Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,674 posts
  • 270 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Joe_Blasi
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“For those that have attended the Expo Banquet before, what would you change?”

• Nothing 16 votes
      6%
    • Skip the fancy food, make it Burgers and Fries at a cheaper cost. 46 votes
      18%
    • Shorten the event, make it super cheap or free, and have no meal at all. 19 votes
      7%
    • I don't care about the banquet. 178 votes
      69%

(259 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_46311 (resized).jpg
    43BFFCCA-1 (resized).jpg
    pacak pickers (resized).png
    20181201_153948 (resized).jpg
    20181028_150630 (resized).jpg
    20181028_144801 (resized).jpg
    20181028_143202 (resized).jpg
    SteveRichieRum (resized).jpg
    20181019_184054 (resized).jpg
    20181018_125743 (resized).jpg
    20181020_194155 (resized).jpg
    20181020_231747 (resized).jpg
    20181017_193751 (resized).jpg
    20181020_161621 (resized).jpg
    20181018_180035 (resized).jpg
    20181020_144751 (resized).jpg
    There are 1,674 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 34.
    #1501 5 years ago

I thought the vendor room was great, I bought several items. But I wish it was open earlier on fri and less so on sat. What I’d love to see is a flea market room. Not for my cat as he already has plenty, but for small one off items from small sellers. Maybe put it with the video games. Have small 4x6 tables that people can occupy for four hour blocks. Love to see broken boards, project cabinets, books, whatever pin/arcade related.

#1502 5 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Missed a few I would have liked to have seen, since so easy to lose track of time.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PinballNewsVideos

#1503 5 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Be good if free game room and vendor room were open to each other, when they are both open.

This!

#1504 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Challenge accepted.

Honestly, that should be a show thing. A pin challenge card with every pin listed, and you have to play them all. Pins that die during the show are no excuse, so everyone would hit the pins that are most unreliable first.

#1505 5 years ago

I want expobrawl back. It is a highlight of expos of the past. I have met, played and discussed pinball with all kinds of folks of various places/ countries. Expo is better with the expo brawl. If some folks dont want their games to be in it, then they can just say so. Or do it in one of the other rooms.. but find a way. My 2c.

#1506 5 years ago

Regarding signage: the hotel's own daily-activity displays (on big screens in portrait) were actually informative in matters of show events and navigation. Expo staff put up lots of signs, but it seems like there are always people who find incompletenesses.

If you want to provide constructive feedback about incompleteness of the signage, please specify both what you wanted to locate and where you were when the question arose in your mind. For example, "I was in Rob Anthony's room and wanted to figure out how to get to the seminars."
    .................David Marston

#1507 5 years ago
    Quoted from PINTEC:

Suggest no Video games at Pinball Expo seems like this was a last ditch effort to fill a hole after purchasing ALL the space at the hotel so to block Mike to not to try "have his show" in any form.

Have disagree, bumped into a number of people that enjoyed them. Thought it was a great way to spread the crowd over multiple rooms. Heck in future years it might allow others to share in both hobbies or bring in more people to enjoy the show.

#1508 5 years ago

I want to clarify a little about the repair system at Pintastic, because remarks like "I didn't realize we should call the owners" apply at Expo but not at Pintastic. At Pintastic, we have game cards and the owner's name at a minimum. The owner may provide a phone number or email on the card, which is more about selling the game. The card also has instructions about reporting problems into our repair-ticket system. Members of the Tech Team from Pintastic respond to tickets in the queue according to their respective skills and aptitudes, and there are guidelines for when they should contact the game owner.

We have a whiteboard, but it is mainly to be used for messages from Pintastic staff to game-bringers. Repair tickets can be entered in a variety of ways, including written paper forms. We have plans for several improvements for 2019.

#1509 5 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

I want to clarify a little about the repair system at Pintastic, because remarks like "I didn't realize we should call the owners" apply at Expo but not at Pintastic. At Pintastic, we have game cards and the owner's name at a minimum. The owner may provide a phone number or email on the card, which is more about selling the game. The card also has instructions about reporting problems into our repair-ticket system. Members of the Tech Team from Pintastic respond to tickets in the queue according to their respective skills and aptitudes, and there are guidelines for when they should contact the game owner.
    We have a whiteboard, but it is mainly to be used for messages from Pintastic staff to game-bringers. Repair tickets can be entered in a variety of ways, including written paper forms. We have plans for several improvements for 2019.

