Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,674 posts
  • 270 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Joe_Blasi
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“For those that have attended the Expo Banquet before, what would you change?”

• Nothing 16 votes
      6%
    • Skip the fancy food, make it Burgers and Fries at a cheaper cost. 46 votes
      18%
    • Shorten the event, make it super cheap or free, and have no meal at all. 19 votes
      7%
    • I don't care about the banquet. 178 votes
      69%

(259 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_46311 (resized).jpg
    43BFFCCA-1 (resized).jpg
    pacak pickers (resized).png
    20181201_153948 (resized).jpg
    20181028_150630 (resized).jpg
    20181028_144801 (resized).jpg
    20181028_143202 (resized).jpg
    SteveRichieRum (resized).jpg
    20181019_184054 (resized).jpg
    20181018_125743 (resized).jpg
    20181020_194155 (resized).jpg
    20181020_231747 (resized).jpg
    20181017_193751 (resized).jpg
    20181020_161621 (resized).jpg
    20181018_180035 (resized).jpg
    20181020_144751 (resized).jpg
    There are 1,674 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 34.
    #201 5 years ago

RobCraig your in charge of the free play hall. by the looks of the seminar schedule the free play hall opens at 6PM Thursday, doesn't close Friday at all (24hour game room). all day Saturday and closes Saturday at midnight. That's a long time to be open. If that's true, that would be bitchin. I do not care for the expo brawl. please confirm it will open that long period of time. I'm a player at heart and will play all those games twice.

#202 5 years ago
    Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

It could have been a beer glass

That would've been fine, as long as it isn't used for craft beer. That stuff is for poseurs.

#203 5 years ago

Any way to bring some air circulation into the free play room? Came with some friends (men, women and children) last year and all I heard them talk about was how bad the free play room smelled... BO. Honestly I have been in several gyms that smelt better.

I see this as more of a facility issue. Can the hotel turn the air on or can air purifiers be set around? Pinballing at a show is a great experience, no need to play in adverse conditions.

#204 5 years ago

I believe that aroma was the perfume of the onions from those fantastic Italian beef sandwiches.

#205 5 years ago
    Quoted from hd60609:

Any way to bring some air circulation into the free play room? Came with some friends (men, women and children) last year and all I heard them talk about was how bad the free play room smelled... BO. Honestly I have been in several gyms that smelt better.
    I see this as more of a facility issue. Can the hotel turn the air on or can air purifiers be set around? Pinballing at a show is a great experience, no need to play in adverse conditions.

The smell is hot people and hot electronics, its never going to be good.

#207 5 years ago
    Quoted from hd60609:

Uhhh, have you SEEN the people in this hobby? Neck beards, jean shorts with their ill-fitting shirts tucked in (no belt, of course), all black New Balance shoes with white crew socks, arms crossed (anti-social) as they wait their turn to play.

No amount of AC is going to fix their odor. Ever.

#208 5 years ago
    Quoted from APB_Enterprises:

Bryan_Kelly is hot, and always smells fantastic!

WTF is wrong with you?

#209 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

The smell is hot people and hot electronics, its never going to be good.

It's not really an issue at shows I attend... TPF, Replay, York, Allentown.. yet it's a recurring theme for Expo. Eventually someone should realize it's something localized

#210 5 years ago

Is there a pinball life after party this year?

#211 5 years ago

Just saying...the pinball areas of MGC always smell better then the video game areas.

#212 5 years ago
    Quoted from galaxian:

Is there a pinball life after party this year?

There never was a Pinball Life "After Party" at Expo to my knowledge.
    The Saturday night after party is at the MGC shows. (and in the past, has been heavily co-sponsored by Pinball Life)

For Chicago Expo, you drive out to Pinball Life in Huntley for their afternoon parties (normally on Thurs & Friday during Expo).
    Separate thread:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-life-13th-annual-open-house-info/page/8#post-4556836

#213 5 years ago

Pinball Expo Called me did they call you?

