all go for MGC south. I'm torn now.

Pinfest sure was a great show this year!

-c

5 months later
    #1386 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Every time the leave your keys thing gets mentioned a noisy contingent of “I don’t want nobody touching my game” sqwakers pops up.

I would be in this contingent. But I go out of my way to ensure my game runs all weekend. I think this is a great idea for certain types of people who are hands off, or for those who bring in fresh off route games.

Berk was great at getting someone to look at his games when texted. I texted him on a few games and Rob Craig and I chased down some sold but off games. It would be good to have signage that states "If a game is broken please shut off and text the number on the card" if that person doesn't want more texts, fix the game or put a sign on the game. If irreparable, free play staff will move the game to free up space.

I saw some games in rows that should never have been set up on legs (tiger). There should be a separate room for project games for sale to free up free play space. These games should not qualify for free admission until they are working. Things happen, I've restored games that have had an amazing fault when brought to expo, but it sucks to gobble up valuable space.

#1388 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

If you think that Rob Craig was a great asset to the show, please be sure to make it be known. From what I understand, Rob was brought in on this show to make things happen with all the drama that occurred. But I believe it was a one and done thing. I really hope not. If Rob is in the same role next year, He just needs to call and ill make sure to bring a trailer full up again. I will support him as much as I can
    For the comments about the room that Galloping Ghost had the games. Ive read several comments about half or more of the games being off. Just to clarify, There was an issue with that room, Whoever was responsible, did not get the electrical set up in that room AT ALL so they had to run a few extension cords from the wall outlets. Breakers kept tripping, so they were told to keep most the games off
    As for non working games, something does need to be done about that. There were several games that literally were not turned on at all. For Example, Whodunnit and SWE1. They were brought in as projects, and sold that way. If a game is brought in knowingly not working, it shouldn't be in the freeplay hall.

Rob Craig was great in the coordinator role and it takes a special kind of person to handle all of the issues that arise and also be a great down to earth human being about it. The amount of work is huge, unappreciated and there is no way that I would hose up a valuable pinball weekend beyond just being dumb available muscle. Andrew Barney was also great historically and the efforts these people put in are huge.

#1398 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

On some of my arcade games that don't have free play, I rig the coin return switch to hit a cherry switch to add a credit. It seems to work.

This. I do this on EM games just by bending the coin return wire.

Rob Anthony has, had? A kit that fit in place of a coin mech that can be wired to the coin switch. This worked great on my bowler.

#1422 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Kind of feel the same. I didn't realize we should call the owners. I feared I would be 1 of 200 calls they received for the same game. Just a suggestion for a solution like this. It would be great if the game room had a single room monitor type person with a clip board of all the games and contact info seems like that would streamline the process and also keep the show promoters acknowledged of who is playing the system with shill games. Walk the isles every hour and put a check next to the games down and give them a call. Anyone walking out or turning off a machine could report it to the room monitor at the exit to see if it was reported. One call and a record of who/if they addressed the issue. Just a suggestion at least then they could say "yes it was reported" instead of 40 calls to say I know and it can't be fixed.

Calling is annoying as you can never hear in a pinball show. just sending a text is a quick way to communicate without having to go through pleasantries .

"Hey guy, your comet has a ball stuck, I turned the game off".

"ok I'll get there in 10 minutes, thanks"

there has to be software that sends out group texts, like what's app or something. I would help debug games for people if needed. I would trust any of the mafia guys to look at my game. I would think the Cincinnati folks might want someone they know to look at theirs, so perhaps a few group channels?

-c

#1427 5 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

Pintastic New England has this, plus an online repair ticket system. The main weakness right now is convincing everyone, including 1-day attendees, that they are empowered to report problems.
    .................David Marston

Signage would help. If you don't want to get contacted don't put your number down.

#1429 5 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

this would be really easy to do. if someone doesn't want to participate, then don't put the key on the board. Have a list of techs on the board. you could even ask the owner if they wanted to only use a particular tech person, or anyone. It's not a big reach to do this. It doesn't require much to do it.
    At our show (Ann Arbor show) we have people working the lanes. If they see someone having problems, smell a problem, HEAR a problem (chimp flippers), we address it. We don't need an "app", we can SEE the issues. This requires manpower. But with a show as big as Expo, you would think this would be easy to do. Also all our games are unlocked, so there's no issue finding keys. But that's probably not a comfort level most people would have.
    I tried to help with tech work this year at Expo, but was shut down. I had a car full of parts and tools (as i do in-home repair.) didn't use any of it at expo.... But that's OK it made the show more enjoyable for me as i didn't have to run around and work. So i guess i'm thankful things went that way.

It's easy to say "we", when almost all of it is you. It's a lot harder when there are 30 other "Clays" to navigate with different levels of engagement.

These are all good things to work on for next year. It would be great to have you rove the lanes bringing games up to spec and I'm sure people could learn a lot from that. I for one am glad you are volunteering to do this and wouldn't turn this away.

#1434 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

What are you talking aboot? There were 35 of us working the recent one day "Mini-Show". I worked my ass off at from an hour prior to open until well past the closing. For the three day main show weekend there are twenty more volunteers working.