Please don’t take this negative. I like the system and feel it works with the correct number of techs. Do you ever find anyone abusing the system with games that need too much work?

#1510 5 years ago

Xpo is now treading water, and not well. It will sink, the locals will watch it happen with non-locals no longer coming to watch the ship break into two distinct pieces and much lost for later discover on the History Channel.

#1511 5 years ago

I'm still up. Thanks Expo.

#1512 5 years ago
    Quoted from SuperDaveOsbourn:

Xpo is now treading water, and not well. It will sink, the locals will watch it happen with non-locals no longer coming to watch the ship break into two distinct pieces and much lost for later discover on the History Channel.

English-motherfr-do-you-speak-it (resized).jpgEnglish-motherfr-do-you-speak-it (resized).jpg
    #1513 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Must have been all of that coffee!!!!!

#1514 5 years ago
    2ktz3b (resized).jpg2ktz3b (resized).jpg
    #1515 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

[quoted image]

A game or two, here and there.....

#1516 5 years ago

I would be too, If I would have made it this year! Missed getting drunk and playing pinball with ya Gryszzz! Next year for sure, and maybe I can get my head poked into a TNT vid.

#1517 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

He's alive!!! It's been seven days since you last posted. That must have been one crazy Expo if it took you a week to recover!!!

#1518 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

must have been one crazy Expo

Is it any other way with Gryszzz? Security called on him three nights in a row (shocker!). Just glad nobody was hurt.

#1519 5 years ago
    Quoted from ViolinSteve:

Is it any other way with Gryszzz? Security called on him three nights in a row (shocker!). Just glad nobody was hurt.

We were on the same floor, a few doors down. We could hear it all...

#1520 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

We could hear it all...

Fortunately, I had my own room, on a different floor, all the way at the end. My safe zone.

#1521 5 years ago
    Quoted from ViolinSteve:

Fortunately, I had my own room, on a different floor, all the way at the end. My safe zone.

Good call.

#1522 5 years ago
    Quoted from waldo34:

Have disagree, bumped into a number of people that enjoyed them. Thought it was a great way to spread the crowd over multiple rooms. Heck in future years it might allow others to share in both hobbies or bring in more people to enjoy the show.

This is a pinball themed venue anything pinball:
    Pinball seminars,
    Pinball tournaments,
    Pinball parts and supplies,
    Speakers discussing pinball,
    Pinball News.

Never implied video games were not cool or not fun, there are several venues where its everything arcade related is mixed. already been done.

#1523 5 years ago

I personally like having video games at the Expo.

#1524 5 years ago

I don't get why some people are so vehemently opposed to the arcade games. It's not like they were taking up space that could have been used for pins.

#1526 5 years ago

So the show isn't allowed to evolve? Look at MGC. Basically the exact opposite happened. People love that show, and it didn't start off with any pins at all. In fact, I think it was originally some kind of Atari Jaguar enthusiast club.

#1527 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

So the show isn't allowed to evolve? Look at MGC. Basically the exact opposite happened. People love that show, and it didn't start off with any pins at all. In fact, I think it was originally some kind of Atari Jaguar enthusiast club.

Yeah, it was rough to remember that the console museum is really the heart of what started that show when they were scraping a big chunk of the pin/arcade space out for it last year. heh!

#1528 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

With the entry door on the 'front' hall and the high number of games to play in the main vendor hall (several free play banks, pin stadiums huge row, american pinball's bank, jjps bank, sterns setup, cgc) I think a good number of people never even went down the hall to the freeplay room.
    I know traffic in Rob's room was down, I've heard comments that the free play hall wasn't crowded at any point and every time I was in that hallway it seemed pretty barren.

I was there all day Friday. Most of the work hours the free play room was not too bad. But around 3, it got pretty busy. Between 3 and 6, it was annoying. Lines for most of the unbroken non-EM games. Everyone was waiting for the vendor hall to open. Had it been open, it would have been fine. I would have left earlier in the day if I didn't have to wait so long to make it into the vendor hall. Opening that late sucked for us day trippers.

I also didn't know about the "other" room until I was on my way out and walked down the hall to go to my car. Signage could have been WAY better.

#1529 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

You are correct. It started as a Jaguar user group in a hotel in Rochester, MN(IIRC). Fast forward several years later, and Wizard of Oz pinball is revealed there, with thousands in attendance.

You can still mail order tickets to Expo, no? Heh

#1530 5 years ago

Had a good time at Expo.
    I was glad I volunteered and could help out where & when I was able. (hopefully it was good enough for the naysayers, to volunteer next year)
    Thanks to Rob Craig & Darren leading our rag-tag bunch.

Evel Knievel (SS) = 589 total plays
    Night Rider (SS) = 340 total plays (was apparently 'down' Thurs night/Fri morn, for a simple flipped rubber on a slingshot)
    (both machines there Weds - Sunday)

#1531 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

it was berks, and cool. bonus, since it was pure EM and no mechanicals on the field it actually worked well.

Wrong. Read the card on the machine. It says Neo Skywalker.

#1532 5 years ago

My 2 cents
    Expo was awesome!
    More games in the free play areas this year than in any recent year I can remember!
    I liked the video crossover as thats how I got started in this hobby
    Lots of cools and unique games.
    Well organized and the groupon was a bonus

Maybe next year I bring a few games......

#1533 5 years ago

Video Games? This was presented to the team about 6 months ago as an option. I was for it. Here are a few reasons .. selfish or not.
    - Video games and the golden SS era of pinball co-existed for some years in the late 70's into early 80's. These are super nostalgic.
    - Video game people are often passionate about pinball too, they just don't get to experience it publicly. Drawing some of them in is a good thing.
    - Galloping Ghost is a very cool place, a Chicago venue, made sense to have them there if we had the room. We got the room, they came. Doc is great!
    - Shows have changed since the late 90's and early 2000's. There are more of them, and many feature this golden arcade era of games. Why not? This is a reboot year.
    - Many video games were manufactured by pinball companies and shared some of the same talent. Gottlieb, Stern, Williams, Bally/Midway, all had video divisions or licensed video product to manufacture. This history is precious to many of them. I find it all interesting too.
    Will it come back in the same way next year? I don't know, but I would think they are welcome. Ted seawolf was very key in the video game lineup in the freeplay room. He had 15 classics lined up and at one time, all were being played on that back wall. ALL OF THEM at a pinball expo. Amazing. Ted, I appreciate you bringing your games and should have thanked you in that ridiculously long post a couple days ago. You're a great guy!

#1534 5 years ago

I've never had a "bad" Expo, but this was one of THE best. Security was a little too enthusiastic, but they're just doing their jobs.
    I really missed seeing the door guy that's been at every Expo prior. I always looked forward to catching up with him.
    This year's highlight: Presley Franchi.
    IMG_99131 (resized).jpgIMG_99131 (resized).jpg
    IMG_99161_01 (resized).jpgIMG_99161_01 (resized).jpg
    IMG_99171 (resized).jpgIMG_99171 (resized).jpg
    IMG_45681 (resized).jpgIMG_45681 (resized).jpg
    20181019_212009 (resized).jpg20181019_212009 (resized).jpg
    20181019_174730(1) (resized).jpg20181019_174730(1) (resized).jpg
    20181019_232213 (resized).jpg20181019_232213 (resized).jpg
    20181020_015350(1) (resized).jpg20181020_015350(1) (resized).jpg
    20181020_015358 (resized).jpg20181020_015358 (resized).jpg
    20181019_143815 (resized).jpg20181019_143815 (resized).jpg
    20181021_125040 (resized).jpg20181021_125040 (resized).jpg
    20181019_151202 (resized).jpg20181019_151202 (resized).jpg

#1535 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Thanks, that’s very nice of you to say this, we just loved being there. I showed this to Mrs. L and she was really happy to read it. The DI CE in our booth is owned by Rob Berk that he lent us for the show. I modded it with an rgb flashing mod and our DI sidelights mod. Game held up without a hitch the entire show.

My son really enjoyed the modded out DI.

#1536 5 years ago

Lermods and wife are GREAT peoples. They were always smiling!

#1537 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I've never had a "bad" Expo, but this was one of THE best.