Hello my name is Stephanie and I'm calling in behalf of the pinball expo that's coming up we are looking for exhibitors at our show, this year is going to be bigger and better than ever! if you want to check it out go to www.pinballexpo.net.

Pinball Expo Is Jumping The Shark 2018!!!

444444 (resized).jpg444444 (resized).jpg
    #214 5 years ago
    Quoted from supercombo:

I had a blast with ExpoBrawl the last 3 years and I'd LOVE to play again this year, but it's noticeably absent from the show schedule and the promotional email talking up the tournaments that just went out (mentioned above by epthegeek ).
    My drama insight is limited so I could be ENTIRELY wrong, but I think ExpoBrawl was primarily run by some of the Ohio crew who brought a lot of games each year and are no longer attending due to the Expo show drama/split... they fell on the Pacak side of things. Can anyone confirm or correct?

I'm really surprised ExpoBrawl was popular. I played once and I had no interest in playing again. It took up all morning/early afternoon, so you couldn't go/see anything else and cost $80 per two player team. All you got for $40 each was a cheap shirt and sandwich lunch...then you just got to do a lot of waiting around to play the same games that every other person who paid to get into the show (including yourself) already gets to play for free. If you like the social aspect of it, just walk around and ask people to play 2 player games and save yourself a bunch of time and cash.

#215 5 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

I'm really surprised ExpoBrawl was popular. I played once and I had no interest in playing again. It took up all morning/early afternoon, so you couldn't go/see anything else and cost $80 per two player team. All you got for $40 each was a cheap shirt and sandwich lunch...then you just got to do a lot of waiting around to play the same games that every other person who paid to get into the show (including yourself) already gets to play for free. If you like the social aspect of it, just walk around and ask people to play 2 player games and save yourself a bunch of time and cash.

Huh? Disagree. Expo Brawl has been awesome, perfect format for those that dont want to wait in line for a tournament for three days.. over before lunch, cost 40 a team. I look forward to it. I suggest you guys do this at expo again this year. Those that want to walk around and ask randoms to play can do that all night long..

#216 5 years ago
    Quoted from ZEN:

Huh? Disagree. Expo Brawl has been awesome, perfect format for those that dont want to wait in line for a tournament for three days.. over before lunch, cost 40 a team. I look forward to it. I suggest you guys do this at expo again this year. Those that want to walk around and ask randoms to play can do that all night long..

Have to agree Expo-Brawl is the best tourney at Expo bar none. Get to meet and play with many different players of all abilities, very structured format, minimal cost, and DONUTS!! Best part is the staff knows how to run the event very well.

How would it go this year if ran by someone else, who knows.

#217 5 years ago

expo brawl was never over before lunch. Never! I've waited long into the afternoon in years past. some years well past 3p.m. basically where I said screw it, I'm going to pinball life instead. horrible.

all the while expo brawl is playing on the games YOU brought for free play hall. so it's closed off to the public even for the people that brought the games for expo. NOT the brawl. then you have to pay to play the brawl? PASS. I will wait til it's over and play all games and not be charged.

The vendor hall is closed til 6 on friday. with no vendor hall open and no free play hall open because it's closed for expo brawl. where are the people who came in from out-of-town supose to do? sight see? pay more money to be in another tournament? my opinion is horrible format. do it at 1a.m. when know body cares. 1a.m. is good brawling time anyway. lol

#219 5 years ago

I'm gettin excited.
    You?

#220 5 years ago

oh boy!!!!

#221 5 years ago
    Quoted from cavalier88z24:

expo brawl was never over before lunch. Never! I've waited long into the afternoon in years past. some years well past 3p.m. basically where I said screw it, I'm going to pinball life instead. horrible.
    all the while expo brawl is playing on the games YOU brought for free play hall. so it's closed off to the public even for the people that brought the games for expo. NOT the brawl. then you have to pay to play the brawl? PASS. I will wait til it's over and play all games and not be charged.
    The vendor hall is closed til 6 on friday. with no vendor hall open and no free play hall open because it's closed for expo brawl. where are the people who came in from out-of-town supose to do? sight see? pay more money to be in another tournament? my opinion is horrible format. do it at 1a.m. when know body cares. 1a.m. is good brawling time anyway. lol

Fully agree, hate in years past that I set up half a dozen machines for people to enjoy, just for them to be told they can't play them because the brawl is going on. If Expo wants to run a $40 per team tourney, then bring your own machines to play it own

#222 5 years ago

What is the auction on Saturday? Game auction ?

