1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 1,658 posts
  • 270 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 hours ago by chad
  • Topic is favorited by 61 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“For those that have attended the Expo Banquet before, what would you change?”

• Nothing 15 votes
      6%
    • Skip the fancy food, make it Burgers and Fries at a cheaper cost. 46 votes
      18%
    • Shorten the event, make it super cheap or free, and have no meal at all. 19 votes
      7%
    • I don't care about the banquet. 176 votes
      69%

(256 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 293 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_46311 (resized).jpg
    43BFFCCA-1 (resized).jpg
    pacak pickers (resized).png
    20181201_153948 (resized).jpg
    20181028_150630 (resized).jpg
    20181028_144801 (resized).jpg
    20181028_143202 (resized).jpg
    SteveRichieRum (resized).jpg
    20181019_184054 (resized).jpg
    20181018_125743 (resized).jpg
    20181020_194155 (resized).jpg
    20181020_231747 (resized).jpg
    20181017_193751 (resized).jpg
    20181020_161621 (resized).jpg
    20181018_180035 (resized).jpg
    20181020_144751 (resized).jpg

There are 1658 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 34.
    #151 11 months ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

I see that the Pinball Life open house is now advertised on the schedule for Thursday 10:30AM-4:30PM and Friday Noon-6PM. It's interesting that Expo has that information on their schedule

Quite interesting.. Pacek hasn't gotten along with Terry since before I got in this hobby in 2011 (in fact I think I remember him bawking about the "ambulance" transport picking people up from Expo to bring them to pinball life). This seems like the beginning of a positive change.

#152 11 months ago

Pacak and Terry made up a year or two ago. i think the Pinball Life party was on the schedule last year. Those two have been working together for at least a year or two on not being mad at each other. And to that end, to not schedule stuff over each other (or at least not too much stuff.) It was nice that those two figured it out.

#153 10 months ago

Flights and Hotel booked. See you all at the 2018 Chicago Pinball Expo.

1 week later
    #154 10 months ago

Just bought my hotel room. Any news? Reveals? Stern Party Fri night?

#155 10 months ago

Seems like details are few, especially with all the show leadership changes and the fact that it is less than 2 months away.

#156 10 months ago
    Quoted from Three60in:

Just bought my hotel room. Any news? Reveals? Stern Party Fri night?

Since there is no longer a banquet on Saturday night they are having the Stern-O-Rama party on Saturday. Last year it was on Friday.

#157 10 months ago

Aboot to cancel my hotel reservation.

I heard the new show management is restricting seminar participants. Sounds like censorship to me.

#158 10 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Aboot to cancel my hotel reservation.
    I heard the new show management is restricting seminar participants. Sounds like censorship to me.

You can’t just drop that in here without details, what do you know?

#159 10 months ago

Anyone know if there will be an ExpoBrawl on Friday morning? It shows the arcade hall being open 24 hours on Friday, so my guess is no ExpoBrawl unless they move some games to another room for it.

#160 10 months ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

Seems like details are few, especially with all the show leadership changes and the fact that it is less than 2 months away.

This pinside thread has more info on Expo then the Facebook page.

#161 10 months ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

Where do you see anything about the rooms changing?
    bumper blast has always been in a different room than the gameroom. Thats the food for the game bringers.

pasted_image (resized).png
    #162 10 months ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

[quoted image]

So set up Wednesday, breakdown move Thursday. I am thinking of bringing several games but now not so sure.

#163 10 months ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

[quoted image]

Why would you even set games up on Wednesday to only move them Thursday when the hall doesn't open until Thursday anyway?

#164 10 months ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Why would you even set games up on Wednesday to only move them Thursday when the hall doesn't open until Thursday anyway?

Thats how its been. Wednesday is set up time. I will be at the Stern tour Thursday , so that eats time.

#165 10 months ago
    Quoted from chad:

Thats how its been. Wednesday is set up time. I will be at the Stern tour Thursday , so that eats time.

No, they make it sound like they want games set up in one room on Wednesday then torn down and moved to a different room on Thursday.

#166 10 months ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

No, they make it sound like they want games set up in one room on Wednesday then torn down and moved to a different room on Thursday.

Yes , I know. Thats what I was kinda complaining about. Unless there is going to be 20 plus pin moving carts (4 wheel metal style). That would not be too bad, but to set up then break down repeat .