Too bad BERK has erratic behavior and refused to let Clay help out nor have a seminar. In prior years he would introduce Clay and hand him a gift for speaking. Puzzling......

#1435 5 years ago

They are mostly Clay's games. You guys aren't starting with an unpopulated room and having to Unload and helpset up 300 pins. I'm not trying to short your efforts, but it's a different dynamic.

#1440 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

craigc
    Craig, dont fall for it, If you say anything about Clay, Bally will get on you. Most of us understand. When you have a bunch of machines come from collectors, players, enthusiast, etc all come in one day, set up and be played for days straight, things happen. And there is no comparison to one persons collection that is set up permanently, with a group of friends that maintain them often. And when you have someone like Clay and his knowledge, thats an added bonus, because many of the people that brought games to expo do not have his knowledge. Just imagine if one person was removed from the ann arbor "show" it would be dead, no clay, no machines, no head tech
    Remove clay from expo, ok, well, its still expo.
    Do I think that clay could enhance expo, sure thing, I even heard him chatter before the show offereing to help Rob Anthony and all, and got tons of thumbs up from commenting it. But I never saw him working on games, so I dont know what happened to that

Copy that, well said. I'm just an idealist who naively thinks we can all work together at something and just be excellent to each other. I guess I'm the weirdo .

#1442 5 years ago
    Quoted from seawolf:

I brought 16 games (vids ) Fixed one on site and had one dead solider (vector star trek) My games ran all weekend with 0 down time because I put in the prep work on my games

I have no idea how you guys move vids all of the time, they are crazy heavy. I agree on putting in the time to make things solid and not just just hoping for the best. The stuff doc brought was rare and cool to see while it worked, with the power issues in that room it was probably good that not everything was running

#1444 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

Vids are actually much easier, believe me. I move them more than most. They basically weight the exact same, but you dont have to put legs on, I can unload a trailer full of vids in about 1/4 the time of a trailer full of pins and set them up. Not trying to steal any glory from Seawolf, he is a good friend of mine. But just being honest, I would rather take vids to a show than pins when it comes to the labor involved

Much harder to move up stairs, I guess is what I was thinking. If you have first floor space that would be a non issue. I usually pull the monitors to keep my spine from shooting out of my ass.

#1462 5 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

"Just imagine if one person was removed from the ann arbor show it would be dead, no clay, no machines, no head tech."

Clay, if you didn't have the location AND all of these machines and had to rely on a community of people to supply games to your show, AND volunteer, then it would be a similar dynamic and challenges. Nobody is shitting on your show, you just seem to simplify the challenges to your experience which honestly is mostly irrelevant.

The only similarity is keeping the games running, which thankfully you don't have to break down, hump across the country, and set up. You also own the majority of the games, so you simplify dealing with 30++ owners to just dealing with one dude who owns and runs the place. You can target your volunteers to just policing the door and games instead of doing everything else.

It's different. It's great that you have what you have, expo doesn't and has too rely on people working with people to make it happen.
    Sometimes you just need to put your differences aside and try to mend relationships.

#1471 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

With the entry door on the 'front' hall and the high number of games to play in the main vendor hall (several free play banks, pin stadiums huge row, american pinball's bank, jjps bank, sterns setup, cgc) I think a good number of people never even went down the hall to the freeplay room.
    I know traffic in Rob's room was down, I've heard comments that the free play hall wasn't crowded at any point and every time I was in that hallway it seemed pretty barren.

I agree that traffic was down in the free play hall. Better signage would help. Or some games set up as a trail of breadcrumbs that are also available after hours.

#1485 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

Im actually opposite of this. If they have expobrawl next year, I wont bring as much if its run the same way as in the past. I have never liked a tournament being played on games that I brought, and the public who I brought the games for cant get to them to play. If they want to rent my games for a tournament, go right ahead. Otherwise, whoever runs the tournament can find a way to get the machines they want themselves and have them in a specific area so that the public can enjoy the ones brought for the freeplay hall

I completely agree with this.

#1486 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I don't think I've ever bought anything at Expo. I might have checked out my cart at the Marco booth for free shipping once. That's it.
    I was after two things this year. A powerball, and a single 1/4 turn lamp socket. Couldn't find either.

What no pin-stadiums?

I bought 2 translite for my Sega games, 2 flipper bats. There really wasn't too much to buy unless you want mods, games or lights. Only one good junk booth, and I had most of that junk already .

I would like to see some of the smaller vendors there. I didn't bring my trash this year for people to rifle through, so I guess I can blame myself partially .

#1541 5 years ago

It was great meeting Gryszzz. It was for not long enough, I'm sure we could have'old punk rocker' bonded longer. Next time.

I'm cool with the vids, start some crossover and mix up the seminars. With pinball we know all of those stories already, get some fresh meat in there.

Just need to get the power figured out ahead of time.

-c

#1568 5 years ago
    Quoted from yendor0:

What was Berk's game that spent some time in Rob's room? Looked like a late Gottlieb Sys1, but I didn't find it in IPDB...
    Had a backboard that would rotate from the middle (rather than one end) to allow access to the boards in the head.

Star race was in there for a while. System 80 games changed the board and door configuration just about every other game.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CraigC.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-2018-reboot-wheeling-il?tu=CraigC and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.