I bet you didn't even drain your car battery.

#1538 5 years ago

Hahaha. Love how all of Gryszzz’s photos are blurry.

#1539 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Maybe I shouldn't have given him my extra drink tickets at the Pinball Life party.

#1540 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Wtf you talkin bout Willis?
    Like they were taken with my pupils and no camera was even involved.

#1541 5 years ago

It was great meeting Gryszzz. It was for not long enough, I'm sure we could have'old punk rocker' bonded longer. Next time.

I'm cool with the vids, start some crossover and mix up the seminars. With pinball we know all of those stories already, get some fresh meat in there.

Just need to get the power figured out ahead of time.

-c

#1542 5 years ago

Gryszzz is good people. Wish we had more time to hang out! I kept getting pulled away!

#1543 5 years ago

Doesn't happen often you know exactly who someone is without even asking. Lol... Death metal shirt, check. Drink in hand, check. Smilin...check!

#1544 5 years ago

Haha thanks mar dudes! You know I love you all!
    I think the REAL highlight of Expo this year was getting Target Alpha home and set-up and everything is working. Honestly think I played more games on it than any other new pin I've bought. Last night I played till 4 am. Been up till 4 every night this week THANKS EXPO.

#1545 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobCraig:Many video games were manufactured by pinball companies and shared some of the same talent. Gottlieb, Stern, Williams, Bally/Midway, all had video divisions or licensed video product to manufacture. This history is precious to many of them. I find it all interesting too.

Rob has opened a 55 gal drum of woop ass on Robotron many times.

Robotron (resized).pngRobotron (resized).png
    #1546 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobCraig:

Wrong. Read the card on the machine. It says Neo Skywalker.

I couldn't read the card, I wrote that on Tuesday and was trying to remember what I saw Friday. I saw the correction but couldn't respond to a hot topic.

#1547 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobCraig:

Video Games? This was presented to the team about 6 months ago as an option. I was for it. Here are a few reasons .. selfish or not.
    - Video games and the golden SS era of pinball co-existed for some years in the late 70's into early 80's. These are super nostalgic.
    - Video game people are often passionate about pinball too, they just don't get to experience it publicly. Drawing some of them in is a good thing.
    - Galloping Ghost is a very cool place, a Chicago venue, made sense to have them there if we had the room. We got the room, they came. Doc is great!
    - Shows have changed since the late 90's and early 2000's. There are more of them, and many feature this golden arcade era of games. Why not? This is a reboot year.
    - Many video games were manufactured by pinball companies and shared some of the same talent. Gottlieb, Stern, Williams, Bally/Midway, all had video divisions or licensed video product to manufacture. This history is precious to many of them. I find it all interesting too.
    Will it come back in the same way next year? I don't know, but I would think they are welcome. Ted seawolf was very key in the video game lineup in the freeplay room. He had 15 classics lined up and at one time, all were being played on that back wall. ALL OF THEM at a pinball expo. Amazing. Ted, I appreciate you bringing your games and should have thanked you in that ridiculously long post a couple days ago. You're a great guy!

Yeah Ted is an amazing guy
    He pointed me in the direction of a seller and drove to Ohio with me to pick up a game I really wanted
    We talked the entire way there and the time just flew by...
    except for when he had to stop and shit his taco's from the night before
    Thank god we made it to a bathroom when we did.......
    And I think it was a big disappointment that he didn't bring one of his 2 robotrons to expo
    Perhaps its because he didn't want everyone to know that I own the high scores on both of them...... just sayin
    LOL
    IMG_5545 (resized).jpgIMG_5545 (resized).jpg

#1548 5 years ago

Some fuckin pussies on floor four just sayin.

#1549 5 years ago

It's cool. I pissed all over yer door handles anyway.

#1550 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I've never had a "bad" Expo, but this was one of THE best. Security was a little too enthusiastic, but they're just doing their jobs.
    I really missed seeing the door guy that's been at every Expo prior. I always looked forward to catching up with him.
    This year's highlight: Presley Franchi.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Sweet pics, looks like you captured the spirit of Expo. I enjoyed your pics. Next year will be even better..

There are 1,674 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 34.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-2018-reboot-wheeling-il/page/31?hl=brewninja and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.