#167 10 months ago

I'm surprised that a month and a half away and they aren't on here answering questions to cut speculations down.

#168 10 months ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

I'm surprised that a month and a half away and they aren't on here answering questions to cut speculations down.

It would be nice to know here. I don't have fb and all other social media.

#169 10 months ago

Rob Craig here - catching up on this thread. There seems to be a few worried about a couple of things. Let me try to address these from my perspective.

Bumper Blast - Games moving on Wednesday from one room to another ....
    Bumper Blast has been a smallish event that celebrates the start of Expo for those that have made it in early. If you go back far enough (2001), it was a small room with some fruit trays and a TV playing Tommy. It's not intended to be a fully set-up free play room with 200+ games. The thinking here is that it would be good to have PINBALL at the opening event of PINBALL EXPO. Moving games from one room to another is a logistic requirement since Bumper Blast is in one room and the freeplay room is in another. This was dictated by hotel availability on Wednesday vs what is available on Thursday. I absolutely hate doing this but we don't have a choice unless some event is cancelled and we get some space earlier (which still could happen). If the option is to play some pinball themed video clips on a screen or play real pinball, we opted for playing pinball. We didn't think anyone would complain about that.

Game Move In on Wednesday - I (and volunteers) will be ready to assist anyone that wants to unload a game(s) on Wednesday from Noon and onward. I'm willing to be at the dock earlier if you can't wait until noon. From previous show data, Thursday will be the biggest move in day for most people bringing 1 or 2 games - so games for Bumper Blast will likely be games from those who came early, some of Berk's collection, my games, etc. Since games come in more frequently after Bumper Blast, the logistics of moving games directly into the freeplay room will hopefully not be as intense. As for pinball dollies, I'm bringing mine, Berk and Fix will have several, some volunteers will have theirs, and some bringing games will have theirs too. We will do the best we can.

Volunteers - I'm looking for people to join our existing team in helping unload at the dock, stock the freeplay room, and assist in the vending hall with some of the games there. Please contact me directly at popbumper@gmail.com if you want on the team. I've been compiling the team but will lock this down by the end of Sept. So if you have at least a half-a-day you are willing to donate (Wed evening / Thursday all day preferred), please let me know. The website has a lot of information about volunteering you can read but in short, you need to be physically able and experienced in moving pinball machines with pinball dollies and an overall friendly person (aren't all pinball people friendly??).

Pinball Life Party & Expo - These events should always go together and this year we wanted to make it clear that they do. Terry's party is a core part of the Expo experience and everyone should go to the party at least once. If I can find enough volunteers to cover me - I will go myself.

Why hasn't someone been on here answering our questions? - Because a lot of things have been evolving and making announcements about things that you change later is bad business and upsets people. I'm fairly conservative about declaring something might happen unless we know for sure that it will happen. And, I only speak for myself as someone helping organize the show. Everyone is welcome to e-mail Rob Berk or David Fix directly with your questions. Or use any of the e-mail addresses on the website at www.pinballexpo.com .

More questions? Ask them here, I'll answer if I can.
    -Rob Craig

#170 10 months ago

Will there be an ExpoBrawl on Friday morning?

#171 10 months ago

Expobrawl is a highlight for me, hope it's happening.

#172 10 months ago

Do you have a current vendor list?

#173 10 months ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Do you have a current vendor list?

expo vendors 2018 (resized).png
    #174 10 months ago

Thanks for the update Rob.

#175 10 months ago

Thank you toyotaboy for pasting that graphic. Information about vendors and who will show is going to be on the website. This year's site is managed by a real web developer / design stud - Jeff Ohler. His passion for pinball and arcade games is hardly matched. He has a mostly arcade game (still some pinball) youtube channel called Arcade Hollywood. Check him out if you can. Point is - he's on top of things. I get several notifications a week that he's updated something on the page. I expect those updates to increase as we get closer to the show.

#176 10 months ago
    Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

Expobrawl is a highlight for me, hope it's happening.

Eric_S and foureyedcharlie, who was the coordinator of the last Expobrawl? It wasn't me then and I'm not coordinating it now. BUT - I'm happy to assist in working out the logistics for a brawl. Contact the last person who ran it and have them get in touch with me if they are still interested in coordinating it. It's a ton of work to do, but a ton of fun to participate in too.