#223 5 years ago

Don't know if folks want something like this, but I have an updated copy of the Buying / Selling Expo spreadsheet. This was posted for several years on the old Expo site. I've reached out to Rob Berk with the link since I didn't see it on the current site. Never got a response.

Anyway, if this is something useful for others to share their needs / wants (other than posting on pinside of course) here's the linky. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12KkxIsl6I0ME1bEJ1uTZVXl1acGDn9Z91cDLWw3tjiw/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks

#224 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I opted out from attending this year ...

Quoted from Whysnow:

Chicago is not really my local show. Drivable, but far from what I would consider local.

just over 2 hours and a 130 mile drive to expo, yet you chose to make the 14 hour, 880 mile drive to allentown [pinfest] earlier this year ??? pennsylvania, now thats far from what i would consider local.

#225 5 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

just over 2 hours and a 130 mile drive to expo, yet you chose to make the 14 hour, 880 mile drive to allentown [pinfest] earlier this year ??? pennsylvania, now thats far from what i would consider local.

Did he say that was a local show? Or is this the weirdest stretch of reality I’ve seen all day?

Many of us travel great distance to attend quality shows with great reputations, like Allentown or TPF. The recent reputation of expo is of a show in decline, and now it’s got a major shake up surrounded by lots of dumb drama.

#226 5 years ago

Fly Eagles fly!
    Well I was gonna bring Breakshot but still haven't sorted out the sound issue. My alt was I500 but it needs boardwork now too. Hopefully get one of em goin to bring. I'm thinkin Indy 500.

#227 5 years ago

For my room. Not free play.

#228 5 years ago

Also....need roommate this year since Violent Steve can't make it. Anybody like an over-abundance of weed, beer, and really loud death metal at all hours? Step on up.

#229 5 years ago

I hope to see my friends of 33 years at Expo this year. The purchase of the PINBALL EXPO name was somewhat a hostile takeover I was given the right to do a show AND The contract at the Westin Mr Berk announced several times he was doing a show somewhere else and a . month earlier After I cashed his first payment then he told Westin it was his. I tried several times to talk to him but he refuses.He has stated on several occasions that I was free to do a show at the Westin but he was not.. Legal papers have been filed He also stated previously that I was not permitted to set up at the show. I have asked several times with no answer more to come soon Hope to see my friends of 33 years soon. I is like a family reunion to me.

#230 5 years ago

fire someone in charge wasn't an option and I am not talking about Rob.

#231 5 years ago
    f92610f657b1539eeadae6543e03d582 (resized).jpgf92610f657b1539eeadae6543e03d582 (resized).jpg
    #232 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

The recent reputation of expo is of a show in decline, and now it’s got a major shake up surrounded by lots of dumb drama.

Quoted from mikepin:

The purchase of the PINBALL EXPO name was somewhat a hostile takeover I was given the right to do a show AND The contract at the Westin Mr Berk announced several times he was doing a show somewhere else and a . month earlier After I cashed his first payment then he told Westin it was his.

It would seem that Ep is correct...Not sure I want to go to the show this year or not...

#233 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Also....need roommate this year since Violent Steve can't make it. Anybody like an over-abundance of weed, beer, and really loud death metal at all hours? Step on up.

Working on it..

20171013_002736 (resized).jpg20171013_002736 (resized).jpg
    #234 5 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Meeting and talking with the pinball VIP's is also great. Some of those VIPs only show up for an "appearance" and then leave … stick around and talk with us pinball addicts. It helps to make things more interesting for the show. LTG is always good for a conversation or questions and there for a good part of these kind of shows.

Hey, they hang around all day waiting for you to talk to them and ask them questions.