#177 10 months ago

I'm not familiar with the specifics of running ExpoBrawl, but here is the posting from last year:

Quoted from CRWgxp:

ExpoBrawl 2017 registration is open. Due to space and time constraints we do have a hard cutoff at 32 registered teams. After that we will take teams to the waitlist.
    Registration fees:
    Early Bird Registration (until 9/15/17): $30
    Registration (9/15/17 to 9/30/17): $35
    Late Registration (after 10/1/17):$40.
    This year’s tournament will again follow the PinGolf format. We are making a few tweaks to the rules, and will be sending the final informat out as we get closer to Pinball Expo 2017.
    Registration link:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1HFJIjxXgZSkJVrialgsvnZrG1FTMJhIFz90RJ3i7yEY/viewform?
    Happy flipping!
    ~ExpoBrawl Staff

#178 10 months ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

in fact I think I remember him bawking about the "ambulance" transport picking people up from Expo to bring them to pinball life

Yeah that was me. I was and am doing that on my own. I use the ambulance to bring games to Expo then I use it to give people who want a ride to Pinball Life.

I offer the ride because not everybody has a car at Expo and the Ambulance can safely seat 8 and unsafely "fit" 22.

Ill start a thread in about a month for the "shuttle" again this year.

Looking forward to this year.

#180 10 months ago

I'll feed a little input here: We all know in the past that the show has spiraled downhill, but with some new leadership we hope it all gets back to the fun and excitement it used to be. I myself contemplated as well as a few others I know about attending and setting up this year. It has not been a money maker for the past 4-5 years from what it used to be. Money loser was more like it. I could show up in the past and sell enough pins and parts etc. to make it worth the time.

Give it a chance fellas lets see what the new leadership has in store for this year.

If they listened to mine and others suggestions we will see tv, radio and bill boards for the show.
    My exact words were: for the love of pinball , Chicago is the mountain of pinball, put on a show like it still is!!

Have a great day
    see ya next month
    Pincades
    JT

#181 10 months ago

I would be another to say Expo Brawl is a great event and one of my favorite expo pastimes, I sure hope that continues, it has been well run and well attended, I always meet new pinball folks from around the world there...
    robcraig I hope you guys can make that happen again.. I think pinside member CRWgxp ran with it last year but I could be wrong.

#182 10 months ago
    Quoted from RobCraig:

More questions? Ask them here, I'll answer if I can.

Will there be a Stern Factory Tour? And is there a chance for an American Pinball or Chicago Gaming Factory Tour?

#183 10 months ago
    Quoted from LoveNeverDiesGuy:

Will there be a Stern Factory Tour? And is there a chance for an American Pinball or Chicago Gaming Factory Tour?

Stern Tour on!!

#184 10 months ago
    Quoted from Jamaster10:

I'll feed a little input here: We all know in the past that the show has spiraled downhill, but with some new leadership we hope it all gets back to the fun and excitement it used to be. I myself contemplated as well as a few others I know about attending and setting up this year. It has not been a money maker for the past 4-5 years from what it used to be. Money loser was more like it. I could show up in the past and sell enough pins and parts etc. to make it worth the time.
    Give it a chance fellas lets see what the new leadership has in store for this year.
    If they listened to mine and others suggestions we will see tv, radio and bill boards for the show.
    My exact words were: for the love of pinball , Chicago is the mountain of pinball, put on a show like it still is!!
    Have a great day
    see ya next month
    Pincades
    JT

There is an small piece in a local paper about upcoming shows 1-2 days ago.

#185 10 months ago

Just got an advert email from Expo about tournaments. OMG SO MANY TOURNAMENTS, there's like, the main one there always is, some side game tournament on Houdini and then 5 non-pinball related tournaments.

Um... Yay?

#186 10 months ago

I had a blast with ExpoBrawl the last 3 years and I'd LOVE to play again this year, but it's noticeably absent from the show schedule and the promotional email talking up the tournaments that just went out (mentioned above by epthegeek ).

My drama insight is limited so I could be ENTIRELY wrong, but I think ExpoBrawl was primarily run by some of the Ohio crew who brought a lot of games each year and are no longer attending due to the Expo show drama/split... they fell on the Pacak side of things. Can anyone confirm or correct?