IMG_0998 (resized).JPGIMG_0998 (resized).JPG
    #235 5 years ago

PINBALL EXPO 2018 DELIVERS A WEALTH OF TOURNAMENTS

Whether you are a casual player or a proficient gamer, Pinball Expo 2018 is featuring the most competitions ever to test your skills. With over $25,000 in cash and prizes to be won, this year’s event is a cornucopia of 10 different tournaments. It is the most diverse collection of tournaments in the 34 year history of the longest continuously running Pinball Exposition. And, for the very first time, it will not only be pinball wizardry on center stage.

For those who fancy themselves able to “stand like a statue, becoming part of the machine, feeling all the bumpers and always playing clean”, well there is the annual Flip Out tournament with both A and B divisions based on player rankings. More than $10,000 in cash and prizes are up for the taking with the winner of the A division taking home $3,500 and a Stern pinball machine. The B division winner will pocket a top prize of $500. In addition, a Classics pinball tournament is also on the schedule with $750 awarded for finishing 1st. But there is still more for intrepid silverball wizards.

American Pinball is staging a competition on Houdini: Master of Mystery. Located in the Chicago suburb of Streamwood, the company is one of the newest manufacturers in the growing resurgence of pinball. Their premiere effort captures many of the greatest illusions and escapes from the legendary performer with a design incorporating five different multi-balls, ten stage modes and much more to be discovered and mastered.

The winner of this tournament will take home a brand new Houdini: Master of Mystery pinball machine. And for those under the age of 16, there is a special Junior Tournament with trophies to the top three players.

Located just outside Chicago in Brookfield, IL resides the world’s largest arcade. Featuring over 550 games, Galloping Ghost Retro Aurcade is pleased to present a dazzling array of the latest and classic video games for an exciting tournament that is guaranteed to put all skills to the ultimate test. There will be a lineup of 10 different machines with the winning video gamer taking home a trophy and a special Galloping Ghost tournament belt.

Founded in 1972, Atari introduced a machine that would ultimately change the world of game playing forever. The company’s and the industry’s first commercially successful arcade video game helped establish an entirely new medium of leisure time entertainment. Pong was a simple black and white table tennis sports game featuring two-dimensional graphics. But it spawned a revolution which continues today. But now Pong is back in a completely new form and Pinball Expo 2018 is excited to present the inaugural Atari Pong Coffee Table tournament that takes the basic game play to an entirely different level inspired by the classic but without screens or digital software. Instead, the game is recreated using motors, rails, pulley and magnets to simulate the 2D physics of the original game. There are not only bragging rights for winning but also a trophy and a prize package of official licensed Atari merchandise.

Another classic comes into the tournament mix courtesy of one of the world’s leading manufacturers of coin-operated amusement games. Innovative Concepts in Entertainment enjoys a rich history dating back over thirty-five years as the producer of some of the best sports games for the home, arcade and office. However, even more so, is the broad range of machines created by the company, led by the game that first put it on the map: Bubble Hockey. Still manufactured today incorporating all the latest technology, bells and whistles, Super Chexx remains in a class by itself. At Pinball Expo 2018, the Super Chexx Pro Hockey Tournament, will be a non-stop competition to determine who can rise to the top and win the trophy and prize package.

And for those hoping to strike it rich, Pinball Expo 2018 is serving up a Big Ball Bowler tournament where the winning kegler will take home their very own vintage Chicago Coin Monte Carlo. Introduced into the market back in 1971, this 13-foot Big Bowl Bowler was a coin-operated amusement game stalwart that has endured for over five decades. Although many may be familiar with shuffle alleys and puck bowling, it was the original, using a 4 ½ inch ball, which captivated a generation of players. Who has the skills to maybe roll a perfect game and take home the prize? It will go down to the final frame of the final game.

Players will set their sights in the Midway Haunted House Electro-Mechanical Game Challenge. Introduced in 1972, this game helped define an era for coin-operated amusement games. Featuring an exciting three dimensional playfield of such moving targets as witches, cats and grave robbers, the backlight lighting provided a unique visual experience. This was ably enhanced by a special 4-channel 8-track player for background sounds along with custom sound effects for each of the targets. At Pinball Expo 2018, we will see who can aim for the winning prize package and trophy.

#236 5 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

You realize it's a little creepy that you are not only keeping track of his trips, but actually took the time to google the routes, right? You need to play more pinball dude!

#237 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

You realize it's a little creepy that you are not only keeping track of his trips, but actually took the time to google the routes, right? You need to play more pinball dude!

spot on! creeper level 100!

#238 5 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

It would seem that Ep is correct...Not sure I want to go to the show this year or not...

Expo is bigger than any one or two men. The people make the show. If we all just show up, bring games & vend, Expo will be Expo. All of this "I dunno, might stay home" hand-wringing is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Don't let the drama win. Let's have a great show.

#239 5 years ago

TheKorn - PM sent. Thanks for taking all the time to go through the website.

#240 5 years ago

The Freeplay room will be open during all of the hours posted. We intend on having some space for repairs outside of the freeplay room too but I don't know where or what hours that place will be available yet. It should be a really good time for all that love to play late into the night and early into the morning!

Quoted from cavalier88z24:

robcraig your in charge of the free play hall. by the looks of the seminar schedule the free play hall opens at 6PM Thursday, doesn't close Friday at all (24hour game room). all day Saturday and closes Saturday at midnight. That's a long time to be open. If that's true, that would be bitchin. I do not care for the expo brawl. please confirm it will open that long period of time. I'm a player at heart and will play all those games twice.

#241 5 years ago
    Quoted from Three60in:

Just bought my hotel room. Any news? Reveals? Stern Party Fri night?

Each night COULD have a reveal. American Pinball on Thursday Night, JJP on Friday Night, Stern on Saturday Night.

#242 5 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Expo is bigger than any one or two men. The people make the show. If we all just show up, bring games & vend, Expo will be Expo. All of this "I dunno, might stay home" hand-wringing is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Don't let the drama win. Let's have a great show.

On the one hand; Yeah, power to the people and shit.

On the other hand; If the attendees pull together to make the show decent and the organizers could not, you're earning them money for failing to properly run a show.

Heh.

#243 5 years ago

Sounds a bit like they're trying to go in the Replay/Pinburgh direction. Not sure I like that, as we already have a great show like that. I'm still trying to decide weather to go or not.

#244 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

spot on! creeper level 100!

Snowy, baby, I'm surprised by your stance on Expo. I've seen your posts here. You have this need to be involved in everything pinball, and here's your prime opportunity: a convention solely dedicated to pinball. You're always the first person to be cheerleading on others to bring games to make this the best $CONVENTION ever this $YEAR! You encourage people to pre-order this & that. I'm surprised you aren't up until 3am trying to coordinate things for Expo. You know, cause pinball.

You Wisconsin guys, sometimes I don't get you. Heh.

#245 5 years ago

First world troubles, whether or not to go to a pinball show. Life is short, take advantage, go and have fun, meet some people, etc.

#246 5 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

a convention solely dedicated to pinball.

Did you see the tournament list? Trent's normal tournament, a side game on Houdini and 5 not pinball tournaments. Not solely anymore.

#247 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Did you see the tournament list? Trent's normal tournament, a side game on Houdini and 5 not pinball tournaments. Not solely anymore.

Sounds more like an arcade show than a pinball show.

#248 5 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Sounds more like an arcade show than a pinball show.

Mix it up a bit. More things for more peoples tastes.

#249 5 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

You Wisconsin guys, sometimes I don't get you. Heh.

We like it that way!

#250 5 years ago

im thinking of bringing five machines this yr, but all I have is an open trailer so hopefully the weather cooperates. I’ll wrap and tarp them just in case as always but I’m not taking chances if it’s all rain or even the s word. Four arcades and one pin, all will be available for sale or trade. Would like a tempest on arcade side of things, and wide open for pins.

There are 1,674 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 34.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-2018-reboot-wheeling-il/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.