#187 10 months ago

I can't confirm but from what I remember reading you have it mostly correct.

#188 10 months ago
    Quoted from LoveNeverDiesGuy:

As already stated and listed on the Expo website - the Stern Factory Tour is happening again. See the entire schedule in a similar format as in years past .... right here: http://www.pinballexpo.com/forms/PinballExpoSchEvents2018.pdf

As for other tours? I don't make that decision but .... I feel like something different *could* happen next year.

#189 10 months ago

It would be really nice if the new organizer would get to the bottom of this Brawl thing. Come on man...this is your show now. I can't believe your response was for Eric to contact the guy that ran it in the past. That's really not how running a show is supposed to work. You guys are advertising a ton of non-pinball related tournaments at PINBALL EXPO, yet can't tell us if one of the main PINBALL events is happening? I'm trying to keep an open mind about this years show, but having this lack of response about the main reason my group is planning to attend is not helping.

#190 10 months ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

It would be really nice if the new organizer would get to the bottom of this Brawl thing. Come on man...this is your show now. I can't believe your response was for Eric to contact the guy that ran it in the past. That's really not how running a show is supposed to work. You guys are advertising a ton of non-pinball related tournaments at PINBALL EXPO, yet can't tell us if one of the main PINBALL events is happening? I'm trying to keep an open mind about this years show, but having this lack of response about the main reason my group is planning to attend is not helping.

I opted out from attending this year merely due to the kack of communication and uncertainty of it all. Ill sit out a year and let them figure things out.

#191 10 months ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

[quoted image]

Ahh hadn't seen that.

#192 10 months ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I opted out from attending this year merely due to the kack of communication and uncertainty of it all. Ill sit out a year and let them figure things out.

poor choice. Support is needed to sustain and grow. Plus, Its things like this that is complete opposite of what you normally say. You are close enough to go and add to the freeplay hall. So if you skip a show in your backyard, you have to stay out of all the other conversations on pinside about it taking locals to
    make a show good, lol

Just really sucks when you hear people that are close to a show not get involved. Im a lot farther away and trying to see what all I can dig up to put in the show. Im even considering bringing a machine that would be stupid for me to let people beat on, but fuck it, A show cant be good if people whine and done participate

#193 10 months ago
    Quoted from vidgameseller:

poor choice. Support is needed to sustain and grow. Plus, Its things like this that is complete opposite of what you normally say. You are close enough to go and add to the freeplay hall. So if you skip a show in your backyard, you have to stay out of all the other conversations on pinside about it taking locals to
    make a show good, lol
    Just really sucks when you hear people that are close to a show not get involved. Im a lot farther away and trying to see what all I can dig up to put in the show. Im even considering bringing a machine that would be stupid for me to let people beat on, but fuck it, A show cant be good if people whine and done participate

I fully agree tha people need to support shows, but this is a two way street and it is just too late in the game w so little communication, organization, or info. My pto is far too Valuable to me and I already had one vacation completely fubar this year.
    Not gonna take the chance on a second one. Wife and I are going to go do something else for a fall vacation. If things go well then ill support in future years.

Worth note that I put lots of effort into my actual local shows, MGC and Mad Rollin Pinball.

Chicago is not really my local show. Drivable, but far from what I would consider local.

#194 10 months ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I fully agree tha people need to support shows, but this is a two way street and it is just too late in the game w so little communication, organization, or info. My pto is far too Valuable to me and I already had one vacation completely fubar this year.
    Not gonna take the chance on a second one. Wife and I are going to go do something else for a fall vacation. If things go well then ill support in future years.
    Worth note that I put lots of effort into my actual local shows, MGC and Mad Rollin Pinball.
    Chicago is not really my local show. Drivable, but far from what I would consider local.

I understand your point, but I'm going to take the chance to check it out. It could be a waste of several hundred dollars between hotel, gas, food, etc., but don't want to miss out if it turns out great. We have been to several different shows over the past few years, and a few were a waste of money for that kind of expense and we know for next year. Show organizers need to understand that they need to make it worth while for people to travel, pay for lodging and food, and still feel like it was worth it if they are targeting us to come to their show. This show really isn't "wooing us" this year. Two years ago Expo was worth it, last year it was really only worth it because of the Pinball life show and the JJPOTC reveal - not us much other cool, fun stuff at Expo. Seminars weren't as good or interesting. It would have been great for locals to visit - that wouldn't cost a lot of money. Last year what made it better was the people. We were more social and met some fun people and had some good discussions with vendors about their products (because not as many people were there). What some vendors may not realize is their in-person presentations of their products do also produce sales from us once we get home and think about it. We also saw and bought some stuff there which helped to make it more worth it to us. Meeting and talking with the pinball VIP's is also great. Some of those VIPs only show up for an "appearance" and then leave … stick around and talk with us pinball addicts. It helps to make things more interesting for the show. LTG is always good for a conversation or questions and there for a good part of these kind of shows. Eric at JJP has been at shows lately to socialize and talk/answer questions. Roger Sharpe will shake your hand with a smile. If this is the pinball "premier event" pinball VIPs can help to make it a better event (like these guys do). The autograph session is fantastic, but it is not really "socializing". The Stern-O-Rama has some pinball VIPs there - mingle around with us common folks please. Maybe we don't know your face or who you are. Please introduce yourself and tell us what you do.

Okay - I'll get off of my pinball box and just push the start button now.

#195 10 months ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

LTG is always good for a conversation or questions

Or mug. Or limited seminar mug.

LTG : )

#196 10 months ago

RobCraig there's apparently a huge disconnect between what you think is on/linked your web site and what's actually findable on your web site. Your web site is your clearing house. EVERYTHING (and I mean **everything**) NEEDS TO BE FINDABLE THERE. If I can't start at pinballexpo.net (or pinballexpo.com) and click on links to get to something, then it doesn't exist, full stop.

With that said...

Quoted from RobCraig:

The website has a lot of information about volunteering you can read but in short, you need to be physically able and experienced in moving pinball machines with pinball dollies and an overall friendly person (aren't all pinball people friendly??).

Where is this stated on the website? Home? No. Event info? No. Purchase? No. Vendors? No. Games? No. About us? No. Contact? Nope.

Turns out with some googlin' there is a volunteer page ( http://www.pinballexpo.net/volunteer.html ), but since this isn't linked off of pinballexpo.net nor pinballexpo.com, this is unfindable for your average person.

Also the volunteer page / application (wisely) says nothing about being experienced moving games. Why would you want that as a requirement for ALL volunteers? In the past people have volunteered to handle the bookkeeping side of things while others lugged games around. (And bless them for it, too... I certainly don't want to do that!) You need both types of volunteers; it's unwise to pre-disqualify one for the other. Yeah you don't need equal amounts, but you definitely need some from column A and some from column B.

Quoted from RobCraig:

As already stated and listed on the Expo website - the Stern Factory Tour is happening again. See the entire schedule in a similar format as in years past .... right here: http://www.pinballexpo.com/forms/PinballExpoSchEvents2018.pdf

Great link! Why isn't it linked anywhere on pinballexpo.net or pinballexpo.com?

EDIT: actually, it is linked, sort-of, at the bottom of every page, under the "event schedules" graphic. Mea culpa. However there's still problems. Critically those graphics & links don't show on mobile, where they're most likely to be needed! Also really bad is that the PDF schedule doesn't agree with the html schedule. If you (appear to) present the information as a regular web page I'm never going to download the PDF version, so they need to be in sync. (ex: none of the seminars are listed.)

Finally, let's stop trying to click links and instead use your site search to find things...

...DAMMIT:

expo search (resized).png

#197 10 months ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Not understanding what’s not clear, the schedule seems pretty detailed and packed.

http://www.pinballexpo.net/forms/PinballExpoSchEvents2018.pdf

#198 10 months ago

Website looks good to me.

#199 10 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Or mug. Or limited seminar mug.
    LTG : )

You gave my five year old son a coffee mug last year. Thanks a lot, now he's addicted to caffeine!!

#200 10 months ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

You gave my five year old son a coffee mug last year. Thanks a lot, now he's addicted to caffeine!!

It could have been a beer glass

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 229.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 34.99
    Cleaner
    Pinball Pro
    $ 17.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    BK Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 149.00
    $ 35.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 90.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    € 8.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 89.99
    There are 1658 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 34.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside